Recently Completed Games Page 520

• Page

of 527 First / Last

• uiruki 26 Sep 2017 22:43:50 4,424 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    47) Steamworld Dig 2 - Switch - 4/5

Ends a bit abruptly, but great until that point. Perfect fit for the Switch.
  • Deleted user 27 September 2017 00:45:13
    FFXII Zodiac Age

When this was originally released I stopped playing about one third of the way in because it was just way too grindy. It and 13 are the only FF games I've ever failed to finish.

Finally rectified that tonight with the HD rerelease. The 4x speed option in battle took the edge off the grind somewhat, but there is still way too much trekking all over the world for my taste.

The world, the art, the music, the quality of the voice acting and dialog did a great job pulling me in and immersing me, and there were glimpses of great world building and character development, but at the same time it felt like for every 5 minutes of plot development I had to sit through 5 hours of trekking around battling repeatedly. Watching the final cut scenes, there were moments that seemed like they should carry a lot of weight, but they just didn't because I never really got to know the characters the way you normally would in an FF game - instead what I really knew intimately about them was what types of weapons and armors they could use (because the UI certainly doesn't help when you're deciding what to buy in the weapon shop) and what magic spells they knew.

As for the battle system, it's actually pretty good. For the first half of the game I was finding it really tough going, but then the gambit system clicked and with a few setup changes suddenly I didn't need to do anything because my team was an efficient killing machine. Which is very satisfying at first, but when you end up spending hours just watching your guys kill stuff without any input it gets old.

And then you have stuff like the hunts, which are often great, enjoyable tactical battles, but for every hunt you spend 5% of your time actually doing that battle, compared to the other 95% travelling between the clan headquarters to find out where the quest giver is, then to the quest giver to find out where the target is, then the actual target (often involving extra hassle like it only appearing in certain conditions which you often only get vague cryptic hints about), and back to the quest giver again to hand it in. Which is a microcosm of the game as a whole - some great moments but so much time wasting before the pay off.

I'd probably give it a 7/10 - some aspects are really, really good, but too many hours of the game were spent not really enjoying myself. Probably better than any FF that came after it, but not nearly as good as most that came before it.
  • Fourfoldroot 27 Sep 2017 08:27:41 2,406 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just finished Trails of Cold Steel 2. Cemented now as one of my favourite series of all time. Took around 100hrs to complete and, just like the first game, Iíve gone immediately into a second playthrough on Nightmare mode to get all the character events and remaining trophies. Canít wait for the final game in the trilogy.

9/10, just because it is almost too long.

Edited by Fourfoldroot at 08:28:14 27-09-2017
  • uiruki 27 Sep 2017 14:41:12 4,424 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Interesting timing since the Japanese version of the third game unlocks in 80 minutes!
  • Fourfoldroot 27 Sep 2017 20:10:54 2,406 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    Interesting timing since the Japanese version of the third game unlocks in 80 minutes!
    Really? Will be waiting for a version I understand (and the voice acting has always been top notch). Plus Iíll be replaying for the plat anyway (so another 50hrs game time or so). Hopefully it reviews well, but as long as itís more of the same Iíll be happy
  • uiruki 27 Sep 2017 21:13:52 4,424 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hour and a half in, it seems to be. Except it's pretty much at a constant 60fps on my Pro and loading into battle is instant. Very good stuff.
  • LionheartDJH 27 Sep 2017 22:07:24 19,782 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Vortex808 if you've got limited gaming time I would recommend not doing most of the side quests in Andromeda and sticking to the main story and character loyalty missions. Generally the side quests are boring filler and on reflection I'd have preferred to complete the game in half the time and spent the other 30 hours or so playing another game!
  • Fourfoldroot 27 Sep 2017 22:17:37 2,406 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    Hour and a half in, it seems to be. Except it's pretty much at a constant 60fps on my Pro and loading into battle is instant. Very good stuff.
    Glad to hear it - a definite buy. Looks like it isnít ending with 3 either and we may get a couple more instalments...
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 27 Sep 2017 22:31:44 2,122 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Starcraft: Remastered Edition (base-game campaign, not Brood War) - 7/10

I know it's a classic and all that, but was the pathfinding really always that bad?

Decent remaster, though. Looks decent in 4k.
  • Malek86 27 Sep 2017 22:47:34 6,455 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Rogueywon I'm pretty sure they changed absolutely nothing gameplay-wise (since there's multiplayer with players on the original version), so yeah, I guess it was always that bad.
  • JoeBlade 27 Sep 2017 22:56:49 4,119 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    I know it's a classic and all that, but was the pathfinding really always that bad?
    Truth be told, yes, I remember that vividly. Original Starcraft and Brood War were micromanagement nightmares if you played anything above very casual level.

You needed ungodly APM to be any good at the game, to the point of controlling every single unit individually all the time.

Edited by JoeBlade at 22:57:20 27-09-2017
  • Mr_Sleep 27 Sep 2017 23:13:50 21,389 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Truth be told, yes, I remember that vividly. Original Starcraft and Brood War were micromanagement nightmares if you played anything above very casual level.

You needed ungodly APM to be any good at the game, to the point of controlling every single unit individually all the time.
    One of my favourite examples of path finding was when I was playing Supreme Commander against a mate of mine and he had made an absolutely huge army that he sent my way in one big group to a somewhat undefended area and they all promptly walked in single file the whole way leading to my couple of turrets fucking his force up completely.
  • pyper777 27 Sep 2017 23:26:52 110 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sonic Mania 9/10

Bought today and beat on first attempt (had no game overs).
    Great Sonic game (even with weird choice of retro levels), Sonic goes fast a lot with slight over use of long loop and slope sections.

Look forward to fully original sequel.
  • uiruki 27 Sep 2017 23:30:59 4,424 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Fourfoldroot wrote:
    uiruki wrote:
    Glad to hear it - a definite buy. Looks like it isnít ending with 3 either and we may get a couple more instalments...
    I'd suspected that they wouldn't be able to wrap everything up with this one, they'd have to make a 200 hour game and bring back everyone from the previous games too. Enjoying the new battle stuff, Orders look powerful and the new rechargeable special field attack is a nice way to break up the pace of attacking an enemy twice in the front and then scampering behind to try and daze them. The break system could make boss tactics very interesting too.
  • Vortex808 28 Sep 2017 16:58:23 11,743 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    @Vortex808 if you've got limited gaming time I would recommend not doing most of the side quests in Andromeda and sticking to the main story and character loyalty missions. Generally the side quests are boring filler and on reflection I'd have preferred to complete the game in half the time and spent the other 30 hours or so playing another game!
    Aye, I've tried a few of the quests given out and most of the other ones on Eos have been pretty generic fetch/scan/kill quests. I don't know if there's a way to tell what's likely to happen and how interesting they might be, but I do think main quests and speaking to my crew will be the way to go to be honest.

Ideally, I want to get this done before Nov to leave time free for some new games and I'd also like to get back to Persona 5 at some point too. I doubt that'll happen though!

I'd quite like to play some titanfall2 at some point too. Essentially, life needs to slow down as I'm just not able to stay up as late as I used to at weekends now to make up some gaming time!
  • coomber 29 Sep 2017 14:41:32 417 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Horizon: Zero Dawn

Great game. Bit buggy, and the game suffers from some pop-in from time to time, but the gameplay is always top notch.

8/10
  • JoelStinty 30 Sep 2017 16:59:40 5,910 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle.

A very charming game, that offers a nice and comfortable, although at times challenging (although not so difficult) tactical turn based game, with some nice fun exploration in between stages.

It's quite lengthy - completion time coming in at 30-35 hours to complete the main game, and it just about felt fresh all the way through, last world i got a bit eager to complete it, but i have that with most games. Got a few collectibles and challenges left to do which i will do as a side to playing other games. The graphics are great, soundtrack delightful, and the presentation .. well not amazing but does the job and makes things easy to read and accessible.

4.5/5
  • wobbly_Bob 1 Oct 2017 16:05:40 4,268 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Steamworld dig 2

Enjoyed the first very much and this is good too although i think i prefer the simplicity of the digging on the first game which just have you the earth to go digging in.

There are some platform elements now too and the charcter controlls like a sack of fucking shit. You get upgrades later in the game that fix things but until then rrrrrrrr!

Overall very good. It seems to set up for a third one so I'll be getting that based on my enjoyment of this.
  • wobbly_Bob 1 Oct 2017 16:25:14 4,268 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    gogames wrote:
    Check the new youtube gaming channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV-NbfNy9HYMvSdpgplq9hw
    No. And do please piss off.
  • Malek86 5 Oct 2017 22:46:15 6,455 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Witcher 3 (PC)

Ok, so the exploration side is a bit Elder Scrolls-ish this time, but the quests are less numerous (but overall much better). Unlike so many other games, the moral choices were actually interesting. And the story was good. And the characters and dialogue were great too. So rare to see a WRPG actually build its characters.

The combat worked better than the previous games, but it was a bit too easy overall. The Gourmet skill is pretty much a cheat code, I'm surprised it can be unlocked right from the beginning. It makes vitality potions completely useless. I think the game has a lot of cool stuff to play with, but doesn't give you much of a reason to try anything other than standard sword combat + basic signs.

But in the end, the combat is good enough, and everything else is top notch.

9/10

Still need to play the DLCs, but after 93 hours of wading through rhetorical sewage (man, Temeria is one big pile of manure), I'm gonna take a break first. Need something chirpier right now. Forza Horizon 3 should be the thing.

Edited by Malek86 at 22:48:40 05-10-2017
  • Negan 5 Oct 2017 23:02:01 372 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    The Walking Dead s1

I've never played a telltale game before and I absolutely adore twd. I was expecting them to do a Disney approach and make it all nice and gentle.

I was so wrong. There's some brutal choices to make and the developers get braver and more confident with the story telling and choices with each chapter. The ending to the game is a thing of genius.

Loved it.

9/10
  • ardamillo 6 Oct 2017 06:14:37 600 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nier Automata

One of those games that reminds me why I love games. Wild and crazy and brutal - I forgot how exciting it is to feel like anything could happen next, and even better, to not be disappointed afterwards. It's a bit scrappy here and there and it pissed me off a couple of times, but hey, it touched my jaded gaming heart and for that all is forgiven :)
  • RyanDS 6 Oct 2017 12:52:18 11,670 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Persona 4 Golden.

2nd playthrough this time aiming for all the bonus content, true endings etc. I fucked it up though and finished with 107 hours on the clock and every single S-Link at full apart from 1. One fucking S-Link which I finished on 8. I wish I had used a guide, but even with that niggle this was an utter pleasure to play through again.

I loved every second of interacting with friends, learning peoples histories and so on. And this time I found the ending satisfactory, what with actually getting an epilogue and closure.

10/10 and almost certainly my favourite RPG ever.
  • coomber 6 Oct 2017 13:58:27 417 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

Brilliant. Classic Uncharted. Took just 7 hours to play, and I certainly didn't rush through, but it is effectively dressed-up DLC so didn't mind that it was a bit short.

There was some pretty awful drop in frame rates during the cracking final sequence, but other than that, flawless.

9/10
  • wuntyphyve 6 Oct 2017 15:54:16 9,647 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Prey

That was bloody brilliant.

10/10
  • ghearoid 6 Oct 2017 20:40:27 2,712 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    NSW Breath of the Wild

Awesome, awesome game. Astonishing really. Just realised that it's the first Zelda game I've ever completed! Thoroughly enjoyed every moment.

10/10 :)
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 6 Oct 2017 20:44:21 2,122 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @RyanDS Just started my P4G new game+. Aiming for 100% social link completion, but even with social stats already maxed from NG I'm expecting it to be tight.

Still can't believe I got 100% confidants in P5 on NG. And on the last possible day to boot.
  • Nanocrystal 7 Oct 2017 01:05:11 1,615 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dark Souls 3 - 10/10
    Finished it again for the umpteenth time but it was my first time playing the DLCs. Both were brilliant. Ashes of Ariandel was a great little enclosed world with decent variety, some really good gear and an awesome final boss fight. Ringed City was even better with some absolutely stunning level design, engaging lore and the "world's end" theme tying really well into the main game. I think the DLCs make DS3 overall a much better game, particularly as you can access one of them fairly early, giving you more options and making it feel less linear. Puts DS3 almost on par with DS1 and BB for me. Really, really impressed and already looking forward to rolling a new build.
  • Gazza 7 Oct 2017 09:34:05 37 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UNCHARTED LOST LEGACY

took me around 9 hours - really took my time - plus these days I just don't have the same time I used to have dedicated to gaming.

In that regard the length was perfect, was great to actually complete something for once.

It really is just more uncharted 4 in gameplay terms which at first is a bit disappointing but for once I found the story actually meant something? Chloe and Nadine's relationship develops very organically throughout the whole use of surname to first name changing the banter between them is hilarious and graphics and set peices with India as the background was more interesting than anything in the series with the personal connection to Chloe.

There is lots to actually discuss with this but I would really love them to leave uncharted here! it was a nice sign off. 8/10

Hellblade next!

Edited by Gazza at 09:35:55 07-10-2017
  • Page

of 527 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.