Recently Completed Games Page 529

• Page

of 531 First / Last

• uiruki 30 Dec 2017 18:32:11 4,435 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    53) VVVVVV - Switch - 4/5

Good port, runs at 60fps. Finished on a plane, the soundtrack means it's a great 'plugged in and shutting out the world' game.

54) Ryu ga Gotoku Kiwami 2 - PS4 - 5/5

Amazing port of a classic. It's missing one or two things but the whole package works so well together and the plot is wonderfully crazy. Best ending sequence in the series too.
  • killersrquiet 31 Dec 2017 12:40:25 3,162 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Assassins Creed Origins
    A year off did A.C. the world of good. Lots of varied and beautifully stunning areas to explore. Props to Ubisoft for finally making traversal fun and responsive.

Slightly let down by the sheer amount of dull side quests you need to complete in order to level up, especially towards the endgame.

8.5 / 10
  • RandolphCarter 1 Jan 2018 11:04:44 121 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Doom - PS4

Generally, I found this game quite disappointing. The original Doom games are probably my favourite of any series, but this game seems to be two generations behind in terms of game-play. There's just little to recommend other than you are constantly shooting and dodging enemies throughout repetitive environments.

It had some nice touches, like the hidden original Doom levels and the fact it handles well. However, other than that it's pretty much the same game from start to end with very little in the way of stand-out moments.

I must say, I am enjoying Wolfenstein: The New Order far, far more.

6.5/10
  • ModoX 1 Jan 2018 15:34:08 3,024 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought Doom was a little overrated by some, but I couldn't finish New Order when I played it last year as the actual gameplay was too poor and it dragged on too much

Anyways:

Gorogoa (Switch) - 8/10

Beautiful, hand drawn style puzzler. I'm not a puzzle guy but I made it through this without looking anything up despite a couple of times feeling slightly stuck. It's very clever though in some of its ideas and the narrative around it is simple but touching.

Didn't add anything being on the Switch, except cost, if you have an ipad probably play it there instead. But I don't and I liked having a reason to use the Switch.
  • RandolphCarter 1 Jan 2018 15:36:21 121 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    I'm quite early in to Wolfenstein - literally just after the coma scene (which is a pretty cool idea in terms of how the plot changes)
  • DUFFMAN5 1 Jan 2018 15:51:59 22,263 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sniper Elite 4.
    Excellent. I'm a fan of the series and this is every bit as good as 3.it also has a mass of content.
  • PazJohnMitch 1 Jan 2018 16:02:25 13,135 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What Remains of Edith Finch

Two and a half hours of well told interesting story. Edith has a much more vocal and interesting inner monologue than the leads of similar games I have played. It kept it interesting throughout and kept on pulling me in to the end. Highly recommended.

9/10
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 Jan 2018 22:37:17 2,435 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Blue Reflection: 9.5/10

Jesus, that was good. I put it as no.5 in my votes for the EG reader GOTY poll and having now finished it off this evening, it probably deserved no.4. It's short for a JRPG; 26 hours playtime according to Steam and I 100% achievemented it (though the 100%/platinum is an undemanding one). But there really is nothing else like it. There are some standard JRPG elements in there and a dash of Persona, but a good chunk of the game is simply unique. It deserves much more notice than it actually got.

It's from Gust, who made the Atelier series, so it probably slipped below the radar because the Atelier series has become so formulaic that I can sort-of understand why a lot of the bigger review sites now skip them. This is, however, a totally different kettle of fish. Anime-inspired JRPGs are ten-a-penny, but this goes into genre space you very rarely see in gaming. It's a sunset-tinged melancholy story of broken teenage dreams and frustrated ambition, interspersed with brilliantly coloured but vaguely ominous magical girl sequences. It draws on a lot of shoujo/josei tropes, but with an art style more reminiscent of KyoAni works like Hyouka (with the occasional dash of Madoka Magica thrown in).

Unusually for a JRPG, there is almost no need to grind. One specific achievement requires a small amount, but if you skip that, you can easily do a playthrough on the top difficulty with no need for grinding battles at all. Levelling up comes entirely from social interactions and main-story progression. I'd actually quite like to see a full-fledged Persona game run with that approach.

Two small complaints, which just about deny it a 10/10:

1) The dungeon design is a bit poor. Admittedly, dungeons are a small part of the game and are over in a few minutes, but they are all basically the same few environments with only minor variations. It's not quite Hyperdimension Neptunia levels of dungeon awfulness (and you spend a lot less time in dungeons than you do in the Neptunia games), but it isn't good.

2) While scarce, the fanservice is mis-placed. I'm normally the last one to complain about fanservice in games; I generally love the Senran Kagura series and so on. But this isn't really the right genre for it and the DLC outfits (which are much skimpier than anything in the game itself) and the occasional wet-clothing effect feel like ill-fitting features added at the last minute because marketing demanded them.

But overall, a really good and much under-rated game. In terms of emotional impact, only Nier Automata outdid it for me in 2017.

Edited by Rogueywon at 22:38:14 02-01-2018
  • Pierre2k 2 Jan 2018 23:59:52 945 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gears of War 4 - Xbox One X

Having bought an X1X at the beginning of December, previously only owning a PS4, my Xbox One odyssey continues (following completing Ryse). The credits are literally rolling in the background as I write this.

Honestly, I absolutely loved this game. I've played and completed the previous 3 mainline Gears games on X360 back when they were released, but never got round to Judgement and haven't played a Gears game since (6 years ago).

The original Gears for me was an absolute classic and easily one of the best games of the last generation. I enjoyed the multiplayer, but the main appeal was the fresh (at the time) cover based gameplay, enjoyable story and absolutely astounding visuals. With Gears 2 and 3, everything got bigger and better, but it never captures that same magic you get played a new series for the first time.

With Gears 4, I really haven't understood the good, but not great, reception it received at launch. At GEars 3 I was fatigued, but after such a long break this was the game to get me hooked again. I haven't touched multiplayer so this is entirely based on the single player:

Pros:
    - Visuals.....WOW! In full native 4K HDR at an unwavering framerate, this is an absolutely stunning game. Time and again I had to stop and look at my lush surroundings. Probably one of the best looking games I've seen
    - Gameplay....The Coalition have absolutely nailed that Gears feel. However, they also managed to add a number of new enemy types to mix up the strategies. They've also got moments with mechs, loaders, bikes. Keeps it feeling fresh.
    - Story....For me, this was a perfect hand over of the baton from the old blood to the new. The exact opposite of the Ghostbusters reboot where it had stupid cameos, rather than a moment of torch passing. Here you see a new band of brothers (and sisters), but with the old favourites there to ensure you still care. Going into the inevitable (hopefully) Gears 5, I'm now more than happy to pic up with JD and Del (hope Marcus still pops up though)

Cons:
    - The gameplay and story sags a bit in the middle. The search for a missing Marcus at one point goes on far, far too long.
    - The set pieces, whilst always fun, were over a bit too quickly in some instances
    - I found the last chapter one of the easiest. Generally, on normal at least, the game is quite easy due to the near constant revivals by AI team mates.

Overall, not perfect, but for me a definite return to form for the series. Microsoft get a lot of (justified) stick for the reliance on Forza, Halo and Gears, but personally, I hope the Gears series runs and runs. Gears 4 was the perfect setup for a new series. The Force Awakens if you will.

9/10

Edited by Pierre2k at 00:00:30 03-01-2018
  • samharper 3 Jan 2018 00:12:18 939 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Life Is Strange: Before the Storm

Just... wonderful. Absolutely sublime and at the peak of the not-really-a-game genre. Cannot wait to see what they (either Deck Nine or Dontnod) do next.

10/10

My personal GOTY along with Super Mario Odyssey
  • RyanDS 3 Jan 2018 09:35:30 11,693 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    oldschoolnoob wrote:
    Call of Duty: WWII
    TlDr

Edited by RyanDS at 09:36:16 03-01-2018
  • DUFFMAN5 3 Jan 2018 09:59:30 22,263 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pierre2k wrote:

Overall, not perfect, but for me a definite return to form for the series, but personally, I hope the Gears series runs and runs. Gears 4 was the perfect setup for a new series. The Force Awakens if you will.

9/10
    I like your style ;)
  • Pierre2k 3 Jan 2018 11:09:10 945 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Pierre2k wrote:

Overall, not perfect, but for me a definite return to form for the series, but personally, I hope the Gears series runs and runs. Gears 4 was the perfect setup for a new series. The Force Awakens if you will.

9/10
    I like your style ;)
    I did consider saying:

I hope the Gears series "roadie" runs and runs... 😉
  • DukeSilver 3 Jan 2018 11:34:10 2,645 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Orwell.

I liked it. I might go back to it and explore some more as there are a few different branches and endings.

There are some YouTube videos that will do a better job of explaining it, but it's a kind of point and click spying/hacking game with a story. Your job is to go through various blog posts, websites and private communications of suspects and record whatever evidence is relevant. This evidence is given to someone else to investigate. Sometimes the evidence is contradictory and sometimes it's misleading so you have to be careful about what you pass on. It's surprisingly atmospheric watching text conversations in real time with a futuristic tense backing soundtrack.
  • ghearoid 3 Jan 2018 18:57:03 2,787 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Switch

My activity log shows a 155 hour playthough! The combat is fantastic, probably my favourite system since Grandia. The characters are very likeable and although the story is fairly clichéd, it's engaging and fun

There are definite issues with the game, but nothing that stopped me from progressing, enjoying and completing it. As for a score, my heart wants to give it a 10/10, but my head gives it a 8/10.

I'll be keeping my game card and seeing what's in the NG+ update and DLC. I'd happily play it through all over again. :)
  • GuybrushThreepwood 3 Jan 2018 22:30:18 1,562 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @ghearoid I'm just starting and it's just getting it's hooks in. No idea what I'm doing really and the cut scenes seem massive, but it's fun.
  • the_dudefather 4 Jan 2018 09:53:41 10,569 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SUPERHOT (the VR one)

-You can block bullets with your guns, which has a nice 'ting' sound
    -Some later segments are a bit frustrating (I was never good at throwing items)
    -Short and sweet
    -It's fun just slowly dodging bullets, I still felt slightly swimmy after taking the VR off

Score: SUPER/HOT
  • Zomoniac 4 Jan 2018 11:31:26 9,513 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus (PS4)

The story is great and very entertaining, incredible attention to detail in the world design and has some superb set pieces. A great shame then that the game itself is a bit lacking. The level design is often repetitive and confusing (there were far too many times it took ages to work out where to go), the guns and controls feel very loose and imprecise compared to the likes of Destiny and Titanfall, and it has invisible walls, which is unforgivable in 2017.

7/10
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 4 Jan 2018 12:19:08 31,681 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    the_dudefather wrote:
    -It's fun just slowly dodging bullets, I still felt slightly swimmy after taking the VR off
    That game messed with my head more than any other VR game. When I finished playing, someone threw something to me and I just watched it bounce off my chest with absolutely no attempt to catch it, as I assumed I could just stand still to slow it down in the air. Superhot plays with the concept of time so much, you really do feel a bit out of it after playing. Great game though :)
  • monkman76 4 Jan 2018 14:16:40 12,199 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    the_dudefather wrote:
    SUPERHOT (the VR one)

-You can block bullets with your guns, which has a nice 'ting' sound
    -Some later segments are a bit frustrating (I was never good at throwing items)
    -Short and sweet

Score: SUPER/HOT
    I just finished this today and thought it was pretty much the perfect VR game. The throwing is definitely not great, but I found that a slow, considered 'push' type throw from my chest straight out worked pretty well.

Didn't get any swimmyness, just the usual VR sweat.

Best use of the Move controllers, of the games I've played anyway, by a country mile. Or maybe I just mean the best game that is controlled with Moves.
  • the_dudefather 4 Jan 2018 14:40:38 10,569 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I got really good at throwing stuff towards the floor in game and punching the blinds near my desk in real life while playing it

I assumed I could just stand still to slow it down in the air
    This was pretty much the exact feeling I had (in terms of swimmyness), was sitting on the couch and sorta spaced out for a moment while I thought about time moving as I moved :D

Think it's due to some of the sections near the end where you really have to consider how much time any kind of action you perform takes while you dodge multiple bullets
  • Graxlar_v3 5 Jan 2018 07:38:27 1,135 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    ghearoid wrote:
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Switch

My activity log shows a 155 hour playthough! The combat is fantastic, probably my favourite system since Grandia. The characters are very likeable and although the story is fairly clichéd, it's engaging and fun

There are definite issues with the game, but nothing that stopped me from progressing, enjoying and completing it. As for a score, my heart wants to give it a 10/10, but my head gives it a 8/10.

I'll be keeping my game card and seeing what's in the NG+ update and DLC. I'd happily play it through all over again. :)
    Although I only clocked in at 90 hours, I have finished the game and completely agree with this. I may have finished the game but in no way am I finished with it.

Sometimes a game is more than the sum of its parts, there were many issues with the game and I sighed on more than one occasion out of disbelief but if I was to score this I would give it a 9/10.

My two biggest gripes fell down on the map being beyond a joke, sometimes it actively makes the game worse for you (almost intentionally) and I was forced to check the internet to understand where I was going wrong and secondly, although the combat system is immense, the game sort of pushes you away from participating in it outside of story becuase the enemies take so long to defeat and you will often by swarmed or a higher level enemy will join the attack and 1 hit kill your team :(.

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 07:42:37 05-01-2018
  • Zomoniac 6 Jan 2018 13:32:15 9,513 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What Remains of Edith Finch (PC)

Picked up in the sale on the back of its 2nd place in the EG top 50 knowing nothing about it. Absolutely astonishing. Sort of a halfway between Gone Home (which I liked but didn't love) and Dear Esther (which I thought was utter shite), but substantially better. I wasn't overly sold at first as the controls are a bit shit (though it is a walking sim so not a massive deal) and the first sequence is a bit pants (the Molly one), but where it goes from there and some of the later sequences, particular the Barbara and Lewis ones are breathtaking.

• Monsieur_Blade 6 Jan 2018 14:29:54 442 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wolfenstein II

Really, really enjoyed this and thought the story was great. The only thing that let it down was the 50% health thing for the first part of the game (which I found quite annoying) and the fact that, apart from the shotgun, I found a lot of the guns quite unsatisfying and not meaty enough.

I don’t think it’s quite as good as TNO but it’s still one of my favourite games of 2017.

8.5/10
  • JamboWayOh 6 Jan 2018 14:54:27 4,505 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Uncharted The Lost Legacy.

Absolutely stunning game. For a supposedly budget game the attention to detail in everything was mind-blowing and had a really well judged running time. Had a really nice semi open world structure to begin with and then went full on linear and it was all enjoyable. I had the same feeling with Uncharted 4 which I also lived. Something seems to have changed from the PS3 versions in gameplay where it doesn't become frustrating when you're in combat. I actively enjoyed the combat in both this and 4. Especially as they don't seem to take the piss with the unstoppable wave of enemies that 2 and especially 3 were guilty of.

I must say I actually didn't even miss Drake in this and I would bank on there being an Uncharted 5 with Chloe and Nadine who I felt really bounced off each other in quite a believable way.

9/10

Edited by JamboWayOh at 15:17:14 06-01-2018
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 6 Jan 2018 15:15:32 2,435 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Call of Duty: WW2 (campaign) - 7/10

Finished this the other night. It's a bit of a historical travesty (similar to last year's BF1), which makes the huge layers of sombre worthiness it tries to drape over everything a bit cloying. But the gunplay is good, the story rattles along at a good pace and even the stealth bits are less bad than the usual tacked-on-stealth-section.

I think this is just the second time in the history of the series (after CoD4:MW and World at War) that I've enjoyed the campaigns in two consecutive CoD releases.
  • ModoX 8 Jan 2018 08:55:51 3,024 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dream Daddy: A Dad Dating Simulator - 8/10

Heard so much about this, particularly at the end of year awards season. It is very endearing and a pleasant experience. Though I also finished Butterfly Soup before it - a visual novel (not a dating sim, and with nothing in the way of the mini games etc you see in Dream Daddy) about four high school kids, touching on gender and sexuality etc - and on reflection probably preferred that. The writing is better and it actually gets into the issues more, but still in a really positive way. It has the advantage that it's telling one specific story about set characters. The writing is really strong in both though.
  • Graxlar_v3 8 Jan 2018 08:58:59 1,135 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    ModoX likes touching teenagers gender and sexuality confirmed!
  • UncleLou Moderator 8 Jan 2018 09:06:18 39,000 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Monsieur_Blade wrote:
    Wolfenstein II

Really, really enjoyed this and thought the story was great. The only thing that let it down was the 50% health thing for the first part of the game (which I found quite annoying) and the fact that, apart from the shotgun, I found a lot of the guns quite unsatisfying and not meaty enough.

I don’t think it’s quite as good as TNO but it’s still one of my favourite games of 2017.

8.5/10
    Finished this yesterday and I tend to agree. It's a brilliant an remarkably polished game, with some great setpieces. Looks fantastic, and explosions never felt so real. I cringed everytime a bigger enemy blew up near me. I disagree that weapons don't feel meaty enough, I think they're great!

However, for such an enormously polished AAA game, the difficulty levels are poorly judged. "Normal" is too easy, and the one(s) above are not difficult, but annoying, because you die *so* quickly.
  • Page

of 531 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.