Recently Completed Games Page 314

• Page

of 412 First / Last

• gelf 25 Feb 2013 15:27:53 188 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Binary Domain (PC)

Had a great time with this despite not getting on with cover based third person shooters 99% of the time. Love the feedback you get from shooting the robots, the way they fall apart is very satisfying. There's a lot of silliness with the characters and the plot and I'm not sure if that was intentional or not but I liked it. Don't really like games that feel too serious.

Negatives are the game started badly and screamed genericness until a couple of chapters in and though I liked the bosses mainly, some just took too many hits before going down especially the giant robotic Gorilla. Also the repeated quotes from teammates when you get hurt really grated after a while.

I played this on PC and have heard a lot of complaints about the port but I really didn't see any issues in that regard. Dunno if its because its been patched since or its just because I just play PC games like a console and don't give a shit about extra bells and whistles as long as its playable.

8/10

Edited by gelf at 15:28:29 25-02-2013

Edited by gelf at 15:29:14 25-02-2013
  • CharlieStCloud 25 Feb 2013 21:00:00 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dead Space 3 - 5/10

... doesnít know what it wants to be.

Itís too busy with explosions and constant monster attacks to build up any tension, and thus fails as a horror game. On the other hand, its mechanics are too heavy and cliche-ridden, and the combat too repetitive, to work as an action game. And what are we left with then?

A game that doesnít impress in any of the areas where it really counts.

Edited by CharlieStCloud at 08:36:01 26-02-2013
  • sanctusmortis 26 Feb 2013 00:06:31 9,631 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finished recently:

Dead Space 3 - 7/10
    Really really good game, with the classic atmosphere mainly saved for the optional missions. Plus, that space section. Wow. Just wish it was more replayable - putting collectibles in the co-op only missions was a dick move, IMO, as was hiding them at the end of chase sequences (see the Regenerators at the end of the optional mission in chapter 17). Good fun in co-op, but utterly destroys any atmosphere if you're pretty equally armed or one has the uber weapons; quite tense alone in parts, but never quite matches 2.

DmC: Devil May Cry - 9/10
    Everything DMC4 was not, with great characters, motion capture, pacing, plotting... and very replayable. Love the new weapons, some technical niggles (normally camera auto-rotating and killing you) but otherwise spot on.
  • CharlieStCloud 26 Feb 2013 08:34:02 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    sanctusmortis wrote:
    Dead Space 3 - 7/10

Really really good game ...

... quite tense alone in parts, but never quite matches 2.
    Um, did you and I play a totally different game?!

Was never once tense or scary and it is merely just 'okay' as oppose to 'really really good'.

I tried so hard to like ... I think my (previous) score of 6/10 is a little bit too high, looking back at it.
  • Bawsy74 26 Feb 2013 12:42:58 171 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Borderlands 2

To start with, I thought this was the greatest thing since sliced bread. However, the constant back-tracking to areas began to grate - as did the spawning of the same enemies from the same locations every time.

I reckon I got about half way through before I decided to skip the optional missions, and instead focus on the main storyline.

After defeating the final boss, I was loaded with such nice weapons that I had to have a quick play through of a previous area to see the damage they caused. Ouch :)

Good fun overall - went on a bit too long for my liking though. 7/10
  • FatsoJetson 26 Feb 2013 12:46:37 302 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    sanctusmortis wrote:
    Dead Space 3 - 7/10

Really really good game ...

... quite tense alone in parts, but never quite matches 2.
    Um, did you and I play a totally different game?!

Was never once tense or scary and it is merely just 'okay' as oppose to 'really really good'.

I tried so hard to like ... I think my (previous) score of 6/10 is a little bit too high, looking back at it.
    I'm more inclined to agree with Sanctus, than you Charlie, I have to say.

About two-thirds through it now and am really enjoying it.

I wish there was more space-based fun to be had of course, but I have found it tense and jumpy in places, especially those first few moments on the snow planet when necros start running at you through the storm.

The gun-creation system is a great addition and the optional side missions aren't quite as bad as some reviews have made out. But really, overall, I don't see how this is any better or any worse than either of the previous two Dead Space games.

And seeing as how I really liked the other two (except for the final 20 minutes or so of DS 2) I find little to fault this one on.
  • azurelas_2 27 Feb 2013 00:40:30 1,113 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Crysis (PC)

Fighting the Koreans on the hardest difficulty was ace; but then the aliens ruined everything.
  • wobbly_Bob 2 Mar 2013 15:29:36 1,747 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    KillZone 3

This has been sitting on my shelf for awhile but after seeing the next gen killzone I decided it was time to have a crack at it.

Poor old KillZone. I'm actually a fan of the series. I even loved the first on the PlayStation 2. I feel sorry for Gurilla and Killzone. They can do no right, it seems. People moaned about Killzone 2 all looking the same and had no variety ( I liked the fact it had a cohesive vision and no silly tacked on bits ) and so Guerrilla listened and put various locations into the third game along with turret, mech, shp combat, and jet packs and then people moans that it lacked focus and had pointless turret sections and so forth tacked onto it.

I think the trouble was caused by Sony. They pimped it as a Halo killer. It isn't. Not that it isn't great - I personally like it better than Halo BUT it's NOTHING like Halo. I think all the stupid hype Sony threw around soured people toward Killzone.

Anyway, the third game has truly astounding graphics. Really, it's astounding. The sequence toward the end with the gigantic weapons platform stomping around while you battle it is an amazing feat. The combat feels solid and polished. The story is cool and the presence of Malcolm Mcdale and Ray Winston help. The flair for the dramatic and high drama in the cut scenes really help bring you into the story. All in all I really enjoyed this although not as much as the second. I could have down without the gimmicks and I liked the heavy feel of the movement that were present in the impervious games. also, it seemed a bit short to me. Bring on Shadow Fall :-D

9/10
  • hypoBla5t 2 Mar 2013 16:01:48 1,407 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Two quick ones from me:

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Superb. Just finished my Normal playthrough and started a Classic Ironman. Big step up but this game is certainly at its very best when the odds are stacked against you. Sublime in every aspect. A must-buy for fans and non-fans of strategy games alike.

10/10

-------------------------

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Just been on a bit of a mission to finish this after a long hiatus. It's good, but most of its best features have been done better in other games. Combat is good, but there are so many decent MMOs around now that this game is kinda obsolete. Anyways, a good effort.

7/10
  • alexm 2 Mar 2013 16:05:59 276 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Batman: Arkham City

Never played an open-world game with such focus - builds on Arkham City in every possible way, without IMHO losing anything for it. Goes straight into my top 5 for this generation.

10/10
  • Short-Round 2 Mar 2013 16:12:20 1,181 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    KillZone 3

This has been sitting on my shelf for awhile but after seeing the next gen killzone I decided it was time to have a crack at it.

Poor old KillZone. I'm actually a fan of the series. I even loved the first on the PlayStation 2. I feel sorry for Gurilla and Killzone. They can do no right, it seems. People moaned about Killzone 2 all looking the same and had no variety ( I liked the fact it had a cohesive vision and no silly tacked on bits ) and so Guerrilla listened and put various locations into the third game along with turret, mech, shp combat, and jet packs and then people moans that it lacked focus and had pointless turret sections and so forth tacked onto it.

I think the trouble was caused by Sony. They pimped it as a Halo killer. It isn't. Not that it isn't great - I personally like it better than Halo BUT it's NOTHING like Halo. I think all the stupid hype Sony threw around soured people toward Killzone.

Anyway, the third game has truly astounding graphics. Really, it's astounding. The sequence toward the end with the gigantic weapons platform stomping around while you battle it is an amazing feat. The combat feels solid and polished. The story is cool and the presence of Malcolm Mcdale and Ray Winston help. The flair for the dramatic and high drama in the cut scenes really help bring you into the story. All in all I really enjoyed this although not as much as the second. I could have down without the gimmicks and I liked the heavy feel of the movement that were present in the impervious games. also, it seemed a bit short to me. Bring on Shadow Fall :-D

9/10
    Yeah I agree, I'm a new PS3 owner so catching up on exclusives. Thanks to DUFFMAN5 for lending me KZ2 & 3, I went into 2 expecting to dislike it (I remember all the bullshit from six years ago about the graphics). It's actually a fun popcorn shooter, didn't do anything to piss me off (the sixaxis bits were a minor annoyance) and is a good looking game in it's own right. Currently playing through 3, which is also fun and looks good, even if it looks exactly like other unreal engine games like Gears.

One thing I'm finding hard to go back to is clicking in the right stick to zoom.
  • wobbly_Bob 2 Mar 2013 17:03:47 1,747 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah the click thing to zoom is annoying. You can go into controller settings and change that to the more traditional method of holding the left bumper :)

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 17:04:21 02-03-2013
  • king26 2 Mar 2013 17:23:54 546 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Love thr Killzone games for all the reasons stated and liked the political story. The online is stupidly underrated though. Great graphics, weapons variety of maps and classes, incredibly addictive stuff! GG are really underrated developers and Killzone 2 and 3 are amongst the best shooters made.
  • King_Edward 2 Mar 2013 17:26:24 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    Yeah the click thing to zoom is annoying. You can go into controller settings and change that to the more traditional method of holding the left bumper :)
    Click to zoom is the traditional method. :)
  • RyanDS 2 Mar 2013 17:29:04 9,349 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Manic Miner

Haven't played this for a few years, so loaded up a speccy emulator, and with the help of poke 35135:0 did a run through.

Fantastic. And scarilly I find it just as enjoyable as my run through of New Super Mario on my Wii U recently.

Awesome stuff.
    8/10
  • wobbly_Bob 2 Mar 2013 18:31:00 1,747 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    Click to zoom is the traditional method. :)
    Yeah ok lol OK click for the alternative method! :-)
  • Gunzberg 2 Mar 2013 18:43:02 1,732 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    MW3 Single Player

Rip roaring action

8/10

AC3

What happened to fun and umm actually assassinating people ?

7/10

Game of Thrones: Genesis

4/10

So slow and dull I quit after a few hours. Avoid

Hitman Absolution

The scoresystem ruins a lot. Great locations and atmosphere, crap story.

7/10

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• mr_ruberfon 2 Mar 2013 19:10:04 56 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Journey
    Completed this in one go in a rare afternoon with wife & kids out. It's absolutely beautiful. i was a bit annoyed previously by people banging on about it being art, spiritual or an experience... But they were right and I've never played a game like it. It looks great with shimmering sand & lovely lighting, the soundtrack is very good and the online element is very special. I even liked that it was very short as this is another thing that makes it feel unique. I'm sure all PS3 owners have played it, but if not, do it now!
  • mr_ruberfon 2 Mar 2013 19:10:24 56 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Tomo 2 Mar 2013 20:22:23 13,910 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Crysis 2 - 7/10

Finally finished this after a break of a year or so. It was okay. Looks amazing on my PC maxed out, but it's quite repetitive. Definitely inferior to Crysis. It's essentially one beautiful arena littered with aliens after another. You can either shoot them all, or as I did towards the end, simply run cloaked past them.

Don't think I'll bother with 3 tbh, especially as the reviews make it out to be the weakest in the series.
  • figaro7 2 Mar 2013 21:13:12 1,363 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DmC Devil May Cry

+Near perfect combat system
    +Excellent cast of weapons
    +Interesting platform mechanics
    +World deformation and general level design
    +Challenge levels are enjoyable
    +Excellent Boss battles...

-..Not enough of them though
    -Feels very familiar
    -Story and characters are average
    -Too much platforming at times
    -Too linear at times, but at least they tried to toss in some exploration

The new DmC is still a devil may cry game that feels very familiar as soon as you start to play. There's no denying how good the combat system is, a little finnicky at first until you get used to learning to how it all works. But surrounding the combat the rest of the game feels a little average, i enjoyed the deformation of the world but thats where it ended for me.

Overall, solid but familiar.

7/10
  • Rens11 2 Mar 2013 23:17:40 1,403 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Killzone 2

Had it since launch but never played much of the single player. After watching the PS4 conference and shadowfall thought I'd give it a whirl, at first seems so much slower than I remember like playing in treacle. Really enjoyed it in the end though some of the best artificial intelligence in a shooter that I've played, still looks gorgeous could do with some variety in the guns and enemies though. Roll on killzone 3

8/10

Donít kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, heíd eat you and everyone you care about!

• TheMilkman 2 Mar 2013 23:29:37 205 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Rage - 6/10

Excellent shooting, weapons and in general it's very smooth to play and works really well. Decent and varied enemy AI too.

Problem is that the semi open world thing they have going on doesn't work I don't reckon. Side quests just make you go through areas you've already done, and the whole mission structure is repeated from town to town. The story is also a bit bollocks and the ending was underwhelming to say the least.

Having said all that it's worth a go if you can get it cheap cos it just plays so well.
  • Short-Round 3 Mar 2013 01:09:42 1,181 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Killzone 2 - 8/10

Good fun, looks nice and plays well.

Killzone 3 - 7/10

A short game, the mechanics are as good as 2, but didn't really like it as much. It also looks too much like Gears (very brown).
  • Triggerhappytel 3 Mar 2013 02:52:45 2,695 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sleeping Dogs

Really enjoyed this overall, although the ending felt a bit rushed and anticlimactic. The combat was great, although not quite as polished as the Batman games, the driving I thought was good although a bit floaty and light, the gunplay was great and transitioned smoothly from other modes, and the free-running stuff was great if lacking the variety of the AC or Infamous games. Overall a really fun game with what I thought was a good amount of variety to its missions and a really enjoyable gameworld. I'd definitely recommend it to fans of the open world genre.

8/10

Not sure what to play next. I was going to try for the Platinum trophy, but not sure I can be arsed with finding all the collectibles now. I kind of fancy playing Batman AC or Infamous 2, but then feel I probably shouldn't play another open world game so soon. I might go for something less serious and try to finish Sly Cooper 1.
  • CharlieStCloud 3 Mar 2013 09:25:00 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TheMilkman wrote:
    Rage - 6/10

Having said all that it's worth a go if you can get it cheap cos it just plays so well.
    This.

I still think that while the story was fairly non-existence, side quests were essentially fetch quests, an open world that was wasted opportunity (pardon the pun) as well as the ending being truly, horrifically and utterly terrible, Rage has the best shooting in any FPS this generation.

All the guns POP, bang! and comes to life, which the enemies react to so well ... it feels like you are actually shooting a gun, not the pea-shooters that you carry with you in the Call of Duty games. I need to go back to it as I purchase 'The Scorches' add-on before Christmas.

Supposed to be quite good too!

Edited by CharlieStCloud at 09:26:00 03-03-2013
  • Mint_mint 3 Mar 2013 09:33:20 18 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I bought dead rising off the record, cheap in the winter steam sale. fuck. Wish I hadn't. I have to 100% dead rising games for some reason. I stayed up for an entire 2 days to get the final achievement in Dead Rising 1. Sad innit.
  • TheMilkman 3 Mar 2013 09:39:52 205 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @CharlieStCloud Yeh, it has pretty much perfect gameplay mechanics. The smoothness and responsiveness of COD, yet at the same time the weight and feeling of impact from Killzone. It's perfect.

It's such a shame they forgot to build a proper game around it! If it wasn't for the superb shooting I would've given it like a 3 or 4.

Edited by TheMilkman at 09:40:22 03-03-2013
  • TheMilkman 3 Mar 2013 09:43:07 205 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Post deleted
  • richardiox 3 Mar 2013 13:34:25 5,596 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Finished off Rayman Origins on the 360 last night.

Despite the fact it got crazy hard towards the end I really loved it. Art and sound design were both incredible and it looks sublime in motion. Decent in coop too. Best 2D plat former I've played this gen.
    9/10
  • Page

of 412 First / Last