of 410 First / Last

• dancingrob 11 Apr 2013 10:54:08 1,162 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Torchlight (360)

+ loot gathering is always fun
    + there's just enough 'story' to keep you entertained
    + enemies are sufficiently varied
    + existence of a companion 'pet' is fun (it turns into elementals etc) and also means repetitive returning to town to sell old loot is minimised
    + length/pacing is pretty good
    + boss / mini-boss fights fit the game well and don't feel forced

= it feels very old-school
    = it's incredibly easy. I'm crap at games, and played on 'medium', and only died 2-3 times, but there's no way to change difficulty mid game

- Could have done with a comedy over the top baddie / bit more character
    - reuse of background scenery gets a bit tedious at times
    - some slowdown when there's loads going on
    - inventory management is as ever a tiresome hangover from the old days
    - achievement list is pretty bland with 2 grindy / trial and error-y achievements to top it off.

decent enough - 3*
  • YenooR 11 Apr 2013 11:25:48 531 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tomb Raider.
    What a great game,my only gripe would be too much action not enough puzzles.
    Look forwar to the sequel.
    9/10
  • YenooR 11 Apr 2013 11:25:49 531 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • HarryPalmer 11 Apr 2013 20:38:14 3,252 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bioshock infinite 9/10

Most of the way through I was thinking how much I preferred Rapture. I felt that Colombia lacked a sense of place and felt like a series of platforms linked together. I also disliked the combat and the constant dying, I never felt compeled to upgrade or experiment much with the powers.

However, the final hour or so blew all that way. It reframes the whole Bioshock universe, and draws it all together. It's immaculately constructed and one of the best stories I've experienced in a game. I will certainly replay this in the future.

I just wish the actual game could match the idea.

Edited by HarryPalmer at 20:38:54 11-04-2013
  • Deleted user 11 April 2013 23:57:16
    Folk criticise the combat a lot and I genuinely don't get it. I thought it was great. Chaining vigors with melee and gears and weapons. Add skylines in and Elizabeth chucking stuff at you and it was quite exhilarating.

I mean yeah, some fps's do it better, but I suppose I haven't played many that have.

Yeah the whole final third of the game: outstanding.

I do know what you mean about upgrading though. Think the fact you could only carry two weapons and there were vox variations on them all nearly meant you couldn't identify with them enough.

Well, apart from the hand cannon. Bloody loved that. And the, what was it called, hail fire I think? Devastating.

Edited by BillCityfingers at 00:00:08 12-04-2013
  • Triggerhappytel 12 Apr 2013 02:06:51 2,695 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Driver: San Francisco

The good
    -Technically very impressive, almost constant 60 frames per second, busy roads with lots going on
    -The car handling is really fun. Bouncy and 'realistic' enough that you can throw them around but still feel in control
    -San Francisco feels like an interesting and appropriate city with lots of fast, wide roads
    -The shift mechanic was good fun and made for some enjoyably chaotic scenarios
    -Lots of extremely cool cars, with nice damage models

The bad
    -I really didn't like the story, at all. The whole thing was just so stupid and it really didn't draw me in
    -The AI is fucking dumb when it's meant to be on your side, and clairvoyant when it's your opponent
    -I found most of the dialogue so silly and goofy. I ended up skipping most cutscenes
    -Not being able to get out of the car inevitably means it ends up feeling repetitive
    -I felt the game's final third or quarter was its weakest. When the silly story elements started to infiltrate the gameplay, my interest began to diminish

Mixed feelings over his one really; I wasn't fond of the premise at all, but the core gameplay was really good. I only played the story missions and maybe a couple of dozen side missions too. To be honest now I'm done with the surprisingly brief campaign I might just delete it from my HDD as I don't see myself going back to it. Still, well worth the £5 odd I paid a few weeks ago. 7/10
  • djronz. 12 Apr 2013 04:56:23 266 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    Bioshock infinite 9/10

Most of the way through I was thinking how much I preferred Rapture. I felt that Colombia lacked a sense of place and felt like a series of platforms linked together. I also disliked the combat and the constant dying, I never felt compeled to upgrade or experiment much with the powers.

However, the final hour or so blew all that way. It reframes the whole Bioshock universe, and draws it all together. It's immaculately constructed and one of the best stories I've experienced in a game. I will certainly replay this in the future.

I lost my way in the story about half way through,  or to put it more accurately I lost interest.  Elizabeth was not the great AI companion the eg review suggested and other than the georgeos environment and a few clever bits in  the end scenes I found the game to be a rather tiresome fps with a horribly dull search everything mechanic and very average gun fights.

It gets a 7 / 10 from me just for the stunning environment. Sorry.
  • HarryPalmer 12 Apr 2013 09:09:47 3,252 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, before the last couple of hours I was ready to give it 7/10, to me the combat was too hectic, the constant dying was frustrating, and looting was infuriating, finding money in bins was just stupid. And more than that I didn't really connect with the story, it felt a bit muddled.

There were some great sections, mainly interiors, I felt the exterior levels were a bit dull, I never felt like any of the areas had time to soak in, and the way Elizabeth could spawn equipment and cover etc just felt a bit fiddly and messy.

But the ambition is immense, and the final sections really are amazing, and for me really made the whole thing worthwhile. It has some of the most beautiful vistas I've seen in a game, especially at the end.

Edited by HarryPalmer at 09:11:18 12-04-2013
  • Humperfunk 12 Apr 2013 09:17:52 2,115 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Bioshock Infinite (PS3)

Quite simply one of the best games I've ever played. Got on really well with the combat too unlike quite a few, which probably helped. The first hour and the ending will go down as two of my most memorable moments in any game.

10/10

Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Vita)

Free on PS Plus which was nice. Wasn't a fan at all of the first one but absolutely loved the second and third (which I played almost back to back in December last year) so ploughed straight into this.

Bit too similar to the first one for my liking but fortunately improved gameplay, but also with added Vita gimmicks that soured the experience somewhat.

Overall though glad I played it and with Drake and Sully, two excellent characters with a believable friendship.

7/10

Edited by Humperfunk at 09:18:11 12-04-2013

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• imamazed 12 Apr 2013 09:23:44 5,534 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @HarryPalmer "Constant Dying"?

What difficulty were you playing on? Agree apart from that, although I think the excellent last third isn't quite enough to handwave the rest of the gameplay
  • HarryPalmer 12 Apr 2013 09:37:24 3,252 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @imamazed - Normal!

In my defence, as soon as I realised that dying had next to no consequences, I sort of gave up trying to avoid death. 'Constant' might by an exaggeration, but I did die an awful lot.

With the first 2 games I turned the vita chambers off and just used manual saves, but didn't have that option here.
  • imamazed 12 Apr 2013 09:48:51 5,534 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @HarryPalmer Fair enough. I did it on normal and died maybe 2 or 3 times, and I don't consider myself very good at all. Ah, you see, with the first two I did die a fair amount more, but I had vita chambers on.
  • CaptainFantasm 13 Apr 2013 20:42:44 89 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Spec Ops: The Line (PC)

Interesting take on the war shooter in terms of story. Fairly bog standard in terms of everything else though. The lack of choice in some of the more morally questionable moments took away some of the impact for me. As well as the slightly frustrating sections with lots of enemies and the (probably just my PC) long load times after dying.

Still, only six hours playtime. Which, for someone with not a lot of time to pile into tons of games, is alright by me. More games of this quality and length at the right price point are very welcome.

7/10
  • Progguitarist 14 Apr 2013 01:32:56 10,420 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Little Inferno - Wii U

Interesting "game". There isn't a lot to it really but it's somehow a compelling experience.

I bought it for a fiver. Anything more than that would be pushing it value-wise.

7/10
  • chrisno21 14 Apr 2013 08:56:08 1,493 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bioshock Infinite 9/10

Difficult to fault this, i really enjoyed mixing my weapons and vigors up in the combat, and adding skyhooks, tears and possess-able enemies made each encounter enjoyable. I even enjoyed taking the overpowered handy-man enemies down.

The plot while enjoyable and nicely constructed is wildly pretentious, though going back through sections I've noticed some great hints, clues and clever dialogue that meant nothing initially - so it has some merit. It's terrific - but not a 10 - just feel it's not as good as it thinks it is.

I enjoyed this more than my first visit to Rapture.

Edited by chrisno21 at 08:57:31 14-04-2013

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• figaro7 14 Apr 2013 11:21:32 1,362 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tomb Raider

This is really a solid game that is potentially one of the best looking games on the 360, but at times it has a lot of style over substance. It offers some wonderful landscapes, well they should be but they come off as dull at times. Unfortunately the games momentum doesnt let you take in the sights as you should and when you do finally do some exploring, its not as open either, save for some sections of the game.

While i appreciate the change of direction the series is taking, i didnt like the development of lara throughout the game, unsure whether to kill at the beginning but goes commando by the end? Its not believable and it makes me care less for the character overall.

The upgrade and development system mislead you into thinking that its a sort of metroid style game, but its far less rewarding and not as clever, its not terrible, just adequate.

The shooting, save for the bow which i thought was the star of the show, the rest of the weapons were pedestrian and typical for the genre. Its satisfying pulling of a long range head shot with the bow, its not laying countless bullets point blank into an unarmoured enemy.

Perhaps my biggest gripe is the lack of puzzles and then tombs. The side tombs were a disappointment with each one literally one room and that was it.

Tomb raider is a jack of all trades and a master of none, gives you a false sense of wonder at the beginning that this island your stranded on is yours to explore, but its not. Still though, as i said at the start, its a solid adventure, just unremarkable.

7/10
  • FogHeart 14 Apr 2013 12:49:16 944 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Miasmata

To refresh everyone's memory, this is a PC game released through Greenlight. Developed by two brothers doing the whole thing - music, art, programming design, the works. The game itself is an open world island exploration adventure - think of Far Cry 3 (the Johnson brothers are probably tired of hearing that but it's what people know) albeit with a smaller area and cut down engine. You map out the island using the kind of orienteering stuff I imagine the scouts learn - compass, sight lines, triangulation. You arrive on the island racked with illness and need to gather various fauna, investigate their properties in the camps liberally scattered over the island and synthesise tonics and serums in the far rarer labs. There's also a large predatory animal - something like a panther with horns - stalking you. You can't overcome it, only hide from it.

+ As a technical achievement, it's phenomenal - it's the clearest example of how you don't need a big team to produce stunning results.
    + Some solid game design - the orienteering and botany mechanics are things I've never seen before and are fun to do.
    + It doesn't make you superhuman - you are ill and you feel it. If you walk downhill, you will speed up as if stumbling forward and take longer to slow down. If you try to swim for too long you'll falter, choke and drop the plants you've gathered, and weaken with fever. It's refreshing to play as someone less capable than you are.
    + Notes found in the labs and camps tell an intriguing story.
    + Music is sparse but really very good. Think of that melancholic air when you reach save rooms in earlier Resi Evil games, but a full tune.

- As the game progresses you chart more of the island, find formulae to improve your condition...you get better but the game doesn't 'step up' with you.
    - The predator is dangerous once or twice but you just learn to run to the water (kitty don't swim).
    - The back story feels incomplete - there seems to be a link between the plague and the predator but you never find out.
    - Some of the architecture feels underused - ruins with no special plants to collect or other events there, you just pass through them.
    - No climax or special events - a consequence of being truly open world with no scripting I suppose. Once you cure yourself you head for the way out expecting a showdown with the predator that never comes.

There won't be a Miasmata 2, but they'll be doing more games based on this sort of survival system. I really look forward to them, this is a great first go. With a few intelligent additions, it would be a big winner.

7/10
  • sirtacos 14 Apr 2013 16:15:36 7,273 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bioshock Infinite

I trudged through most of the game, feeling disconnected from everything and everyone in it, including the protagonist, Mr. Dewitt. (Some would say that's the point, and I won't argue with them.) This wasn't helped by the gameplay, which if anything, got in the way of my enjoyment. The gunplay, even with plasmids and skyhooks, is functional but limited. It's repetitive and clunky. I had to force myself to continue.

I'm glad I did. The final act made all my previous misgivings moot. As the ambitious narrative came together, it blew away my expectations.

Columbia is much less haunting than Rapture. It doesn't stir the imagination as much, nor does it drip with atmosphere to nearly the same degree. But where Rapture was the soul of Bioshock, Columbia is just a springboard for Bioshock Infinite's ideas.
    It's a shame that those ideas take the form of sudden revelations, most of which take place near the end. (Found recordings notwithstanding.) This means that a sizeable chunk of the game feels like preamble. Like going through the motions in order to get to the good stuff. (This rhythm does suit the plot quite well though, at least thematically. But you can only appreciate this in retrospect.)

As an aside, the Lucete twins were excellent (Jennifer Hale was perfect). I looked forward to every encounter with them.

Conclusion:
    Where some sequels stumble on what their predecessors had built, Bioshock Infinite is clever, and uses established material creatively.

7/10

(All 7 points awarded solely for the non-shooty bits.)

Edited by sirtacos at 16:34:37 14-04-2013
  • TechnoHippy 14 Apr 2013 18:57:11 14,707 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Doom II

I had great fun playing through this again after so many years. I hadn't played the expansion before either. It's so quick compared to most modern FPS games :-)

10/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Vortex808 15 Apr 2013 13:58:54 7,068 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gears of war:Judgement

The core gameplay was as fun as ever, if you enjoy it, which I do. Sadly, the way the main campaign is arranged it broke the immersion quite badly with the constant awarding of stars for the declassified missions at the end of sections. This was a bit too arcade-y for my liking. Maybe with longer sections I could have coped better, but it seemed to break the flow of the game IMO.

The declassified missions themselves were mostly rather fun, giving you specific challenges to complete, or ramping up the difficulty. I was less keen on a few missions requiring a time limit. Some were quite tough on hardcore depending on which enemies spawned, but still do-able.

Aftermath was much more my thing, where it reverted to a more regular chapter format with no score attack type shenanigans anywhere near it.

Now to spend some more time with the multiplayer side of things.

7/10
  • DuvaDan88 15 Apr 2013 14:02:21 539 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Saints Row 3

I wasn't expecting much as I couldn't get on with the second one but this is truly bonkers and just fun to play. I think the game was about the right length it took me 12 hours to fully take over steelport and complete the missions and activities. The game does have it flaws there was a few times when I had to restart a mission because the AI got stuck or just stopped for no reason also when driving around the car would all the sudden freeze and come to a complete stand still.

I wasn't going to buy the 4th one but after completing this I will go out and pick it when its out.

7/10

Now on to Bioshock Infinite

Xbox, Steam - DuvaDan
    3DS 4639-9278-1687
    Feel free to add me

• _Price_ 16 Apr 2013 21:19:54 3,073 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LA Noire

Just finished this after picking-up the Complete Edition a few weeks ago.

Overall really impressed, even if it jumps into Uncanny Valley (and continues through the ground Wile E Coyote style....) as different members from the cast of Mad Man make appearances.

The 40s LA setting felt well crafted and was always fun to drive around. The cases for the most-part made sense and in some instances actually rewarded genuine 'hmm, what if I do this / go here / ask that' intuition. The shooting mechanics were serviceable but nothing special and, rightly, mostly relied on getting to cover and popping away when the opportunity presented itself. Fist-fighting was far more satisfying and seeing the hats go flying for the first time really put a smile on my face.

The meat of investigations (searching for clues and interviews) sometimes got a little stale but was pretty great overall, a quality that persisted even when I managed to utterly strike-out on all of the questions. They're systems that needs a bit of work to perfect but I'd like to see them again in other titles / a sequel.

The final case was a bit of a disappointment after all the great ones that preceded it. Not necessarily the ending itself (which admittedly still felt a little stupid) but I would've liked to have actually had a huge, overarching investigation implicating the different major players rather than a slightly messy shoot-out. It would've certainly felt like a more natural way to bring-together the player characters, the partners, the lab guys, the criminals and everyone else involved, even if it would've still ended in true bittersweet Noire style.

So, a game I'd highly recommend but has a few rough edges that I guess are bound to occur when trying something new. Scores well on both style and substance and leaves you wanting more.

8/10

Edited by _Price_ at 21:20:18 16-04-2013
  • munki83 17 Apr 2013 21:10:53 1,411 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ZombiU 7/10

My first Wii U game and at times ZombiU impressed me and others it bored the shit out of me. I could see what they were trying to do and it almost makes a good job of it but the game punishes you too much. Dark souls is a game that punishes you till you learn ZombiU punishes you and for fun pisses on you from a great hight and takes your toys away. You end up relying on the cricket bat too much and its a shit weapon. With some tweaks this can be one hell of a game.
  • Armoured_Bear 17 Apr 2013 21:24:45 10,573 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    munki83 wrote:
    ZombiU 7/10

My first Wii U game and at times ZombiU impressed me and others it bored the shit out of me. I could see what they were trying to do and it almost makes a good job of it but the game punishes you too much. Dark souls is a game that punishes you till you learn ZombiU punishes you and for fun pisses on you from a great hight and takes your toys away. You end up relying on the cricket bat too much and its a shit weapon. With some tweaks this can be one hell of a game.
    Sounds pretty fair, I gave up on it before the end but admired a lot of it.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• DrStrangelove 17 Apr 2013 21:33:27 3,709 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Doom II

I had great fun playing through this again after so many years. I hadn't played the expansion before either. It's so quick compared to most modern FPS games :-)

10/10
    Absolutely. I miss running around at 50mph while evading thousands of fireballs and pumping rockets at their sources.

Not quite realistic, but quite a lot of fun. And it had maps that deserved being called maps.
  • sirtacos 17 Apr 2013 23:05:15 7,273 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    Bioshock infinite 9/10

Had I spotted this review before writing mine, I would have just +1'd.

"Reframes the whole Bioshock universe" is a lovely way to put it, and indeed that's what impressed me most about it - the way these separate universes were connected and tied together. Clever and ambitious, I thought it was.

I hated the skyhooks, though. They're fun to use occasionally (blasting enemies from the air etc.) but as a means to get around I thought they were a pain in the arse. The fucking things nearly gave me motion sickness.
  • gelf 18 Apr 2013 13:42:05 188 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bayonetta (PS3)

I love a good hack and slash and had a good time with this but didn't quite get on with it as much as I thought I would. The biggest issue being I never got the hang of the timing to get into witch time, more my fault rather the the developers though.

+ great over the top moves and bosses
    + All the Sega references
    + when I did get the timing right it felt amazing

- when I didn't I felt like a dirty button masher
    - last few chapters felt like unnecessary padding
    - PS3 version so obvious slowdown in parts though nothing as game breaking as I'd heard.

Had fun but I'd still put it well behind Ninja Gaiden Black, my fave in this genre.

8/10

Edited by gelf at 13:44:06 18-04-2013
  • Deleted user 18 April 2013 14:10:55
    Sniper Elite V2(360)

+Sniping people is awesome made even better by the slo-mo cam.
    +Multiple ways and methods to complete levels
    +Nazi's as enemies

-Story is pish
    -The levels look bland
    -Too easy even on elite

6/10

With a bit more polish and a higher budget it could be a great game.
  • DuvaDan88 18 Apr 2013 19:08:23 539 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bioshock Infinite PC

Glad I got round to completing it, I didn't think I rushed it and it took just shy of 11 hours complete, found loads of the extras only a few left to find on my next play through. I wont say anything about the story apart from it gripped me for start to finish. Elizabeth's AI was great more games that have someone following you need to take this approach, she never annoyed me just helped when I needed it.

There were elements that brought it down for me like pressing X to search everything stopped reading what I was getting in the end I found it didn't make much difference also I would of liked the sky rails to be more involved in the game apart from certain areas and last thing that made it a bit of a shame was there was no real punishment for dying it just gave you more ammo/health/vigor and then you can carry on tackling the same enemy.

9/10

Xbox, Steam - DuvaDan
    3DS 4639-9278-1687
    Feel free to add me

• Stuz359 19 Apr 2013 00:53:55 16 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    More backlog clearing:

Bioshock - Shocking I didn't finish this the first time around, but life stuff got in the way and I never quite got around to finishing it. However, after recently playing through Infinite I decided to replay the original. Abolutely loved it. Totally different feeling to Infinite. Dark, oppressive and a whole lot scarier. Combat may not be amazing, but the sense of place and a world created is astonishing. Not sure the story is as mind blowing as I had heard, but the voice acting and layers of detail just about makes this an absolute winner for me. I even enjoyed the final third.

9/10 (May have been a 10 if I finished it way back when)

Bioshock 2 - Got it free on PS+ so it would be rude not to play this after playing the other two. Really enjoyed it. Combat is more refined than the first and it's still scary. The story is a much more personal tale but not as good as the first, the linearity is much more prominent as well giving it a much more traditional fps feel. Any chance to get back to Rapture is a joy, but I feel it falls just short of the firsts greatness.

8/10

Lord of the Rings: War in the North - Got it free on PS+ and I have to confess, I didn't finish this game. I write this as a warning. This is one of the worst games I have played this generation. Combat is horrible, voice acting is diabolical and story is atrocious. Even if it's sitting on your HDD as a result of PS+, delete it, it's horrible.

1/10
  • Page

of 410 First / Last