Recently Completed Games Page 303

  • Page

    of 425 First / Last

  • andywilkie35 17 Dec 2012 11:39:46 5,338 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    @andywilkie35

    Did you try out the MG:R demo on ZoE?
    Yes I did mate, thought it was very good. I'm a huge MGS fan and loved Bayonetta which might have helped :)

    PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

  • gelf 17 Dec 2012 12:47:58 188 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fallout 3

    I've never been convinced with WRPGs and this didn't really change my mind, It did hook me enough to want to finish it though but I can't see myself playing through it again. It probably didn't help that I played this after New Vegas as I preferred the setting of NV and it felt less..grey.

    Both have the core problem that most open worlds have in that I don't get much joy from pure exploration so most of the world is lost for me. I get tired of seeing the same reused assets all the time and it feels a slog to find the areas with more character. Also most subquests I found fairly dull and so I lost interest in seeking out the good ones.

    Still I'm sounding more down on it then it deserves, I enjoyed the journey for what it was especially when the quests where outside identikit subways.

    8/10
  • Mekanik 17 Dec 2012 22:03:00 3,734 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Had no internet for a few days so finally got around to finishing off Crysis 2. Pretty immense and really good fun. Defo worth another play through at least. Someday.

    Finished Halo 4 too. Loved every minute of it. 343 really did do well with it. More of the same halo stuff but some new toys and weapons made it interesting enough. Thought the story was pretty good too although a bit sad at the ending. Wonder where they`ll take it next?
  • Vortex808 17 Dec 2012 23:21:27 7,580 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Far Cry 3

    Was a lot of fun. Large islands with plenty to do, and some rpg-lite 'skills' to level up.

    The story was utter bilge mostly. By the end I just wanted to get it done. Which is an issue I have with a fair few games these days. Maybe it's an age thing.

    It was certainly entertaining enough that I'll probably try the co-op missions and see if I can be arsed going for the full 1000GS. Not sure I have the desire to do that though.

    It was close to being my favourite game this year, but whilst it improved on FC2 in some ways, it was worse in others. The story did not help that at all imo.

    It definitely feels great to begin with being unleashed on this island, wildly scampering about hunting and exploring, but every time you have to progress the story it did have a negative effect until you were free to explore again.

    8.5/10
  • FWB 18 Dec 2012 10:07:18 45,578 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Assassins Creed Brotherhood.

    First one I have played. Fair amount to do and see, but a bit long winded. Don't dig the connection to the present part of the story. Feels tacked on. Just keep the game in the 15th century.

    Controls are decent for climbing, but can be frustrating in other places. Biggest issue is with some of the missions that are so strict on how you complete them that I ended up restarting countless times due to some action that hadn't been made clear to me. Interested to see what the latest one is like.

    7/10
  • mikeck 19 Dec 2012 15:57:41 1,936 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Don't dig the connection to the present part of the story. Feels tacked on. Just keep the game in the 15th century.

    That's the problem with playing Brotherhood as your first AC game, without playing the previous games Desmond's parts will feel tacked on.

    If you've played from the beginning you should be invested in that storyline - or so the theory goes ;)

    I agree though, I'd like to play an AC game that is purely rooted in one time period.
  • PazJohnMitch 19 Dec 2012 17:18:26 8,724 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mikeck wrote:

    I agree though, I'd like to play an AC game that is purely rooted in one time period.
    You mean like the Vita one?
  • bladdard 20 Dec 2012 15:44:57 1,021 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bulletstorm - PS3 (PSN+ freebie)
    + Fun
    + Nice gimmick
    + reasonable visuals

    - standard rinse repeat FPS gameplay
    - annoying fat necked dude bro protagonist
    - pointless NPC - they seem invincible but have weapons that barely scratch enemies meaning you do all the work and have zero protection.

    6/10 - A fun game which I did enjoy but the plot was weak and I couldn't give a shit about the poorly
    acted characters.

    Journey

    + Epic
    + Beautiful
    + Inspirational
    + Emotional

    - Short
    - Linear

    9.5 / 10 - So close to a 10 but too linear. If they'd made it more open world with a number of ways of reaching the checkpoints it would feel more like your personal journey.
  • PazJohnMitch 21 Dec 2012 08:28:14 8,724 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Crimson Shroud (3DS eshop)

    I never played any table top RPGs but decided to give this a go because it sounded interesting.

    Every battle requires thought. Battles are not press A 5 times to win like every current RPG. This is essentially why I enjoyed it so much.

    The game is short (took me 10 hours, par sounds like 6) however it is tight and has no excess baggage. Another huge plus for me.

    9/10 (my goty)

    Note I have not played most of this years big hitters yet.
  • dancingrob 21 Dec 2012 10:00:21 1,191 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Walking Dead (360)

    + some of the best characters I've ever encountered in a game.
    + emotional and intense
    + plot is just about different enough from your standard zombie stuff to keep interest
    + a modern update on classic text adventures / point and click

    = more of an interactive film than a game

    - technically it's awful. It managed to lose all my existing saves after Episode 3, and I frequently had to reload the game several times to get it to work, possibly as it was played on a different Xbox from the one it was brought with.
    - some random freezing / slow down at certain points, although this got a lot better after patching
    - a couple of plot points are slightly predictable / don't make much sense



    Despite the technical issues, the game was so good, it's still the best game I have played this year


    5*
  • mikeck 21 Dec 2012 10:00:55 1,936 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch Having no interest in the Vita, I didn't realise this ;)
  • coomber 21 Dec 2012 19:39:40 348 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @dancingrob im really struggling to see quite why this game is getting so much love from people. Don't get me wrong, I like it and im midway through episode 4 so maybe my opinion will change.

    But, as you say, its a technical mess, grinding to a halt every now and then. The audio is amazing but visually, while it nails the style of the comics, the rough edges leap out.

    And I often find myself wondering what im supposed to do next. Not because im stuck by a puzzle but because I don't know what puzzle im expected to be solving.

    Its fun, but I don't love it.
  • Paulie_P 22 Dec 2012 00:03:06 416 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hell Yeah
    I liked the premise but I felt the end result was lacking. The comedy fell a bit flat for me too.

    + The Happy Bunny song
    + nice premise
    + Wario ware style sections

    - some of the obstacles were a bit cheap eg the robot thing ~5 enemies before the end, required you to drill a hole over a spike but not too far or it was instakill, then you had to push a pyramid which shot fire through ironed railings towards the hole you drilled - fucking irritating
    - the comedy fell a bit flat
    - most of the weapons felt useless
    - the island mini game is a waste of time
    - an achievement that is literally luck
    - some deaths are repeated

    4/10

    Edited by Paulie_P at 01:15:08 22-12-2012
  • dominalien 22 Dec 2012 07:59:10 7,065 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Resident Evil 3 (PSP)

    Best game I played this year.

    8/10

    PSN: DonOsito

  • ZuluHero 22 Dec 2012 08:28:08 4,302 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dark souls \o/

    Brutal, exciting, frustrating, compelling, addictive. One of the best realised worlds I've ever spent 60-odd hours in.

    11/10 :)
  • CharlieStCloud 22 Dec 2012 09:15:00 5,525 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Graveland wrote:
    And what an ending it is.
    ... and then you are slowly taken back to the front menu and you suddenly realise exactly what you have been seeing all along.

    ... : (
  • Paulie_P 22 Dec 2012 09:53:08 416 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Graveland that's some trolling there. Limbo is a great game but there's room in this world for the Marios and Rayman and those games certainly aren't easy. They're designed so you could beat the final boss fairly easily but to see everything in those worlds is a challenge. Heck even the recent Mario U made getting to the end difficult so to say all platformers are piss easy is a sweeping generalisation without merit.

    Also in recent years we've had Super Meat Boy, Mega Man9 and 10, Braid to name but a few if the bright pastel colours and challenges if games like Mario put you off. There's no reason both can't exist.
  • King_Edward 22 Dec 2012 10:00:07 11,471 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I didn't care much for Limbo. Goods looks and nice story aside I thought it was often unfair.
  • wobbly_Bob 22 Dec 2012 10:45:13 1,898 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    I didn't care much for Limbo. Goods looks and nice story aside I thought it was often unfair.
    That's the point though. I it's like dark souls in that it builds tension by you knowing you could die instantly at any moment and layering the sense of dread and hopelessness on as thick as it can. We pretty much it's the theme/point of the game that death is swift and unfair. I would urge you to try again with that in mind.

    That said, the i can fully understand why that would put you off the game and you wouldn't like it :-)
  • King_Edward 22 Dec 2012 11:36:44 11,471 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:
    I didn't care much for Limbo. Goods looks and nice story aside I thought it was often unfair.
    That's the point though. I it's like dark souls in that it builds tension by you knowing you could die instantly at any moment and layering the sense of dread and hopelessness on as thick as it can. We pretty much it's the theme/point of the game that death is swift and unfair. I would urge you to try again with that in mind.

    That said, the i can fully understand why that would put you off the game and you wouldn't like it :-)
    I finished the game, so I didn't hate it or anything. Just thought it's difficulty came from the wrong place.

    I can certainly see both sides of the argument though. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/04/john-and-kieron-argue-about-limbo/

    Incidentally if you do love Limbo you should try LittleBig Planet's "Unfair Platformers". A very similar design.
  • wobbly_Bob 22 Dec 2012 12:31:37 1,898 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok, rest cheers! I do have lbp so will check that out :)
  • CharlieStCloud 22 Dec 2012 16:12:35 5,525 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    I can certainly see both sides of the argument though. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/04/john-and-kieron-argue-about-limbo/
    That was painful reading ...

    ... John didn't really have any concrete points to back up his claims, but that Kieron chap came across as a real prick.

    Seems like Kieron is confusing 'waa, waa ... I keep unfairly dying!' with the subtle and purposeful acts of dying in LIMBO because that is what the game is all about, right?
  • King_Edward 22 Dec 2012 16:22:02 11,471 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:
    I can certainly see both sides of the argument though. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/04/john-and-kieron-argue-about-limbo/
    That was painful reading ...

    ... John didn't really have any concrete points to back up his claims, but that Kieron chap came across as a real prick.

    Seems like Kieron is confusing 'waa, waa ... I keep unfairly dying!' with the subtle and purposeful acts of dying in LIMBO because that is what the game is all about, right?
    Not really. He's just saying that the game being intentionally unfair, doesn't stop it being annoying.
  • Syrette 22 Dec 2012 16:26:18 44,208 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I take it Kieron is the infamous Mr Kieron Gillen?

  • monkehhh 22 Dec 2012 16:29:53 3,501 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Syrette Yep.
  • PazJohnMitch 22 Dec 2012 18:15:32 8,724 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Never thought Limbo was difficult. Certainly no where near as hard as Land of the Livid Dead on Rayman.
  • Page

    of 425 First / Last

Log in or register to reply