Recently Completed Games Page 296

• Page

of 414 First / Last

• jabberwoky 20 Oct 2012 15:47:19 525 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gears of War 2. 8/10

Got it for 4 second hand. Quite impressed, it was longer than I thought it would be (on hardcore) and a really fun ride, with more focus on the enemy and their home world which added a lot to the plotless one dimensional GoW 1.

But, there is a caveat, there were some very annoying bits as well, where you had to re-load too many times, although the shootouts were good enough to make the reloads just about do-able. You were expected to know too much, like the lake monster who you have to shoot in the eye, except there are no eyes on it until you shoot it where the eye is, but why would you know its there? I tried to throw a grenade into its mouth, apparently you have to walk inside it. Why would you do that? Then there is the infamous reaver bit near the end where its impossible to shoot them out of the sky, apparently they are supposed to land but don't. (Got through it by constantly re-loading till they did land ie 40 times.
  • wobbly_Bob 20 Oct 2012 15:56:14 1,800 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Borderlands 1 - fun, fun, fun and lots of guns! I loved it. If there is one thing that's better than shooting something in the face with a hot gun its shooting them in face with a new better gun! 9/10

Started borderlands 2 today... :-)
  • Deleted user 20 October 2012 16:19:10
    Dishonored.

Brilliant, wonderful level design.
    Superb graphics except some dodgy textures. Interesting characters and several ways to finish each level. Top notch voice acting. Wonderfully realised world that is a joy to be in and learn about.

GOTY no question in a good year of games.

Close to a 10 but will go for 9 mainly due to occasional ai issues and not as good as a straight up action game.

Just finishing second playthrough this week then onto x com.
  • PazJohnMitch 20 Oct 2012 19:33:33 8,144 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    Borderlands 1 - fun, fun, fun and lots of guns! I loved it. If there is one thing that's better than shooting something in the face with a hot gun its shooting them in face with a new better gun! 9/10

Started borderlands 2 today... :-)
    Also finished this earlier in the week. 8/10 for me as I found the final bit disappointing.
  • Deleted user 20 October 2012 19:35:45
    The ending to borderlands is terrible. After all that effort with your friends then "was that it?????!!!!". How shit.
  • King_Edward 20 Oct 2012 19:47:00 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    At least it was an ending. Your lucky to get that these days.
  • wobbly_Bob 20 Oct 2012 22:20:19 1,800 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Agree with you guys on the ending although I liked the fact that the vault was empty and you had been played all along. But the final boss fight was just crap. It was almost like they ran out of time/money and it's a shame there is no real closure.all the characters are like oh ok then. Also they could have done ng+ for the game.
  • PazJohnMitch 20 Oct 2012 23:17:34 8,144 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have no qualms with the story events at the end of Borderlands it was the level and mission design of the last few areas I disliked.
  • Rens11 22 Oct 2012 00:53:52 1,406 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Motorstorm Apocalypse

Got it free on PS+ such a variety in the quality of the races and at times the rubber banding is too severe, although when it all comes together it's some of most thrilling racing I've had this gen

8/10

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• overcorpse 22 Oct 2012 01:37:16 273 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dishonoured

Even though the ending was telegraphed from the second mission i loved the story and setting.The gameplay allows you to pull off some crazy stuff,taking down a room full of city watch with different powers whilst making you look totally bad ass never gets old.

I very rarely play a game twice but i'm on my second play through going for the high chaos ending.My game of the year so far.

9/10

Nerf paper,scissors are fine as they are. - Rock.

• kinky_mong 22 Oct 2012 12:46:41 10,357 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    Agree with you guys on the ending although I liked the fact that the vault was empty and you had been played all along. But the final boss fight was just crap. It was almost like they ran out of time/money and it's a shame there is no real closure.all the characters are like oh ok then. Also they could have done ng+ for the game.
    There is a New Game Plus for Borderlands 1.

Agreed that the ending was bit naff in the first game but the Knoxx DLC made up for that.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• jabberwoky 23 Oct 2012 12:45:49 525 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Jim-Bob

I think it was my favourite resident evil. It had so much atmosphere, and took you into the history of RE.
  • King_Edward 23 Oct 2012 12:52:28 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Until recently it was least favourite Resi. Brought back all the crap that should've died with Raccoon city.
  • Progguitarist 23 Oct 2012 17:24:54 10,450 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nights into Dreams HD

A brilliant conversion of one of my all time favourite games. Still looks, sounds and plays amazingly well. Conceptually a very simple game but it is devilishly addictive if you are a high score fanatic.

An absolute must buy.

10/10
  • figaro7 24 Oct 2012 08:01:27 1,364 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sleeping Dogs

+Melee Combat system
    +Enjoyable Story
    +Likeable main character
    +Enjoyable Setting

-Some pop-in and slowdown
    -Side missions/activities are repetitive
    -Upgrade system feels basic and an afterthought and at times a slog

Sleeping dogs is a very enjoyable game throughout, it does a lot of things right but never pushes the envelope in the genre. Fortunately its one of the better open world games on the market.

7/10
  • Tomo 25 Oct 2012 02:00:07 13,929 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sleeping Dogs - 7.5/10

Good. Not fantastic, but good. It took me about 15 hours. Initially I was very easily distracted collecting boxes and fighting thugs in the street, but this eventually wore thin and I just decided to finish the story.

The story was decent. Predictable, but it chugged along and was entertaining enough to hold my attention. Wei was likeable which helped.

I think most of my criticisms are shared with others:
    + melee combat
    + driving felt nice
    + free running
    + excellent atmosphere

- repetitive missions and side missions really
    - gunplay was a bit by the numbers. The shooting mechanic was a little better than GTA, but it still consisted of shooting people behind cover and occasionally red barrels.
    - It was very linear really. You were constantly shepherded by waypoints on the missions. I'd have liked the free running especially to have been a bit more, well, free.
    - Lacking imagination. The foundations for a really excellent game were there, but the level design lacked the touch of class it needed to elevate it into classic territory.

I paid >20 for it, which is rare for me, and I feel I got my money's worth.
  • El_MUERkO 25 Oct 2012 02:10:39 17,050 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    i played the shooting parts more like a high score game, vaulting over stuff and stringing head-shots together to stay in slow-mo, made for some fun times :)
  • Deleted user 25 October 2012 22:31:13
    Resident Evil 6(360)

+Loved the start of Leons campaign, great atmosphere
    +Some of Adas campaign was brilliant and reminded me of the older(better) resi games
    +Nice to have a long storyline in a game that isn't an rpg
    +Some of the intersecting storylines bits were quite good

-Combat was shit
    -It looks pretty ugly
    -Far too many QTEs, there were about 50 in the prologue alone
    -The boss fights were horrendous and went on far too long with no indication if you were doing the right thing
    -Has to have the collection of the worst vehicle sections in videogame history

5/10
  • Stranded87 26 Oct 2012 18:27:00 909 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dishonored

Great mechanics and decent level design, but other than getting harder the gameplay doesn't really change much (I know there's a handful of different ways you can approach things, but they're much the same in every level and I unlocked at least level one of every skill I was interested in pretty quickly, so not much changed in that regard). Many of the levels seem aesthetically a bit samey, story is dross, graphics aren't great and I don't know about anyone else but personally I spent most of the time with that look-through-walls skill on, which just makes things look even worse.

Which all sounds quite negative, but despite that I did enjoy it a fair bit, just not as much as I'd thought I would.

8/10

Edited by Stranded87 at 18:27:35 26-10-2012
  • whatthefu 29 Oct 2012 00:38:32 871 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sleeping Dogs
    9/10

Loved it.
  • Gunzberg 29 Oct 2012 07:38:43 1,738 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Some quick ones:

Gears of War 3 10/10

No one paces a campaign better and I had a blast with the MP in Horde and Beast modes

Endless Ocean 2 8/10

This has over 100 hours of gameplay and was the perfect chill antidote between Gears sessions. Enjoyed it but the massive amount of collectibles and titles you can get prove pointless due to the Wii's lack of a proper gamertag to show off your achievements. Worth a purchase but let down by Nintendo's hardware and system design

Darksiders 2 8.5/10

40+ hours to complete it and the first batchof DLC
    -1.5 due to a few crashes, bugs and glitches and the fact that the Season Pass does not cover all the DlC! (very THQ typical). Also I seem to have a bug that stops me gaining experience after level 22. I.e. I can never get the reach lvl 30 achievement or get even higher level weapons. Edit - just read you can only advance between lvl 20 and 30 in NG+... The game itself is a good mix of platformer a la PoP, melee combat a la GoW and shooter. Could do with some more story instead of dungeon after dungeon.

Edited by Gunzberg at 08:11:57 29-10-2012

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• Deleted user 29 October 2012 08:24:27
    Uncharted: Drakes Fortune - 8/10

Just completed this after dying on the last boss a couple of times and leaving it to start Among Thieves. Great game.
  • PazJohnMitch 29 Oct 2012 08:55:28 8,144 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    XCOM (360)

Even though I did not play it on the Ironman setting I did not reload the game after failures and therefore had a number of veteran soldiers die. Having to adapt after these mistakes was what made this game great for me.

9/10
  • Rusty_M 29 Oct 2012 08:57:04 4,706 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Syberia

Quite touching at times, with brilliant yet charming puzzles. Story and characters are very good, but the scripting and voice acting are a hugely mixed bag. Most puzzles have a decent logical consistency. It's now showing its age quite a bit, but its perfectly playable. This game has some gorgeous art design.

7/10

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• dominalien 29 Oct 2012 09:02:21 6,978 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rusty_M

Ah, yes. I was thinking about it the other day as the snow started falling. A 7 is very appropriate, but it has a lot more charm than it would suggest.

Are you going to play the 2nd one?

PSN: DonOsito

• RabidChild 29 Oct 2012 09:03:01 2,292 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Escape Goat (XBLA Indie) - 7/10

Fun puzzle platform game, well worth the 80 space points.
  • Rusty_M 29 Oct 2012 10:13:50 4,706 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @dominalien

Already started it. I really did enjoy it, but I believe in scoring using the whole 1-10 scale. For me, 6 and over is a positive experience.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Page

of 414 First / Last