Recently Completed Games Page 320

• Page

of 425 First / Last

• Mr_Sleep 26 Mar 2013 14:09:13 17,368 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So, that's Uncharted: Drakes Fortune done. I find this game hard to rate, the exploration and puzzles are largely pretty good and the story keeps things interesting enough.

What really really mares this game is the constant insistence on having a gun fight at every opportunity, there are several sections where it is pointless (jet ski) or just down right incongruous. For instance, Drake finds a hidden entrance to an underground area where there's a complicated puzzle to follow and after navigating that there is a sudden bunch of opponents to kill. It's so stupid, it's fair enough if they've followed you in but for them to head you off just seems weak.

It's also true of much of the rest of the game where they could have had a nice pace but instead decided that what one really wants is more waves of enemies to kill. I seem to recall there being some controversy about this at the time but I can't recall if the controversy was because it was stupid and irritating or whether it was pseudo-racist. Also, the gunplay doesn't help anything, every enemy being a bullet sponge except if you head shot them is tedious, especially as the head shots are not always easy to execute. Further to that, every enemy being an expert marksman was always annoying.

Also, both church sections can absolutely do one. Instadeath from spawned enemies is just never fun. This is a perfect example of difficulty in a game being frustrating rather than a challenge to be overcome. Oh and the final battle is absolutely one of the worst designed things I have ever had the misfortune to play.

Still, despite all that criticism, the bits that weren't really unfair and frustrating were generally good and fun. They really did learn some important lessons before the second game and it really benefits in comparison. Now on to the third one, hopefully it is more of an evolution of the second.

Slightly spoilery: One final note, I'm so absolutely sick of monster enemies, they're just so tedious, they're actually ok in this game but the first Far Cry showed them to be a questionable idea then Crysis had the aliens that were generally pretty crap and it's the same here, why game designers think it's a good idea I do not know.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 14:14:18 26-03-2013

You are a factory of sadness.

• DFawkes 26 Mar 2013 14:10:13 24,047 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I loved AC1. Loved it all the way through. I loved almost everything about it, except there wasn't always that much to do when it comes to missions, so I'd just faff about.

Edited by DFawkes at 14:10:30 26-03-2013

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Deleted user 26 March 2013 14:18:56
    What I hated in AC was trying to get anywhere on horseback in the kingdom without having to slow down to a painstaking walk everytime you get near super sensitive guards. Thankfully that aspect got improved greatly by 2.

I loved AC: 1 though.. In fact, I'm up to starting Revelations now and have had a great time with them all.
  • Deleted user 26 March 2013 14:53:17
    Infamous 2.

A very solid game. My biggest gripe with it, it is literally 20 odd hours extra of Infamous 1. But the subtle changes work very well. Importantly its a lot of fun, cole feels nimble, the powers are mostly unlocked from the start, and its just a pleasure to jump and beat around.

The story is pretty solid, and ramps up well towards the end towards a satisfactory conclusion. Even though i think the choices of good vs evil aligned towards button presses is a bit frustrating.

The gameplay overall is just more of the same, and in that regard it felt a bit tired towards the end. The last mission was a bit meh, suddenly introduced timed bits and you can't deviate on how you get to places. Which led to a few restarts. Side missions are a bog standard affair.

Sound is great, loved the OST, and the graphics are serviceable, and cole look awesome. Some good animation in the face.

If you liked the first, a lot to find and enjoy in this game. Just felt a bit tired towards the end. Not sure if its to with gaming fatigue as well though. But just being a superhero in this game is alot of fun, good powers, as well as not feeling owerpowering.

7.5/10
  • jabberwoky 27 Mar 2013 11:44:46 527 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well, I finally finished kingdoms of amalur reckoning. I use the term loosely as there are still well in excess of 40 quests outstanding, but you have to draw a line somewhere.

Its a great fantasy game, modelled heavily on oblivion. A lot of fun, interesting world, liked the main quest and the characters were well acted.

Not brilliant some flaws but a very solid 8/10 WRPG.
  • HarryPalmer 27 Mar 2013 12:15:23 3,584 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tomb Raider - 7/10

This has all been said before on here:

The opening couple of hours are great, Lara feels vulnerable, the first few enemy encounters are tense, there is a genuine feeling of strategy and suspense to them, and taking out enemies with the bow is satisfying and fun. The game is super slick, it controls perfectly, the cover mechanic is superb, the weather is convincing, it's polished to within an inch of its life, one of the best looking games on PS3.

Unfortunately it soon becomes a derivative cake walk. The game hurls massive waves of enemies at you, removing all need for stealth and precision, in favour of laying down heavy machine gun fire.

There is little emphasis on genuine exploration beyond, go here and pick up that object. Lara feels overpowered, and is far from isolated, she has all her friends with her, let alone the scores of hostiles. The platforming is on auto pilot, consisting of little more than pointing the stick in the right direction, what ever happened to tense, skilful platforming a la Sands of Time? The game is also constantly tearing down the suspension of disbelief, mission way points, XP, upgrades, collectables, pop-ups, reminding you that you are playing a game, immersive it aint.

If you're after an serious po faced take on Uncharted, without the charm or corny wit, then this is the game for you. If you're expecting a return to Tomb Raider's golden age of isolation, puzzles and edge of your seat platforming, then sadly you're out of luck.
  • dancingrob 27 Mar 2013 13:22:12 1,191 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    GTA IV: The Lost and the Damned

Really enjoyed this, probably more than the main game (which admittedly I finished a couple of years ago)

The pacing was excellent, with pretty much no filler in terms of story / missions, whilst the side missions are still in place / fully optional for those who see a correlation between game length and quality.

The big improvement over the Niko game is the checkpointing, getting rid of all the unecessary repetition of driving for 2-3 minutes before starting the mission proper after dying.

In terms of feel, it had a rather more elegiac style than I'd been expecting, and didn't really suffer from the issue of many Rockstar games where the character you see / know through the cutscenes turns into a murderous killer when under player control.

On the negative side, the engine is definitely showing its age now, particularly when you're speeding along on the bikes in terms of the graphics, and some of the controls, notably the cover button aren't perhaps at the level you'd expect, but certainly well worth a play for anyone who hasn't done so yet.

9/10
  • TOOTR 27 Mar 2013 17:40:00 9,647 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oblivion : The Shivering Isles

I really enjoyed this in the main and, indeed, feel a strong sense of satisfaction of finally clearing all of Oblivion off my backlog.

Overall though - after a massive 189 hours over 6 or 7 years here and there it breaks down ultimately to you having leveled up enough that you are burning through enemies and/or waltzing invisibily past them through cave after identikit cave on fetch quests.

I fear that Skyrim, for all of it's glossy coat, will be more of the same.

Now to finish GTA IV DLC (dancingrob you read my mind) and ponder when I should get round to Fallout3!

8.5/10

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• CaptainFantasm 27 Mar 2013 23:58:30 89 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bioshock Infinite (PC)

Managed to book this week off work without realising it coincided with the release date. A very happy accident it turned out.

The opening few hours are a fantastic example of how a game can draw you in on just a great setting and art style. The game really hit it's stride for me in the middle though when the frantic pace slowed and you felt you had a bit more time to explore the world around you without fighting against the pull of the narrative.

Combat is a real plus for me too, the fliud feel to the gun battles is certainly different from the usual peaking over walls tense shoot-outs I've been used to recently. Although by the end, the game does tend to go for quantity over quality.

Loved the story too, but everyone already knows about that stuff.

9/10

P.S. Took me 11 hours according to Steam, which isn't too bad.
  • Doomspoon 28 Mar 2013 00:16:19 2,513 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Saints Row: The Third (PC)

I picked this up in the Humble THQ Bundle last year. I bought the bundle mainly for Metro 2033 which I've hardly touched as yet seeing as I was distracted by this.

Some years ago I decided I really didn't like GTA despite owning all of them through to San Andreas. I'd enjoy them up to a point and then find the controls for flying were horrible so certain missions were too frustrating and I never progressed further. The sandbox stuff was fun as the odd distraction, but I never stuck with them. I liked the idea of them, the style, the humour, the music selection, the pop culture references and so forth but never bothered to finish them. As such I was wary about SR: III.

Whilst I don't think the missions themselves are as well written as the GTA ones I played previously, the game actually plays better. One of my bugbears with GTA games was being in missions where you'd get knackered by traffic veering into you or over zealous police. Although I had to repeat a fair few missions in Saints Row the frustration just wasn't there as per GTA. The game feels a little fairer on the player.

Vehicles handled well in comparison to my memories of the GTA series and it was genuinely fun to play. I've not done 100% and can't be arsed to do so but I've definitely enjoyed playing. For the few quid I paid for it as part of a larger bundle I've more than got my money's worth and it's actually changed my opinion of the genre on the whole.

8/10
  • khaz 28 Mar 2013 04:25:25 2,826 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The other thing I like about Saints Row 3 is that it has some of the strongest writing i've seen in a game, well above the GTA games at least. Bizarrely, it also has some of the best written female leads in gaming and its treatment of women is equal to the men. Everything about the game just works so well. I hope saints row 4 continues this.

And your character's ethnicity determines your accent which I don't think any other game does.
  • treegreen 28 Mar 2013 05:16:14 109 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The cave

One of the worst video games I've ever bought in my life. Pathetic puzzles, awful controls, ugly visuals and OH MY GOD SO MUCH backtracking.

If Ron Gilbert wasn't involved I'm sure it would have copped the critical mauling it deserved.

Oh, and it's not even close to being funny.

1/10

Edited by treegreen at 08:20:13 28-03-2013
  • cubbymoore 28 Mar 2013 08:11:34 36,504 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was wondering why it's been put on PS+ so quickly.
  • Ziz0u 28 Mar 2013 08:18:44 8,648 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Very disappointing.
  • Deleted user 28 March 2013 08:41:04
    Minerva's Den (Bioshock 2 DLC)

Excellent pacing, huge new area to explore, emotionally involving story, beautiful ending.

I'll miss Rapture

10/10
  • HarryPalmer 28 Mar 2013 10:10:04 3,584 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Forgot about Minerva's Den, must pick that up.
  • Deleted user 28 March 2013 10:59:49
    My only regret is reading too much about it before playing, lessening the impact of certain moments. Still great though. And a decent amount of play time too. Think I must have been 6 or 7 hours. Taking my time.
  • imamazed 28 Mar 2013 11:02:29 5,954 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is Minerva's den standalone or do you need the Bioshock 2 game disc?
  • Deleted user 28 March 2013 11:17:42
    @imamazed You need the game disc, which will be dirt cheap anyway and, shame on you, you should have it already :p
  • HarryPalmer 28 Mar 2013 11:19:50 3,584 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I know absolutely nothing about it, just that everyone loves it. Literally just finished 2 as I didn't want to play it after loving the first so much. Only to find out that it's as good, if not better.
  • imamazed 28 Mar 2013 11:22:14 5,954 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @BillCityfingers I do have it, but on PS3. But I have $h!tloads of MS points left over and it's going on sale (again!) soon on xbl!
  • dominalien 28 Mar 2013 11:24:22 7,065 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, somehow B2 never appealed to me (even though I liked B1 very much), but I got it on PS+ a while ago, played for an hour and felt right at home. I put it on the side for a bit, but I'm getting the itch to go back to it soon. That's the problem with PS+ for me, since I never paid for these games, I'm not as compelled to play them.

PSN: DonOsito

• Kay 28 Mar 2013 11:29:06 17,969 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I actually quite fancy trying Bioshock 2 after I'm finished with Infinite, as everyone seems to go on about Minerva's Den. Is MD completely separate from the main story, or do you need to finish the main game first?

Edited by Kay at 11:29:26 28-03-2013
  • RunningMan 28 Mar 2013 11:41:31 2,451 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's separate, but there's a bug so if you play Minerva's den, then your main bioshock 2 save will be corrupted. It's worth the admission for the dlc though. One of the best bits of dlc this gen.
  • Deleted user 28 March 2013 12:19:43
    @imamazed Ah! Well in that case I would scout amazon or something.. You can probably get it for a few quid? It's worth it imo.
  • imamazed 28 Mar 2013 12:21:06 5,954 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Actually my mate's got a copy of it on 360, but the disc is fooked. You can get about half an hour into the game then it freezes. I wonder if that'll be enough to get Minerva's Den on the go?
  • Deleted user 28 March 2013 12:28:26
    @imamazed So long as it knows the disc is there then I should think so? God knows though but worth a try?

Can you install from it?
  • imamazed 28 Mar 2013 12:30:20 5,954 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @BillCityfingers Nah I tried that, doesn't work. Not that I have it atm.
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 28 Mar 2013 12:45:48 2,456 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    On the whole B1, B2 and Infinite thing - I disliked both B1 and B2, but I'm loving Infinite. I just couldn't get on with the setting with the first two.
    But I guess the first hour or so of Infinite does such a great job of painting a great picture you can't help but love it and want to go on.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Ghandi

• Deleted user 28 March 2013 12:50:09
    Tomorrow night I get my grubby little hands on infinite, cannot wait. Although I have a sudden hankering to play bioshock 1 again. So many great moments.
  • Page

of 425 First / Last