Recently Completed Games Page 326

• Page

of 394 First / Last

• Matt36 20 Apr 2013 18:51:01 1,168 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    LEGO Batman (360)

Well...that dragged on a bit? It took forever to get the minikits through the 2nd playthrough. Boring, tedious, annoying, no fun involved and didn't really feel like Batman. It's put me off LEGO games for a long time.

4/10
  • LionheartDJH 20 Apr 2013 23:32:16 19,295 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bioshock (PC) - 10/10

Decided to do another run-through after finishing Infinite, third time going through and yeah it shows its age a bit now. The sense of wonder of Rapture is diminished as you would expect, and although the combat is adequate it's a bit fiddly having to switch between plasmids and weapons after experiencing number 2 and Infinite where they're wielded simultaneously.

However it's still a great experience, one of my favourite shooters ever and games of this gen, and Rapture is probably the best game world I've ever experienced; the attention to detail and effort that the world was crafted with is second to none.

Bioshock 2 (PC) - 8/10

I initially gave up on this when I had it a few years ago; didn't feel the original needed a sequel and I never got on with it. Decided to give it another go recently and got into it properly this time.

The combat is definitely better than the first, as is the range of weapons so it wins on that front. You get to explore more of Rapture which is great, and the seabed sections were serene and a break from the almost constant combat. The Big Sister fights were pretty intense and fun.

However the mundane splicer fights got really old by the end of the game. The Little Sister protection/ADAM gathering was good for the first few attempts but it started to feel like busy work/artificial padding after that, and when I realised you can just rescue them without harvesting ADAM I only did a few more.

The story also is just not as interesting as the first, the characters aren't as memorable and although some more background on Rapture is provided it's disappointingly all focused on the main story. I'll admit the having to kill Sinclair part got me a little, but the rest of it I didn't feel that much of a connection with.

Overall still a pretty good game but it lacks the spark or originality of the first (as you'd expect I guess) and it suffers for it.

P.S. if you make the mistake of getting this for PC (like I did) and you're running Windows 7 64 bit, you may have to scale down to DX9 to get it to work properly without frequent crashing. Also get the Steam version if you're not that bothered about the Minerva's Den DLC (which I want to play so got a GFWL copy: joy!).

Edited by LionheartDJH at 23:34:28 20-04-2013

She dives for cheese pasties

• Matt36 21 Apr 2013 15:44:47 1,168 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Soul Calibur V (360)

Done the Arcade. Nothing much else to really do offline. Meh
  • FarFromSane 21 Apr 2013 15:56:56 231 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just Finished Uncharted 3:Drakes Deception on Normal, I'll end up playing again on Hard sooner or later. I relly enjoyed the game. 9/10

Edited by FarFromSane at 16:02:55 21-04-2013

Somewhere out there, a neurotic chicken wants to cross the road but is paralyzed by the knowledge that everyone will question his motives

• DFawkes 21 Apr 2013 17:46:18 22,052 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Assassin's Creed 3

I remember reading that some people didn't like it, though I didn't read their more in-depth comments to avoid spoilers. I'm glad I did :)

Now I have a feeling that whether you enjoy it as much as I did depends on how you feel about the story, both in the series and this one on it's own. In my case, I absolutely love the story arc, but more importantly I like to be drawn into the story of the exploits of Kenway in America. As such, I loved the fact they went with the decision to make the first few hours focused almost entirely on the story.

At the same time, I can also understand people being disappointed with that, and I think it would've been a difficult decision for the devs to make, but it definitely paid off for me. By involving me so heavily in the beginning of the story and those characters, it really enhance the whole story (and game) for me.

Of course once you're past that, you're into the Assassin's Creed I know and love. Plenty to do, lots to explore. Most of the core systems are broadly the same as they've ever been. Ever tree-based free running is just free running. The combat tweaks are nice enough too, still emphasising counters but giving you a few more options to play with. Of course I stick with "stab man in face" unless he's one of the enemies that needs disarmed ;)

It's definitely AC through and through, with the early sections more similar to AC1, then onto something a lot more like AC2. As I say, I can understand people being put off by the way the game begins, but I wouldn't change it for the world - it would have been detrimental to the experience I had.

The maps are pretty good too. I appreciate that they don't have the pleasing verticality of the others in the series but I didn't mind too much. I'll admit I did sort of miss climbing truly massive towers, but at the same time the series did need a bit of a change to keep it fresh. Taking it more to ground level with a lot more ways to hide and kill people paid off for me, but much like the story focus I can totally understand it turning people off.

I also really enjoyed the naval battles, so I'm really happy AC4 will have mroe of that sort of thing. Battling ships on the stormy seas is great fun in this and I was hoping for more in a sequel.

Of course there are a couple of issues. There were sometimes optional objectives that wouldn't tell you what they were until it'd saved the next checkpoint and told you that you'd already failed it in the last section, and new weapons are even more pointless than in AC2 as your starter Hidden Blades are awesome throughout the game. But apart from that I loved it :) In general, now I've went back to read it, I agree with the EG review.

9/10

Also as an aside, this was on Wii U. It's perfectly playable, and having the Gamepad as a larger local map is nice, though I'd say having the main screen free of the HUD is nicer, but apart from off-TV play that's it.

Also, sorry that's so long. No one will read all this. My personal score is in bold anyway so people will probably just skip to that.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• LockeTribal 21 Apr 2013 18:14:19 4,443 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Zone of the Enders 2, on PS2. Great game, over surprisingly quickly. Gonna have to play through again sometime soon. The story was balls though.

9/10
  • Rens11 21 Apr 2013 20:06:00 1,254 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Will have to check out that Aliens mod, Doom 1&2 are still the greatest shooters of all time

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• Raiko101 22 Apr 2013 04:09:58 5,532 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DFawkes I didn't mind the Kenway missions. It was a nice way of introducing all of the main characters. It's just those first 3 sequences weren't the most enjoyable, for me, and the following 4 were incredibly dull. It really picks up from sequence 7, so i'm glad I stuck with it.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Triggerhappytel 22 Apr 2013 07:30:56 2,664 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Batman: Arkham City.

I did enjoy it a lot; the controls are almost perfect, the presentation up there with the very best, the gameplay is smooth and brilliant, and its mixture of combat, traversal and environmental discovery is terrific. However, I didn't enjoy it as much as its predecessor and I felt the open world route with the dozens of villains and constant side missions left it feeling a bit flabby and unfocused. It's like there's so many ideas here jostling for screen time that they're all spread too thin.

Still a great game, just not sure good as Arkham Asylum.

8/10
  • imamazed 22 Apr 2013 09:40:55 5,450 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Saint's Row: The Third

I don't really know why I feel the urge to play these games anymore; I didn't enjoy the first two really. To be fair, the mission variety is excellent in the main storyline; although it's relatively short the missions are so wildly different if just about carries you to the finish line. The Virtual Reality mission and the wrestling bit especially stand out.

However, the rest of the game is just horrible. The cars control like they're glued onto the road, and after the 2 games of activites, they're just plain boring in this one (thank fudge you can skip them). The writing is awful, it's not funny, the characters are generic and there's no charm. People criticise GTA IV for not having anything to "do" and it being too serious, but SRIII really doesn't give you anything to do either. It's certainly "wacky" with its customisation and themes, but it isn't actually any fun; and all the "fun" things are repetitive side quests. I just don't understand the love for this one, maybe I'll learn my lesson and stay away from the new one this year.

5/10. It would have been 4 if the game hadn't have reminded me of the 1996 smash hit "Return of the Mack".

Edited by imamazed at 09:41:53 22-04-2013
  • Matt36 22 Apr 2013 10:26:42 1,168 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I loved Saints Row. The third was fantastic!
  • DFawkes 22 Apr 2013 11:24:50 22,052 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One of my games of the year it was in, easily. I found there was generally tons to do, and it was all fun (apart from a particularly tricky Insurance Fraud) and the commitment to silliness meant the writing was generally pretty good, or at the very least consistent. I laughed quite a few times too :) I find the gunplay really satisfying too, especially as you get the later upgrades.

As with everything though, the amount of enjoyment you'll get out of it is entirely subjective, so if you didn't enjoy it then fair enough. I can totally understand that if you're not into the tone of the game within the first hour, you probably won't find anything in it to change your mind.

Edited by DFawkes at 11:25:01 22-04-2013

• imamazed 22 Apr 2013 11:29:55 5,450 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    One of my games of the year it was in, easily. I found there was generally tons to do, and it was all fun (apart from a particularly tricky Insurance Fraud) and the commitment to silliness meant the writing was generally pretty good, or at the very least consistent. I laughed quite a few times too :) I find the gunplay really satisfying too, especially as you get the later upgrades.

As with everything though, the amount of enjoyment you'll get out of it is entirely subjective, so if you didn't enjoy it then fair enough. I can totally understand that if you're not into the tone of the game within the first hour, you probably won't find anything in it to change your mind.
    Yeh that's fair. I'm not here to say it's wrong to enjoy it or anything. I know lots of people really enjoyed it, which is baffling to me, but good for them I suppose! The upgrades were done well actually yeh, that's fair enough. But the actual stuff you do was so repetitive I didn't really care much. I don't necessarily think it's an awful game, but certain aspects of it definitely felt cheap and glitchy. Mind you, it's always been like that.
  • DFawkes 22 Apr 2013 11:46:25 22,052 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I should say it's the first (and only) one I've played in the series - if you'd played 2 broadly similar games already then I can understand it feeling like a real chore, especially if you didn't enjoy 1 or 2.

• Max_Powers 22 Apr 2013 12:03:26 1,065 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Triggerhappytel wrote:

I did enjoy it a lot; the controls are almost perfect, the presentation up there with the very best, the gameplay is smooth and brilliant, and its mixture of combat, traversal and environmental discovery is terrific. However, I didn't enjoy it as much as its predecessor and I felt the open world route with the dozens of villains and constant side missions left it feeling a bit flabby and unfocused. It's like there's so many ideas here jostling for screen time that they're all spread too thin.

8/10
    Completely agree, although I'd rank it a 7 at most. Flabby and unfocused in the right description for Arkham City. I liked Arkham Asylum infinitely more.
  • Matt36 22 Apr 2013 18:46:47 1,168 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Did either of you find the AC easter egg in AA? :p
  • mikeck 23 Apr 2013 09:45:09 1,837 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Graveland wrote:
    Max_Powers wrote:
    Triggerhappytel wrote:

8/10
    Completely agree, although I'd rank it a 7 at most. Flabby and unfocused in the right description for Arkham City. I liked Arkham Asylum infinitely more.
    I found AC better than AA in every single way, but I believe I'm in the minority with this view.
    It's really weird, as I know AC is fantastic - I enjoyed pretty much everything about it, and getting to glide around as Bats was great. However...I think the linearity of AA was better suited. I found the open-world nature of AC a bit overwhelming in all honesty, and think I prefer the smaller open sections of AA.

Both are great games though.
  • HarryPalmer 23 Apr 2013 10:21:59 2,630 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Walking Dead - All Seasons - 8/10

To be honest I found this pretty frustrating, I loved the first, second and final seasons, but there was a lot of filler in my opinion. Sometimes the decision making worked, and felt natural, other times it felt forced and unnecessary, given that it's impossible to save certain characters in the long run etc. I'd have perhaps preferred a tighter story with more actual gameplay. I found it intensely annoying on the number of occasions where I knew what I needed to do, but the game wouldn't let me. Why the couldn't get a actual child to voice Clementine was beyond me.

That said, I really appreciated the effort put into to the art design, the story, the way the game wanted to emotionally engage with you and make you feel for the characters, and it was a gripping story, and the end was fantastic and actually quite brave for a game.
  • Humperfunk 23 Apr 2013 10:46:26 1,606 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (PS3 and Vita)

Being able to play a game on both the big screen at home but then take it with me on the commute is all kinds of awesome, seriously hope this is the future.

A good return for Sly - basically the exact same game as Sly 2 and 3 but along the lines of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" so no need to shake it up really. Especially when it was clearly a love letter to the series.

Managed to get a fair amount of the collectibles but could see it becoming frustrating so given up and ended the game on a high. Beautiful to look at on PS3, Vita version is obviously scaled down but still perfectly fine.

8/10

Sleeping Dogs and DLC (PS3)

Thank you PS Plus, once again delivering at top notch game to my collection that I probably wouldn't have played otherwise.

Not the most visually appealing game but again, not exactly bad either. Excellent story, characters and voice acting that kept me interested all the time.

Combat system straight out of Arkham Asylum, the gunplay was fine too but it was definitely the hand to hand moments that shined. Anyone looking for a good open world crime game before GTAV or Saints Row 4 should definitely look here.

9/10

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• Commander Keen 23 Apr 2013 10:51:26 718 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just finished Bioshock Infinite. Brilliant game! Definitely 9.5 or 10/10.
  • L_Franko Moderator 23 Apr 2013 11:06:01 9,686 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dust: An Elysian Tail - 7/10

I mostly enjoyed this game, it looked great and played well. The combat was good up until a point then in the later stages the magic just starts becoming over powered and wins nearly every fight without need to put much effort in at all. I also wish there were a few more moves to pull off when not nuking the screen with magic. The early game is better than the later game.

Still I'm glad I played it, worth the 600 points I paid.
  • Kovacs77 23 Apr 2013 20:02:00 363 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tomb Raider - 10/10. Absolutely brilliant, totally lived up to the hype. Played it on PC, the visuals are stunning. I was playing Bioshock Infinite (8.5/10) at the same time, I got to the point where as much as I was enjoying it, I wanted Bioshock to end, whereas with Tomb Raider I could have kept playing for another 10+ hours easily.

Also, I just got my first PS3 after years of owning a 360 to work through the exclusives before this gen ends. Tomb Raider totally ruined the Uncharted games for me, playing TR and Among Thieves at the same time is difficult, AT is like going back a generation...
  • FluffyVonPuba 23 Apr 2013 22:24:49 24 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    They are different games. Uncharted is more of a straightforward adventure game whereas Tomb Raider has a sense of fragility in the main character that makes it more involving.
    I think it just shows how fast the industry can evolve sometimes.
    Tomb Raider is one of the best of the year so far. Definitely. Absolutely loved it.
  • HarryPalmer 23 Apr 2013 22:42:24 2,630 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kovacs77 wrote:
    Tomb Raider - 10/10. Absolutely brilliant, totally lived up to the hype. Played it on PC, the visuals are stunning. I was playing Bioshock Infinite (8.5/10) at the same time, I got to the point where as much as I was enjoying it, I wanted Bioshock to end, whereas with Tomb Raider I could have kept playing for another 10+ hours easily.

Also, I just got my first PS3 after years of owning a 360 to work through the exclusives before this gen ends. Tomb Raider totally ruined the Uncharted games for me, playing TR and Among Thieves at the same time is difficult, AT is like going back a generation...
    Disagree with how highly your rate tomb raider, but totally agree about among thieves. I fancied playing it again, but when I did it felt so clunky and unresponsive, and it looked a bit ropey, something I never thought I'd say.

Still better than tomb raider though.

Edited by HarryPalmer at 22:42:50 23-04-2013
  • king26 23 Apr 2013 22:52:26 546 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Tomb Raider better than Uncharted? Not in this lifetime.
  • King_Edward 23 Apr 2013 22:55:22 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There's no accounting for taste.
  • chasejamie 23 Apr 2013 23:52:46 805 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:
    Don't get the internet love for Tomb Raider. Its everything that is wrong with modern gaming. Dark, grey/brown colour palette, gritty, guns, quick time events, XP, tacked on multiplayer and below average single player with a shit and contradicting storyline e.g. at the start Lara is horrified she has killed someone yet afterwards she goes all rambo.

Its just average market researched by people who have no clue about gaming fodder.

Just another game that is loved by the internet e.g. Okami and ICO yet they are actually shit pile of shame.
    I got Tomb Raider from Love Film the other day and couldn't carry on playing after the first hour because of what you've mentioned. I thought it stunk. Obviously I should of kept at it and I shouldn't be judging on such short playtime, but I couldn't muster up the energy to carry on. Uncharted on the other hand is streets ahead.
  • Page

of 394 First / Last