Recently Completed Games Page 299

• Page

of 406 First / Last

• PazJohnMitch 12 Nov 2012 12:42:51 7,833 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really enjoyed Body Harvest too. Have you dusted off your old N64?
  • Tomo 12 Nov 2012 13:07:26 13,882 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cadence wrote:
    Tomo wrote:
    Super Mario Land 3D - 10/10

Finished this properly now, getting all the coins, all the flags with both characters and the final world. It was a fucking blast from start to finish. Absolutely brilliant. Tough going at times, but rarely unfair. It's also a perfect example of why Nintendo handhelds do so well for me. The big titles are fully realised games rather than palmed off versions of their console counterparts.
    That damn final bonus level is a bitch though! Still can't do it.
    Took me a good few goes but I've done it with Mario and Luigi. Easier with Luigi though, certainly. The hardest bit was the fracking Toad stood on the block, before the warp pipe. Go in with 2 tanooki leaves though, makes life a whole lot easier.
  • Stranded87 12 Nov 2012 19:40:37 867 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Last Express

Can't believe I've only just played this. It really is a remarkable game, the graphics and certainly the art style still look quite impressive even now 15 years on, the writing and voice acting are both brilliant, the whole concept is superb and very ambitious. The execution is maybe slightly lacking and as with most supposedly open ended games most of the supposed 'choice' is something of an illusion, but it's still very, very good. A masterpiece in fact.

10/10

Edited by Stranded87 at 19:43:45 12-11-2012
  • mrpon 12 Nov 2012 21:14:57 28,495 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Platform stranded?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• kentmonkey 12 Nov 2012 21:17:08 20,454 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can't work out if that's a genuine question or a train pun.
  • mrpon 12 Nov 2012 21:18:53 28,495 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :D

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• AgeOfChaos 13 Nov 2012 05:59:43 255 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    I really enjoyed Body Harvest too. Have you dusted off your old N64?
    Yes, but the anlogue stick is a little creaky. Glad you liked it too, lets hope they do a remake
  • drhcnip 13 Nov 2012 06:26:24 2,452 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    silent hill 2 on the ps3 hd collection

still loving it after all these years - 9/10

happily halfway through 3 now....
  • Stranded87 13 Nov 2012 10:27:21 867 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @mrpon iPad. I've actually had it on PC for a while now but never got around to playing it.
  • Monsieur_Blade 13 Nov 2012 22:32:39 339 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Halo Combat Evolved: Anniversary Edition

This was my first ever Halo game and I really enjoyed it. I can understand why the gun play was so highly praised when it was first released.

Pros:

- Loved the outside levels
    - Great gun play
    - Vehicles mixed up the gameplay and added some variety
    - Good enemy AI
    - Great final couple of levels

Cons:

- Indoor levels were very repetitive and all corridors look the same!
    - Wasn't a massive fan of the alien enemies
    - Even the updated graphics look a little dated

Overall I really enjoyed the campaign and it's definitely made my mind up to buy Halo 4!

8/10
  • Raiko101 14 Nov 2012 04:51:38 6,097 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I haven't played the original Halo since it first came out, but I can relate to the level repetition. It's not just corridors and rooms, but entire sections of levels were repeated, more than twice in some cases. Most people I know were able to look past this and enjoy the game, but I got a little disorientated at times and thought it was quite cheap. I managed to complete it, but it's the only one of the 4 I bothered with.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Monsieur_Blade 14 Nov 2012 08:56:28 339 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    I haven't played the original Halo since it first came out, but I can relate to the level repetition. It's not just corridors and rooms, but entire sections of levels were repeated, more than twice in some cases. Most people I know were able to look past this and enjoy the game, but I got a little disorientated at times and thought it was quite cheap. I managed to complete it, but it's the only one of the 4 I bothered with.
    Yeah the fact large areas were just repeated really threw me at first. I had no idea if i was heading the right way or going back on myself! it did cheapen the experience a little but i guess it was done due to hardware constraints back in 2001?

To be honest, if i was judging the game by today's standards i'd have given it a 7/10 but i always had in the back of my mind that it was an 11 year old game so i gave it a little leeway.
  • santashi 14 Nov 2012 09:34:28 5,057 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Virtue's Last Reward

I obviously don't want to go into too much detail about what I liked about the game as I don't want to spoil it for anybody, but it certainly has a very engaging story that becomes more and more interesting the further you get into it, and characters that largely develop well. There are, unsurprisingly, a number of great twists and turns in the plot, so you should have at least one or two moments where you gasp in shock as your brain quietly implodes at a revelation.

The puzzles are generally very satisfying, with a nice sense of achievement when they come together, although a few of the extra parts to them can come across as a bit obscure at times. You can switch down to easy if you find them too tricky, but at some point you will need to do them in hard if you want all the information in the story (although you then have the advantage of having solved them previously to guide you).

The new flow chart system in the game is very handy and much appreciated, as is the log that allows you to scroll back through the text.

The English voiceover was superb, with a few voices in particular standing out for me, such as Phi. I really do think that it added something to the game (apart from a massive increase in expletives from 999) and made me feel more immersed.

I was playing the Vita version and the controls worked well for me. I did end up pretty much abandoning the memo system partway through the game, though, and went with traditional pens and paper instead, as there was not enough room on the memos for the notes I wanted to make. Might just be me over-scrawling though.

All in all, an excellent game and moreover an excellent story that I highly recommend.

9/10
    ... And I can't say why I've knocked the point off because it would be a huge, huge spoiler.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• FatsoJetson 15 Nov 2012 14:43:24 302 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yakuza: Dead Souls

Started playing this on release in March, then abandoned it for months before picking it back up again two weeks ago.

Not sure why I stopped playing as it really is a fun game. I think it could get tiresome if you tried to do all the little side challenges, but I just stuck to the main story thread and most of the substories (45 out of 60) and had a great time, especially playing as Ryuji Goda with his arm-mounted minigun. Goro Majima's chapters were also great fun.

8/10

I'll put it in the swapsies thread if anyone's interested.
  • munki83 15 Nov 2012 20:12:41 1,401 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit 7/10

Awesome platform game with a great style and sense of humour. Its the love child of Metroidvania and Earthworm Jim. Its a bit rough towards the end and its at its strongest in the first third. Well worth getting on Steam Sale. Soundtrack is mostly awesome as well :D
  • Deleted user 15 November 2012 21:27:26
    Halo 4

+The graphics are amazing. The 360 can still surprise with how good it can look
    +Combat is as good and as tactical as always
    +Enjoyed the new enemies(mostly) and weapons
    +Cortana
    +Legendary is the perfect challenge

-Some QTE's, annoyingly used at the end
    -While the music was good, it wasn't up to it's usually (very)high standards

10/10

My personal GOTY so far and I haven't even touched the multiplayer side of things yet. Really looking forward to the next one.
  • DUFFMAN5 16 Nov 2012 09:06:43 14,438 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gears of War
    First time I have played it in years, although I have been playing this co-op, on and off for weeks with the wonderful EGer Lionheart.

Finished off the last 2 chapters over two evenings. I'm a massive Gears fan so I was always going to like. I think it still stands up after all these years, of the 3 campaigns it is secong only to Gears 2. When you meet the Beserker for the first or even second time it really is one of the gaming moments you will never forget. pallet is very grey/brown of course and to be critical the enemies do sometimes get lost in all scenery, but that is all I can really mark it down for.

10/10

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 09:17:33 16-11-2012

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• dr_swin 16 Nov 2012 09:15:47 4,867 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I replayed the original Gears through on PC. It has an extra chapter which was quite good. I wish they would re-release the others on pc too.
  • Phattso Moderator 18 Nov 2012 04:16:32 13,212 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spec Ops: The Line (360)

As a third person cover based shooter I found it more entertaining and satisfying than either of the last two Gears games, with only Max Payne 3 beating it for gameplay kicks and variety.

But as an experience, and as a prompt to actually see beyond the technology of warfare to the consequence, it was something that I've wanted to see for quite a while. It gives you all the genre conventional toys to play with, but then it lets you wade in the aftermath.

OK, so by the end I was thinking "OK, guys, we get it. Point taken." but despite being slapped on a little thick in places it makes an effective point.

I liked that the set pieces, while still being very OTT and Hollywood, felt grounded in the reality of the game. You don't need to drop a bucket of sunshine on the Eiffel Tower to impress and dazzle; Call of Duty take note. And the setting, the artistry, and some of the cut scenes are spectacular just to look at. A great game world to be a tourist in.

Just as importantly, though, it's a bloody good game in its own right. Couple of difficulty spikes (and I was only on the second of four difficulties) and some annoying aim/clipping issues that I could've done without, plus the odd chapter that slightly outstayed its welcome but overall very entertaining. I can see myself playing through this again.

8/10
  • Agent_Llama 18 Nov 2012 09:17:14 3,340 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @drhcnip As an SH2 obsessive who hasn't bought the HD collection because of the terrible reviews, is it worth a pop? It's been going cheap in Asda for ages.

Edited by Agent_Llama at 09:17:46 18-11-2012

3DS: Mooky - 2019-9643-8311
    NNid: Agent_Llama
    Vita/PS3/360: Faloola
    FFXIV ARR: Alekzander Lockhart, Odin

• drhcnip 18 Nov 2012 09:39:09 2,452 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    i've just finished it on ps3 and i've really enjoyed it - nowhere near as bad as the reviews led me to believe

there's a bit of slowdown, mainly when you're walking through the streets in sh2 and there're critters around but moving the camera to the side fixes that

the water on toluca lake during the rowing scene is still fairly poor - i remember that appearing in a review or two as well - but it's for a few minutes, if that

the parts that have fared worst are the cgi movies - probably something to do with the resolution? they look really old & shonky, particularly in sh2

sh3 has fared better overall

most of the problems are those we love the sh series in part for - its general shonkiness etc.

if it's cheap (is it about a tenner now?) then definitely go for it, especially if you're a fan
  • lordofdeadside 18 Nov 2012 10:20:15 1,102 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Halo 4

A triumphant return for the series. 343 have created a game that can sit alongside the other titles with pride. The campaign is well paced and has a suitably bombastic space opera story which managed to be quite gripping at times. The new enemies are ok, but they didn't overstay their welcome, more levels with marines would have been good.

+ Incredible visuals
    + sense of physicality
    + Story (silly over the top fun)

- Poor sound for the grunt voices and the warthog
    - new enemies are a bit average, quite bullet sponge like in places

90%
  • RyanDS 18 Nov 2012 14:36:37 9,070 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bulletstorm on the PS3

Awesome to the max. Genuinely engaging, is silly story and character, amazing set pieces, lovely graphics that are multi coloured and some great boss fights.

9/10

And free thanks to ps plus!

assassins creed on the vita,

7/10 well worth he money, and a good game in the series. Loved the gameplay and the different personas a but I have docked a point for the story making not sense and another point for the economy being crap. Any review giving this less than 6/10 is just trolling.
  • drhcnip 18 Nov 2012 19:45:27 2,452 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    finished silent hill 3 & homecoming now - so the last weeks have seen me play downpour and replay 1, 2, 3 & homecoming....and great larks its been as well

love me some silent hill, if only the room was bc.....
  • king26 18 Nov 2012 23:37:55 546 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Uncharted Drakes Fortune.
    Third playthrough, a truly great game of this gen. Great mixture of gunplay, platforming and puzzle solving. Charming and lovable characters, good script, great adventure with a cool twist and graphics that still hold up today. Yes Among Thieves and Drakes Deception are superior in almost every way but DF was the perfect start to a GREAT series.
    10/10
  • Paulie_P 20 Nov 2012 10:06:39 411 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I Am Alive

Finished the first playthrough and 50-50 on whether I'll play through it again to get the Survivor and Rescue All Victims achievements. It started off well, I liked the stamina system which made navigation a bit tense but towards the end of the game it turned into something a bit more combat heavy. Like at the start, I mainly used my stamina items, so by the the time it got to the combat heavy sections, I had a whole load of health items.

Having said that, by the end of the game, I had a whole load of unused resources - I was pretty stingy when it came to resource management.

I'd have to give this a Eurogamer 8/10
  • Vortex808 20 Nov 2012 10:51:37 6,978 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Halo 4

I enjoyed this very much, more than 3 I think. It was great fun and I'm quite enjoying the altered multiplayer and Spartan Ops stuff too.

The only (mostly minor) cons were the changes to grunts and there seemed to be less amusing marine chat to eavesdrop on. Also, like in Borderlands 2, some information being relayed was occasionally lost in the noise of the fights going on.

Final boss was a bit disappointing and some of the new enemies felt a little bit cheap sometimes, and weren't as fun to fight as the covenant.

9/10 and I'll definitely be playing more MP and campaign again.
  • Raiko101 20 Nov 2012 15:21:28 6,097 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Metroid: Other M

Kudos to Ninja Gaiden for doing their own thing with this one. It wasn't going to please everybody, but as a massive fan of the series, I think this is a great game in it's own right. The story isn't amazing, but it was refreshing to see the inclusion of one, I thought. At one point it almost felt as if it were going to become a survival horror game, which would have been absolutely amazing. Unfortunately things quieten down before they really get going, which is a shame.

There's not much else to be said that hasn't already. The game is begging for nun-chuck support, but works well enough without it I suppose. The freedom to fully explore the environment becomes restricted until quite near the end of the game, but i've just discovered, whilst writing this, that you can return to ship, after the credits have rolled, to collect everything you've missed. Good times!

I will say if you played this, but gave up part way through, it's worth a second visit. Persist! As much as I love Super Metroid (my all-time favourite game) and Metroid Prime, I wouldn't mind another Metroid game that plays like this one!

8/10

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Paulie_P 20 Nov 2012 15:52:37 411 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Raiko101 Those Nintendo guys must've paid you well for that review ;)

OJ - each to their own I guess. I hated Other M, it's faults have been discussed widely so I won't go into them here.
  • Trafford 20 Nov 2012 16:32:02 5,644 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mass Effect

5 years on since I first played it. During 2&3 I really had no recollection of this game.
    I'd originally found it clunky and the combat too hard, but I really wanted to get the full experience.

Happily this time around I really got it, cruising along on casual over a few late nights.
    I loved its LoFi feel, and the groundwork Bioware were laying with the lore. And the soundtrack (natch).
    It's quite a short game if you want it to be, the key story missions were very entertaining, I will be going through again with a renegade femshep I think.

Upon completion I jumped right into ME2, lapping up the fantastic opening sequence and the improvements to the combat.

9/10
  • Page

of 406 First / Last