Recently Completed Games Page 533

• Page

of 535 First / Last

• lordofdeadside 30 Jan 2018 07:29:16 1,303 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Asassinís Creed Origins

Really enjoyed it, looks fantastic on the X, lots of variety and a likeable set of characters. There are some decent side quests too if you can find them among the filler.

It is too big though, too many dull quests, too much animal killing and just too many outposts to be bothered with. Some of the regions were incredible and spreading out a smaller set of the best points would have been much better.

I was also disappointed with how little future/present day stuff there was, I really liked that aspect of AC and itís dialled down to the point of non-existence here.

Probably still the best in the series though.

8/10
  • DrStrangelove 31 Jan 2018 21:04:39 11,984 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Witcher 3 (main game, without DLC)

Really not sure what to make of this game. Really loved parts of it, really hated others. I can't recall ever seeing amazing and terrible so close together, not even in Mass Effect 3. But I'll admit my early impression thrashing was a little premature, it definitely grew on me and I learned to appreciate it for what it does well.

7/10

Edited by DrStrangelove at 17:22:38 02-02-2018
  • Zomoniac 2 Feb 2018 19:08:39 9,546 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Assassinís Creed Oranges (XO)

My first AC since 4 so a long enough break, though very little hs changed for the better. Sneaking around is still fun, and itís a really great setting, but there is such a long list of things I donít like.

Itís wayyy too long. Black Flag dragged a 10 hour game into a 25 one with all the padding. This goes a whole new level by adding the RPG bollocks that means for every main mission you have to do around 6-8 side quests to be able to progress. Consequently youíve got a 10 hour game now running at nearer to 40.

The map is impressively big, but needlessly so. This isnít a Zelda style big world but with something new and interesting behind every corner, itís a bunch of towns connected by endless swathes of nothing. The follow road mechanic goes some way to helping but my horsecamel FF creature got lost repeatedly.

The new combat feels like a step down too. Yes the simplified Arkham combat was a bit basic, but the new one feels slow and clunky and doesnít suit when youíre being attacked from all sides, it only feels like it works one on one.

The modern day stuff is as pointless as it ever was. Thereís hardly any in here, maybe four sections, each lasting five minutes tops, in the whole game, but theyíre immersion breaking and add nothing so why not just ditch the whole thing.

The story was good in places, if a bit too twisty for its own good, but when Romans started showing up with the fucking magic wizard orbs I let out an involuntary ďoh for fuckís sakeĒ.

Also itís the buggiest game Iíve played since Big Rigs.

Tl;dr: itís AC, and at its core AC is good and fun, but most of the new stuff theyíve added makes it a worse game. And itís broken.

• Vortex808 2 Feb 2018 19:59:10 11,994 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:

Really not sure what to make of this game. Really loved parts of it, really hated others. I can't recall ever seeing amazing and terrible so close together, not even in Mass Effect 3. But I'll admit my early impression thrashing was a little premature, it definitely grew on me and I learned to appreciate it for what it does well.

7/10
    O_o

Witcher 3 pisses all over Mass Effect 3.

Just don't tell Fuzzy Ducky that.

Edited by Vortex808 at 19:59:55 02-02-2018
  • Cadence 2 Feb 2018 20:03:04 2,126 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:

7/10
    What didn't you like about it, out of interest? Was it the story or the gameplay?
  • Bichii 2 Feb 2018 20:05:17 381 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Witcher 3 is a 10. Everyone else is wrong.
  • Addy_B 2 Feb 2018 20:07:23 2,799 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Yeah I'd give it a 7 as well. Story and world I really liked. The combat and general traversal of the world was awful.
  • Darth_Flibble 2 Feb 2018 20:11:47 2,919 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Assassinís Creed Oranges (XO)

The new combat feels like a step down too. Yes the simplified Arkham combat was a bit basic, but the new one feels slow and clunky and doesnít suit when youíre being attacked from all sides, it only feels like it works one on one.

Tl;dr: itís AC, and at its core AC is good and fun, but most of the new stuff theyíve added makes it a worse game. And itís broken.

I would say the combat is not even a simplified Arkham combat, it didn't have that freeflow combat feel that arkham or even mordor had
  • superbob85 2 Feb 2018 20:14:09 8,481 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I felt the combat felt that way at times it was hit and miss. I'm only just getting used to it now after hours upon hours.

Edited by superbob85 at 20:14:48 02-02-2018
  • DrStrangelove 2 Feb 2018 20:36:30 11,984 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really don't want to make a fuss about it, because I'm afraid I might offend some. But since you're asking:

I loved the love to detail, the world, the setting, the pretty realistic swords and armour. Unprecedented. Loved the British accents and the foul language, some of the dialogue, the middle fingers given. I loved a few parts of the main story (mostly Blood Baron), thorougly loved some of the side quests. Loved some of the humour. Liked exploring and looting.

I hated the combat, it's broken, end of story. Even worse than Skyrim's. Disliked how it was overdoing the foul language and the grittiness etc., it just gets tiring and silly at some point. Found most of the main story boring and worn. Hated the abundance of cutscenes (feels like 70% of main quest time is spent watching cutscenes). Disliked most of the characters. Hated Geralt, his terrible voice acting and his constant failed attempts at being sarcastic. Hated the abundance of 12-years-old-level teasing, and apparently expecting me to take it seriously unless I just didn't get the joke.

As for the ME3 comparison, I gave that a 7/10 too and was really not sure if I should give these two games the same score. But I think it's adequate. ME3 does a lot wrong, and Witcher 3 does a lot of things admirably, well beyond ME3. However, ME3's combat was great fun, something I can't say about Witcher 3. And I really like good combat.

edit: and before you ask, just to get the elephant out of the room: no, Witcher 3 isn't remotely as good as Skyrim.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 20:46:36 02-02-2018
  • FatSternKikwi 2 Feb 2018 21:03:21 1,609 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Bichii fuck off. Definitely an 11 you heathen.
  • Bichii 2 Feb 2018 21:03:58 381 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @FatSternKikwi I'll take that.
  • eshy76 2 Feb 2018 21:28:50 120 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wolfenstein 2 The New Colossus (PS4 Pro) - 9/10

What can I say? Excellent shooter - great gunplay, tight controls, well written and super production values. Above all, just a bunch of fun. One point off for a couple of unwelcome difficulty spikes, slightly churlish, but there you go. If Iíd have played this last year it would have been in my top 5 for sure.
  • Mola_Ram 2 Feb 2018 22:05:09 17,181 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @DrStrangelove you gave ME3 7/10?!? Didn't you say that it was a travesty, worse than Hitler, all that rubbish?

I'd love to see what you write about games you actually do hate, because you don't seem particularly positive about the ones you like!

(not offended or anything, just puzzled/curious)

Edited by Mola_Ram at 09:49:43 03-02-2018
  • Ultrasoundwave 3 Feb 2018 09:11:37 5,653 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Evil Within 2 (Xbox One X)

Wow, I was really not expecting this.....

I played the first game when it came out and enjoyed it fine, felt like a solid 7/10 to me. I ended up buying TEW2 about a month ago because the reviews were very positive, but I didnít actually get around to playing it until last weekend.

What an amazing experience.....and this is coming from someone who isnít huge on horror too!. The story is surprisingly effective, graphically itís lovely (well, gruesome......but lovely) and I love the open world/hub structure theyíve gone for.....it works so well.

Only minor niggles are the camera is a bit too tight to Sebastien (especially when using the laser-sighted pistol) and some of the voice acting is weak......but Iím so enamoured by the whole experience I canít take points off for those things.

Iím quite surprised myself, but itís a 10/10......and I think itís going onto my ĎAll Time Greatsí list too (which only has 12 other games).

Extremely pleasantly surprised.....think itís around £20 in most places now so everyone give it a shot!
  • H1ggyLTD 3 Feb 2018 09:17:32 8,487 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Let's have your list.
  • DUFFMAN5 3 Feb 2018 09:37:49 22,420 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Ultrasoundwave

Told you it was great...at the very least I kept eulogising about it in its thread. Still no news on dlc alas :(
  • drhcnip 3 Feb 2018 10:06:55 5,673 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    The Evil Within 2 (Xbox One X)

Wow, I was really not expecting this.....

I played the first game when it came out and enjoyed it fine, felt like a solid 7/10 to me. I ended up buying TEW2 about a month ago because the reviews were very positive, but I didnít actually get around to playing it until last weekend.

What an amazing experience.....and this is coming from someone who isnít huge on horror too!. The story is surprisingly effective, graphically itís lovely (well, gruesome......but lovely) and I love the open world/hub structure theyíve gone for.....it works so well.

Only minor niggles are the camera is a bit too tight to Sebastien (especially when using the laser-sighted pistol) and some of the voice acting is weak......but Iím so enamoured by the whole experience I canít take points off for those things.

Iím quite surprised myself, but itís a 10/10......and I think itís going onto my ĎAll Time Greatsí list too (which only has 12 other games).

Extremely pleasantly surprised.....think itís around £20 in most places now so everyone give it a shot!
    next on my list after origins...really looking forward to it
  • DrStrangelove 3 Feb 2018 11:55:29 11,984 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    @DrStrangelove you gave ME3 7/10?!? Didn't you say that it was a travesty, worse than Hitler, all that rubbish?
    I gave the narrative part 4/10 and the combat 9/10, and decided to give the whole package 7/10. As I did point out, ME3 is a cheesy but still fairly good game on its own, the big problem is that it fucked up the Mass Effect saga.

I'd love to see what you write about games you actually do hate, because you don't seem particularly positive about the ones you like!
    That's not true. There are many games I praise, and there are many games I'm more positive about than most others. But to really hate something, there must be some affection involved. If you simply don't like something at all, there's usually little reason to bother.

My first impression rants against Witcher 3 may actually come closest to that. Back then I did think it was just a big turd with pretty graphics, and I just hated it. Thankfully I listened to you and gave it a third try, and thankfully you were correct that it gets much better later.
  • Ultrasoundwave 3 Feb 2018 15:01:02 5,653 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    Let's have your list.
    Halo Combat Evolved
    Red Dead Redemption
    Resident Evil
    Bloodborne
    Alien Isolation
    KOTOR
    Shenmue
    Bioshock
    Fallout 3
    Batman Arkham Asylum
    Max Payne 3
    The Legend of Zelda : Breath of the Wild
    The Evil Within 2

I didnít have any Nintendo systems growing up, before anyone starts with that shit.....
  • Darth_Flibble 3 Feb 2018 15:05:14 2,919 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Still no news on dlc alas :(
    I think they are not going to bother as the sales where poor, a demo before launch would of really helped (of course if they selected chapter that showed off the game) I think the rough 1st game put people off
  • Stranded87 3 Feb 2018 15:32:47 1,735 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:Hated Geralt, his terrible voice acting
    Surely this is just wrong? I disagree with most of what you said but thatís your opinion, I feel like Geraltís voice acting is objectively good though.
  • DrStrangelove 3 Feb 2018 16:40:19 11,984 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Stranded87

No, it is correct actually. I often try hard to take the dialogue seriously, but Geralt constantly ruins it with his silly grumbling. His voice turns any dialogue into a cartoon. It's awful! Could as well wear a clown nose all the time, the effect would be similar.
  • H1ggyLTD 3 Feb 2018 16:43:19 8,487 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    Let's have your list.
    Halo Combat Evolved
    Red Dead Redemption
    Resident Evil
    Bloodborne
    Alien Isolation
    KOTOR
    Shenmue
    Bioshock
    Fallout 3
    Batman Arkham Asylum
    Max Payne 3
    The Evil Within 2

I didnít have any Nintendo systems growing up, before anyone starts with that shit.....
    Nice.
  • Baihu1983 3 Feb 2018 17:21:33 9,688 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dear Esther

2/10

2 points for one section in the cave. The rest utter boring shit.
  • JamboWayOh 3 Feb 2018 17:25:54 5,237 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    @Stranded87

No, it is correct actually. I often try hard to take the dialogue seriously, but Geralt constantly ruins it with his silly grumbling. His voice turns any dialogue into a cartoon. It's awful! Could as well wear a clown nose all the time, the effect would be similar.
    No, no you're wrong. Very, very wrong.

Edited by JamboWayOh at 21:21:20 03-02-2018
  • dominalien 3 Feb 2018 21:18:26 8,454 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    Let's have your list.
    Halo Combat Evolved
    Red Dead Redemption
    Resident Evil
    Bloodborne
    Alien Isolation
    KOTOR
    Shenmue
    Bioshock
    Fallout 3
    Batman Arkham Asylum
    Max Payne 3
    The Evil Within 2

You are so similar to me... Yet so different.
  • ghearoid 4 Feb 2018 16:00:11 2,865 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, 8/10. I've been playing this on and off for the last year and really enjoying it. Finally decided to finish it off this weekend and be done. Such a fun game, don't understand why fans slag it off. I have Conquest waiting in the backlog.
  • Darth_Flibble 4 Feb 2018 19:31:59 2,919 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Inside
    Got it cheap in the xbox sale at christmas, really enjoyed the game apart from the bit with the sonar attack and the windmill bit, once you get the spilt second timing down its doable but there is zero error. Really like the graphic style, more than limbo and it plays better than limbo as well. I though the ending and alternate ending was a bit crap, it would be nice you get scraps of information about the world everytime you get the secrets. People trying to explain the ending with their own batshit insane theories is amusing, (a bunch of swivel eyed loon doing mental gymnastics defending their "facts")

9/10
  • H1ggyLTD 4 Feb 2018 19:33:03 8,487 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    With headphones, the sonar bit was great.
  • Page

of 535 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.