Recently Completed Games Page 534

• Page

of 535 First / Last

• GrandpaUlrira 4 Feb 2018 19:43:46 3,797 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Metroid: Samus Returns

The first few hours felt very ordinary. The graphics are atmospheric, albeit not on a par with the SNES and GBA entries. The music is adequate, but a retread of what has come before. It was a 6 to 7 out of 10 all the way.

However, once you start getting to around the 25-30% mark, and have more abilities, it begins to click. The counter ability doesn't feel like such a nuisance, and you have to think about how to use your abilities, albeit not as much as ideal. There are some definite high points, especially a particular boss that is foreshadowed in a few scenes which really gets the blood pumping. After that high point, the game settles in for a predictable ending, but overall it was well made, slotting in closer to the GBA entries than towards the Other M end of the scale.

Clearing up the remaining secrets for 100% felt a bit too much like ticking off a list rather than anything challenging or interesting. This might be because the scan ability you receive early in the game is over-powered, when a scan mechanic more like the Prime games would have been more appropriate.

An easy recommendation for 2D Metroid fans, as well as anyone looking for a fun platformer that will last you around 15 hours.

8/10
  • Rufus 4 Feb 2018 21:16:26 1,830 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Axiom Verge - Switch

Really enjoyed it, but for me at least, it's the first game to show the joycons in a bad light. Some abilities you get later on really need a good dpad to use effectively. Got through it ok in the end though (played in handheld mode).

The level design, art style and sound effects are all great. Not quite Super Metroid great, but considering this is the work of one man, and someone who clearly knew what he was doing, this is definitely up there. The music is ok, aside from one awful track that plays in one of the later areas (the one with the weird vocal - ironically the one that got stuck in my head when away from the game). Also, it's guilty of having a really frustrating area just before a ridiculously easy end boss. Took some of the satisfaction away when I finished it.

It was the 'Multiverse' edition I bought, so I'll be sure to check out the accompanying documentary and interview with Tom Happ.
  • ModoX 4 Feb 2018 21:20:51 3,089 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Observer - 6/10

The realisation of the cyberpunk world is nicely done, and it hits a few highs during its runtime, but there are many frustrations with it:

- Bugs, seems very glitchy and we ran into quite a few issues

- Abstract 'mindjack' sequences are often quite effective, but they're also always twice as long as they need to be so they begin to lose their impact

- Puzzle and especially stealth sections are too frequent, frustrating, and needless, it's sticking 'gameplay' in for no reason at all

Story and characters were cool, but nothing overly exciting, so while there's a decent experience in there somewhere, it's seriously hampered by some of the design decisions.
  • ardamillo 5 Feb 2018 07:55:55 606 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Persona 5 (PS4)

I can't believe I finally finished it.

Started in November, have been playing almost daily ever since, 105 hours in all. It annoyed me quite often but became part of my life. I started it out of curiosity, having never played a Persona game, and I'm not sure I'll ever play another one, but I'm glad I finished this one. At least now I can play something less insane for someone with my limited free time.
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Feb 2018 13:45:42 21,234 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dark Souls 3 (PC)

I played through this fully, only skipping the 2nd half of the Ringed City DLC because it's completely wank.
    The other DLC was good and the normal game is stellar, also looks gorgeous.

10/10
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Feb 2018 13:46:21 21,234 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ardamillo wrote:
    Persona 5 (PS4)

I can't believe I finally finished it.

Started in November, have been playing almost daily ever since, 105 hours in all. It annoyed me quite often but became part of my life. I started it out of curiosity, having never played a Persona game, and I'm not sure I'll ever play another one, but I'm glad I finished this one. At least now I can play something less insane for someone with my limited free time.
    Tempted to buy this at half price just now but 100 hours again is a bit much :(
  • THFourteen 6 Feb 2018 19:02:21 47,312 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2. 105+ hours.

I know its not for everyone but i loved every minute of it, faults and all. Epic storyline and loved all the characters even the stupid ones. Thought the voice acting was spot on (perhaps tongue in cheek but still worked for me)!

Was compelled to play this every day over the last 6 weeks which says something as it averages about 2.5hours a day, that's a shitload of gaming time for me.

10/10 YMMV

Struggling to decide what to play next, nothing seems to really live up to it.
  • Stuz359 6 Feb 2018 21:35:41 86 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Batman The Telltale Series

It was okay, typical telltale fare, but the story, which is the main meat of the game, wasn't really up to much, which is a disappointment because I've enjoyed previous telltale games. Still, I do enjoy Batman, 6/10

Until Dawn

Sort of enjoyed it. The concept is pretty cool, the voice acting and no cap is of a high standard and the production values are of a high standard throughout.
    My problem with it, is that I fucking hate teen horror movies. I pretty much wanted every character to die. I see potential in this kind of storytelling and it was definitely done better than heavy rain or beyond. However, I still feel naughty dog have done way better in terms of story with some actual gameplay thrown in with uncharted and the last of us and the even the old lucasarts adventure games did it better. 7/10
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 6 Feb 2018 22:59:37 2,593 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (first chapter) - 8/10

It's a big, fuzzy JRPG comfort blanket. A moderately low-stakes adventure with assorted hijinks along the way. A couple of minor niggles:

- Combat gets a little tiresome in the later stages.

- The Zeiss section kinda sucks, with some really backtracky sidequests.

But on the whole, really enjoyed it as a Sunday afternoon backburner game. Will move onto SC next.
  • Nitrous 7 Feb 2018 07:10:23 1,603 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Titanfall 2 (PS4)

Only played it for the campaign and with it being so short it didn't outstay it's welcome. Makes me want a new mech game now.
  • DUFFMAN5 7 Feb 2018 07:43:49 22,420 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Watchdogs on xb1
    Really enjoyed, played and completed a couple of years ago on ps4. The gold edition was very cheap so decided to rebuy for the Bad Blood expansion, which I started last night.
    Love both WD games.

Edit: the online/hacking in the games is brilliant.

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 07:44:42 07-02-2018
  • supermichael26 7 Feb 2018 16:38:19 17 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Quantum Break Xbox One

Interesting concept with playing through an act then facing a choice which is then followed by the next episode of the TV show.

Fairly easy 1000g if you keep your eye out for the collectables

last boss was cheap though and very out of place shame.

3.5 out of 5
  • GarlVinland 7 Feb 2018 16:49:52 2,666 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Nitrous every time this game gets mentioned I feel guilty for not playing it more. Logged dozens of hours in multiplayer but stopped playing when it became more difficult to find a game. It's still the apex of FPS games for me and absolutely embarrasses Destiny 2 Crucible. And it's bolted to the finest campaign I've played in a generation.

I have a feeling Titanfall 3 will get ruined by EA so I'm worried we may not see the franchise reach these heights again.
  • Stranded87 7 Feb 2018 21:29:59 1,735 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Divinity OS 2

Really, really, really good, but not sure I can ever be bothered to play anything that long again.

10/10
  • ModoX 8 Feb 2018 12:27:20 3,089 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Life is Strange (The Original) - 8/10

This is the second time I've played it through, I started it over after recently completing Before the Storm. On reflection I definitely (Chloe voice acting aside) prefer the prequel. It blows my mind, it's an unwanted prequel by a different dev that seemed sure to be a cheap cash in. I still love the original, but I prefer Chloe in the prequel, and love Rachel more than any other character in either game.

Also Warren is so lame.
  • Bichii 8 Feb 2018 12:44:41 381 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @DUFFMAN5 have u played wd2?
  • DUFFMAN5 8 Feb 2018 12:48:46 22,420 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Bichii
    Yes and completed on ps4. Loved it, apart from a couple of missions towards the end.
  • Bichii 8 Feb 2018 12:51:06 381 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @DUFFMAN5 so it gets the Duff recommended award?
  • DUFFMAN5 8 Feb 2018 12:54:57 22,420 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    @DUFFMAN5 so it gets the Duff recommended award?
    It gets several thrusts ;)
    I still have it, we could coop the online...alas you removed me many moons ago from your chums list. Is your PSN still the same, you are still "pending" my offer of frienship, sent ages ago.
  • Bichii 8 Feb 2018 12:57:48 381 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Tichi?

I'll let you know if I get it. I never knew we were psn friends, I thought only Xbox friends?
  • DUFFMAN5 8 Feb 2018 13:07:57 22,420 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Bichii
    That is the psn tag I have for you,as I say you have not added me though.
    We were Xbox buddies a few years back but during one of your reinventions ;) you kicked me. We may have played one game togther I can't remember.

You need to join some of us for RDR2 shenanigans later in the year.
    :)
  • Bichii 8 Feb 2018 13:08:51 381 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @DUFFMAN5 we played gears 3 together.
  • uiruki 11 Feb 2018 15:20:16 4,447 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    2) Nioh - PC - 5/5

Does what Toukiden did and made a game that I'd repeatedly bounced off - in this case Demon's Souls - and made it fun. The mission structure and the faster/higher damage combat is what made it for me. A friend explained the appeal as them making it so just pressing buttons is fun, and I think that's it. I really appreciated the stances and some of the movesets really clicked. Seeing all those Sengoku characters with new designs and voices was great too.
  • Malek86 11 Feb 2018 21:05:38 6,721 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dark Souls 3 (PC)

The last one. It kinda feels like the greatest hits edition, but performed by a cover band (which is weird, because this one was made by Miyazaki). The new larger areas tend to be dispersive and often employ annoying gimmicks. Despite the areas being bigger, the game itself is fairly linear, so exploration doesn't feel as rewarding.

Lore-wise, I don't see much of a connection between all the things that happen. It reminds me of DS2, where you chanced upon new bosses and locations almost at random. But in here, it feels more like the plot was weaved together specifically so they could have a bunch of DS1 references.

Bosses are also a mixed bag. Some are fun, but most of them gained anti-rolling moves that make life hell for pure melee builds. All it does, however, is make the battles last longer and turn the player's tension to irritation. On the plus side, boss runs seem to be much easier this time around.

It's still Souls and it still generally works, so I had my fun with it, but unlike with the previous two games, I really don't feel like starting NG+ immediately. That's a bad sign.

7/10
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Feb 2018 00:25:08 5,614 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Valiant Hearts: The Great War

Cartoony World War One adventure game with very lightweight puzzle solving. Among the pictures in speech bubble dialogue, unlikely pulley based puzzles, a Dr Robonik type villain and presence of a super dog sidekick man does this hit right in the feelings.

At its best when it lets the gameplay take a backseat to the storytelling and the sense of powerlessness and lack of agency any of the characters have despite all you do to save those around you.

9.5/10

Edited by simpleexplodingmaybe at 00:26:28 12-02-2018
  • jferson 12 Feb 2018 09:44:34 11 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    I just finished playing the Dead Space 3. 8.5/10.
  • MadCaddy13 12 Feb 2018 12:24:46 2,754 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sniper Elite 4 (PS4)

Very much enjoyed this one, I do love how you can instantly restart if you get spotted. Yes it lessens the reality of it but what’s the alternative? Run around and get to a dark place and hide for 5 mins?
    It’s very unforgiving if you do get caught and end up in a fire fight - youre dead pretty much straight away.
    Also done the Furer DLC which is good if not a little bit short.

8/10

Now onto the Death storm DLC!
  • DrStrangelove 12 Feb 2018 18:05:35 11,984 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Witcher 3 DLCs.

Really liked Hearts of Stone. Very little action, and at times a little tedious, but this time I won't complain too much because the story is pretty good, also some good fun mixing up a wedding party.

Blood and Wine was rather boring though, and new (far more mobile) enemies and mass battles made combat even more broken and chaotic than in the main game.

Main game - 7/10
    Hearts of Stone - 8/10
    Blood and Wine - 7/10
  • UncleLou Moderator 13 Feb 2018 08:38:58 39,180 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ratchet & Clank (PS4) - 6/10. Gorgeous graphics (though I don't like the character design), but more miss than hit humour, and it very rarely is as much fun to actually play as you think it is if you just watch it. Some mechanics are downright awful (hoverboard races), others are ok but annoying after a while (doorlock puzzles), but mostly it plays ok.

Still a 6/10 because I never quite got over the wonder of playing a cartoon of this quality.

Uncharted: Lost Legacy - 8/10. Probably the most lively, authentic feeling characters in the history of videogames. The voice actor of Chloe in particular does an amazing job, helped by a brilliant script, of course.

Sadly, they have lost their mojo a bit when it comes to difficulty design. Too much reliance on grenade spam and similarly annoying AI "tactics" on "hard".

Edited by UncleLou at 08:45:29 13-02-2018
  • Bichii 13 Feb 2018 08:42:47 381 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Shadow of the Colossus.

Good stuff, dated now though.

• Page

of 535 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.