Recently Completed Games Page 307

• Page

of 405 First / Last

• TOOTR 5 Jan 2013 12:14:29 9,493 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bastion (XBOX360)

Just an all round great game. A charming mashup of Zelda, Diablo and a twin stick shootemup.

Pitched just about right - i.e not overwhelming and challenging (although if you want to up the difficulty there are ways to do that in game).

About to embark on the NG+. Looking forward to getting 200/200 on this puppy.

9/10

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• Abdu@EG 5 Jan 2013 15:00:17 15 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Fez - 9/10

Fantastic design and gameplay mechanic, great music and sound effects.

Datura - 5/10

Original, very short, easy puzzles, great visuals and music.

Infamous: Festival of Blood - 7.5/10

Fun, not bad.
  • Kovacs77 5 Jan 2013 22:27:39 364 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    just finished Max Payne 3, easily my game of the year. Once the fancy mechanics and tricks wear off in other games you're usually left with a shit unsatisfying story to trudge through (eg Far Cry 3) but this wasn't the case with MP3. Best story and best protagonist in a game for years. 10/10
  • FuzzyDuck 5 Jan 2013 22:44:03 3,892 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    NFS: Most Wanted (PS3)

A jolly good arcade racer that (rightly so) felt like a cousin to Burnout Paradise and NFS: Hot Pursuit. Thought the city was better than that of Paradise with more character, and the races felt more distinct as well (in that the routes had interesting features and layouts, rather than Paradise's 'drive in a square-circle around the city' that most of them took). I was initially sceptical of the 30FPS, but the lighting adds buckets to the game's atmosphere and i found the graphics to be a lot clearer than MW. And kudos to Criterion (again) for a well implemented custom soundtrack feature on the PS3. Racing games are the only genre where this matters for me, and they came up good again.

Biggest draw back is that there's little variety between the cars (in terms of both handling and things to do), and the DLC being dumped into the game was lame ("press triangle to go to the store" when I pulled up to one of the DLC cars. Fuuu.... ).

I'd give it a good 8/10, and would defo recommend it.
  • FatsoJetson 6 Jan 2013 00:22:31 302 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hitman Absolution

Loved Blood Money, loved this one too. Perhaps it's a reflection of my age and the fact I now have limited game time, but I appreciated the x-ray vision as helpful addition and the fact that there was a bit of diversity to the tasks and levels. Much as I'd like to, I just don't have the time to devote several nights to plotting the perfect assasination in just one level anymore.

Checkpoint system sucked, yes, and the disguise tweaks could be frustrating also, but I can understand why they made the changes they did - even if they might not have been to everyone's tastes.

Hasn't put me off buying another one in the series.

8/10
  • Mikeeeboy1 6 Jan 2013 11:08:31 167 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @FuzzyDuck
    I was unsure when I first started playing NFS most wanted.
    But like you I have really enjoyed the game.
    I would recommend it too.
  • creepylizard 6 Jan 2013 11:59:19 786 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Darksiders 2.
    Really enjoyed this loads. Yeah, it's borderline criminal the way it plagiarises prince of persia, various zeldas, portal and loads of others but it does it in a fun way complemented by a clean chunky art style.
    Also, a special mention for the voice acting which, I think, is some of the best I've heard in a videogame. Cheesy, B-movie, overwrought, cod-shakespeare nonsense in the best possible way
  • WinterSnowblind 6 Jan 2013 12:32:09 1,224 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I just finished Darksiders 2 as well and I was all around pretty disappointed. The first game set up a lot of interesting possibilities that this one completely failed to capitalize on.

I wasn't so bothered about the fact it's a prequel, given the 4 horseman backstories, ala the Avengers, before doing one big game with them all, would be an amazing idea. The problem is neither War or Death have personalities and the story was the absolute worst kind of padding I've ever seen in a game. The premise is to basically reach the well of souls, revive humanity and clear Wars name.. and they manage to stretch that out to 25 hours.

The game consists of going to a location, talking to an NPC, get told to retrieve macguffin, going to another location to find it, being told you have to collect 3 artefacts before you can enter dungeon with macguffin, talking to a new NPC, having to complete a task for him, etc, etc, etc. You could bring this complaint against many games, but they even attempt to mask it here, the pacing is awful and it doesn't once feel like you're ever achieving anything, you're just constantly striving towards that one goal and being passed around as the errand boy, despite the fact Death could snap anyone you meet with one hand. It's silly and the game feels like one huge slog.

6/10.
  • creepylizard 6 Jan 2013 18:02:48 786 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @WinterSnowblind
    It's weird that I agree with almost everything you say and yet I still enjoyed it more than a 6/10 game. Maybe it's because I was playing it in spurts in between other games it never got a chance to get too dull.
    Totally agree about it being overpadded though..
  • PazJohnMitch 6 Jan 2013 20:24:27 7,785 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Metal Gear Solid (PS1 via Vita).

First time I had played it. I thought it was very good. I was impressed by the sound quality. The graphics are still functional and the controls were simpler than more recent iterations.

There were a few annoyances but overall it is still a very impressive game.

8/10
  • SFD 6 Jan 2013 20:43:03 481 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The Walking Dead

Excellent game

9/10
  • muttler 6 Jan 2013 22:06:58 3,937 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    XCOM Enemy Unknown (360)

Just a few things I might've done differently, but overall AAA.

10/10
  • bronzemedal 7 Jan 2013 11:15:09 36 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Enslaved: Oddyssey to the West (360)

In terms of story telling, this game is probably the most compelling I've ever played. The quality of the script, voice acting and character animation is leagues ahead of most big budget games. It was also genuinely funny in places. The ending was pretty special too.

It's not perfect though; platforming is too easy i.e press analogue stick in direction and press A. It'd have been great if they'd used a similar control system to POP:The Sands of Time, or even the latter Tomb Raider games. Also, it seems like it's impossible to actually fall off ledges etc, which removes any real element of danger.

The combat is fun, if a bit repetitive -- the game does become quite formulaic towards the end, but due to its short length this doesn't become a problem.

I think anyone that is a little tired of gaming at the moment, should check this out. If felt like a breath of fresh air to me and it's worth playing for the great story alone.

8.5/10
  • imamazed 7 Jan 2013 11:30:01 5,520 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @bronzemedal Spot on. Forgot about this game. A real gem.
  • Abdu@EG 7 Jan 2013 11:51:48 15 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, Enslaved is very good. many overlooked games in 2010.
  • bronzemedal 7 Jan 2013 12:10:40 36 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Would like to see a sequel, but from what I've read it didn't sell well. Thing is, there's so much in the game that other developers could -- and should -- take on board. I was shown Mass Effect 3 on Saturday and whilst it looked visually amazing, the script was cringe worthy ... every exchange was full of horrible American clichés. It was hard to take seriously and the cheese stood out even more having just completed Enslaved
  • andytheadequate 7 Jan 2013 12:15:27 8,075 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The script and art style were good in enslaved, but I found the gameplay to be horribly average. The bosses were bad too. After the 6th chapter I had no inclination to continue playing.
  • bronzemedal 7 Jan 2013 12:29:15 36 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @andytheadequate

Yeah, the gameplay itself was nothing new and I think they could have really made something more of the platforming, but it was the first time I've wanted to finish a game for story alone. I did really like the bosses though, they get better as the game progresses
  • Ultrasoundwave 7 Jan 2013 12:52:38 3,264 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    bronzemedal wrote:
    Enslaved: Oddyssey to the West (360)

In terms of story telling, this game is probably the most compelling I've ever played. The quality of the script, voice acting and character animation is leagues ahead of most big budget games. It was also genuinely funny in places. The ending was pretty special too.

It's not perfect though; platforming is too easy i.e press analogue stick in direction and press A. It'd have been great if they'd used a similar control system to POP:The Sands of Time, or even the latter Tomb Raider games. Also, it seems like it's impossible to actually fall off ledges etc, which removes any real element of danger.

The combat is fun, if a bit repetitive -- the game does become quite formulaic towards the end, but due to its short length this doesn't become a problem.

I think anyone that is a little tired of gaming at the moment, should check this out. If felt like a breath of fresh air to me and it's worth playing for the great story alone.

8.5/10

Spot on.

I thought Enslaved was excellent and it really did deserve a lot more attention. Hopefully Ninja Theory can get the success they deserve with DmC.....

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• King_Edward 7 Jan 2013 13:10:21 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I thought it was terrible, and sold better than it deserved to. I also think Ninja Theory get a lot of credit for trying to do something they don't actually do very well. Telling a story.
  • FuzzyDuck 7 Jan 2013 14:08:55 3,892 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    I thought it was terrible, and sold better than it deserved to. I also think Ninja Theory get a lot of credit for trying to do something they don't actually do very well. Telling a story.
    This, pretty much, thought Enslaved was a flaming pile of brown, one of the most overrated games I've ever had the misfortune of buying.
  • FuzzyDuck 7 Jan 2013 14:11:15 3,892 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Mikeeeboy1

Indeed, it took a bit of playing for it to reveal its charms. In an add way it reminded me of Vice City; the map was not too big and had enough variety so that the result was navigating it by knowing it and not really using the minimap.

Let's you get absorbed into the game a bit more.
  • Mikeeeboy1 7 Jan 2013 16:57:19 167 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @FuzzyDuck

I agree with all of the above.
    Especially about the map being just big enough to
    remember but interesting to drive around.
    Paradise was way to big and messy to get my head
    around.
    But this is perfect!
  • andywilkie35 7 Jan 2013 23:23:20 5,338 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tales of Graces f

My PS3 blew up about a week before release, which was a shame as it was a highly anticipated game of mine.

However I then acquired a new PS3 many months later and blitzed it, wahey!

Main game took about 45 hours or so and was great - good cast and a satisfying ending. However, I then started the "extra" ending, which was a bit of a grind - added ten hours to the total time which went by quite quickly so not too bad but all in all, think it makes the game lose a mark as a result as it gave a much less satisfying ending to the game overall.

Great battle system too - my fourth Tales game and this is the first one where it's been noticeably different (whilst still remaining recognisable to the Tales system)

8/10

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Deleted user 8 January 2013 13:20:59
    Mass EffectPS3

Really enjoyed this and got quite invovled in the game. Having played the second one before this, the combat is a bit clunky, but i am really looking forward to taking my game save over to the second one and seeing what happens. Conversation choices are great, even if it is a bit piss easy just to whack up your charm/itimidate options.

A couple of conversation choices didn't pan out as i thought i did, and i even bedded ashely when i've been unkind to her and more charming to liara (so yes... realistic i guess, can't even succesfully guage relationships in this either! .. and yes i went back to a previous save to err.. yeah :) )

Liked the whole humans are a small fish in a big pond thing, and the plot and options got more involving as it went on - but also that no matter what some things are ineveitable - i havn't played 3 yet, and not sure how it ends, but have to see it if along those lines.

Cutscens are piss poor. editing is weird, sound and pop ups is evident all the time, but otherwise runs 95% of the time really well.

Thinking of getting ps+ to ensure i can cloud save if my ps3 blows up between now and say next month when i plan to start 2.

8/10
  • Armoured_Bear 8 Jan 2013 22:50:44 10,258 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Witcher 2 (PC)

+ Utterly gorgeous visuals
    + An actual decent branching story
    + Decent Combat
    + Great Voice Acting
    + Incredibly detailed, immersive world
    + Decisions have real impact.
    + Superb soundtrack

- Controls (360 controller) not perfect, suffers from being a port
    - Fiddly picking up of stuff, doors etc.

One of the very best games of this gen IMO, enthralling from start to finish.
    It took me 48 Hours according to Steam.

9.5/10

Edited by Armoured_Bear at 22:51:34 08-01-2013

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Deleted user 9 January 2013 00:26:44
    Christ finished two games off in one day...

Okami HD

+Looks astonishing in HD.
    + Fantastic gameplay
    + Inovling story, that has a a whole breadth of ideas and inspiration
    + Great cast of characters
    + Great soundtrack

- Feels a bit too long, not that i enjoyed every minute, but it is long.
    - No real depth to the world.. as in yeah comparing it to zelda, theres no massive temple or something that requires serious puzzle solving, i guess oni island is the closest, but its pretty linear in ideas, but i guess its streamlines a massive game.

Really enjoyed this, missed it first time round. Its a wonderful game. Its a bit long, and my interest waned in places ( but i alwasy ended up playing for long periods). Its looks astonishing in had, colours are bright, and pop out, the game art is fantastsic, and the animation so as well. It is probably in the top few best looking games of this gen, let alone the last. Its inpiration from zelda is clear .. from game design, to audio ques, its zelda light in a way, well, half fat, half light, but as a complete package it is fantastic. The story is great and as a nod to japanese traditions and myth its valuable as well.

9.5/10

Edited by joelstinton at 00:27:16 09-01-2013
  • SolidSCB 9 Jan 2013 17:43:35 6,387 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Halo 4

Always loved Halo but this felt a bit off. Felt as if the locations in the campign took a backseat to the Chief/Cortana nonsense and not a terrible amount actually happened considering this was a first proper introduction to the Forerunners. I understand it was a 'first contact' type deal and it is the first game in a new trilogy, but it didn't really leave me with a lot of intrigue for Halo 5.

Gameplay wise it was very decent in regards to the AI. Heroic difficulty is absolutely spot on, providing a challenge but always giving you a fair crack. The new enemies also provided a new challenge and I found them very difficult at first. Was very dissappointed that the objectives still havent developed past running to a series of switches and turning stuff off. Next time I have a power cut in my house I'm just going to assume the Master Chief had something to do with it.

It still feels like Halo gameplay wise, but it didn't feel anywhere near as epic as some parts of the other campaigns have.

7/10
  • Deleted user 10 January 2013 00:23:03
    Hitman Absolution

I enjoyed this far more than I thought I would. As a big Absolution fan I was filled with trepidation after all the controversy but I have to admit to being fairly impressed. They've done a pretty good job of making the gameplay more fluid with more satisfying gunplay and line of sight stealth without totally abandoning the core of Hitman.

8/10
  • Deleted user 10 January 2013 00:33:17
    Dead island

Just put an epic bit of playing this week to finish it, total play time over the last month or so I think is about 40 hours. Loved every damn minute of it. While far from being a polished game (floating plants in the jungle, weird stair physics etc etc etc) I forgave each and every flaw because I enjoyed it so much. There's just so much that's great about this game.

It's cheap on amazon these days so if anyone has ever been on the fence with this, buy it. Esp as riptide is out soon.

9/10 (yes, really!)
  • Page

of 405 First / Last