Recently Completed Games Page 294

• Page

of 406 First / Last

• senso-ji 27 Sep 2012 23:44:13 5,800 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Witcher 2 - Xbox 360

Absolutely superb. One of the best RPG's I've played, and certainly one which does the 'dark fantasy' genre justice. Great variety of puzzles and quests, tough but rewarding combat, engaging (if slightly convoluted) story and excellent voice acting. Graphics were great on the xbox but I now want to buy a gaming PC and play through the whole thing again in full 1080p at 60fps.

Only thing that let it down were a few game breaking bugs, some input lag and texture popping.

9/10
  • Rose-of-Sorrow 28 Sep 2012 03:30:30 492 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Jak II (PS3 Collection)

+ Challenging, fun gameplay: solid platforming, good missions
    + Fairly lengthy for a platformer and never gets boring: has that 'Naughty Dog magic'
    + Daxter
    + Good story

- Can be frustrating in places
    - Shooting not as solid as it could be: say compared to R&C
    - Over-crowded city sometimes makes driving annoying
    - No particular need to use 'Dark Jak.' In fact I used it just once in the entire game

8/10

Edited by Rose-of-Sorrow at 11:13:29 28-09-2012
  • YenooR 29 Sep 2012 10:15:00 529 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Batman Arkham City.
    It took a while for me to get into it but in the end I loved it.The story was great and the combat is brillant.
    It's the best game I've played in the last year and will probably go on and platinum it.
    10/10
  • Afiddes 29 Sep 2012 19:41:17 1,164 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Little big planet vita

I understand that completing the story levels is only a small part of lbp but I doubt I will post on here if I include create mode. The main story missions are a lot of fun and although may seem a little easy once you start trying to ace the level the challenge ramps up and the slightest miscalculation in timing causes you to have to re start a mission. The side missions are a fun off shoot though some can be mighty frustrating (though all completable) then there are the arcade games which are the high and low point of the game. Some are real gems that I really enjoyed but others I found to be nothing more then annoyances (anyone who thinks the controls should make a game difficult really doesn't get games)

8/10

Edited by Afiddes at 19:41:31 29-09-2012

3DS: 5198 2465 6450

• PazJohnMitch 29 Sep 2012 22:45:09 7,830 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Also finished LBPv today.

I am generally pretty mean on the score front but I loved every second of this and think it deserves:

9/10
  • Gunzberg 29 Sep 2012 23:07:37 1,731 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Saints' Row 3 DLC Packs

Genki Bowl 7: 6/10 same style as the main game, 2 new mission types which are fun and 1 which sucks. Happy I bought it together with the DLC on a steam sale

Gansters in Space: good fun! 7/10

Trouble with Clones: Great, same humour as the main game and it just keeps on going over the top just when you think it couldn't. Best of the 3 DLCs. 8/10

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• TechnoHippy 30 Sep 2012 16:39:23 14,698 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dogfight 1942

Quite good fun. You even get to fly the Meteor, but unfortunately it ends all too quickly. The missions themselves are also pretty short.

6/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Afiddes 30 Sep 2012 16:43:11 1,164 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch it would have been a 9 for me but did you play orb it? It was so pointless and using the rear touch pad annoyed me (it wasn't difficult but I found it pointless) so it lost 1 mark

• Gunzberg 30 Sep 2012 16:47:02 1,731 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Red Steel 2 on Wii

8/10

Never played the first. This was great fun, nice art direction, levels get better and better as you go in. The whole Samurai meets Wild West theme was fantastic and should definitely be explored further. Motion controls and different combos work well as well as the upgrade system.

Only negative was that it crashed on me once but due to the autosave I lost minimal progress.

Frankly, totally worth it if you own a Wii. And I got a new copy cheap with the Wii Motion Plus add-on (comes as a bundle)

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• PazJohnMitch 30 Sep 2012 18:04:03 7,830 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Afiddes

Only really played the story and a few community levels. (100% on story now).

Is that an arcade level? I am yet to try those.
  • Afiddes 30 Sep 2012 18:39:10 1,164 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch yeah on arcade some are great others seem like poor attempts to try to include the full vita feature set

• SaucyGeoff 1 Oct 2012 11:05:25 2,560 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Assassins Creed II - 360

I loved it. After playing the 1st one last year, this was a much better game than I expected. All the changes they made seemed to pay off, although it could have done with a harder difficulty setting, even with my modest talents, I don't think I died once (suicide dives off buildings excepted). I found myself sucked in to the locations and playing in Italien with English sub titles was ace.

9/10

Can anyone shed any light on whether Brotherhood or Revelations advance the story at all, or can I just look forward to 3 next month.
  • dancingrob 1 Oct 2012 11:11:39 1,156 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    LA Noire

Best described as a failed experiment. Lots of good ideas, and interesting use of tech, but it just didn't hang together particularly well, primarily because (as is often the case) it was far too long, with one desk in particular (homicide) being ludicrously repetitive.

I played through very slowly, (one case per night) which seemed to work quite well, as it was a slow paced game, and forcing it to go more quickly wouldn't have benefitted anyone really.

The story seemed a mix of the usual film noir tropes, but wasn't told particularly well, with story elements entering / disappearing seemingly at random, with little use of foreshadowing and the other techniques needed to really pull something like that off.

There were also oddities, such as Phelps changing cars in cut scenes and the like that jarred slightly, and dispensed with much of the atmosphere that had built up. A necessity of the design with the game moving on even after failure also felt a little odd, and the game could perhaps have been improved by some sort of punishment for failure mechanism being in place (banished back to solve 2 street crimes before progressing or similar perhaps)

As usual with these things, tighter design would have helped, and there was probably a good 10-15 hour game hidden in there (ironically, two of the DLC cases were amongst my favourites), but the concept was just stretched too far really.

Good sound design though, one of the best I've heard for a while.

2*

Rock Band Blitz

Played nearly 200 songs and gold starred quite a few of them, so I suppose it's 'complete' although I'll still keep playing for a while.

The fundamental problem is that compared to the main games, it just doesn't feel like you're playing music, and as I'm missing that 'must chase high scores' gene, the replay value of repeatedly playing the same few tracks just isn't there (I'll still keep trying to gold star the 25 that come with the game for achievement purposes though, so work that one out!)

All in all, nowhere near as good as RB proper, and without the hefty DLC library I already owned, it would have been a very disappointing game. Not a big fan of most of the tracks included with the game either, so even as a 'track pack' for RB proper, it's a little hit & miss.

The best use for it is almost as a juke box with activity, as you an put on some favourite songs, and just play along without worrying about scores too much, but the lack of a 'set playlist' option means even this doesn't work quite as smoothly as you might hope.

2*

Bejeweled 3 (360)

first time I've ever played Bejeweled on a console and it works very well. The new modes are all interesting (the mining one being my favourite) and well worth the 400MSP I picked it up for in the sale the other week. I'd probably have felt a little short changed at full price, but a bargain at the lower cost.

4*
  • PazJohnMitch 1 Oct 2012 11:27:55 7,830 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @SaucyGeoff

I think both move the story forward slightly. I thought Brotherhood was even better than 2. I gave up on Revelations near the beginning though. (Guess I should YouTube the story of that before the third).
  • PazJohnMitch 1 Oct 2012 11:28:15 7,830 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 1 October 2012 11:34:51
    fixed
  • Bremenacht 1 Oct 2012 12:44:16 17,613 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SaucyGeoff wrote:
    Assassins Creed II - 360
    Can anyone shed any light on whether Brotherhood or Revelations advance the story at all, or can I just look forward to 3 next month.
    Brotherhood adds something of a strategic element, but it serves no useful purpose, which is a shame as I thought it was a good idea. It's a little bit 'more of the same', so if you don't mind that it's worth playing. Ezio and his story is still charming.

Revelations has some more experimental gameplay but it's not great. Ezio is reduced to a blank personality. The story is just filler and they even drag Altair back as filler. The only 'revelation' you really get is the one at the end: The story continues! Buy the next game!.

Avoid. Unless you're really desperate for an AC fix.
  • SaucyGeoff 1 Oct 2012 16:23:53 2,560 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cheers chaps!

Might give brotherhood a bash. Can't really lose for 5 on Amazon.
  • coomber 2 Oct 2012 19:19:59 324 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Angry Birds

Finally gave in to the hype and can see it was actually well deserved.

Fantastic time-waster for the train, incredibly simple but addictive. Only gripe is that the controls were unresponsive when you had to drop bombs accurately but other than that it's a cracker.

9/10
  • Raiko101 2 Oct 2012 22:19:12 6,087 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Edit - Just shortened the following review.

de Blob 2- Xbox 360

The camera is possibly the worst i've ever experienced. I don't think it was any better in the original, but the level design is more compact and taller than in the original, and it makes movement more challenging than it needs to be.

It's like having an annoying friend sitting next to you, fighting you for control of the game every 5 minutes. It literally fights you for control when you're trying to look ahead. It is the sole reason I ever died in this game and it makes things more challenging than they should be. I did play through to the end of this game, but it becomes more frustrating to play through as you progress.

On the plus side, the music and the visuals are great and the animations and cut-scenes are brilliant. And it's still satisfying to colour an entire level, if you have the patience.

5/10

I don't recommend this to anyone, but I would still recommend the original to anybody with a Wii!

Edited by Raiko101 at 22:29:28 02-10-2012

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• jonsaan 4 Oct 2012 21:51:06 25,326 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lego Batman 2 100% complete, yet strangely it is witholding some of the level trophies from me ..

The best Lego game since Complete saga.

8/10

Edited by jonsaan at 21:52:29 04-10-2012

FCUTA!

• TurboBailey 4 Oct 2012 22:19:35 686 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Max Payne 3 (PC)

I'm really on the fence with this game. Act 1 and 3 are brilliant, act 2 is terrible. The gameplay very repetitive and only ever really changes towards the end. Graphics are fab, some of the levels (UFE Police station) are brilliant.

Graphics are quite amazing at times, but then the annoying cut scenes and "onscreen noise" and flickers just ruin it all. Some character are fab, others are dull and irritating.

Its an odd one. Great game, and terrible game rolled into one!

6/10 (glad I only paid 15 for it in the steam summer sale)

Batman Arkham City (PC)

Bought this last year only just got around to playing it. Really enjoyed it. great game. Amazing graphics and physx. Truly immersive world. World class acting and voice acting. You can understand why it won a BAFTA.

9/10

Edited by TurboBailey at 22:23:33 04-10-2012
  • Rens11 5 Oct 2012 16:57:01 1,389 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Vanquish

bored to tears by Gears 3 (after completing the first 2) was not expecting much from Vanquish. How wrong I was, every fight is exciting, decent weapons, varied and challenging enemies short at 5 hours but definitely quality over quantity and the best 3rd person shooter I've ever played

9/10

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• Raiko101 6 Oct 2012 14:05:01 6,087 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    For the second time: Red Dead Redemption

Not that I needed an excuse, but I accidentally saved over my 100% complete file days after achieving it, a couple of years ago. About a month ago I set out to get it again, and while i'm not quite there yet, i've at least completed all the story missions again.

What can I say. Aside from the story, which does drag somewhat, before you arrive into Mexico, it's an amazing game. The open world is the most interesting and most involving i've ever experienced. The graphics are still stunning. The music is absolutely beautiful. The ending is just the icing on a stunning game. That very last mission is, oh so satisfying, too.

This isn't just my favourite game of the generation. It's easily in my top 3 of all time. Just beautiful.

10/10

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Rose-of-Sorrow 6 Oct 2012 14:14:46 492 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Journey (PS3)

+ Beautiful and artistic in every way
    + Evocative
    + Wonderful story-telling
    + Co-op is breathtaking and actually made me smile while playing
    + One of the games of the generation

Edited by Rose-of-Sorrow at 14:14:58 06-10-2012
  • Gaol 6 Oct 2012 15:37:47 2,263 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Zelda Skyward Sword.

Superb dungeons, motion controls and presentation. A little too much padding and the sky world is a bit empty. Still magic though.

9/10
  • terminalterror 6 Oct 2012 16:27:14 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    andywilkie35 wrote:
    Rock Band Blitz (360)

Got the achievement for playing 150 unique songs so feel like now is as good a time as any to review as that's a serious amount of hours!

Bought every edition of Rock Band on day 1 so with those imported and of course copious amounts of DLC, I have a huge library of songs to choose from. I mention this because having the library is absolutely essential for the game as the 25 songs supplied range from "good" to "fucking dreadful".

However, assuming you have access to a lot of songs, this game is incredible. Addictive, particularly when trying to beat friends scores using different combinations of power ups and has one of the best soundtracks to a game (obviously)

Easily the best download game in my opinion, even surpasses the almighty Trials Evolution for me.

10/10
    I haven't played Blitz that much yet (still to play all 25 of the bundled songs), but I do have a decent collection of Rock Band tracks (exports from RB1, RB2 and Lego RB as well as maybe 100 or so DLC songs). I also went a little crazy recently with all the pre-RB3 DLC songs being half price.

My main criticism of Rock Band Blitz is that it ditched one of the improvements that made Rock Band 3 so amazing: song rating.

My favourite way to play Rock Band 3 was just to let it randomly choose songs for me. It had a brilliant system where songs I'd rated 5 lighters were more likely to come up, all the way down to songs I'd rated 1 lighter not coming up at all. Genius, and I really miss that in Rock Band Blitz, unless I've completely failed to notice it in the menus.
  • SolidSCB 6 Oct 2012 19:59:54 6,410 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Resident Evil 6

I'll evaluate each campaign in the order I did them.

Leon's campaign - Once I came to terms with the awful melee combat, 12 QTE's per minute and fiddly controls, I really did get into this campaign. Shooting crowds of bog standard zombies is always a hoot, and I feel they were implemented quite well. Some really over-the-top boss fights and set pieces were also pretty fun. 7/10

Chris' campaign - Truly god-awful. This pretty much embodied everything I hate about where Resident Evil is being taken. The cover system was quite honestly the worst I've ever experienced in a video game and the infected running around with machine guns, rocket launchers, tanks, helicopters and fucking harrier jets removed any sense of horror the game was clinging to. Add to that the storyline, which included the most short-lived amnesiac angle ever, and Chris being an annoying asshole the entire way through. It did recoup a bit at the end, and I'll definitely play through again as Piers for one of the stand-out sections of the game. 3/10

Jake's campaign - Pretty much as above, the majority of enemies are the awful J'avo, but the Ustunak adds another dynamic. You can see they were trying to recapture the Nemesis magic, but it falls really flat as most of the time you're either running towards the screen or performing yet another QTE. That said, I really enjoyed the end sequence and I'm still not convinced we won't see Ustunak back in RE7. The motherfucker just won't die. Props to the character development in this campaign though, I did enjoy the Jake and Sherry partnership. 6/10

Ada's campaign - The best of the lot. Some really good stuff here with some old-school RE puzzle solving and it ties together the rest of the story nicely enough. Doesn't outstay it's welcome. The stealth sections were a bit hit and miss though. 8/10

Not a terrible game, but not a very good one. The overlapping story arcs had some real potential, but ultimately come to nothing as the story meanders along towards no real outcome other than "We stopped this one attack, next". There was so much stuff hinted at, but absolutely nothing of interest was revealed in the end and all of the antagonists felt throwaway. Some real work to be done if this series is to turn itself back into a real top-tier one.

6/10

Edited by SolidSCB at 20:00:29 06-10-2012
  • Mikeeeboy1 6 Oct 2012 23:31:49 167 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @SolidSCB
    Nice review.
    You should do it for a living
  • Rens11 6 Oct 2012 23:56:37 1,389 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rose-of-Sorrow wrote:
    Journey (PS3)

+ Beautiful and artistic in every way
    + Evocative
    + Wonderful story-telling
    + Co-op is breathtaking and actually made me smile while playing
    + One of the games of the generation

hopefully makes it way as a freebie on PS+ soon!

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• Page

of 406 First / Last