Recently Completed Games Page 304

• Page

of 403 First / Last

• Kay 22 Dec 2012 18:40:41 17,739 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    The league table is ridiculous at the minute. A 6 point swing either way could take a team from Europe to fighting relegation or vice versa.
    At least wait until the season has completed before reviewing it.

Edited by Kay at 18:41:09 22-12-2012
  • Shikasama 22 Dec 2012 19:10:41 6,570 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hah! Multi tab fail
  • Mr_Sleep 23 Dec 2012 22:31:49 16,799 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just finished Deadlight. It seemed to me that it was trying to use the 2.5D in the same style as Shadow Complex but failed completely to make it a useful feature. The amount of times I had to wait for a "shadow" to come onto the 2D plane to hit it with my axe became far too frequent.

Not sure I enjoyed it too much, the story was pretty much a case of has he killed his family and the whole thing is a nightmare or is it all real but he still killed his family. So the story was a bit crap.

The platforming elements worked quite well in places but there were some seriously unfair elements to it too. There were a couple of deaths that were in no way avoidable. For some reason this works in Limbo but I found it just plain frustrating in Deadlight.

So, kind of enjoyable for a few hours of gaming but not exactly amazing. Probably a solid average, really.

You are a factory of sadness.

• FatsoJetson 25 Dec 2012 00:44:31 302 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Far Cry 3

Easily one of my games of the year. It and Borderlands have revived my love for FPS - although both offer a little more than your run-of-the-mill FPS.

Taking down outposts like a ninja was the highlight, as was scaling the radio masks and the bounty missions. Storyline has been massively over-hyped by the devs - it was largely pants, but there were plenty of interesting characters to fill the world.

9/10
  • snick 25 Dec 2012 00:48:43 239 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just finished The Walking Dead, bizarrely gave me the same feeling as finishing Halo Reach, given the personal futility of the situation.

Great game, looking forward to more of the same.

3DS Friend Code: 2664-2229-3515

• Spong 25 Dec 2012 00:55:11 525 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just done Deadlight, not 100% yet though, I missed a few things. I thought it was a great little game, although I'm glad I never paid 1200MSP for it, it's too short for that price.
  • Paulie_P 25 Dec 2012 01:33:59 405 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Finished New Super Mario Bros U tonight. I enjoyed this one a lot more than some of the recent ones and I thought the difficulty was higher too.

The world map is a vast improvement on the linear maps of the earlier game.

9/10

Edited by Paulie_P at 01:34:28 25-12-2012
  • DrStrangelove 25 Dec 2012 02:48:31 3,242 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Doom 1, Doom 2. It has been years since I had that much fun playing a FPS.

edit: Currently playing TNT Evilution on PS3 and Plutonia on PC. TNT is great although a few levels are shite, but Jesus, Plutonia is an evil sado-masochist bastard of a punishing game. How can you make a Doom game that's as hard on I'm too young to die, as Doom 2 is on Ultra-violence?

Edited by DrStrangelove at 02:58:07 25-12-2012
  • FuzzyDuck 25 Dec 2012 02:50:52 3,843 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    andywilkie35 wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    @andywilkie35

Did you try out the MG:R demo on ZoE?
    Yes I did mate, thought it was very good. I'm a huge MGS fan and loved Bayonetta which might have helped :)
    Only seeing your post now, oops.

That's good news, I'm not really a fan of MGS' ggameplay, but i do love the world and lore and think Platinum have produced the best action games this gen, so this is very much music to my ears!

Also, happy Chrimbo everyone \o/
  • JoeBlade 25 Dec 2012 19:50:45 2,483 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Limbo (PC)
    All the praise is very much deserved, fantastic game. Since I'm not a platformer enthusiast I found a bit frustrating in the final sections but the incredible quality and atmosphere more than make up for that.

I would never have purchased this at full price however, considering its length and total lack of replayability.

I'd say an 8/10 though it's easily at least one point more than that if you're fond of puzzle platformers.

Deponia (PC)
    In an age where TellTale almost seem the lone developer of decent adventure games it's refreshing to see someone else pull it of rather well.

I found it very reminiscent of the old Sierra games, though that includes the downsides: several puzzles felt contrived for instance, or the plan was relatively obvious but the execution wasn't.
    Unfortunately I don't have the patience to randomly try all item combinations these days.
    The music and sound effects were rather repetitive in places as well.

All in all I'd still recommend it to anyone who enjoys point and clicks. A 7/10 I'd say.
  • Vortex808 26 Dec 2012 01:13:14 6,890 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Walking dead pt 1. That was really rather good.

A bit clunky, but I am a dead-cert for buying the rest in the sale now.
  • LionheartDJH 26 Dec 2012 12:10:58 19,352 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Witcher 2 (360) - 9/10

Story is fantastic, featuring deep characters with their own motives and set in a beautifully realised world. Some of the moral choices inhabit a very grey area and require 'lesser of two evils' type decisions, as opposed to the simple clear cut 'be a saint/bastard' system present in ME for example. The main choice had me deliberating for half an hour or so before I finally decided which way to go, can't say that's happened in any other game!

The combat system is deceptively deep and requires a methodical approach on the higher difficulties (I missed out a bit because I pussied out and played it on Easy where button bashing can win most fights, but I can appreciate the depth nonetheless). On top of that the presentation is top notch; graphics, voice acting and music are all great. Translates well to the console, only issues I had were occasional clunkiness and little annoyances such as having to 'meditate' to do crafting and alchemy as opposed to doing it direct from the inventory screen.

Fantastic RPG, certainly looking forward to a second playthrough.

Battlefield 3 SP (PS3) - 7/10

Looks and sounds great and is a solid COD-type FPS campaign (albeit one which feels a bit more realistic). However it's definitely a missed opportunity; for a game with an MP mode that allows for such freedom it seems odd to have a restrictive linear campaign. A campaign mode where you could approach missions the way you want, using on foot troops or vehicles, would be amazing.

Or at the very least give the option to play an offline game with bots to practice using the vehicles, seeing as the campaign doesn't even let you fly the jet!

She dives for cheese pasties

• CosmicFuzz 26 Dec 2012 13:09:33 22,913 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gravity Rush 7/10

Starts off really well and flying about the place is great fun and never gets old. However the story is all over the place and it gets pretty samey by the end. Plus the flying kick Frequently misses and fights can drag out a bit.

Still, overall it's a lot of fun.

My game of E3? Rainbow 6! Find out why...

• TechnoHippy 26 Dec 2012 13:28:03 14,695 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    HAWX

Quite a fun plane shooter, the story is silly, but it doesn't really matter. Quite a good selection of planes as well.

7/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• lordofdeadside 28 Dec 2012 10:29:59 1,095 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Forza Horizon

+ looks stunning
    + very smooth (feels higher than 30fps)
    + great range of races, without dipping into awful gymkhana or anything
    + sense of place, the range of environment and game world size are perfectly judged
    + festival setting works well
    + perfect arcade version of forza handling, it feels like forza, but you can push the cars further and power slide all over the place, great fun
    + brilliant soundtrack, nearly every tune is ace (except pulled apart by horse. Euuurgh.)
    + barn finds and sign collection, neat ideas that didn't over do the collectables trope

- night racing, a massiv dexter size in frustration especially on the r class races.
    - quite a lot of rubberbanding in the ai, you can't really pull out a lead and sometimes cars ahead will slow down to a crawl to let you back in. Most noticeable on the plane v car races where you can put in times across a massive range and the plane is always 0.5 secs behind you. Still it keeps the races close and it doesn't have much of an impact 99% of the time.
    - challenging othe racers on the open road was a bit pointless

9/10
  • SteveHolt 28 Dec 2012 19:47:39 425 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    NINJA GAIDEN BLACK, Master Ninja Difficulty

Hurray! I'm a bit proud that I have now completed both NG games on master ninja.

I think I liked NG2 better overall (less backtracking, no grinding, better weapons, more intense combat), but NGB feels like a more complete experience because there's a sense of exploration and a good balance between platforming and combat. It's also a very methodical game - knowing how to approach each situation is already half the battle, while NG2 is definitely much more frantic.
  • munki83 29 Dec 2012 10:30:06 1,394 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dishonoured PC 8/10

Got this as it was the last game of the 2012 games I hadn't got round to playing it and thought I'd get it done while I'm off work. I can see how people can finish this quickly but took me about 17 hours according to Steam and I'm pretty sure I explored the game pretty well. Dishonoured is a great looking game with some ugly characters in it. The majority of the characters you meet in the game are to be honest mean sons of bitches but this adds to its charm. Too many games try to create ally characters that are likeable and its refreshing to see some that aint.

My biggest issue is the Story didn't grip me as much as I thought it would. The game world is incredibly interesting and I wanted to explore more of it but the storyline of the game was fairly dull. I didn't emphasise with the main character so I didn't really care why he was doing things but that mite just be me not caring.
  • StixxUK 29 Dec 2012 11:04:57 7,216 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution t'other day.

Thoughts: Great sci-fi concept, well handled and with lots of background if you want to dive into all that stuff.

Gameplay-wise very streamlined, felt good to play and all of the systems worked as they should. Good fun, lots to do, good replay value.

Boss battles: this has been done to death, but seriously how shit were these? Not sure if the final boss was part of the outsourcing debacle as it seemed to have some vague elements of hacking and stealth, but overall was still pretty shit.

I'd probably give it a 9, the boss battles almost brought it down to an 8 (and would have done if I hadn't read about the Typhoon and avoided the LIMB software upgrade which disables it, but the polish and story/concept made up for it.

Last point, Adam Jensen was a bit of a crap main character not in terms of the concepts and motivations, rather in the way he looked and sounded, but whatever.
  • FatsoJetson 29 Dec 2012 20:48:07 302 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mark of the Ninja

Great stealth title. Really tight control scheme and lots of interesting ways to approach each objective. The kind of game you can have a bit of fun with, seeing what strategies work and then trying again without having to endure long load times or poor check pointing.

Hope to New Game Plus it at some point and go back and mop up the last of the collectibles/challenges. I got it for 600 points in the XBLA pre-Christmas sale but its well worth the 1,200-point asking price.

9/10
  • King_Edward 29 Dec 2012 20:52:43 11,454 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Shank was soooooooo bad, I still can't force myself to buy Mark of the Ninja.
  • Deleted user 29 December 2012 21:59:39
    Gravity Rush 10/10

Probably the first female character game that has hooked me.

Story telling is perfect for a handheld imo, with swipe(story advance) and motion sensor 3D view, taking the Infamous comic up a few notches.

Normally I play in a lounge/room environment, where hearing and watching cut-sequences would be competing with the TV/background noise (and being polite to inbound conversation). Fortunately Gravity Rush works brilliantly in those gaming conditions, and the Vita's pause/suspend feature makes everything easy to play at any pacing.

The gameplay can seem a little repetitive at times(just like infamous) until getting the hang of the controls for movement or experimenting with the different powerups, like stasis field and environment props. Imo, when it all comes together for you as a gamer it feels great. I'll certainly be buying Gravity rush HD when if it gets a PS3 re-release, and even though I got it free on PS+, I'm now going to buy a new physical copy, to support the game, and a sequel.

Story wise, Gravity rush feels as well crafted as an amalgamation of two good Miyazaki films, and is easily a contender for me as game of the year.
  • Tomo 29 Dec 2012 22:19:34 13,876 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Meh. Stopped playing Gravity Rush after an hour or so. Different strokes.

Hotline Miami - 10/10

Just perfect. Awesome, brutal fun, tight controls, awesome music and graphics. It just ticks all the boxes and assaults your every sense. Superb.

Mark of the Ninja - 9/10

Again, pretty much perfect. The Steam sale has been good to me, especially with indie games which will run on my laptop and are a joy to play, just as much as a AAA title.

The controls are the best thing about this. Not once do you feel restricted to try taking out a room of guards in a unique and daring way. If you fail, it's because you weren't quick enough or your plan is shit.

It reminded me of Abe's Oddysee but with swords and ninjas. The slow drip of different enemies is really well paced as are the perks and the levels gradually change introducing more and more types of obstacle: lasers, moving blocks, booby traps etc. Towards the end they combine to magnificent effect. It's really an excellent demonstration of good level design.

My only negative criticisms are a slightly throwaway story and a slightly anti-climactic ending. But they are very minor issues. It took me about 13 hours to finish. How you finish it in 5 is a mystery to me. If you've read reviews and you're worried about the length of this game, it's really not an issue.
  • Paulie_P 29 Dec 2012 22:29:51 405 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @vizzini agree 100%, one of my games of the year.
  • bladdard 29 Dec 2012 22:46:54 898 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Uncharted Golden Abyss

+ Great shooting mechanics - brilliant motion controlled aim fine tune.
    + Beautiful environments.
    + Great voice acting and character interaction.
    + Proper Uncharted on a handheld.

- Gimmicky touch screen controls which add nothing.
    - Stupid gesture controls.
    - Really stupid gesture controls for boss fights.
    - None of the brilliant OTT set pieces uncharted is famed for.
    - Character interactions and story not quite as good as PS3 big brother.
    - Usual enemy spamming.

7.5/10

I really enjoyed this game and it reminded me so much of Drakes Fortune. It's quite incredible this game is on a handheld.
  • richardiox 29 Dec 2012 23:23:14 5,519 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    In the last three days I've clocked;

FAR CRY 3

Decent, enjoyed it and probably my favourite open world shooter. Dicks on Crysis. 8/10

HOME

Thought this was interesting but ultimately overrated. Didn't like the fact that ill never know what actually happened. Was worth the 1.99 though just for something different. 6/10

JOURNEY

This featured on so many GOTY lists figured I should do the decent thing and give it a whirl. Loved it, did it in one sitting with about 3 coop partners. Ending was brilliant and it was gorgeous to look at. Actually had more environments than I was expecting too

I would give it a 10 but its too short. I know that kind of works in its favour but it cost me a tenner. Either should have been an hour longer or cheaper. Can't see myself playing it again but still, 9/10
  • andywilkie35 29 Dec 2012 23:35:46 5,338 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've been a very busy boy recently:

Persona 4 Golden (PS Vita)

One of my favourite games gets a re-release on a handheld console with tonnes of new content. Looks better than ever and lost none of its charm, and the new content slots in seamlessly making it bigger and better than ever before.

10/10

Far Cry 3 (PS3)

Wasn't on my radar at all - picked up Far Cry 2 on the cheap years ago and didn't get on with it so had no intention of picking this up but the reviews and hype swayed me.

Very happy I ended up getting it, ended up collecting the majority of side things and clocked in around 25 hours. Some superb watercooler moments as well, mostly to do with wild animals mauling the shit out of camps etc.

9/10

The Walking Dead (PS3)

Oddly, I wasn't even aware this game existed until a few weeks ago, no idea how I missed it. Bought it then but only got round to playing it on the 27th and finished yesterday by playing the last three episodes back to back.

Not much more to say that hasn't already been said but easily in my top three for the year. Completely taken by surprise at how it all worked etc and just...wow.

10/10

All in all I feel very lucky I played these three back to back - gaming has been very enjoyable for me lately :)

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• munki83 30 Dec 2012 01:22:48 1,394 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Transformers War for Cybertron PC 7/10

This has been a fun wee game for 3.75ish on the Steam sale. It's a pretty standard third person shooter with no cover mechanics. The setting is great but I'm biased as I loved transformers growing up and in my uni days. My only gripes is that it can be a bit clunky in places and the textures are a little on the poor side. However the models are awesome and transforming is cool
  • figaro7 30 Dec 2012 02:58:17 1,362 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Assassins Creed 3

A game thats so ambitious, it almost gets you to belive your playing one of the best adventure games around. Make no mistake, it is a thoroughly enjoyable experience from its story to its characters and even the well thought out sea battles are side missions! Which herein lines the problem, the fundamentals of the gameplay are really starting to show.

The parkour gameplay is frustrating, dont jump on this, why are you climbing that wall and why are leaping to that and not this. It wasnt as noticable in the series until now but again this can be attributed to another thing, the environment.

Its easy to get drawn into the cities and the frontier, but they are not the vertigos of the past games, different eras, etc i understand that but the majority of the time it wasnt really necessary to be on roofs, etc. Even looking at the synch views which were too easy to achieve, they werent that high at all. While the colonial era doesnt hold a candle to european architecture, its still a game and some rules could have been bent.

Combat is vastly improved, more meaty, but this ironically is where the game falters as well. Your an assassin but at times during the main story it felt like you were a one man army.

I havent started on the glitches or the disappearing NPC, etc but i wont, because i still really enjoyed AC3. Its ambition, story, characters and side missions almost outweigh the frustrating gameplay that goes with it.

8/10
  • Nitrous 30 Dec 2012 17:03:30 319 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Forza Horizon:

+ Looks stunning
    + Night and day racing
    + Plenty of cars to pick from
    + Forza handling
    + Forza 4's livery editor included

- Someone else has arleady said it but quite a lot of rubberbanding in the ai and challenging other racers on the open road was a bit pointless.

9/10
  • TOOTR 30 Dec 2012 18:34:51 9,485 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @SteveHolt Kudos and respect there matey.

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• Page

of 403 First / Last