Recently Completed Games Page 527

• Page

of 531 First / Last

• Pierre2k 9 Dec 2017 12:03:49 945 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 Either Gears of War 4 or Rise of the Tomb Raider next. Also got Forza 7, Sunset Overdrive, Homefront: the Revolution and Assassin's Creed Origins.

Wanting to get some of the smaller games done before heading into open world time sinks like AC or SO.
  • Derblington 9 Dec 2017 12:22:43 30,192 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Pierre2k

It's a fair summary or Ryse. I bought in on release as it was a title that, although it got a really mediocre reception, just always appealed to me. It's a high 6/low 7, imo, but there is enjoyment in it and that sequence at the end, walking between the columns slaughtering soldier after soldier with brilliant animation work before killing the dude on the statue is probably the best power fantasy moment in any game I've ever played.

Might play through it again next year.
  • Darth_Flibble 10 Dec 2017 10:23:24 2,882 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Party Hard
    On one hand I quite like this game, its like a 16 bit-ish Hitman but plays like some 8 bit game. Which is a pain as it feels imprecise at times like some old bit game eg you can get die when some bouncer kicks you to death when he is not directly opposite you or walks through a door. It sort of like the shit double dragon 4, they made it look and play like some shit old NES double dragon game.

The game does run out of ideas near the end and it puts less traps in which makes the game a bit more boring. It feels like there were going for Hotline miami feels but not even the soundtrack is good. The music has 16 bit feel when they should of had music like HM and the graphics are pixel art, would of been nice to have better sprites. I understand if it was done on limited budget but fixing all the above would make it a much better game.

Despite all that and for the sale price I paid, I had some fun
    6/10
  • Malek86 10 Dec 2017 15:45:22 6,628 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Realms of Chaos (PC)

Started this morning. Finished this afternoon. Must have taken me less than 3 hours in all. That's really short, even for Apogee.

Anyway, it's a relatively non-standard platformer for them. This one is more action oriented and somewhat similar to an old-school Castlevania, except you can switch on the fly between a stronger melee character and a weaker but long-range wizard. Some cheap traps here and there, but since you can save at any point, they are not too irritating.

It's fun enough while it lasts, I guess. Better than Cosmo for sure, but kinda forgettable. Graphics look really low res for 1995. The ending was weird, like in some other Apogee games. I should be getting used to them by now, but they are still weird.

7/10
  • docrob 11 Dec 2017 15:50:40 805 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SteamWorld Dig (PC)

Now that was a whole lot of fun. Best Ł1.50 I've spent in a while.

A homage to the 8-bit and 16-bit games of my youth (especially Boulder Dash). Except that I completed it - little danger of that back in the day, when saves were a thing of the future.

9/10 - will buy the sequel for sure.
  • LittleSparra 11 Dec 2017 16:06:31 7,369 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    @Pierre2k

It's a fair summary or Ryse. I bought in on release as it was a title that, although it got a really mediocre reception, just always appealed to me. It's a high 6/low 7, imo, but there is enjoyment in it and that sequence at the end, walking between the columns slaughtering soldier after soldier with brilliant animation work before killing the dude on the statue is probably the best power fantasy moment in any game I've ever played.

Ryse left me with a taste for a proper Roman game. Some of the start and finale was excellent. The middle sagged and the whole thing was nonsense, but strangely satisfying. A proper good RPG in that world would be my bag.
  • superbob85 12 Dec 2017 21:13:25 8,357 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mafia 2 Enjoyed it more than i thought I would had a good story and found myself actually caring about the characters. A few graphical glitches puts the score down to 8/10.
  • DUFFMAN5 12 Dec 2017 23:21:46 22,263 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    LittleSparra wrote:
    Derblington wrote:
    @Pierre2k

Ryse left me with a taste for a proper Roman game. Some of the start and finale was excellent. The middle sagged and the whole thing was nonsense, but strangely satisfying. A proper good RPG in that world would be my bag.
    Ubi sent me a long questionnaire today, one of the Qs was were would you like the next game based, one was the Roman invasion, so you never know ;)
  • GeezaTap 13 Dec 2017 00:35:22 337 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hellblade - Senua's Sacrifice

Never expected it to be a walking simulation with the occasional fight. Played it with the headphones in and really glad I did, as the atmosphere was delightfully tense and creepy at times.

That said, the puzzles were a bit of a chore at times. More variety would have been nice.

Worth the Ł17 on sale.

7/10
  • monsieur-Cosmo 14 Dec 2017 11:54:00 370 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Mad Max on PC

Strange experience with this one, kept abandoning it then later started to miss it, installed again, resumed playing. Overall an enjoyable experience, close to the finale it started to drag. Bosses were mostly the same with one formula of combat hence very easy to defeat (not that I'm complaining). The game excels at getting the atmosphere of Mad Max movies right.
    Absolutely recommended if you like Mad Max AND open world games - 9/10.
    If not, a solid 7/10.

Forgot to add that I've also finished Resident Evil 4 on PC . That is the main story, couldn't care less about those side stories.
    For fuck's sake how could I ever liked this so much. It's just a shooting gallery. There are no zombies, there is no T-virus, no Umbrella Corp. Why is this called a Resident Evil. Next time I'll rather replay RE 1-3, thank you vey much. 2/10

Edited by monsieur-Cosmo at 12:02:41 14-12-2017
  • Stranded87 14 Dec 2017 12:32:37 1,706 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    monsieur-Cosmo wrote:
    Forgot to add that I've also finished Resident Evil 4 on PC . That is the main story, couldn't care less about those side stories.
    For fuck's sake how could I ever liked this so much. It's just a shooting gallery. There are no zombies, there is no T-virus, no Umbrella Corp. Why is this called a Resident Evil. Next time I'll rather replay RE 1-3, thank you vey much. 2/10
    I came to this late (though still a good few years ago now) and never got why everyone loved it. It's just not very good.
  • Quint 14 Dec 2017 14:07:01 30 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tokyo Xanadu eX+

Absolutely loved this one, really hope they'll make more Tokyo Xanadu-games. Sure, there were a few translation-errors (mostly in the eX+ parts), but that doesn't really matter to much in the grand scheme of things, really enjoyed the story & the characters. Also, it's kind of nice with a JRPG where the average dungeon is completed in 10-15 minutes rather than 2+ hours :)

If Persona 5 wasn't released this year, this would probably have been my GOTY.

9/10
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 Dec 2017 14:09:54 2,435 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Quint wrote:
    Tokyo Xanadu eX+

Absolutely loved this one, really hope they'll make more Tokyo Xanadu-games. Sure, there were a few translation-errors (mostly in the eX+ parts), but that doesn't really matter to much in the grand scheme of things, really enjoyed the story & the characters. Also, it's kind of nice with a JRPG where the average dungeon is completed in 10-15 minutes rather than 2+ hours :)

If Persona 5 wasn't released this year, this would probably have been my GOTY.

9/10
    Ugh, tempting. I saw this on Steam, didn't know much about it and it looked interesting. But ouch... that price.
  • Quint 14 Dec 2017 14:18:24 30 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:

Ugh, tempting. I saw this on Steam, didn't know much about it and it looked interesting. But ouch... that price.
    There is a 10% discount for the next 27 hours ;)

But yeah, it is a bit pricey. For me, it was totally worth it though, but obviously, it's not a game that'll appeal to everyone.
  • Rhaegyr 14 Dec 2017 14:21:22 4,020 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RE4 is great; I remember that game blowing my mind.

The graphics, context sensitive actions, over the shoulder camera, body specific targeting and other innovations were all stunning at the time.

In fact I've just convinced myself to start another play through :)
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 Dec 2017 14:22:45 2,435 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Quint wrote:

There is a 10% discount for the next 27 hours ;)

But yeah, it is a bit pricey. For me, it was totally worth it though, but obviously, it's not a game that'll appeal to everyone.
    To be honest, it looks very much like it would appeal to me. I think I'll make myself finish Blue Reflection first. I only have time for one Japanese life-sim/RPG at once.
  • Quint 14 Dec 2017 14:28:19 30 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    To be honest, it looks very much like it would appeal to me. I think I'll make myself finish Blue Reflection first. I only have time for one Japanese life-sim/RPG at once.
    Blue Reflection has been on my wishlist on steam for a while now, looks really interesting but that's a game that made me go "ouch... that price" :p

Hoping for a discount on steams winter-sale, otherwise I'll probably end up picking it up at full price.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 Dec 2017 14:34:11 2,435 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Quint Yeah, Blue Reflection is very good (I put it 5th on my list for the front page GOTY vote) but also expensive.

I think I'm nearly done with it now. It's pretty short for a JRPG, with dungeons being over with in 10 mins or so.
  • Darth_Flibble 16 Dec 2017 15:29:18 2,882 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dead Space 360 ver on Xbox one

Finished off my playthrough started last year, such a great game, a bit more action than the older survival horror games but so much atmosphere as you explore the levels. The gun turrets bit where a bit naff but nothing that bad. Having all but one engineering weapons was a nice twist for weapon choice. Also the onscreen HUD was amazing for the time, games have gone back to HUDs the corners of the screen. For 360 BC game it looks good still, I doubt a "remaster" would look a lot better.

Its sad EA tried to focus test the game to death after this, 2 had MP shoved in which quickly become barely anyone playing. The ending was more action that should of been.

The third game killed the franchise stone dead as EA forced changes to make more a co-op shooter for the COD gamer. The few that angrily defend 3 were insufferable as they loved the more shooter, much less horror atmosphere. (3 had some good parts as you explored the wrecked ships after the awful cover based shootout near the apartments)

Dead Space 9.5/10
  • superbob85 16 Dec 2017 15:43:52 8,357 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm playing dead space 2 at the moment such a great series it saddens me that we will never see another in the series.
  • Darth_Flibble 16 Dec 2017 15:55:36 2,882 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Really want to play Dead space 2 and just checked its on the BC list \o/

Hopefully there will be spiritual successor to the series as EA would fuck up a new dead space game right now
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 16 Dec 2017 17:07:43 2,435 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've always rated the first Dead Space highest. It was the least linear and it knew how to use a sense of place to build tension. What I mean by that is that by confining you to a relatively small number of locations across the Ishimura, it built an environment you recognised. You'd start to think of areas as "safe" - like the bridge or the medbay, but as the game went on and the Necromorph infection progressed, they'd change and previously safe areas could suddenly become hostile. That safe/unsafe tension is at the heart of a lot of good horror games/movies.

DS2 was much more of a corridor shooter. You just progressed forwards through a straightforward sequence of environments. It was prettier than the first game, but it lost something.

And yeah, DS3. That was a thing that happened.
  • The_Goon 17 Dec 2017 23:57:18 702 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Uncharted: Lost Legacy 8/10

Got this on Black Friday and finished it quickly enough. Not much to say really. More of the same but with a female lead. Would have been nice to have seen a difference between previous instalments in having a female lead (eg having to be more stealthy because you don’t have the brute strength to beat up loads of guys) but not a deal breaker. Had far more fun with it than recent games. GTA V really bores me in comparison. Appreciate they don’t want to outstay their welcome with the franchise but the formula works so I’d really love to see more.
  • superbob85 19 Dec 2017 19:15:18 8,357 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bioshock 2 Started off slow got gradually better as it progressed continued the story from the first really well. Might have to start Infinite over at some point after Christmas. 8/10
  • Pierre2k 20 Dec 2017 00:17:33 945 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @superbob85 I loved the Bioshock games so much I'm actually jealous that you're getting to experience them for the first time.

Before you put Bioshock 2 to bed, you MUST play the Minerva's Den DLC. Brilliant stuff.

Bioshock 2 was massively underrated IMO, but is still the weakest in the series. Rapture could never be quite so spellbinding the second time around. Infinite is great though. That reminds me, despite loving the series (probably one of my favourites last gen) I never completed the second part of the story DLC on infinite. Damn, need to go back.
  • b0rk 20 Dec 2017 01:30:04 7,523 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Finished off Shadow of War, overall I had a pretty good time with it, a solid 7/10. I went back to Mordor and everything feels basic in comparison, not really enjoying it as much as the sequel.
  • Rhaegyr 20 Dec 2017 08:53:37 4,020 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    South Park: Fractured But Whole

First half of the game was pretty dull - a lot of back and forth through the town without any good story or interesting missions to back it up. The plot really picks up in the second half and becomes much more involving. Battle system is better than the original but still pretty basic.

Decent but not as good as the original - plus the omission of Canada is a dumb move.

6/10
  • Malek86 21 Dec 2017 14:54:27 6,628 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Star Wars: Racer Revenge (PS4)

I can see why it wasn't as well received as the original. The tracks are bland (there are no real obstacles whatsoever), the upgrading during the campaign means there's no difference between the various pod racers, and the graphics look worse than the old Racer while still refusing to hold 30fps even on the PS4.

My favorite bit is the story setting, because it's downright crazy: apparently, 8 years after Episode 1 and 2 years before Episode 2, Anakin gets the bright the idea of returning to Tattooine for some pod racing. Why he would abandon his jedi training, or why he wouldn't try and look for his mom on the planet, is never touched upon. This was actually released a little earlier than Episode 2, so while you still get Hayden Christensen's model in the game, they probably didn't want to risk anything that could clash with the movie itself. Maybe it would have been better with no story at all, like the first game.

I just finished the campaign mode with one racer, and I'm not gonna look back.

5/10

Edited by Malek86 at 14:56:28 21-12-2017
  • Deleted user 21 December 2017 16:24:31
    CoD WWII. Campaign.

A little short, nothing particularly new, but thoroughly enjoyable nonetheless. Have begun it again on veteran difficultly.

8/10
  • Malek86 22 Dec 2017 20:09:28 6,628 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Biomenace (PC)

My quest to play every Apogee platformer continues.

Biomenace was their last EGA game, and they pulled all the stops here: tight controls, extra weapons, respawn points, non-linear levels, overall a polished experience. But it's older than Realms of Chaos, so there are still limited lives and you can only save at the beginning of each level.

Unfortunately this last problem is exacerbated by a high difficulty level in the last episode, which was not uncommon for the developer admittedly, but it's still very evident here. Enemies can shoot you from outside the screen, which forces the player to make his way through trial and error most of the time. And bosses can shoot you from an even longer distance. Expect to die a lot, often thinking "that was bullshit". The keys mechanic is also annoying, forcing you to retrace your steps a bit too often.

It's more fun than most, but could have been even better.

8/10

Only one I'm missing now is Crystal Caves. I really liked Secret Agent, so there's a good chance I'll like this one too.
  • Page

of 531 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.