Recently Completed Games Page 295

• Page

of 412 First / Last

• dancingrob 8 Oct 2012 11:03:25 1,170 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Beyond Good & Evil HD (360)

played for the first time, so no nostalgia clouding things...

+ Jade is indeed an excellent character, and certainly one of the best female video game characters about
    + a decent story as well, simple, but effectively told
    + one button combat system suited the game very well
    + shooting things with a camera rather than a gun was a good change of pace
    + collectibles were fun, rather than annoying (possibly the first time I've ever said that about a game)

- the camera was exceptionally dodgy, making the stealth sections spectacularly frustrating difficulty spikes, entirely due to the camera
    - it wasn't always clear what I was supposed to be doing next, and whilst a Dead Space style blue line is overkill, a little more assistance with pathfinding would be useful (I had the same issue in Half Life 2, so I guess this might be one of the subtler advances this generation of games)
    - save points really aren't a good idea, particularly when the game crashed completely at least 4 or 5 times
    - final boss fight is awful, just an exercise in frustration, particularly as the last checkpoint means a bit more replaying than would be ideal

Glad I've played it, and I can see why it's a minor cult favourite, but it's not a game I have any desire to replay whatsoever. Suspect the sequel (if it ever arrives) will solve the technical issues that were my main problem with the game though.

3*
  • Zomoniac 8 Oct 2012 11:55:12 7,827 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LittleBigPlanet (Vita)

Well, finished the story, still loads more things to do. Wonderful lovely bouncy happy game, full of invention and wonder. Manages to perfectly shoehorn every one of Vita's ten million different input methods in without ever feeling forced or gimmicky, everything just works.

• Monsieur_Blade 8 Oct 2012 14:00:56 344 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dead Space 2 (Xbox 360)

I wasn't expecting to enjoy this as much as the original game but I actually think I enjoyed it even more! It was perhaps a little too action orientated towards the end but I still think it had a great balance of eary, lonely gameplay and high-paced action.

The original was great (And probably a little scarier) but I did find the zero gravity sections a little frustrating. I actually thought the 360 degree control in zero gravity in DS 2 was a massive improvement!

There were also some great set pieces and it felt just right in it's length - it took me just under 12 hours to complete it.

I'm actually really excited for Dead Space 3 now.... I just hope it doesn't go too far down the all-out action route like the previews have hinted at.

9/10
  • PazJohnMitch 10 Oct 2012 21:01:01 8,044 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Spec Ops: the Line (360)

Not as polished as other shooters but the choices really added to it. Sadly I had already had most spoiled before I played it.

Thought it was a solid game and I appreciated its attempts at something different.

8/10
  • jonsaan 14 Oct 2012 20:23:04 25,352 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rayman Origins. I wanted to love this game, and I really do love the look, music and controls....but...
    I have to say that I don't think it's a very good game really. Pretty much every level becomes a memory test. It's like a very beautiful modern day Dragon's lair at times. It's just not fun. VERY FRUSTRATING. Still. I finished it, which says something I suppose.

6/10 and massively overrated.

FCUTA!

• Kangoo 14 Oct 2012 21:48:31 1,016 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Singularity (PS3)

Thought I would go through a couple of games in my back log, wasn't expecting much but this really surprised me. Feels like an old school shooter with healthpacks, but once you get the TMD, it really picks up and there was definately a Half Life feel to the story.
    The story was a pretty good length. it's just a shame that by the last part you are too over powered and cam literaly just standout in the open going against the rest of the game.
    Definately one to pick up if you seeit cheap.

A strong 8/10.

PSN: Adwab2

• dancingrob 15 Oct 2012 10:59:47 1,170 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    RDR: Undead Nightmare

campy zombie fun for the most part, and the designers obviously just felt like throwing in a handful of zombie cliches to go with the western cliches from the main game. The music and atmosphere was again excellent, with the brooding mist particularly effective.

In terms of gameplay, a little too repetitive for my liking, with all missions essentially combat based, and solved simply by running away from zombies and hitting the dead-eye button at the right time, but overall an enjoyable 6-7 hours that didn't outstay it's welcome.

3*
  • Tomo 15 Oct 2012 11:30:49 13,910 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Super Mario Land 3D - 9/10

Really, really great. The level design is second to none. How Nintendo continue to conjure so many new excellent worlds is beyond me. Somehow though, I managed to complete it without realising there was a sprint button -_-. Now I've discovered it, it's come in very useful in the special worlds, which I'm actually going to tackle. Hell, I'm probably going to attempt to 100% this thing, which is out of character.
  • RyanDS 15 Oct 2012 12:31:28 9,356 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fifa on PS Vita

That is the one that came out yonks ago, not Fifa 13.

You can't really complete it, but as I have just finished my first career season this is a good arbitrary point to say it is complete.

I haven't really been into a Fifa since fifa 96 or so. I do get them every year or so (last years cheaper version) on the PS3 or 360, but I always play around for a few minutes, get bored and sell them on.

However this has really captivated me. I have been utterly addicted to career mode and trying to build my player up. The accomplishments are awesome to aim for and add an extra layer of fun.

It looks and plays gorgeous, and I honestly can't tell the difference between it and the TV Console versions I have played. Oh, and I LOVE the rear touchpad for shooting. Took a bit of getting used to, but now aiming for a part of the goal is second nature.

Picked it up for 12 from Cex a couple of weeks ago and haven't stopped playing since.

9/10

(Note this is a review from a casual Fifa player. I hear loads of quibbles from people who play the console versions about stuff like tactical defending, but I have no idea what that even is, and don't really care. What is in this game is enough confusing stuff for me to deal with.)
  • Ultrasoundwave 15 Oct 2012 12:59:33 3,300 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @RyanDS

If the Vita version has impressed you that much, i strongly urge you to try FIFA 13 on a 360/PS3......

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Raiko101 15 Oct 2012 15:20:33 6,304 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Super Mario Land 3D - 9/10

Really, really great. The level design is second to none. How Nintendo continue to conjure so many new excellent worlds is beyond me. Somehow though, I managed to complete it without realising there was a sprint button -_-. Now I've discovered it, it's come in very useful in the special worlds, which I'm actually going to tackle. Hell, I'm probably going to attempt to 100% this thing, which is out of character.
    A classic in my opinion. They should have focused on making a sequel to this one instead. DLC would be very much welcome.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 15 Oct 2012 15:24:36 6,654 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I loved 3D land up until the special worlds, I think their difficulty breaks the game for me.

There is too much of a lack of spacial awareness to enable the designers to pull off the later levels imo.
  • andywilkie35 15 Oct 2012 19:30:12 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ace Attorney - Miles Edgeworth Investigations (DS)

Played through on 3DS XL and looks lovely despite any stretching.

Immediately familiar to the three Phoenix Wright games except this time, investigations are in third person rather than first person. Overall though, it doesn't change the core gameplay much.

The logic function is a different way of piecing clues together and worked very well.

I would say that overall, it was easier than the Wright games but still quite tough and sometimes, can take several guesses before you realise why a piece of evidence works at some points.

Overall a very worthy edition to the series and clocked in at 25 hours, so a full length "Ace Attorney" game. Although it loses a mark due to trying to cause epilepsy with white flashing lights every so often - poor design choice!

8/10

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• develion 15 Oct 2012 19:49:57 3 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Wet (360)

I know the game has many flaws but I really enjoyed playing it. The action can be quick, look rather cool and for mindless violence, I love it!
  • LionheartDJH 15 Oct 2012 21:24:42 19,455 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Crysis: Warhead (PC)

Another enjoyable romp through the Ling Shan islands. Liked the change of pace from the first game with less stealthing around and more all out action, not that I prefer one over the other; just liked the variety. Aside from getting lost for a bit in the mines section can't say there was a dull moment. PAX + cover made the ending boss easier than the one in Crysis, but not complaining too much about that! Definitely a worthwhile expansion to the original.

9/10

She dives for cheese pasties

• Raiko101 16 Oct 2012 00:38:08 6,304 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    I loved 3D land up until the special worlds, I think their difficulty breaks the game for me.

There is too much of a lack of spacial awareness to enable the designers to pull off the later levels imo.
    I'm not entirely sure I follow. It's most likely me being an idiot though. What are you getting at?

• Tomo 16 Oct 2012 10:19:17 13,910 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm loving the special worlds at the moment. I thought they'd just be copies of the original levels in different hues, but they seem really different. It's made a fairly sizeable game into a beast!
  • Paulie_P 16 Oct 2012 11:01:59 415 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Portal Finally got round to replaying again after Portal 2. I'm still 50-50 between which one I prefer. I love the length of this game,it suits it better. Portal 2 at times felt stretched though Portal 2 has more funny moments.

10/10 (Obviously)
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 16 Oct 2012 11:42:36 6,654 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:

I'm not entirely sure I follow. It's most likely me being an idiot though. What are you getting at?
    I remember the last special world that spelled my ultimate doom from the game there was a section where you crossed a bridge with a ton of bill bullets to dodge within a variety of axis.

By 'spacial awareness' I meant the game expected you to be able to complete feats of dexterity without giving you the information needed to do them accurately.

Confused myself now, and it could very well be me being shit.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 16 Oct 2012 11:47:45 6,654 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    By 'information' I meant visual information provided by tools such as a dynamic camera, and a better thumb pad.
  • kinky_mong 16 Oct 2012 12:34:49 10,276 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    I'm loving the special worlds at the moment. I thought they'd just be copies of the original levels in different hues, but they seem really different. It's made a fairly sizeable game into a beast!

Don't worry, you'll get to those soon.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Cadence 16 Oct 2012 13:15:40 1,687 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah the first few levels you think they're pretty different, but a lot of the later ones are just the same, but with evil mario chasing you through them, which obviously makes them quite a bit harder! Some of those levels are a bitch.
  • santashi 16 Oct 2012 13:18:06 5,136 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I hated that evil Mario. His laugh is seriously annoying.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• Deleted user 16 October 2012 13:22:43
    Finished Read Dead Redemption(advance aim method used) the other day and found the whole thing badly structured for a story based game in an open world sandbox, and had a pretty weak and uninteresting story that didn't inspire me to explore in the game world outside of the main story.
    The inability to cross water(swim/horse ride) was probably the point I thought about abandoning the game.

Technically it has a lot of other great touches for playability, particularly in terms of user control, for things like the hog tying. The physics in the game however seem quite low grade and canned, and the aim controls seemed poor(even after adjustment), the choice is either assisted aim(too easy), terrible controls, or bullet time slow mo and hit everything perfect with zero skill again.

Maybe I'm being a little too critical, as I've was half way through mg4 again when I started RDR(after sleeping dogs), and have since started mg4 again now with trophies(and running from SSD) after finishing the game, so contrast feels very stark.

RDR was probably worthy of my time to play, even if it was teeth pulling to get all the way through to the credits, so probably 6/10 for me. But I could easily see where western fans (like me with scifi) would rate it so much higher if using the assisted aim controls.
  • figaro7 18 Oct 2012 23:45:47 1,363 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Darksiders 2

Darksiders 2 comes across as better than the sum of its parts. Being a mix of various genres, while it doesnt excel at any it is very competent in the ones it tackles.

What i didnt enjoy was the game was taking the piss with its collect 3x collectathon, this was even more noticable if you stuck to the story path throughout... which i did.

Also, the story didnt really evolve, the introduction layed the path and death just went on his way doing what he had to do to get there, unfortunately this involved the 3x cycle from above.

What i did enjoy was the landscape, the wonderful infusion of a fantasy world, the combat, deaths acrobatics and the basic skills/magic system that was in place. The zelda esque dungeons were quite good too, some quite long, most of them barring the last dungeon requiring some 3x thing as well....

The loot system was an interesting one, if i found something, i looked at the stats and equiped if it was better than my current equipment, not really stuffing around much in the menu at all barring a few purchases from stores. It was a slight distraction that artificially prolonged the game i thought and wasnt totally necessary. Although i did enjoy picking up some new fancy secondary weapon and letting it rip.

The music was very pleasing as well as was deaths character in general, for a being that didnt have any facial expressions, their was quite a bit of personality.

Like i said, darksiders 2 is better than the sum of its parts, some may cringe at the objective based progression it throws at you, but entirely possible to enjoy it for what it is.

8/10
  • richardiox 19 Oct 2012 00:16:25 5,596 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    Finished Read Dead Redemption(advance aim method used) the other day and found the whole thing badly structured for a story based game in an open world sandbox, and had a pretty weak and uninteresting story that didn't inspire me to explore in the game world outside of the main story.
    The inability to cross water(swim/horse ride) was probably the point I thought about abandoning the game.

Technically it has a lot of other great touches for playability, particularly in terms of user control, for things like the hog tying. The physics in the game however seem quite low grade and canned, and the aim controls seemed poor(even after adjustment), the choice is either assisted aim(too easy), terrible controls, or bullet time slow mo and hit everything perfect with zero skill again.

Maybe I'm being a little too critical, as I've was half way through mg4 again when I started RDR(after sleeping dogs), and have since started mg4 again now with trophies(and running from SSD) after finishing the game, so contrast feels very stark.

RDR was probably worthy of my time to play, even if it was teeth pulling to get all the way through to the credits, so probably 6/10 for me. But I could easily see where western fans (like me with scifi) would rate it so much higher if using the assisted aim controls.
    Did you play the 1152x640 PS3 version?

"If god created a console..."
  • Raiko101 19 Oct 2012 04:22:00 6,304 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Splinter Cell Conviction

I've not played Splinter Cell since Chaos Theory, which is one of my favourite PS2 games. So good that I couldn't go back to play the first two anymore. It's nice to see the series given a bit of a twist, but it's also a little disappointing to see that this game feels more like an action movie, rather than a spy novel.

The controls are a little confusing, even though the execution system is very satisfying. The levels aren't as enjoyable or as memorable as in Chaos Theory. The AI can be a little cheap at times too.

However, having said all that. It's still a pretty good game. Worth picking up if you're a fan of the series and have some friends to play through co-op with as well. Looking forward to seeing what the next game does.

7/10

• King_Edward 19 Oct 2012 07:39:41 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I loved Conviction. Was never the biggest fan of the older games as I thought they took too much getting into. Probably my favorite tacked on co-op ever.
  • King_Edward 20 Oct 2012 15:33:07 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Borderlands 2

Better in pretty much every way than the first game, with a story that this time is easier and more worthwhile to follow, without being any more intrusive on the shooty-blam-blam. Some areas spawn in enemy waves a little too fast for a little too long, but it's basically all good.

9/10

Silent Hill (psone)

Still creepy, and loaded with atmosphere, with some good puzzles and an excellent balance between riddling, running and combat (lots of the former, little of the latter). Suffers from its age though, with a wonky camera and a pretty dumb, poorly voiced story.

7/10
  • Page

of 412 First / Last