Recently Completed Games Page 298

• Page

of 408 First / Last

• munki83 4 Nov 2012 21:23:06 1,407 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Borderlands 2 (PC) 9/10

Its a fantastic games. The combat is weighty you get a ton of content for your money and the characters are fantastic to listen to....when you can. The game has an annoying habit of playing story line dialogue during combat so most of the time I couldn't hear what was being said. Which is a shame as Handsome Jack was awesome and I hope Gearbox figure a way to get him into some dlc. Borderlands 2 isn't a huge step forward from the first one but its a step in the right direction and was a joy to play from start to finish. Its a tad long at 40 hours + to finish the main quest and most of the side quests. Also the game can have a few difficulty spikes but that may depend on play style.

Shadow of the Colossus 8/10 (PS3)

I bought this when it came out and meant to play it after Ico which was good but I thought it was slightly over-rated. SOTC kinda suffers from the same thing. I had high expectations and in general it lived up to them. Graphically it suffers for being a ps2 title but the art direction and the sense of scale is incredible. The horse animation is great it may not be the most realistic but it looks great in my eyes and the 9th colossus looks amazing and really intimidating. The boss fights were epic especially the flying ones. The way to defeat them were a bit obtuse at times. Also don't feel sorry for the colossi they deserve death :p
  • andytheadequate 5 Nov 2012 00:23:05 8,108 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Broken thread?

Edit- fixed

Edited by andytheadequate at 00:23:45 05-11-2012
  • Rens11 5 Nov 2012 01:06:54 1,391 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @andytheadequate

I'd recommend sticking with Grandia for the moment as FFT could lead to Tactical RPG burnout

Edited by Rens11 at 10:24:37 05-11-2012

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• andytheadequate 5 Nov 2012 10:01:58 8,108 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Rens11 - good call. I completed chrono trigger in September hence why I chose to play VC2 first. The psp has a ridiculous amount of good rpgs available, basically the only reason I bought one
  • trip919 5 Nov 2012 22:24:02 2,264 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @andytheadequate

Final Fantasy Tactics is the very epitome of 'repetitive' so you might want to hold off on that one. :)

Just completed Binary Domain and what a surprisingly and stonkingly good game it is. Varied in its locations with excellent shooting mechanics (an area where a lot of games trip up) and a compelling story (even with some cliche characters and dialogue). Enjoyed it far more than Gears 3.

8/10
  • andytheadequate 5 Nov 2012 22:44:17 8,108 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @trip919 - is FFT really that repetitive? I've heard ita a bit of a masterpiece but never really played any strategy rpgs before, except VC2. I played the first 2 battles and my main character died in both of them. Think I need to practise...
  • trip919 5 Nov 2012 22:59:58 2,264 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, definitely - that's what killed it for me the first time I tried to complete it. It's great don't get me wrong, but it's basically story (cut scenes) and battle and that's your lot. Also, in battle you end up just repeating repetitive actions just to gain points for the characters that aren't even engaged in (immediate) battle, like throw stone etc...

I always thought Shining Force 2 on the Mega Drive was better as it merged the two worlds of the JRPG with the strategy RPG to give it a varied flavor that never settled into repetitiveness for me.

Still, Final Fantasy Tactics does tell a decent yarn and is challenging enough to compel you to keep pushing forward.

I'd recommend playing it but I'd give it some time if you're already feeling a bit 'burned out'.

Edited by trip919 at 23:00:29 05-11-2012

Edited by trip919 at 23:02:13 05-11-2012
  • mrpon 6 Nov 2012 12:56:11 28,694 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gears Of War 3

Suitable end to the trilogy and loved nearly every moment of it, and this. I like the "it's not broke don't fix it" approach to the gameplay/mechanics/interface etc.. You just feel at home when you fire up a Gears game, active reload is just an inspired mechanic if you ask me.

Played on Hardcore and it seemed easier than previous installments, other than the last "bit" which took a few attempts.

I'm shit with voices so never noticed Ice T in this.

Point deducted for the crappy underwater section.

9/10

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• SlackMaster 6 Nov 2012 13:01:34 3,132 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @mrpon I just couldn't get into Gears 3... completed 1 and 2 but stopped playing 3 at the Cole train touchdown bit and have never got back. I'll probably not be getting the next Gears game until it is heavily discounted.

XCom: Enemy Unknown

9/10

Played on normal and may go back for another try on a harder difficulty. excellent RTS that takes everything that was great about the original and puts it all into a more modern package. My favourite game of 2012.

PSN ID: To_Many_Rules

• mrpon 6 Nov 2012 13:04:59 28,694 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I started Bayonetta, but just couldn't get into it at all. It was like a new pair of uncomfortable shoes. Gears 3 was just a lovely pair of comfy slippers.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• hypoBla5t 6 Nov 2012 19:37:24 1,385 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    El Shaddai: Ascention of the Metatron

I was bought this for my birthday back in April and it's been sitting in my backlog for a decent while.

I'd like to draw the analogy of a perfectly timed training ground style free kick routine. Its trying to do something familiar but in a new and novel way, and for me it totally works. It's a game where nothing is wasted, lithe and lean. Love it. To keep it brief:

+ Graphics - have to be seen to be believed. Tripped-out neon spacey vistas ahoy!!
    + Soundtrack - awesome.
    + Combat - obviously the main bones of the game and is highly accomplished. Nice interplay of the 3 different weapons and the gradual smashing of armour is a nice touch that keeps the combat feeling chunky.
    + Exploration - 2D and 3D sections are fun and mix it up nicely. There's even a bloody driving section!!
    + Characters - Enoch is a pro and that guy on the phone - what a legend.
    + Story - thought it was excellent throughout
    + Bosses and enemies - really liked the design and they fitted well with the visual style
    + Length - finished it in about a week playing hour-long sessions per day and that felt just right for me.

- A couple of chapters perhaps were a bit longer than they should have been.
    - Errrr that's it I think.

Perhaps I have a bit over-generous, I guess it's cool that during a decent if not vintage year for games I've played a game that tries something a bit different and truly nails it.
  • TechnoHippy 7 Nov 2012 22:26:07 14,705 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    XCOM Enemy Unknown

I enjoyed this a lot. It kept most of what made the original so much fun to play.

8/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Armoured_Bear 9 Nov 2012 00:46:29 10,502 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Alan Wake's American Nightmare (PC)

+ Gorgeous Visuals
    + Better Weapons
    + Nice environment and atmosphere

- Repetitive
    - Lazy re-use of 'levels'
    - Poor story

7/10

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Mola_Ram 9 Nov 2012 04:26:31 7,132 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    SlackMaster wrote:
    XCom: Enemy Unknown

9/10

Played on normal and may go back for another try on a harder difficulty. excellent RTS that takes everything that was great about the original and puts it all into a more modern package. My favourite game of 2012.
    Errr... it's an RTS? I thought it was turn-based. If that's not the case, then I don't think I'll get it - not a fan of RTS.
  • PazJohnMitch 9 Nov 2012 05:15:01 7,954 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Mola_Ram

XCOM is turn based.
    Like Advance Wars, FFT, Valkyria Chronicles, Disgaea, Fire Emblem...
  • Deleted user 9 November 2012 07:36:11
    Halo 4

+ presentation near perfect
    + cut scenes
    + audio and visual design
    + story

- same old game play
    - poor levels compared to Reach
    - outside cut scenes there were no stand out game play moments
    - new enemy types poor
    - new weapons add nothing, just re skins of previous guns.

All in all still a great game but when I go into something hoping for it to maintain standards previously set it falls short. Easily the weakest part is the levels. In all previous Halo games I have wanted to go back after completing it and go straight back and play all the great levels again, not so with 4.

Only briefly played MP and didn't enjoy it but I did not give it enough time to know for sure.

• King_Edward 9 Nov 2012 07:39:21 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Story good, gameplay bad? I never thought I'd read that in a Halo review.
  • Deleted user 9 November 2012 07:42:23
    King_Edward wrote:
    Story good, gameplay bad? I never thought I'd read that in a Halo review.
    Well, gameplay wasn't bad it just was no different and any new elements introduced didn't work that well.
    Also the story was not great in a literacy sense, more in the way it pleased me a fan of the fiction and had way more character depth than Bungie games.
  • andywilkie35 9 Nov 2012 12:27:43 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS Vita)

One of my favourite series of games and MGS2 is - dare I say it - one of my favourites within the series.

Completed it many times before, so skipped all the cutscenes and ran through it, managed to complete it in just under four and a half hours.

Looks brilliant on the Vita screen and plays superbly, even the touch screen controls worked fine for selecting weapons/items etc.

Only complaint I would have is that every now and then the control stick seemed a little too sensitive which in one particular section caused a death or two.

Probably a small amount of people own a Vita and haven't played MGS2, so would recommend it for them very much. Even if you've played it before and have a Vita, for the price it's definitely worth getting stuck in again.

9/10

Dishonored (360)

A game that wasn't on my radar at all until the reviews started emerging and had a load of games to trade in, so ended up picking this up.

Went for a "No kills" playthrough and unfortunately had the glitch some other people had where it said I killed one person on mission 6, despite killing absolutely no one which is a shame.

Superb game though, although suffers from the same problem some had with Arkham Asylum where I ended up in the game's equivalent of "detective mode" for the vast majority.

Story was interesting and well told and the game world itself was superb. Would definitely pick up a sequel on day one and may return to this one day to try and finish it without killing anyone, if the game allows it!

edit: completion time (worth mentioning as it caused quite an issue on release) was well over 20 hours and I didn't see everything. Could be down to my slow and cautious approach but the four hour times quoted are...well it would be impossible.

8/10

Edited by andywilkie35 at 12:28:44 09-11-2012

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Kangoo 9 Nov 2012 15:51:06 1,016 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Dishonored.

I really enjoyed it, but by the end I just wanted to get it finished. Was trykng to ghost it, but the flooded district level put paid to that.

Enjoyable game, with nice styling and fun stuff to do, but I did feel it out-stayed its welcome by the end.

8 out of 10.
    Thiw was exactly how I felt by the end, was going to try a 2nd stealth playthrough but just couldn't be bothered. The first 6 missions were amazing, just hated the last one and was relieved to finish it and trade it in.

8/10

PSN: Adwab2

• Tomo 10 Nov 2012 15:36:44 13,886 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Super Mario Land 3D - 10/10

Finished this properly now, getting all the coins, all the flags with both characters and the final world. It was a fucking blast from start to finish. Absolutely brilliant. Tough going at times, but rarely unfair. It's also a perfect example of why Nintendo handhelds do so well for me. The big titles are fully realised games rather than palmed off versions of their console counterparts.
  • superdelphinus 10 Nov 2012 15:44:09 8,038 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    the testament of Sherlock holmes (PC) 8.5/10

great story, good puzzles, nice graphics, good use of Beethoven's 7th symphony's allegretto :)

hilarious shyte acting by whoever does Watson and some slightly annoying pixel perfect puzzles knock the score off.

On of only about 10 games I've actually completed in the 25 years or so of playing games, which says a lot!
  • ltbobby 10 Nov 2012 16:33:04 303 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Assassin's Creed Liberation

Started off ok but controls start to get very annoying as you play on. Graphics are pretty good but a bizarre badly put together story really highlight the shoddy control systems. Usually with Assassin's Creed games I can overlook the annoying controls and interface problems because the stories are pretty gripping and keep you playing. With a cohesive story ripped out if this you really notice the problems more.

6/10
  • klassobanieras 10 Nov 2012 16:40:46 10 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Black Ops II main campaign, just now. It was...weird.
  • theguy 10 Nov 2012 16:41:01 653 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    MORTAL KOMBAT 2 (SNES emulator)

Kintaro was much much harder than Shao Khan (mainly cause i spammed Shao Khan with Meleena) but I did it. I finished the game. No idea on what to rate it

9/10?
  • lavalant 10 Nov 2012 17:24:22 1,271 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    theguy wrote:
    MORTAL KOMBAT 2 (SNES emulator)

Kintaro was much much harder than Shao Khan (mainly cause i spammed Shao Khan with Meleena) but I did it. I finished the game. No idea on what to rate it

9/10?
    It's a brillaint conversion, probably one of the best, (better than the recent release on PSN/Xbla) The best one ever though would be on the Midway Arcade Treasures collection (I have the original Xbox version but it's for PS2 also)

As for the game?
    I'd give it 8/10, it's just to hard due to the opponents 'reading' your inputs, so you really have to resort to cheap tactics.
  • jellyhead 10 Nov 2012 17:57:07 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dishonored (PC)
    Really enjoyed the game. It's setting, design, art and sound design were superb. The story was interesting enough to keep me going and there's a nice set of environments to play in. Can't think of one mission i didn't like and there's a couple that will stay in my mind for a while.

I played a low chaos run with as few alerts and deaths as possible and always went non-lethal for targets. Going to start my murder run now but still go for no detections and i'll still have room for a fully murderous run after that.

There's certainly scope for different styles of play and replayability and a decent number of side-quests and objectives.

The only bugbear i have is the feedback from the stealth mechanic. It was a bit hit-and-miss working out if i'd be seen which made me over-cautious but then i was exploring everywhere.

I'd be happy if they use this engine as the basis for the next Thief game. There is one, yes?
    :(

This signature intentionally left blank.

• AgeOfChaos 12 Nov 2012 11:07:32 255 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Body Harvest - N64

This game is a cunt! I love it but its a cunt. Body harvest will always be one of my favorite games of all time. But my god, it can be brutal sometimes.
    You see, its a free roaming game from the guys who went on to make GTA3, so there's freedom and vehicles galore. Each of the various levels are vast, and the game takes an age to complete.

The problem is, im not sure the game was ever finished. Random glitches plague your progress, and in a game where save points are few and far between, it can result in you flinging your n64 pad against the wall.
    You'll be driving along after a 2 hour session, heading for the save point, and then your car gets snagged on an invisible rock on the road. Now your cars fucked, so you jump out, landing halfway down the cliff to your left. Now what? You try in vain to make your way back up the cliff, but no, you fall to your watery death. This is Body harvest.

But there's so much to love. The music is great, and used sparingly to really create an atmosphere of isolaton. The giant space insects are towering foes that scream as you tear them up with your ww2 tank.

I do love this game, and feel cheated that we won't ever see a sequel or a remake. It didn't sell well at all. I'd love to see a eurogamer retrospective of this forgotten gem.

Edited by AgeOfChaos at 11:10:49 12-11-2012
  • Cadence 12 Nov 2012 12:41:03 1,684 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Super Mario Land 3D - 10/10

Finished this properly now, getting all the coins, all the flags with both characters and the final world. It was a fucking blast from start to finish. Absolutely brilliant. Tough going at times, but rarely unfair. It's also a perfect example of why Nintendo handhelds do so well for me. The big titles are fully realised games rather than palmed off versions of their console counterparts.
    That damn final bonus level is a bitch though! Still can't do it.
  • Page

of 408 First / Last