Recently Completed Games Page 310

• Page

of 410 First / Last

• Stranded87 25 Jan 2013 13:10:51 890 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wow, that review makes me want to give Halo 4 another try. I bought it a few weeks ago but after the first mission I had no desire to play it anymore, it just felt a bit soulless and like I'd seen it all before a million times over. I know you can't really judge a game on 30 minutes play, but it was enough to put me off a bit.
  • andytheadequate 25 Jan 2013 13:17:53 8,136 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Stranded87 wrote:
    Wow, that review makes me want to give Halo 4 another try. I bought it a few weeks ago but after the first mission I had no desire to play it anymore, it just felt a bit soulless and like I'd seen it all before a million times over. I know you can't really judge a game on 30 minutes play, but it was enough to put me off a bit.
    It's a good enough game, but if you're bored of the Halo format then this won't change that
  • Stranded87 25 Jan 2013 13:29:03 890 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Stranded87 wrote:
    It's a good enough game, but if you're bored of the Halo format then this won't change that
    Yeah I don't really know if I am, I enjoyed the last two that I played (3 and ODST), so I'm not sure if it's that or just a slightly weak start. I'll give it another try anyway.
  • PazJohnMitch 25 Jan 2013 14:11:18 8,028 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have played the first 3 missions and have found it solid but not remotely inspirational. I am hoping it picks up a bit as it progresses.
  • figaro7 25 Jan 2013 21:45:13 1,362 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    New Super Mario Bros U

+Mario in HD
    +Overworld
    +Secrets Galore
    +Challenge Mode
    +Gameplay is tight and challenging as ever
    +Playing on the wii u gamepad is awesome.
    +Some glorious level design....

-...followed by some pretty standard stuff
    -Main game feels pedestrian at times
    -New suits/baby yoshi's add little to the experience
    -Music similar to past games

The first HD mario experience is a great game, it doesnt stray too much from the formula though. The game comes into its own when your hunting down the 3 star coins in each level and playing the challenge modes. In reality these challenge modes are brilliant and solidify what makes the tight mario gameplay so good. It may be a 2d mario but there's enough content here to last a long, long time, well worth the punt for any platform fan.

8/10
  • RyanDS 27 Jan 2013 17:31:53 9,275 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Testament of Sherlock Holmes on PC.

For reference I tried to buy for 22 in Game on PS3, they couldn't find the disc, while they were looking I noticed the PC version hidden behind something, and that was only 8.99, so was delighted to grab that instead.

Anyway, onto the game...

If you have played Sherlock Holmes versus Jack the Ripper then you are getting more of the same. Personally I think these games are pretty much perfect for what they try to do. Puzzles are well designed, with just the right amount of difficulty, characters are well done, story is good and some bits are brilliant fun (for me at least.) It reminds me a lot of the old Tex Murphy games in design, which is a good thing. Finished it in two days, with last night my wife calling me to bed at 3am. I thought it was midnight or so, I was so caught up in the game. Haven't done that in years.

9/10
  • thenastypasty 29 Jan 2013 21:13:51 5,180 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Uncharted 3

+ At times a stunning looking game
    + story is ok if unspectacular
    + some of the set pieces are brilliantly done

- I find the gun play a little clunky
    - to many run to save your life sections

Solid enough game that didn't out stay its welcome

8/10
  • andytheadequate 31 Jan 2013 12:03:33 8,136 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    After nearly 80 hours, I've finally completed Persona 3 on the psp. What a brillian game! Just a shame that there was a lot of grinding at the end, but the combat system was fun enough for it not to be a big problem.

It would have been a 10 if it wasn't for the dungeon crawling nature of the tartarus. I'm not a fan of randomly generated dungeons as it just seems like lazy design, but the game is good enough for me to ignore that.

9/10

After a break from JRPGs I'm thinking of going onto Trails in the Skies (TitS!)
  • kinky_mong 31 Jan 2013 12:29:43 10,170 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    thenastypasty wrote:
    Uncharted 3

+ At times a stunning looking game
    + story is ok if unspectacular
    + some of the set pieces are brilliantly done

- I find the gun play a little clunky
    - to many run to save your life sections

Solid enough game that didn't out stay its welcome

8/10
    You forgot...

- That fucking difficulty spike in the cruise ship

Still a great game, although not quite as good as the second instalment though.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• FuzzyDuck 31 Jan 2013 12:35:00 4,039 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @thenastypasty

Did you install the patch that allows for the alternate aiming system? It fairly improves things IMO.

Quite how ND thought the default set up was a good idea is a mystery.
  • DUFFMAN5 31 Jan 2013 13:22:32 14,608 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MW3 sp campaign
    PS3
    Time: 6 hours
    Skl: normal

Only the second of the modern day settings CODs I have played and completed, the other being MW2.
    I enjoyed it. The worst thing was the amazing amount of noise the PS3 makes all the while it is running the game, nearly made it unplayable.

For the game and spec ops thingy
    6/10

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 13:23:18 31-01-2013

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• dominalien 31 Jan 2013 22:39:15 6,848 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Prince of Persia Sands of Time PS3

This has not aged well and it's not helped by a shoddy port from Ubisoft. The graphics are really low poly and really jarring in HD, but fortunately the animation is still top notch. Sound is completely messed up. Most sounds come off like they were made in a very small bathroom, with an awful metallic reverb. Many don't play at all or fade very quickly as the prince moves just a few steps away, making for a very quiet and random sounding game. Dialogue is also very hard to hear and I had to wear headphones to make out what was being said. Camera is wooden and likes to get caught on elements of the scenery and shake unpleasantly.

Luckily, the story and platforming hold up really well still. Combat is just as simplistic as I remember; just as well there isn't very much of it, with a couple of notable (and moderately frustrating) exceptions.

Overall, a nice trip down nostalgia lane from not so many years ago.

7/10

Which brings me to...

Prince of Persia Warrior Within PS3

This is by far my favourite from the SoT trilogy. This time I was playing on hard, having completed it at least three times before on the PS2 and PSP. Graphically it still impresses, apart from the in-engine cutscenes, where the characters are revealed for the low polygon messes that they are. I played most of the game in 3D and am very pleased with it.

Platforming is as excellent as ever and combat is much improved. The tons of combos are really superfluous, but the game does a good job of forcing you to develop and use differing tactics when faced with various enemies. The mechanic of picking up/stealing weapons from foes is a lot of fun.

Sound is also much better than in the PS3 SoT. The bathroom reverb appears only infrequently and while some sounds seem to be missing, it's much less noticeable and overall the game sounds fine. Even if you don't appreciate the new-metal (or whatever it is) soundtrack, which incidentally I do, there's some truly excellent ambient music.

Story and level design are fantastic. There's three separate storylines going on and you get to experience each of them in turn. The entire island of time has a great feeling of coherency and place, and the hopping between time periods and revisiting the same areas in different contexts works very well. I know many are not fans of back tracking, but here it's realised sublimely. I much prefer this type of level design to a linear path from one location to another, which is also the reason I much prefer e.g. Dead Space 1 to 2. This, of course, being DS1 to SoT's DS2.

Boss fights are less good. There is the satisfaction of discovering the tactic that works and perfecting it so that it can be pulled off again and again without fail, but then the boss fight becomes a tedious affair of repetition. Luckily, once the tactic is devised, most are over fairly quickly, with the notable exception of the fight against the Griffin. Which I also thought was one of the better fights, so go figure.

I can understand how people were put off by the change in tone from SoT and the much less likeable prince, but when viewed on its own WW is a truly fantastic game.

Unfortunately, at the end it turned out that the trophies for completing the game on various difficulties do not stack, so I'll need to play through it two more times if I want that platinum.

Despite that,

9/10

PSN: DonOsito

• Raiko101 1 Feb 2013 00:37:06 6,226 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Against popular opinion, or so I got the impression, Warrior Within is my favourite PoP game too.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• macmurphy 1 Feb 2013 02:24:36 999 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pilotwings Resort.

Not sure what all the fuss was about. I loved it and I had both the other two. It might have been a little short but I thought most of the missions were great fun. The free flight mode was epic, if you have a compulsion to collect stuff as I seem to.

Really enjoyed it, if you liked the other games I'm sure you would love this.

8/10
  • chrisno21 1 Feb 2013 10:33:45 1,495 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    Against popular opinion, or so I got the impression, Warrior Within is my favourite PoP game too.
    Hate warrior within. Love sands of time. Guess i'm a popularist!

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• Gunzberg 1 Feb 2013 19:56:27 1,731 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Max Payne 3 8/10

Enjoyed the setting and playing as Max, decent MP, good length in the campaign, high action. A bit samey though at times and why does every single cut-scene need a special effect ?! A bit overdone.

XCOM 8/10

Loved the base building and the missions. Hated the obnoxious difficulty and the total lack of cash flow at times even with constant A ratings and 95% council countries still supporting me. Also drags quite a bit in the middle and the story is negligible

Dishonored 10/10

Finished it today. 23 hours play time with a Low Chaos approach. Excellent length, art style, fluidity, powers, characters, animation, setting and decent story. Great atmosphere and mission locations.

Loved every minute of it. This is what Assassin's Creed should have been about. Can't wait for the DLC to arrive.

Highly, highly recommended.

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• Gunzberg 1 Feb 2013 20:02:00 1,731 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Metro 2033 7/10

Interesting setting, very close to the book's plot apparently. Runs beautifully on DX11 max settings and looks the part. Didn't like some bits though the amoebas and some of the endless monster attacks. Sometimes also confusing level design & objectives I hope that Metro: Lost Light steps it up in gameplay terms.

Spec Ops: The Line9/10

For the price of 10Euros this was amazing. A new FPS setting, a smart story adapting Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness (also via Apocalypse Now). Solid characters and gunplay. Decent multiplayer if you can get a match.

More please.

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• OmniaVincitAmor 1 Feb 2013 20:04:07 1,516 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Persona 3 portable. Awesome game. 60 odd hours, great characters well written, enjoyed every moment. Hoping for a next gen persona game.

9/10

Defeat is not getting knocked down, but refusing to get back up.

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 1 Feb 2013 20:09:37 6,654 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Far cry 3. Good, good good.

8.5/10
  • jabberwoky 1 Feb 2013 20:16:01 511 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    XCOM. Probably one of the most addictive games I have ever played. Had doubts about the apparent dumbing down reports on the original, but it is a great game, in some areas better than the 90s version.

The lack of random maps didn't bother me too much as each battle played uniquely. Lack of soldier numbers wasn't a problem as each was so individual it made up for it.

But it has to be played on ironman or some strict home made rules version of it to get the most.

12/10. Oh, wait I'm not allowed to do that am I . OK, 10 then.
  • andytheadequate 2 Feb 2013 00:00:50 8,136 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    OmniaVincitAmor wrote:
    Persona 3 portable. Awesome game. 60 odd hours, great characters well written, enjoyed every moment. Hoping for a next gen persona game.

9/10
    I found tartarus a little dull towards the end. Probably had around 50 too many levels imo. Great game though. I loved how they had streamlined it for the psp too, I imagine having to walk around the school would have been very tedious after a few hours
  • Paulie_P 2 Feb 2013 00:10:52 413 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @andytheadequate for me it never got dull because the Tartarus was randomly generated plus with the different quests from Elizabeth, I didn't get bored because I felt I was achieving something on top of the grind. Can't wait for the 4th one to come out in feb, my PSN wallet is stacked in anticipation!
  • OmniaVincitAmor 2 Feb 2013 07:11:38 1,516 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    OmniaVincitAmor wrote:

9/10
    I found tartarus a little dull towards the end. Probably had around 50 too many levels imo. Great game though. I loved how they had streamlined it for the psp too, I imagine having to walk around the school would have been very tedious after a few hours
    Maybe it was slightly too long at the end of tarty but I love a grindfest. The challenges set by Elizabeths sister at the end are rock hard too. That adds hours on the end. Top top game though. Gonna play zero escape now before losing more hours of my life into 4.

Defeat is not getting knocked down, but refusing to get back up.

• Rens11 2 Feb 2013 13:23:59 1,396 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Was bored of tarturus after 10 floors, terrible design decision

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• andytheadequate 2 Feb 2013 13:27:42 8,136 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rens11 wrote:
    To be fair, so was I, but I loved the combat and especially the social side of it. 80 hours in 5 weeks speaks for itself.

Does persona 4 have a similar thing to the tartarus?
  • thenastypasty 2 Feb 2013 13:34:50 5,180 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Black ops 2 PS3

Where to start...

-engine is really starting to show its age now
    -found the levels set in the past shit
    -the hit detection/bleed really got on my neves, far to intrusive
    -thought the strike force mission were a bit shit
    -story was totally forgettable and to be honest didn't really care what was going on
    - tried the MP and couldn't get on with it what so ever, no real tactics are needed, you just need to be first on the trigger

+ some of the futuristic guns were fun to use
    + ummmm

5/10

Edited by thenastypasty at 13:35:27 02-02-2013
  • Humperfunk 2 Feb 2013 14:07:15 2,160 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Rens11 wrote:
    To be fair, so was I, but I loved the combat and especially the social side of it. 80 hours in 5 weeks speaks for itself.

Does persona 4 have a similar thing to the tartarus?
    Individual dungeons of roughly 10 floors each, but much better.

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• YenooR 3 Feb 2013 12:22:30 532 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dungeon Siege 3
    Not a bad hack and slash game.Might go back and finish it with a different character at some stage.
    7/10
  • King_Edward 3 Feb 2013 12:26:46 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago

Wrong thread.

Edited by King_Edward at 12:27:36 03-02-2013
  • Deleted user 3 February 2013 12:43:29
    Sleeping Dogs

Picked it up in the Squenix sale knowing precisely nothing about it bar all the effusive praise on the forum.

+Hong Kong - stunningly realised with charm and personality, looks especially gorgeous in the wet.
    +A proper, honest gangster story for grown ups that wasn't trying to play to the crowd.
    +Great cast and some impressive voice work that really brought the characters to life.
    +Martial arts combat that was fluid, instinctive and fun.

-Gun combat felt weak, almost inconsequential at times and didn't use the environment to its most effective.
    -Final boss fight was disappointing, felt a little too close to the inconsequential hallucinogen QTE-fest boss fights from FC3.
    -Ending was surprisingly poor, even truncating the game from what would have been a proper final section or at least resolution.
    -For the first time ever, actually needed a binary choice at the end.

9/10
  • Page

of 410 First / Last