Recently Completed Games Page 328

• Page

of 395 First / Last

• King_Edward 3 May 2013 09:50:06 11,454 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I liked SC: Conviction. Didn't get on with Hitman Absolution though. I think the changes they made in Conviction worked a lot better.
  • coomber 4 May 2013 18:53:10 309 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dragon Age 2

Finally got round to playing it and, as Dragon Age: Origins was my GOTY when it came out, hugely disappointed (though not surprised after all the flak the game took).

The graphics were passable when DA:o was released (arguably not even that). Two years later and they were just not up to it.

The re-using of areas felt natural around the city. I quite liked it. Felt like I was playing Yakuza, and it makes sense. A city should feel familiar if you're living there for years. But what I couldn't believe was how every other evil mage and his mates decided to set up camp within the same cave. Shutting off different areas within the cave with nonsensical 'doors' just screamed out 'done on the cheap'.

Then there are the bugs, the worst one being the companion quest which fails to fire the final part, making it impossible to complete.

And finally, the dialogue. Bioware really should get someone who can write on board. 'Colour me impressed' when I return from completing a mission? Why stop there? Why not just say have someone say 'Whooooooah! Duuuuude!' and be done with it? Even worse is the childish sexual innuendo from one of the companions, which in the end made me hand her over to the Qunari just because she was so annoying.

There is plenty of buck for your bang as you'd expect - though hardly surprising seeing as they use the same resources time and time again - and I felt the structure of the game was original. You weren't there to save the world, just make your mark on a city, and you get to make real choices, that are not the usual Bioware 'Blue is good, red is bad'.

All in all a decent game to get on the cheap but the Bioware of old is very much dead.

6/10
  • sirtacos 5 May 2013 09:20:05 7,205 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dead Space 3

I think EG's review was spot-on.

I found the game as a whole much creepier than most people give it credit for.

I loved the suit designs, I loved the crafting system, and the combat is weighty and meaty as usual.

I've always liked the 'Event Horizon meets The Thing meets Alien meets Bioshock IN SPACE' concept, ever since Dead Space 1. However, that concept starts to wear thin during the final chapters... and it gets worse the more it starts looking like Mass Effect*.

Anyway I enjoyed it so much that I decided to spend money on Awakened, the supposedly mediocre and overpriced DLC. I'll see how that goes.

7/10

*Regarding the uncanny similarities between Dead Space and Mass Effect: Necromorph moons are basically Reapers.
    DS' Codex = ME's Crucible.
    The 'indoctrination'/mind-bending is similar in both games.
    Even Shepard's flashback (where she sees the death of an ancient civilisation) looks like Isaac's flashback, in which he sees the mass extinction of an ancient alien species.
    I don't know where I'm going with this. It's just something I noticed.

Edited by sirtacos at 09:35:55 05-05-2013
  • CharlieStCloud 5 May 2013 09:30:01 4,700 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    Anyway I enjoyed it so much that I decided to spend money on Awakened, the supposedly mediocre and overpriced DLC. I'll see how that goes.
    Oh dear, oh dear.

... have you not even popped into the Dead Space 3 thread on here?

Awakened is truly one of, if not the worse DLC this generation and Eurogamer were actually surprisingly generous with their 4/10 review.

These words are coming from a Dead Space fan and after the (fairly average) third one, I have no real desire to play them again ... or any future games in this series for that matter.
  • sirtacos 5 May 2013 09:38:04 7,205 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Uh oh.
    I heard that Awakened brings back the creepiness of DS3's predecessors. The main criticisms I'm aware of concern its short length.

I hope it's not as bad as you say, especially since buying it went against my principles, sort of.

Edited by sirtacos at 09:43:30 05-05-2013
  • Deleted user 5 May 2013 19:29:32
    Luigis Mansion 2

A really good game, that i just enjoyed playing.

+Atmosphere, attention to detail and finesse. The mansions were alive, the amount of stuff you can interact with, and the animations that accompany them are fantastic, continously put a smile on my face. The amount of small secrets, by just playing with background objects is great, i don't think i seen a game that uses background objects so well.

+Gameplay is varied, well judged, and tactile. Although in a sense the game is pretty linear, the adventure puzzle game is alive in this game, theres no pointless trekking or just moving through corridors in this. The various uses of the hoover, UV light is great.

+ Cartoon humour, sound and animations. The 3d looks greats, and you do get the feeling you are looking through a clear window.

+Some great bosses.
    +Levels are concise, not taking up to much time. Range from 10-30 minutes.

- Balance beams! gah
    - No save points in levels - Didn't really effect me, but i could see why this would infuriate people

10/10 Really impressed.
  • OptimusPube 6 May 2013 20:10:46 2,426 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Finally after all these years I've completed Beneath a Steel Sky, I wasn't trying for all that time I just gave up on it all them years ago on the good old Amiga but now I feel a great sense of accomplishment, absolutely cracking game and still holds up today.

Thoroughly enjoyable. The humour is hysterical. 10/10

Is it supposed to be like this?

• YenooR 6 May 2013 22:27:07 526 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Kingdom of Amalur.
    Enjoyable game,nice graphics good story.Might continue with the side quests to the the platinum.
    8/10
  • glaeken 7 May 2013 13:09:07 10,978 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sleeping dogs - 9/10 - Great fun open world game. Everything worked well. Hand to hand fighting, shooting, driving, character control (no rock star style silly turning circle), lots of varied activities, good check pointing in long missions, story and setting.

If I had to fault it for anything the game engine does not always have the best draw distance and overall it's not as pretty a game engine as GTA's though it does run at a smoother frame rate. GTA could definitely learn a thing or two from the combat as hand to hand and shooting piss all over rock star's efforts in this area.

I do prefer the driving model in GTA but the Sleeping dogs one is still pretty fun once you get the hang of power sliding around every corner. Itís far more arcady than GTA in this regard.

For the £18 I picked this up for it was a real bargain.

Edited by glaeken at 13:09:42 07-05-2013
  • nickthegun 7 May 2013 13:16:10 56,034 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The darkness 2: Jenny! Jenny! Jenny! Jenny! Jenny! Jenny! Jenny! Jenny! Jenny! Jenny! Jenny! Jenny! Jenny! Jenny! Jenny! Jenny! Jenny! Jenny! Jenny! Jenny! Jenny! Jenny! Jenny! Jenny! /10

Here's an idea, next time you choose a host for the darkness, try to not pick such a whiny little bitch.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• imamazed 7 May 2013 13:56:08 5,455 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Leave Jenny alone!
  • munki83 7 May 2013 19:28:46 1,332 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've finished 3 great games in a row so here is a quick review of the two most recent games and a slightly longer one for the oldest game I finished

Halo 4 single player 7/10

Was not expecting much from Halo 4 but the single player game really surprised me at being fun and engaging. The multiplayer was a little yawn but the single player was great fun and was worth the £15 or so it cost me to get it. However 343 need to work on their level design as I managed to get lost a few times, but that could be me being a dumb dumb.

Far Cry: Blood Dragon. 9/10

Finished this in 2 sittings. Was just a great blast finish to end with a lot of cheese. It would of been better if it was a lot less red but for the price I had great fun. To me it suits Far Cry 3's gameplay mechanics a lot better than the main game. I have the same feeling about GTAIV and Red Dead Redemption.

Planescape Torment 8/10

I know this may make a few people raise their eyebrow and 8/10 is such a generic score on this site but despite the age of the game I really enjoyed PST and I think its the lack of some features and its history that slightly ruined it for me. Its taken me 3 attempts and a few years to finish this game. The first 2 attempts I couldn't get out the first few screens but I was determined to finish this since I invested in the kickstarter for the new one. After getting further into the game I got really engrossed with it. The story and the story telling is fantastic but the game makes it far too easy to miss a door or npc as there is no way to highlight interactive objects. Also the combat is poor you can get away with not fighting a lot in the game and for a D&D game there isn't much combat which is a blessing. I also played using a bunch of guides and stuff as I just wanted to enjoy the story. Anyway I'm rambling now so to cut it short great game, great ending, crap combat. Can't wait for more
  • Armoured_Bear 7 May 2013 23:11:27 8,784 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Lego City Undercover (Wii U)

It took a few missions to get going but 3/4 of the game was glorious, loads of fun, nice looking, funny, enjoyable story, full of imagination and completely silly.
    Scores of hours of gameplay and a huge, enjoyable city to explore.
    Special mention must be given to the final mission which is utterly superb and had me grinning like a look.

It looks nice but is far from a technical marvel, really misses some AA and the draw distance, framerate could be much better, wouldn't be surprised if it was sub HD either.

9/10

Edited by Armoured_Bear at 13:54:05 12-05-2013

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• figaro7 10 May 2013 11:37:12 1,343 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lego City Undercover

+Humour
    +Compact yet varied world
    +Excellent Missions
    +Neat upgrade, disguise system
    +Nod to movies during the game
    +Fun
    +Plethora of exploration and side quests
    +Excellent voice cast
    +Adequate use of the wii u gamepad

-Graphics are hit and miss
    -Gameplay feels ropey at times
    -Framerate and popup issues
    -Loading times...............loading times

One of the best open world games ive played in years, the technical hiccups dont get in the way of this wonderful, humour filled world of lego.

9/10
  • Rhaegyr 10 May 2013 11:58:30 1,125 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hotline Miami (PC)

Good game, great story and amazing soundtrack.

Gemini Rue (PC)

Noir-style adventure game with some ill-advised shooting mechanics. Great story though and with a great retro art-style. Recommended to fans of pretty much any LucasArts adventure title (or film noir fans).

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (GC)

Recently completed this again and it was as brilliant as it was the first time round. This game runs on pure charm. The graphics are perfect for the style, the gameplay is engaging, nuanced and quite deep. I found it similar to Metroid in aspects, especially attaining abilities and revisiting previous areas you couldn't before. The general storyline isn't anything to shout about but the characters and the situations they find themselves in are hilarious - there's a wit to the game that sadly many other games are missing. This game has so many memorable moments - the wrestling pit, the elder puni, crows talking about 100MB 'fat pipes', the train murder mystery, Don Pinata, thwomp's quizzes, the x-nauts, mario getting his identity stolen and of course...

RAWK HAWK!

Edited by Rhaegyr at 12:55:53 10-05-2013
  • lordofdeadside 10 May 2013 13:37:09 1,080 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bioshock Infinite - 360

Unbelievable, really fantastic. I'm not sure I've enjoyed a game more in the last few years, I was waiting for work to finish everyday to get home and play more!

Looks great (for a 360 title), has a wonderful style and sense of place, but it's the story really delivers. Immediately played the last third again, wonderful stuff.

My favourite video-game trilogy!

10/10
  • Gunzberg 10 May 2013 18:16:30 936 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Far Cr 3: Blood Dragon

10/10

Got for an absolute steal at 9 pounds. Brilliant easter eggs, one liners, script, action.

Came out of nowhere and rocked - and that final level. Mwahahaha!

Sheer Brilliance

Bioshock Infinite

Nice but felt like Deja vu 8/10

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• Megapocalypse 10 May 2013 18:34:36 5,230 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Assassin's Creed - Revelations - 7/10

Not as good as 2 or Brotherhood but still fun.
  • Deleted user 11 May 2013 16:56:26
    FEAR 3

Ahhh.. Uhm. Well. I really don't know what to make of this. As a FEAR game it failed bigtime on plot (WAS there one? I read Steve Niles and John Carpenter were consulted, for what exactly? I had no clue through the whole game what I was doing or why) and wasn't scary or even creepy in the least. It felt far too short, some animation and graphics was distinctly sub-par. Felt like I was getting boss fights and wave battles far too often. I hated the whole arcadyness to it, the levelling up, the constant pop-ups in the bottom of the screen. I hated the psychic links, another immersion ruining device, some bodies were smoking, then I click on them and they disappear... HUH? The oppressive atmosphere of the first two games was gone and not enough REPLICA forces to fight dammit. I love fighting REPLICA but here they played second fiddle to generic armacham security and you don't even get told anywhere in game that they are REPLICA at all.

Right, now that's out the way. Shit, did I not have a thoroughly good time with this! The combat was nailed, totally. best in the series by far. The cover worked great, the weapons felt meaty and powerful, Aiming was good. The melee attacks stayed in and used copiously as they were incredibly effective (can't beat ramming the slo-mo on, running at a couple of grunts, shooting one in the face as you jump and kick the other guy into a wall). The grunt ai was top notch and provided a hell of a good challenge. After creeping through each level as Point-man, the option to go all out psycho with Fettel was welcome and I had fantastic fun playing as him, completing missions in a third of the time and causing absolute mayhem along the way.

Would have liked the scares and a better story, longer game and less of an arcadey feel, but saved through brilliant game mechanics and a few genuinely awesome moments.

7/10 and only because:
    FEAR (8/10)
    FEAR 2 (9/10)
    It's not as good overall as the others in the series.
  • Pure-Ultra 11 May 2013 21:57:44 736 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tomb Raider - easily a 9/10. Better than the uncharteds imho.
  • Bremenacht 11 May 2013 22:43:01 15,819 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (GC)
    Ach. I am jealous. That is one classic GC game I regret not getting.

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• Bremenacht 11 May 2013 22:44:05 15,819 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    FEAR (8/10)
    FEAR 2 (9/10)
    FEAR2 better than FEAR? I remember it being reviewed poorly.

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• Deleted user 12 May 2013 00:53:51
    @Bremenacht not by me it wasn't. Can't speak for anyone else but I think it's the best one out the lot.
  • Rhaegyr 12 May 2013 12:18:32 1,125 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Bremenacht

I'd seriously consider trying to find a copy - it holds up amazingly well in all aspects, even on a 42 inch HDTV. Just had a quick browse online though and the prices are bloody high - makes me think I'm sitting on a possible goldmine with a 50+ GC collection.

Due to the massive backlog I have I've rarely completed single player games more than once over the last ten years. The only others I can think of along with this are Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime, Ninja Gaiden and SotC. Can't recommend it enough!
  • PazJohnMitch 12 May 2013 15:41:20 7,314 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Unit 13

Really quite enjoyed this. It has a fairly narrow scope but it does everything well. Essentially it is a shooter with set scenarios but with a point scoring mechanic. Unlike Bulletstorm it does not try to be wacky, everything is solid old school style shooting. No fancy kill types just multipliers for killing people swiftly and cleanly. Also bonuses for finishing objectives without been spotted.

5 starred all the missions and killed all the High Value Targets but could not be bothered to grind out the platinum. (More due to a backlog of other games than an fault of this one).

Overall it is solid but not revolutionary.

7/10
  • Tomo 12 May 2013 20:25:19 13,841 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I Am Alive - 8/10

The EG review is spot on with this. Great atmosphere, decent story, great but underdeveloped combat, a platforming mechanic superior to Uncharted's and some thin script-writing. An excellent 5 hours all-in-all though, and much more interesting than most games out at the moment.
  • von_Doll 12 May 2013 21:39:28 2,097 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

+ Best title screen ever

- Fiddly blade mode, poor tutorials, utterly bland environments, repetitive enemies, horrific, tissue-thin b-movie 'plot', worst camera I've seen in ages.

Yet, I enjoyed it enough. The game was rocking a 7/10 on combat alone until I hit the final boss, then I had a gamepad-crushing hissyfit and dropped it to 2/10 in sheer frustration.

Then I beat the fucker, and the sense of satisfaction brought it back up to a 7/10.

Yes dear, I'm linking your new website everwhere I go. see - www.alldogsgotoerinn.com

• Gunzberg 12 May 2013 22:15:06 936 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Black Ops 2 85%

Enjoyed the single-player a lot.

MP was the usual and Zombies was forgettable. For 25 Euros I was happily satisfied. More than vs MW 3

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• Triggerhappytel 13 May 2013 00:02:23 2,664 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

Really enjoyed this overall; I played it on Hard and did all the side missions and collectibles before continuing with the story past the first couple of mandatory missions. The humour is superb and I loved the cutscenes, the music is bloody awesome and I've been listening to it all week, and I felt the environment was just the right size. The mission design was generally excellent, with long levels that were interesting and extremely well paced, and I really liked the arsenal of weapons.

The only real faults are a visual style that gets very tiring on the eyes, fairly crappy car controls and it's way too easy on Normal difficulty. Top game overall though that's great value at £10ish.

Mark IV style, mutha fucka!
  • SFD 13 May 2013 03:30:20 471 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ni No Kuni

Overall I enjoy the game, but it's seriously lacking in some areas and most reviewers over scored it IMHO.

+ excellent graphics
    + good music
    + lots to do
    + pretty good story
    + drippy

- easy combat
    - most of the game isn't voiced
    - terrible A.I

I'd give it 7/10
  • Page

of 395 First / Last