Recently Completed Games Page 528

• Page

of 531 First / Last

• spleendonkey 23 Dec 2017 00:21:54 264 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just finished resident evil HD. My first time playing it, and it was brilliant. It really reminded me of dark souls funnily enough. The difficulty if you go into an area blind, the resource management and levels that slowly expand in horrifying/tense ways the further you get from a safe room. It's got me on a horror kick so I've started evil within which is...Ok.

It really makes me want to play the Resi 4 HD since I never played that either, but the reviews up there are making me worry! It's on sale on PS4 at the moment so I may take a punt.
  • Nitrous 23 Dec 2017 22:05:58 1,579 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Uncharted Lost Legacy (PS4)

Shorter than the main series but with the usual high standard. Excellent from start to finish.

9/10
  • Mr_Sleep 23 Dec 2017 22:54:49 21,462 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just finished that this evening too. It does definitely feel shorter but what it lacks in length it makes up in wonderful art design. Some of the vistas in this are truly amazing.

I also enjoyed the two main characters and some of the set pieces were well constructed. Couple of stupid and frustrating bits as per usual but overall I enjoyed it a lot. I do wonder if they will continue churning out the uncharted games as the formula while fun is liable to start feeling stale eventually.
  • Darth_Flibble 24 Dec 2017 15:29:52 2,882 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter

Almost gave up on this, the series has always been janky but for reason they added shitty action bits and stealth. For a small studio they shouldn't be shoving these things into a detective/puzzle games when they can't do them well. The stealth section in the graveyard is like a bad budget ps2 game.

The game does the cases well and really liked the last chapter, shame about all the crap they try to add to make it appeal to the gamer that hates the puzzle/detective bits, go and play an action game.

6/10

Golden axe collection

The arcade game is a classic 2nd one is ok - a bit of step down as they were only put on the megadrive but the 3rd one is a fucking piece of crap. Shame Sega don't make these brawler games any more, there was that utter turd that was on 360/ps3 but it was not a GA game at all.

7/10
  • JiveHound 24 Dec 2017 15:51:52 9,123 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Considering by your own estimation they got progressively more terrible why would you want more?
  • Darth_Flibble 24 Dec 2017 16:06:34 2,882 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    Considering by your own estimation they got progressively more terrible why would you want more?
    I don't think sega made the 360/ps3 one, so that one does not count. 2 would of been decent if it an arcade game at the time. They just need to give the game to a decent studio like the sonic mania game is considered one of the best sonic games in ages (no pun) New streets of rage or final fight would be good, made in the style of the arcade games
  • JiveHound 24 Dec 2017 17:05:28 9,123 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Heh, I was just being contrarian really but taking your argument presented in isolation it does seem mad. :D
  • Zomoniac 26 Dec 2017 16:36:32 9,513 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fix.
  • Zomoniac 26 Dec 2017 16:38:32 9,513 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Weird, it said the last post was an hour ago, but even after a fix post the last one showing is two days ago.

Also my previous post is showing as “1 second ago ago”
  • Tomo 26 Dec 2017 23:41:44 15,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Emily is Away – ...9/10?!

Score seems a bit redundant for a free game that lasts 20 minutes or so, but shitttttt, this was a real kick in the bollocks at the end. You can download it on Steam. I did it whilst my folks were watching Eastenders.

Basically, you assume the role of someone chatting with Emily via an online messenger client, like MSN. The interface is a spoof of Windows XP and there are various references to bands and movies from 10 or so years ago. It's a nice little trip to a time when I happened to also have been at university.

Through the course of 5 years you have a few conversations, which are mostly multiple choice dialogue trees. The story is really believable and engaging. I really felt like I was chatting to Emily and I was invested in her relationships with other people and my own relationship with her.

The ending is fucking heart-breaking!! I was not expecting that... your final conversation slowly descends into a few mundane questions and two-word answers as your relationship evaporates in front of your eyes. Basically, it was fucking bang-on and reminded me of some lingering email conversations I've had over the years. Yeesh, wayyy more impactful than expected when I fired it up.
  • VanillaLake 27 Dec 2017 02:23:05 597 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @spleendonkey Glad that you enjoyed Resident Evil (Remake) HD. You can't go wrong with Resident Evil 4 HD, if there are negative reviews is because it didn't improve much compared to the last version of the game but if you have never played RE4 don't hesitate.

I just finished The Evil Within, some good ideas that are poorly implemented, but the second one is much better according to eurogamers
  • voden 27 Dec 2017 03:09:26 436 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think RE4 HD is pretty bad, the aiming is well off compared to the Gamecube version. I was really disappointed with it, it's no where near as much fun as it should be.
  • VanillaLake 27 Dec 2017 11:25:25 597 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @voden I have played it on GameCube and Wii. I got the Xbox One version but haven't played yet. So haven't they patched the issues on the HD version?
  • voden 27 Dec 2017 11:40:46 436 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have it on the ps4 and have no idea if it's been patched but I got it quite a bit after release so I don't think so. Maybe the Xbox version isn't as bad but for me it was borderline unplayable on the ps4. I fired it up on the Gamecube to compare and it was night and day. So easy to land headshot after headshot.
  • Addy_B 27 Dec 2017 11:43:50 2,478 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    The end is nigh. Pad biting, swearing and tears. All things you will experience playing this game. Bloody brilliant it is though. If you're up for the challenge.
  • Darth_Flibble 27 Dec 2017 12:57:08 2,882 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Played RE4 when it was re-released on the 360 and that was a lazy port, not surprised to hear the port to xbox1 and ps4 are just as lazy.
  • Malek86 27 Dec 2017 13:01:00 6,628 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't think I've played RE4 since the PS2 days. And yes, I know it looked better on the GC (I have that version too), but progressive scan and proper widescreen on the PS2 help a lot.
  • spleendonkey 27 Dec 2017 14:54:36 264 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Can anyone confirm if it has an easy mode though? I'm hearing maybe not.

I'm bad at shooting games and scared it might be beyond me.
  • H1ggyLTD 27 Dec 2017 14:55:15 8,103 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 27 Dec 2017 15:06:35 31,681 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I adored JC3. Probably my favourite PS Plus game I've had, to the point I even bought the Season Pass to get all that stuff. I do vaguely remember some always online annoyance on the map that I disabled as soon as I figured out how, but after that I enjoyed it more than 2.

Edit: Deleting last post bug broke the thread so I'm replying to an older comment :p It still fits in the thread though, I adore Just Cause 3.

Edited by DFawkes at 15:08:50 27-12-2017
  • VanillaLake 27 Dec 2017 15:25:19 597 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @spleendonkey Yes, Resident Evil 4 has several difficulty modes. You'll be fine.
  • Malek86 27 Dec 2017 18:57:13 6,628 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Manual Samuel (Xbox One)

Short indie adventure about a guy who dies but is given a second shot at life, if he can do everything "manually" for 24 hours... and I mean everything. You don't just get a button for each limb (a la Octodad), but also a button to keep your spine straight, a button to breathe in, and a different one to breathe out, etc.

The story is funny, in a nonsense way, and the humor actually works most of the time. It's very short, but that's not really a bad thing, because if it were any longer the joke would start to wear thin. It would have been even better if the last chapter (and even the "final boss") weren't generally annoying, although you can never die, so it's really just a matter of keeping it up until you make it.

It's currently on sale for 2 euro on Xbox, and only slightly more on PC. For that price, it's well worth checking out imho.

7/10

Edited by Malek86 at 18:58:38 27-12-2017
  • superbob85 28 Dec 2017 19:41:24 8,357 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Back to the future episodes 2 and 3 played back to back really enjoying this really interested going back and forth in timelines. Hoping it continues in the last 2 episodes probably play those at some point tomorrow.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 29 Dec 2017 16:27:03 2,435 posts
    Seen 1 second ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Forza Motorsport 7 (PC) - 9/10

By "completed", I mean "won the Forza Championship". There's actually some other stuff I'm going to finish up before I'm done with the game.

On the whole, I thought this was an extremely good entry in the Forza series; second only to FM4. It does have flaws. The main ones being:

- Technical issues still unresolved months after launch, primarily (but not exclusively) affecting the PC version, but happily not interfering with actual racing (mostly menus).

- Homologation was a mistake and should be ditched from the series. It detracts from the CarPGish goodness.

- Overuse of a couple of particular tracks; Francochamps and Silverstone in particular.

But other than those, it's an extremely good game. The economy's actually quite well-tuned. Those cash rewards seem tiny at first, but you need to remember that car prices are much, much lower than in previous installments (top-end cars being about 10% of the price they were previously). Plus you can easily boost your winnings using the mods. The racing is an absolute joy on a pad.

I do wonder whether I'd still be rating this so highly if the lootbox controversy that broke around around the time it launched didn't lead to the (clearly planned) pay-to-win elements being quietly ditched and certain elements of the in-game economy being made more generous. I suspect not. Score one for consumer-action.
  • superbob85 29 Dec 2017 22:38:57 8,357 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Back to the future ended up enjoying this more after every episode. Much better than the game of thrones one in my opinion. Looking forward to seeing how the wolf among us 2 turns out in 2018.
  • Malek86 29 Dec 2017 23:00:04 6,628 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Crystal Caves (PC)

After a number of mediocre-to-okay Apogee platformers, here's a good one again. Not as good as Secret Agent, it lacks the clearer direction of that game, but better than most. It has grey people, so that's pretty cool.

8/10

Anyway, that was the last of the Apogee games I still needed to play. It was a fun romp.

DOS platformers are very different from console platformers, where you usually just need to take the long path from point A to point B while not dying (see Mario and Sonic). DOS platformers are usually based on collecting items on fairly small maps. I think it was a matter of technical limitations: on old PCs, the lack of specialized hardware for smooth scrolling must have influenced early developers to make their games almost always single screen-based. And to increase the length of a level when you can only use a single screen, you need to force the players to run around a lot.

I actually prefer this style myself, but over time, even PC platformers have evolved toward the more typical console style, hence stuff like Realms of Chaos and Gex.

Surprisingly, some early 3D console efforts like Mario 64 and Spyro, where you travel around a smaller area several times, seem actually closer to this DOS style than the old console counterparts. Again, technical limitations at play, I imagine: it's hard to make a long 3D levels without some kind of streaming technology, which was not easy back then. I suppose Crash was the nearest equivalent.

I would like to see a game like this old Apogee stuff again today.

Edited by Malek86 at 23:00:39 29-12-2017
  • ModoX 30 Dec 2017 12:53:33 3,024 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tacoma - 7/10

Took me and the missus a while to get through this, and we usually get through walking sims quite quickly. I did enjoy it, the characters are great and it's a neat story. It's not doing all that much though. Really it feels like they came up with the rewinding a conversation mechanic and then came up with a fairly generic story to fit around it. In the same year Edith Finch was doing its thing, this was a little disappointing.
  • Darth_Flibble 30 Dec 2017 16:48:22 2,882 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Book of unwritten tales 2

Really enjoyed the game, its such a fun point and click adventure which never takes it self serious and plenty of tv and film references that never feel shoe horned like other games have done, also makes fun out of the genre at points. Never would of played the game if it was not for game pass and a friend recommended it (so much better than the Sherlock game also on game pass)

Most of the time the puzzles never feel like they are complete bullshit although there is couple of times you need to look at a guide. The only negatives are chapter 3 start feels too drawn out as you try to get out the area and so bugs they never fixed like the weird muted voice audio in 1 or 2 parts or the bit where you making the water wheel (thought the game had glitched)Never played the 1st game as its PC only iirc and never felt it was hard to get into the story. The ending very short and just ends,
    the dread 2nd game in the trilogy, if they make a 3rd one

8.5/10
  • Page

of 531 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.