Recently Completed Games Page 327

• Page

of 412 First / Last

• Deleted user 23 April 2013 23:59:01
    imamazed wrote:
    DFawkes wrote:
    One of my games of the year it was in, easily. I found there was generally tons to do, and it was all fun (apart from a particularly tricky Insurance Fraud) and the commitment to silliness meant the writing was generally pretty good, or at the very least consistent. I laughed quite a few times too :) I find the gunplay really satisfying too, especially as you get the later upgrades.

As with everything though, the amount of enjoyment you'll get out of it is entirely subjective, so if you didn't enjoy it then fair enough. I can totally understand that if you're not into the tone of the game within the first hour, you probably won't find anything in it to change your mind.
    Yeh that's fair. I'm not here to say it's wrong to enjoy it or anything. I know lots of people really enjoyed it, which is baffling to me, but good for them I suppose! The upgrades were done well actually yeh, that's fair enough. But the actual stuff you do was so repetitive I didn't really care much. I don't necessarily think it's an awful game, but certain aspects of it definitely felt cheap and glitchy. Mind you, it's always been like that.
    Saints row 3 was ok. I still havn;t completed it, but have returned a couple of times to have a play. Its generally fun, but theres no real meat to it, for me it felt a bit like tick of what you can do and be done with it. I guess its just one of those games that suits a mood.

I could play round after round of dr genki shootouts all day though.
  • Matt36 24 Apr 2013 00:14:06 1,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I personally found Saints Row 3 hilarious, simple action, enjoyable and an all round better playing experience than GTA.
  • Armoured_Bear 24 Apr 2013 00:19:00 11,280 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's fun for an hour or so then it's same as all the GTA clones - shite.
    Lego City on Wii U is teh best one.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Matt36 24 Apr 2013 00:43:49 1,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    But I think GTA is shite.
  • sirtacos 24 Apr 2013 01:59:14 7,280 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Saint's Row seems like it'd be boring for solo play, but probably good fun with a few mates.
  • Ultrasoundwave 24 Apr 2013 11:07:57 3,305 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gears of War : Judgement

Finished the campaign yesterday and, to go completely against the grain, i thought it was the best Gears yet.
    I've played every game in the series so far with Gears 2 being my personal favourite until this came along. Personally, i loved the changes that People Can Fly made to the formula : the stars system, the control adjustments and the new weapons (Breechshot FTW) all improved the game brilliantly.

I've never really bothered with the MP on Gears, but as far as the campaign goes this game gets a rock-solid 8/10.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• LockeTribal 24 Apr 2013 18:05:33 4,515 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finished the last of the Borderlands DLC, Claptrap's New Robot Revolution. Very enjoyable and in keeping with the series' humour. That last fight against MINAC is pretty tough, apart from that it didn't feel like there was too much of a threat anywhere (PT1 by the way). That's the whole thing played through with Roland now, unsure of whether to start a new playthrough with someone else or just fly on to Borderlands 2.
  • Ultrasoundwave 25 Apr 2013 13:41:50 3,305 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Journey

Despite buying this at launch fucking ages ago, i have only got around to playing it the last few days.

Its definitely a special game : a unique experience that stays with you for a while after finishing. I'll be honest, my initial reaction upon finishing it was that its a story about death.

Obviously, everyone has a different interpretation about the game and what it actually means, but in my head i saw it as a journey through the afterlife.

Overall, its a beautiful game, not only in appearance but also the soundtrack and general concept leave a lasting impression. The "online co-op" is also a unique experience and i highly recommend going through the game with someone else if you can.

Very short, but very sweet.

9/10

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• jabberwoky 26 Apr 2013 16:57:40 523 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dishonoured. A better game than I thought it would be, huge sandboxy levels, a great unique world full of atmosphere, the story was always interesting. I spent ages on each part uncovering all the ways you could do it, eliminating everyone etc.

Doing it the stealth way almmost reminded me of tomb raider, where you have to find your way through the environment, you have to plan your route all the time.

Had a quick go on killing stuff but it seemed pretty easy, you would have to up the difficulty level to play that way.

Very very good game.
  • figaro7 27 Apr 2013 12:29:18 1,363 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bioshock infinite

Not being the biggest bioshock fan i was instantly drawn into infinite's world from the very first trailer. A setting in the sky, traversing with skyhooks, going from building to building in a flying city, it was wonderous to think about and the developers didnt let me down.

The world of columbia is a stunning vista to look at, full of wonderful architecture drawn from the early 1900's and throughout the entire game it never lets up. However a world with nothing in it is pointless but columbia is bursting with life, bringing the city to life.

Its beliveable and thats something a lot of games miss, if you believe in the world youll enjoy exploring it and bioshock like the previous entries, has you scrounging around like a mouse at every corner. In practice all you are doing is pressing a button on everything and anything, but it works and works well.

But the best parts of the game, the story and elizabeth, the story is head scratching at times and the ending almost forces you to replay the game to see the things you miss, or you could spend hours reading up on it. The only story that i could think of that is remotely as confusing is killer 7s.

Elizabeth, not so much an AI, but shes the drive for the story, some what a narrator or co actor who happens to throw you stuff when you need it. She and booker develop brilliantly throughout the game and makes the experience far more pleasant.

I say this because the gameplay itself, yes its experimental with its vigors and shooting, but on several occasions it felt repetitive and dull. The inclusions of handymen, patriots, crow dudes and some freaky things towards the end i wont mention, all help the cause and offer some tactics in the combat, but the majority of the time your vigors and powerful weapons make a lot of enemies cannon fodder. Upgrading either only makes the combat easier.

While the world is fantastic, its confined and the game flows in such a way that you dont get to take a lot of it in. Having said that i enjoyed the flow of the game, it was relentless at times and i enjoyed the rollercoaster i was on.

In the end, bioshock will win you over with what you can hear, see, think and read, but its gameplay doesnt hold up to the hefty heights of its world or story.

8/10
  • Matt36 27 Apr 2013 13:01:12 1,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Streets of Rage on XBL! Fun 30 mins! Can't believe how short it was :( Such a fun game though!
  • spindle9988 27 Apr 2013 13:11:56 3,590 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I paid 40 odd quid for that game on the mega drive
  • Matt36 27 Apr 2013 13:12:58 1,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I imagine my parents would have for me. Has a lot of replay value though, always fun to play with friends, pick up & play. No regrets.
  • convercide 27 Apr 2013 13:13:23 6,033 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Matt36 The first one? The second is the best.

Spec Ops: The Line - 8/10

The story, well the writing, is pretty good. Playing the hardest difficulty accentuates the flaws of the the actual gameplay though. Why are you always the main target in squad based shooters? Why does every enemy think you're the one to kill, even when being shot in the face by one of your squadmates? If you play on Normal though it's much more enjoyable.

The ending almost felt like it should have the Saw theme playing over it.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• Matt36 27 Apr 2013 13:15:53 1,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @convercide Yeah, the 2nd :)
  • convercide 27 Apr 2013 13:21:22 6,033 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Matt36 I'd advise checking out the Streets Of Rage Remake that Bombergames made. SEGA forced them to take the final version off their website but if you Google 'sorrv5' I'm sure you'll find it for download somewhere. It's PC only (obviously) but is absolutely brilliant, especially if you liked the older games.

EDIT: And is had gamepad support too so don't worry about 'keyboard only' play.

Edited by convercide at 13:22:27 27-04-2013

• Matt36 27 Apr 2013 13:22:56 1,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @convercide Oh cool, I'll do that now, thanks! :D
  • kentmonkey 27 Apr 2013 22:02:15 20,695 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Flower

I bought this back in late 2009 and kept it for when I was in the right frame of mind and also, crucially, for a sunny day.

Wednesday was that day. Gorgeous sunshine, good frame of mind...time for Flower.

Erm, I think I've been building it up too much, as did the press I feel. I enjoyed it, but nothing more. The first couple of levels promised something amazing - I really thought the experience was going to be one of the most memorable in my very, very long gaming history. No.

When it started to go dark, it just lost everything for me. It turned into a more serene De Blob, and tried to turn a gaming experience into an actual game. That's when it failed for me. When it stopped being something to enjoy and experience, and rather something with an unnecessary meaning and yet another game to "complete".

6/10
  • IncredibleKoosh 27 Apr 2013 23:53:01 240 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @convercide

Again, would give SPEC OPS : THE LINE 8/10. Would be a 9, but the gameplay itself was, perhaps purposefully, rather generic.

Any game that tries to do something different narrative wise deserves plaudits though.

White Phosphorous :eek: Have looked at some photos of the damage it does. Evil stuff. Never knew about it before. Burns through the skin... doesn't stop on contact...keeps going. Vile.
  • Triggerhappytel 28 Apr 2013 01:14:32 2,695 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

I had ups and downs with this one; I thought it started fairly poorly but got a lot better once you got all the djinn powers, and when I started chasing trophies it actually made the combat more enjoyable as I was using more varied tactics. Visually it's a bit rough and the gameplay feels like it owes a fair debt to Batman AA and God of War. The plot is basically the same as The Sands of Time, but it lacks that game's charm and character.

Anyway, worth the 5 I paid a few weeks ago, but I won't be keeping it in my HDD, put it that way.

7/10
  • convercide 28 Apr 2013 13:48:32 6,033 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @IncredibleKoosh Yeah, a couple of parts were a bit grim to say the least.

White Phosphorus was just sickening. Use of that stuff is unjustifiable. Both the major uses of it (the first time you see it when they use it against you, then the time you use it) made my stomach turn. Lugo's death was also harsh.

• hypoBla5t 28 Apr 2013 19:45:41 1,418 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Actually polished off 2 games this weekend:

Red Dead Redemption

Loved everything except the couple of hours before the last quest. Almost abandoned it to be honest, it was just boring. Excellent ending though. Glad I got round to playing this eventually.

9/10

Final Fantasy VII

Never played this before. Certainly a very good game and has aged fairly well. Wish I could have played it 15 years ago, I'd have lapped it up. My first JRPG in far too long and there will certainly be more to follow.

9/10
  • imamazed 1 May 2013 14:13:07 5,628 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Professor Layton and The Miracle Mask

Charming, obviously. Quality of the puzzles is a bit up and down, but there's plenty to keep you going. Took me almost 16 hours all told. The story is a bit of a disappointment; I know it's aimed at kids really but there seemed to be a real opportunity for a mature storyline that was handwaived really. The whole Azran puzzle room bit really drags as well. Still very enjoyable though, and "that point" in 3D always get me.

7/10
  • Matt36 2 May 2013 12:16:50 1,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Sleeping Dogs (X360)

So much fun! Large & open but not overwhelming. Vibrant city, not just concrete slabs and rain. Easy controls. Great story. Enjoyable fight scenes. Didn't rely on guns! I loved this! Oh, and I beat someone to death with a fish...

Few niggly bits, like, when I pressed Y to hire a cab, sometimes I would hijack it. Or when an enemy flashed red to counter, I would press y again and sometimes it wouldn't work. But I got over it, because the rest of the game was fantastic.

9/10
  • chrisno21 2 May 2013 12:48:01 1,511 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Uncharted 3 for a second time (after completing it once at launch).

There are some excellent set pieces and some classic moments that were still great on a second playthrough, but it is probably the worst Uncharted of the series for me. There's the odd slow point and for a game always about pushing forward and exploring its a shame.

Still highly enjoyable but not as good as the others. 8

Edited by chrisno21 at 12:48:19 02-05-2013

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• wobbly_Bob 2 May 2013 22:41:02 1,783 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finished Thomas was alone a few days ago. It's bloody brilliant. The story and characters were fantastic. I aso love the art and music. I think he difficulty of the puzzles and platforming are perfectly pitched ( no hard) since he focus is one story and characters.

10/10
  • Folant 2 May 2013 22:54:31 1,189 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Finished Kingdoms.of Amalur

Good game, very big, lots of quests. Though I did find myself skipping the dialogue on the side quests after a while, just to get them over with.
    Combat did get a bit boring at times, but it comes aLive when you're faced with a Bunch of tough enemies, and at some boss battles.
    Bit easy(best played on hard mode), and you have little to no use for the crafts, which is disappointing, if they put Moe effort into it, it could have been a pretty solid aspect of the game, weapons, armour and potions, but you find most of what you'll ever use from chests and drops.

Was gonna go for platinum, but one of the trophies is a bit of a pain and I think I missed the opportunity, so I've only got that in my head.

Good game, well last you a while if you want to do everything, shame we won't see more and see it grow.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• Deleted user 3 May 2013 08:55:49
    Hitman Absolution(360)

+Every now and again you play a level or kill a target that reminds you of the best of the Hitman series
    +I actually quite enjoyed the story and the OTT characters
    +Some of the kills are quite inventive and going through levels making everything look an accident is a challenge
    +Putting 2 bodies in a closet is hilarious

-The disguise and instinct system is shit
    -The levels being broken up into small chunks isn't as fun as one big playground in which to kill
    -Feels too much like Splinter Cell: Conviction
    -That shit wrestling QTE part

6/10
  • Page

of 412 First / Last