Recently Completed Games Page 312

• Page

of 417 First / Last

• PazJohnMitch 10 Feb 2013 14:18:30 8,313 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Halo 4 (Legendary)

The graphics are brilliant but in almost every other respect I felt it was worse than the previous entries in the series. (Except story which was also pretty solid).

Check points are erratic. Sometimes you can kill 50 odd enemies with no checkpoint and other times it saves after ever kill.

There are far to many guns that can kill you in one hit. And far to many times the guy with the big gun is positioned after a long line of other enemies without a checkpoint.

Master Chief suffers from weapon swap syndrome in cutscenes.

To many battles exist on platforms which you can fall to your death from.

Enemies which warp behind you and then kill you in a single hit.

No really impressive set pieces. The 5th mission is the only one I thought was particularly great. The rest were merely good.

Multiplayer is inferior to Reach.

7/10
  • ibenam 10 Feb 2013 16:26:56 1,473 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mortal Kombat VITA

Enjoyed the Story mode but felt it was a couple of hours too long.
    Completed now but too squeamish to play any of the other modes.

7/10

Tales From Space Mutant Blobs Attack

A fun little game but got fairly repetitve in the later stages.

Worth it because its dirt cheap at the moment.

7/10

Edited by ibenam at 12:58:11 11-02-2013
  • DUFFMAN5 10 Feb 2013 16:34:53 14,963 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Binary Domain
    Skill: normal
    Time: 6-9hours
    Overall good if not excellent. The later chapters are the best. It was like playing a game of irobot. The bots are good, some if the bosses outstaid there welcome a bit.
    I would say well worh the 10 I paid for it.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• CosmicFuzz 10 Feb 2013 16:37:03 24,834 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sleeping Dogs

Pretty good. Very much enjoyed driving around Hong Kong, the combat was good and the slow motion gunplay was fun. The story was better than usual open world affairs, but I was hoping for more "you're a cop don't let anyone find out" situations. He just seems to kill left right and centre. Something like The Departed shows off how tense some undercover situations can be.

8/10

It also got me back into Arkham City to polish off the last of the Riddler trophies etc.

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• drhcnip 10 Feb 2013 16:41:07 2,534 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Binary Domain
    Skill: normal
    Time: 6-9hours
    Overall good if not excellent. The later chapters are the best. It was like playing a game of irobot. The bots are good, some if the bosses outstaid there welcome a bit.
    I would say well worh the 10 I paid for it.
    the french robot is worth the ten quid paid for it....;)
  • theguy 10 Feb 2013 16:48:34 653 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Devil May Cry 4

+ Great combat
    + Excellent boss fights
    + Well balanced enemies
    + Varied and well designed arenas
    + Dante

- Back tracking
    - Stupid, boring cut-scenes
    - Kyrie
    - Nero

After bedding in with Nero the game really unleashes once you get your hands on Dante's sublime combat ability. It's a good way of helping new comers get into the game before letting them loose. Unfortunately it's all too short lived, you only spend 8 or so missions with Dante before getting dumped back into Nero's comparitivel sluggish and clunky body.

Great game all the same.

8/10

Bayonetta

+ Combat
    + Visuals
    + Challenging
    + Funny
    + Well balanced, paced, and varied

- Infrequent but dire QTEs
    - A space Harrier section that goes on way too long

As near to perfect as makes no difference. Combat is so stylish and and responsive, there are a huge variety of moves to chain together, and it's all tied up in a story that makes no sense but is still fun anyway.

10/10

DmC: Devil May Cry

+ More great combat
    + Utterly gorgeous
    + Lots of well hidden extras
    + Varied enviroments
    + Surprisingly wide and open levels to get lost in
    + Good one liners
    + Accessible
    + Sassy Dante

- Drawn out platforming
    - Restrictive enemy design
    - Poor boss fights (Bob Barbas excluded)
    - Dumb story and "tool shed" dialogue
    - Easy
    - Vergil and Cat
    - Dante, when he's talking to Vergil or Cat

As far as reboots go it's at the top end. All lot of respect has been shown to the old the games. There's nods to Dante's hair, a sort of disfigured Trish character, and a Team Little Devils logo pops up at the end. Combat at its best is free flowing, but too many enemies are designed to stifle you, forcing you into using only cetain weapons, or forcing you to wait too long for your opportunity to attack. Dante and the story are mixed as well. When quipping with bosses Dante throws out some good lines, but whenever the game tries to focus on story it slows down to a po faced sluggy holt.

7/10
    Is it possible to turn the music off in DMC4?
  • King_Edward 10 Feb 2013 17:02:58 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You can turn the music all the way down in the options yes.
  • theguy 10 Feb 2013 17:14:46 653 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    You can turn the music all the way down in the options yes.

Thanks, was wondering as it's not possible in the demo
  • MadCaddy13 10 Feb 2013 19:00:55 1,978 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just clocked Last Window on DS

Cracking game. Loved every second of it. Great characters, animation, story, puzzles - everything!

For what it is its one of the best in its field

9/10

Now on to Hotel Dusk!
  • figaro7 10 Feb 2013 23:24:21 1,368 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sonic & All-stars racing transformed

+Sega nostalgia
    +Excellent single player campaigns
    +Games at its best when in the kart
    +Level transformations are a treat
    +Interesting upgrade mechanics

-Level designs are a hit and miss
    -Boat is a miss while flying is adequate
    -Graphics are washed out on the 360
    -Powerups are dull compared to original game

Overall this is a solid kart racer, i was surprised at the amount of sega nostalgia i enjoyed out of it. The racing mechanics are true to the genre, the level transformations are wild, but the related racing mechanics in the boat and plane dont stack up.

Sega fans will get a real kick out of this, everyone else, you could do a lot worse in the kart genre

7/10

Far Cry 3

+Outstanding landscape and graphics
    +Satisfying mechanics of stealth and shooter
    +Some decent side missions
    +Story is good if cliche
    +Upgrade system in hunting and skills is well realised
    +Nailed the realisation of the world
    +Excellent checkpoint system
    +Traversing the world isnt as bad as i thought it would be...

-...having said that the islands feel too big
    -Main campaign outstays its welcome
    -Seems tough at first until you put some effort into your upgrades and crafting

This is one well realised game through and through, the mix of stealth and solid shooting mechanics make it a real winner. Its captivating and wonderous, a must play in the least

9/10
  • mikeck 11 Feb 2013 10:08:46 1,936 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:

DmC: Devil May Cry

+ More great combat
    + Utterly gorgeous
    + Lots of well hidden extras
    + Varied enviroments
    + Surprisingly wide and open levels to get lost in
    + Good one liners
    + Accessible
    + Sassy Dante

- Drawn out platforming
    - Restrictive enemy design
    - Poor boss fights (Bob Barbas excluded)
    - Dumb story and "tool shed" dialogue
    - Easy
    - Vergil and Cat
    - Dante, when he's talking to Vergil or Cat

As far as reboots go it's at the top end. All lot of respect has been shown to the old the games. There's nods to Dante's hair, a sort of disfigured Trish character, and a Team Little Devils logo pops up at the end. Combat at its best is free flowing, but too many enemies are designed to stifle you, forcing you into using only cetain weapons, or forcing you to wait too long for your opportunity to attack. Dante and the story are mixed as well. When quipping with bosses Dante throws out some good lines, but whenever the game tries to focus on story it slows down to a po faced sluggy holt.

7/10
    Having just completed this last night, I think I pretty much agree with your score and the pros/cons listed above.

It was an enjoyable game, and I might go through and play it again at a later date to try and crack the harder difficulties/remixed enemies modes.

I really liked the range of weapons, and switching through them mid-combat to create all kinds of crazy combos was very satisfying. I'm not usually a fan of score based action games (scores in games break the immersion for me), but I actually really liked it in this game.

Having not played a DMC game before I have no prior barometer for the quality of the series, but for me this was an enjoyable game that I will come back to. Shame the story and dialogues ranged from okay to cackapoopy.

:)
  • PearOfAnguish 11 Feb 2013 11:07:35 7,372 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Prototype 2

Super-powered jumping and parkour is a fuckton of fun, really like how you don't need to constantly press jump to leap over things like Sleeping Dogs. Combat and various unlockable abilities make it a great brawler too. Terrible writing though, the protagonist is a massive dickhead.

Well worth the Steam sale price, shame there'll never be a sequel.
  • Deleted user 11 February 2013 11:34:47
    Super Mario WiiU

Not the launch Mario many hoped for and we're still left waiting for Nintendo to flex their muscles in HD but overall a lovely platformer.

Difficulty is overall perfect, not frustrating and not a cakewalk. The levels are well designed if not entirely memorable although the world map is fantastic. Lots of lovely little graphical flourishes and altogether polished to a shine.

Have only played in singleplayer as the game doesn't support the bundled Pro Controller. The game plays well on tv or off screen and the controls are expectedly tight and responsive.

Challenge mode is a fantastic addition, with goals that can range from quick runs, stomping enemies for 1ups and finishing levels without touching the ground.

A very solid 8/10 for me though a course editor would have made it a classic. The touch screen and stylus literally scream creative potential, you just need to see Miiverse for that. The ability to create courses or entire campaigns would have been amazing and would have kept the game fresh long after release. As it is it's a massive missed opportunity.

So, great game albeit not as ambitious as I would have liked.

Edited by AdamAsunder at 11:37:59 11-02-2013

Edited by AdamAsunder at 11:38:39 11-02-2013
  • theguy 11 Feb 2013 13:42:03 653 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    Prototype 2

Super-powered jumping and parkour is a fuckton of fun, really like how you don't need to constantly press jump to leap over things like Sleeping Dogs. Combat and various unlockable abilities make it a great brawler too. Terrible writing though, the protagonist is a massive dickhead.

Well worth the Steam sale price, shame there'll never be a sequel.

Never be a sequel? When was that announced?
  • Gunzberg 11 Feb 2013 13:54:15 1,741 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The studio was closed down by Activision

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• dancingrob 11 Feb 2013 15:16:35 1,186 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Batman: Arkham City

+ excellent combat system from the first game little changed
    + boss fights much improved from first game

As such, it should have been much more enjoyable, but...

- the open world didn't quite work for me, and the game was pretty unfocused as a result, giving a feel of 'I'm saving the world later, I've just got to catch this baddie first'
    - I'm not a comics person, and had the feeling several minor baddies were added in purely for fan service
    - still not particularly a fan of the 'challenge room' idea
    - sniper sections felt slightly unfair in parts, although that was probably my incompetence
    - it felt too much like a sequel to a big name game, rather than a decent game on it's own merits

3*

Forza Horizon (I still have about 4 races to win, but this will do!)

+ slightly cheesy festival setting works really well, even though it shouldn't
    + possibly the best graphics I've seen on the 360
    + good variety of races
    + other racers have more personality than they should
    + arcade-y handling works for me
    + a beginners only online component is a great idea that far too few games use

- too many cars. I appreciate the game is aimed at people who love this sort of stuff, but I just don't get it!
    - a little too much rubber-banding seems noticable on some races
    - wasn't made keen on the Playground online racing elements

4*
  • ronuds 11 Feb 2013 15:18:58 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Are your ratings out of 5?
  • Ultrasoundwave 11 Feb 2013 15:22:32 3,335 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gunzberg wrote:
    The studio was closed down by Activision
    Yup.

Activision have shuttered or moth-balled pretty much every studio they had apart from Treyarch and Infinity Ward/Sledgehammer (IE, the COD factories)

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• theguy 11 Feb 2013 15:36:46 653 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That is a shame. Would've been nice to see a sequel
  • dancingrob 11 Feb 2013 15:48:48 1,186 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @ronuds

yes, I just feel the 5* system works much better than the 7-9 scale used by gaming sites / magazines.
  • Raiko101 11 Feb 2013 16:04:26 6,413 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I prefer rating out of 5 too. Though when it comes to user ratings and averages, the worst games still manage to scrape 3 stars, with very few ratings below that on either XBLA or the eShop.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• dancingrob 11 Feb 2013 18:19:49 1,186 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I suspect there's a large portion of confirmation bias there, in that people generally only buy stuff they know they'll like anyway, and then further only generally bother to rate stuff they have particularly strong opinions about.
  • Rens11 12 Feb 2013 18:05:58 1,418 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Half Life 2 Episode 2

been a while since I've played this so can't remember the ins and outs of the story. Guns are pretty poor aside from the gravity gun and the actual gunplay never feels quite right. Enjoyed the setting more than Episode 1 and the battles with the striders were the highlight. Game ended on a high looking forward to playing Half Life 3 if I'm still alive

8.5/10

Edited by Rens11 at 23:52:50 12-02-2013

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• GeezaTap 13 Feb 2013 10:39:56 288 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Asura's Wrath

It's Final Fantasy for people that don't like turn-based battles!

Yeah, there's a lot of cut-scenes and QTE, but it looks stunning and has a fun story. Also identify with Asura given the gaming-rage I am prone to.

Plus, a million bonus points for The Hovis Music. Maybe it's because Asura was an outsider, boom boom..
  • Deleted user 13 February 2013 14:29:56
    Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge

I never played the original release so I am judging this on its own terms.

Firstly the combat is still as brutally efficient as ever, when everything is going well limbs break off the plethora of enemies with abandon accompanied by some of the most satisfying sound effects I've heard. It's visceral stuff.

All the weapons return from NG2 and get drip fed to you over the course of the campaign. I found that they didn't really offer too much different to the dragon sword so stuck with that for most of the game.

The campaign itself deviates further from the template set by the first one and as such doesn't really feel like an adventure, more a collection of arenas stuck together with some wall running, jumping and the new climbing sections. The story itself is absolute drivel, I don't actually know what happened as I skipped all cutscenes after around the third chapter. This in itself isn't new to the series but cutscenes were never as long as they are here, as soon as I saw Ryu engaging someone in an actual conversation I ignored the story as it got in the way of my image of the stoic, almost silent bad ass created from previous titles.

The combat is what carries the game and although it's brutal, immediately gratifying stuff it doesn't feel as nuanced as past games. You can pretty much perform the same techniques to dispatch most enemies. With no diversity in tactics the game can get repetitive real fast, you seem to fight an endless supply of bad guys in each wave so the game feels long as a result. I can't comment whether it improves on a higher difficulty, I may return to check it out at a later date. Boss battles range from average to incredibly tedious, the trex was an exercise in protracted tedium.

Technically the game suffers from a hell of a lot of slowdown and at frequent intervals, this coupled with some atrocious button latency lends a really sluggish feel. There is a lot going on most of the time but the framerate should always be stable on games of this ilk. Button latency is a big no no for me also. The game also suffers from some incredibly long load times which can't be mitigated by a full install a la Xbox 360.

The visuals are nice and crisp with nice lighting and texture work if a little murky at times. Overall the presentation is nice and slick.

Summin up I would say that the core of a quality Ninja Gaiden game is there, Ryu still controls like a dream despite the technical issues and the combat is still among some of the most brutally efficient in the genre but it's clear that the series is still trading on past glory without pushing itself forward. It's suffering from the COD rollercoaster syndrome, which provides immediate thrills but nothing really substantial to go back for.

Enjoyable in small doses for low expectations. 6/10
  • Deleted user 13 February 2013 14:33:23
    Also....

I haven't played any online stuff yet so I don't yet know how that all works.

During my playthrough I used the Pro Pad and the Gamepad. The pro pad was definitely the best choice due to the frenetic nature of the game but the screened pad held up well.

The game looked great using the off tv function with no additional technical issues.
  • Deleted user 14 February 2013 08:29:59
    Dead Space (first one)

This had been sitting on my shelf for a wee while so with Dead Space 3 coming out thought I'd get into it and see what all the fuss was about. Weirdly enough what it reminded me most of was not The Thing spliced with System Shock and Event Horizon like i'd hoped but uh, Alan Wake. That game was also about running around in the dark fighting the same type of monster for the entire game. It was about as much a horror game as AW was too. Not scary, repetitive enemies and environments and a plot I really didn't care for too much (I didn't give a toss about Isaac or Nicole. Where did the beirdy scientist piss off to half way through?). I didn't like the bosses and the final boss was a major let down. The moments the game was about to get creepy it would spoil it time and time again by throwing loads of enemies at you instead of just letting the ambience and sound get to you. Plus, two turret sections. I freaking hate turret sections now.

Ok, negatives out the way then, it didn't live up to my expectations BUT was a fantastically enjoyable game, superb sound and graphics, the enemies were still really well designed. Above average level design that, although I had to backtrack a bit, it never felt like I was too much. The weapons were awesome and I liked all the upgrades you could do to them, your suit and your stasis / kinetic powers. The puzzles were nicely balanced and the low gravity bits were cool.

I finished it fully expecting to want to rush out and get the second before moving onto the third and while I totally will go on to the other too. I find myself in not much of a hurry.

7/10 (I wanted to like it more dammit)

Edited by BillCityfingers at 08:30:45 14-02-2013
  • Ultrasoundwave 14 Feb 2013 09:10:18 3,335 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    Dead Space (first one)

It didn't live up to my expectations BUT was a fantastically enjoyable game, superb sound and graphics, the enemies were still really well designed. Above average level design that, although I had to backtrack a bit, it never felt like I was too much. The weapons were awesome and I liked all the upgrades you could do to them, your suit and your stasis / kinetic powers. The puzzles were nicely balanced and the low gravity bits were cool.

Think thats the first time i've seen a "fantastically enjoyable game" with "superb sound and graphics" get 7/10 :-P

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Deleted user 14 February 2013 09:48:53
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    Dead Space (first one)

It didn't live up to my expectations BUT was a fantastically enjoyable game, superb sound and graphics, the enemies were still really well designed. Above average level design that, although I had to backtrack a bit, it never felt like I was too much. The weapons were awesome and I liked all the upgrades you could do to them, your suit and your stasis / kinetic powers. The puzzles were nicely balanced and the low gravity bits were cool.

Think thats the first time i've seen a "fantastically enjoyable game" with "superb sound and graphics" get 7/10 :-P
    7 isn't a terrible score in my book chief. It can still be good fun and look great but have enough detracting features for me to take 3 points off. A 7 is still decent is it not?
  • King_Edward 14 Feb 2013 10:02:14 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bastion

+ Fantasticly enjoyable game
    + Superb sound and graphics

7/10
  • Page

of 417 First / Last