Recently Completed Games Page 519

• Page

of 522 First / Last

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Sep 2017 13:23:23 1,688 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Mola_Ram Suspect I'll ditch Jaheira in BG2. Fighter/Druid multi-class always struck me as being spectacularly pointless. Got through BG1 and SoD with my main class as Ranger, but that was always with the intention of dual-classic to Cleric as soon as I hit BG2. So healing is sorted on that front anyway.

Not decided properly on my BG2 companions yet, but most likely to be Imoen (for story reasons), Minsc, Keldorn, Nalia and Yoshimo (until... that... happens).
  • Mola_Ram 10 Sep 2017 13:34:20 16,161 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    When I did the Enhanced Editions recently, I went full evil. So, in the first game it was me, the psychotic dwarf with a name that begins with K in the first town, Edwin, Viconia, Dorn, and uhhh... Montaron? I had a thief in there somewhere, might have been him.

For BG2 I kept Edwin, Viconia and Dorn, and added the other psychotic dwarf with a name that begins with a K, the vampire, and the tiefling bard.

Playing evil was... hard. I used a mod that stops the usual "shops won't sell you anything if your reputation sucks" thing, because that's just annoying. But it was still hard having bounty hunters come after you (only to cause even more reputation loss when you defend yourself).

Edited by Mola_Ram at 13:37:17 10-09-2017
  • uiruki 10 Sep 2017 13:53:26 4,400 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    44) Sora no Kiseki FC Evolution - Vita - 4/5

Slow start, but picks up a lot. The high speed auto mode they added with this version helps a lot - took about 15 hours off my clear time compared to when I went through on PSP! Really benefits from full voice, particularly with Takehito Koyasu as Olivier and that final scene.
  • JoelStinty 11 Sep 2017 20:08:59 5,700 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Graceful Explosion Machine.

A decent little game. A side scrolling shoot em up, where each face button is a different weapon. Its responsive, and the movement...graceful. The game is colourful and it really pops off the switch's screen, combined with a good electronic soundtrack it is great game to play with the headphones on in the dark. It is a well designed game across it's entirety. Enemies are clear and easy to see and iconic in their own way, your weapons are distinct, and the stages are well defined with clarity between play area and walls. The scrolling nature of the levels make for a quick and playable game that really encourages you to play for high combos and thus high scores. Every few stages new types of enemies are introduced, and the challenge gradually ramps up.

I've completed all the stages, now to go back and S rank them all.

There isn't much content, but the 5 or so hours of initial playtime to complete all stages is ok for a small price tag that it is on sale for (approx a £10). Hopefully new modes, worlds etc will get added over time.

4/5
  • uiruki 11 Sep 2017 20:23:13 4,400 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    45) Ys VIII - PS4 - 5/5

My favourite game of last year, but better in every way (except convenience).
  • superbob85 11 Sep 2017 21:07:57 7,872 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Walking dead episode 3 enjoyed the character progression between the survivors. Seems to be coming together at a nice pace. First play through in a couple of years still feels new to me in a strange way.
  • Kazuhira 12 Sep 2017 02:46:51 32 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    I managed to finish Silver Surfer on the NES the other day after 20-odd years. I have no sense of accomplishment but instead a sense of anguish that I could have been doing something better with my time, like playing with fire or traffic.
  • superbob85 13 Sep 2017 18:50:33 7,872 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The walking dead season 1 still fantastic great story progression between the characters as the episodes go on. Typical of telltale for it run horribly on console though. 8/10
  • Darth_Flibble 13 Sep 2017 19:10:10 2,808 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Recore Definitive Edition

Did take a break from it, as mentioned was enjoying at the start but the eden tower which is the last bit in the game is awful. I think they lowered the amount of cores you need to get in but you need to be a certain level not to be killed by the boss at the start, robots on the 5 floors then the end boss. SO you need to grind although the extra map added in the DE helps to level up. But the 5 floors to get to the final boss are so painful as they repetitive, sometimes bastard hard but you eventually get past them as its die, repeat, die, repeat, then finally get past it. Its just done as padding, its a real cunty move by developers as makes the end into painful experience.

Also lots of bugs still in this "Definitive Edition" one me and my mate both find on one of the last floors then if you don't know how to get past this glitch, you have fast travel out and go back and start this floor again. Also still unbalanced at times

Real shame apart from the gripes above, there is good stuff but amateur game design hour brings the score down

5.5/10
  • DangerousDave_87 13 Sep 2017 21:42:59 2,471 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @JoelStinty Hander you tried the bonus stages? The ones which involve completing an entire world in one go are tough. Especially if you're going for a high score.
  • JoelStinty 14 Sep 2017 12:18:51 5,700 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nah not yet, i might have to give them a go, although i might save them for another day. I noticed that your high scores... are rather high! I can do entire levels in one go, but i lack style it seems :|
  • ardamillo 15 Sep 2017 02:33:46 585 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Knack 2

Maybe it's the afterglow but I think this game has been hugely underrated. I finished it in about 15 hours over 5 nights, which is way more than I usually play games. It's so well paced, mixing platforming, melee combat and light puzzling, that it was hard to stop playing. And they do a great job of introducing new environments and moves at the exact moment you start to tire of the old ones.

I'm not saying it's a masterpiece but it's like a super polished version of one of those B tier PS1/N64 era platformers. Plus it looks great and the soundtrack is top notch.

8/10
  • Bichii 16 Sep 2017 13:42:24 102 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Destiny 2.

Still tight. Still has a shit story. Still isn't very populated. Still has the stupid light system to level up.

However everything has been slightly improved over the original so all those negatives aren't as bad as they were.

The strikes are all excellent and the raid is good but a little disappointed with it.

PvP is improved but still has many flaws.

Presentation is outstanding throughout.

Just like the first there are no where near enough armour types for players to look different.

8.5/10

Edited by Bichii at 13:42:55 16-09-2017
  • Darth_Flibble 17 Sep 2017 19:05:06 2,808 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Witcher 3: Heart of stone expansion

Been playing for a while dipping in and out as didn't want to end, its really what Downloadable content should be, not some crappy shoved together, a couple of hours experience if you do everything use minimal new content.

A great new story and areas (although it does use the main map but there is area is new). The only negative I would have to say is difficulty spike early on, the first boss is really hard unless you know how to get around his attacks despite being past the recommend level for the quest. Also I got to optional fight and it was pretty brutal. But the main quests are so good and well done. Side quests are good as well

Onto Blood and Wine DLC, which is all new area and heard its the best expansion out of the 2

9.7/10
  • OllyJ 17 Sep 2017 21:23:26 3,886 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just Cause 3.

A lot of fun, but faaaar too much of it. I was sick of it by the end. Very repetitive.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 17 Sep 2017 21:45:42 1,688 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @OllyJ For me, that's the story of around 90% of open world games.
  • OllyJ 18 Sep 2017 09:54:53 3,886 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rogueywon Absolutely. The moment I finished the story missions I uninstalled it. Does every open world game need shite racing? 500 collectables etc?

At times the games was superb, definitely a case of less is more, really didn't need that huge map, it was one island too big I reckon.
  • Darth_Flibble 21 Sep 2017 22:27:03 2,808 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Lococyle

Its on GwG India (easy to get on the xbox marketplace) and heard it was a "terrible game" While its not a brilliant game there is some fun to have, it feels like arcade game you don't see anymore and its bit mad.

It was going to be kinect 360 game but got rushed out for xbox one launch and the graphics look rough even back at launch. Also they pad out the game with repetitive stuff you get bored of and later levels they space out the checkpoints (only really noticeable on one bit they throw loads of different enemies)

Really like how ridiculous it gets with the bike doing melee combo in mid air and the FMV. Real shame about the graphics and the padded out gameplay

6/10
  • Malek86 22 Sep 2017 12:49:55 6,114 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Journey Down (PC)

I got my backer key for chapter 3 yesterday, so I can finally see how the whole trilogy stands.

It's well worth playing imho. There are highs and lows, the peak is in the second chapter for sure. The first chapter is too short, while the third chapter is too easy and spells almost everything out for the player. It also has a bit too much exposition, which was probably necessary to wrap too many things up in one single last game.

But the characters are ace, not just the main duo but everyone else too. And that's one of the most important things in an adventure. The story is pretty engaging overall, if not very original. The voice acting is nice enough and the visuals, albeit low budget, manage to bring the whole thing to life.

I liked how the final puzzle in the game is a throwback to the very first puzzle in the series. I'm a sucker for nostalgic stuff like that (and yeah, the first chapter came out in 2010, so it's been a long time)

8/10 and Recommended for old-school adventure fans who don't mind a somewhat reduced challenge in favor of hilarious characters.

Edited by Malek86 at 12:50:28 22-09-2017
  • DrStrangelove 23 Sep 2017 01:50:54 11,039 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Saints Row IV

A few years ago, I completed SR3 a few times (loved that one), but in 4 made it only to 80% or so, probably because I was getting increasingly annoyed. Recently I played through 3 again and today I finished 4.

And while it's certainly not bad game, it's just disappointing compared to 3. The superpowers are fun, at least early in the game, but the problem is that they make vehicles obsolete, which strips what's basically a GTA clone of one of GTA's core appeals. Navigating the city with super running and jumping just isn't the same as doing it in cars, helicopters or hoverbikes. It kinda breaks the game.

The super powers also make combat a bit too frantic for my liking. It's more difficult to keep track of what's going on, especially late in the game where difficulty is achieved with masses of constantly respawning enemies it's just chaos most of the time.

SR3 managed to be whacky but still tell a coherent story, the whole package just felt connected. Not so SR4 which badly lacks focus, gives me no feeling at all for story progression and fools around too much, even by Saint's Row standards. Or to put it this way, while SR3 was whacky, SR4 is just nonsense. I also found more fun in fighting gangs, police and military than in fighting aliens.

And then, the mini-games. Some of SR3's mini-games were really broken, but most of them were fun. SR4's mini-games are broken too, and sadly they're less fun.

I started playing Gat Out of Hell for the first time now, I don't know if I'll like it, so far it seems less interesting than SR4, but we'll see.

Overall, I give SR3 9/10 and I'm sure I'll play it again in the future. I don't think I'll return to Saint's Row 4, which I give 8/10.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 01:56:40 23-09-2017
  • FuzzyDucky 23 Sep 2017 02:11:00 2,412 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @DrStrangelove Loved SR3, but hated 4. As you say, running about makes cars redundant. There's no nuance or skill to traversal, you basically tap jump to traverse half the city (which effectively ends up looking like a grid of squares underneath you).

I abandoned 4 because it hard crashed the PS4 a few times. For what it's worth, I did actually enjoy Gat Out of Hell.
  • DrStrangelove 23 Sep 2017 03:36:29 11,039 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One thing that annoys me straight away is that I can't customise my character. I don't want to play as Gat.

Not a complaint, but I also wonder why it chose my SR3 character for president instead of 4's.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 23 Sep 2017 07:52:19 1,688 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition (2-player co-op)

I've played through Icewind Dale and its expansions a couple of times before, but never co-op and never via the enhanced edition. It's still a fantastic game. The Icewind Dale games never quite got the recognition or following of Baldur's Gate or Planescape Torment, but that's a pity, because they certainly measure up to their more famous Infinity Engine siblings.

Icewind Dale is also more multiplayer-friendly than Baldur's Gate and its sequel. The tighter focus and emphasis on dungeon crawling gives a lot more raw gameplay-time compared to conversation/shopping time, meaning that you don't have so many periods where one player's doing the talking/interaction and everybody else is just spectating (for reference, back in my uni-days I was part of a 6-player BG2 co-op run, which was an interesting experiment but not one I'd repeat).

Anyway, we finished the co-op run in 61 hours, including both expansions (Heart of Winter and Trial of the Luremaster). Luremaster is possibly a bit weaker than the other content. It was released as a free expansion-to-the-expansion following complaints that Heart of Winter, at around 8-10 hours in length, was too short. Luremaster compensates by being a bloody long and complex dungeon with the difficulty cranked up to insane levels. But such a high level of difficulty can be irritating in co-op and the xp/loot rewards are underwhelming.

The Enhanced Edition touch-up is generally ok. I certainly wouldn't want to have to try mucking around with routers and firewalls to get the old netcode working, so the new multiplayer backend is welcome. Other than that, Icewind Dale is probably the "lightest touch" of the Beamdog remakes. It's buggier than I would like in places, particularly in multiplayer, but at least unlike the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions there isn't a load of wanky fanfiction-level original content shoehorned in (and there are also a few nice convenience/quality of life touches).

Scores

Icewind Dale (base game): 9.5/10
    Heart of Winter: 9/10
    Trial of the Luremaster: 7/10
  • Malek86 23 Sep 2017 12:13:38 6,114 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Jak & Daxter (PS4)

Most irritating platformer I've ever played. So many things seem designed specifically to annoy you. No easy way to travel between stages, the camera is a pain and even makes it difficult to measure distances for jumping, Jak runs too slowly, the health system makes no sense, and checkpoints aren't always in the best places.

The first half was okay, the second half was just was just a chore.

I also heard that the PS3 versions fixed a lot of bugs, but the PS4 simply emulates the original game, and all of the bugs have remained, including one that almost screwed me out of several gold trophies near the end. Luckily I made it through... thanks to a different bug. What the hell did Naughty Dogs do with this game?

5/10
  • Kovacs77 23 Sep 2017 22:54:58 544 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just finished Soma. Wow, absolutely loved it. I think I enjoyed it more than Prey or Bioshock, both of which it reminded me of a lot.
  • uiruki 24 Sep 2017 19:58:19 4,400 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    46) Dungeon Travelers 2-2 - Vita - 3/5

80 hours. Should have been closer to 50, I think. With battle system/XP gain tweaks it could easily have been that, too. Lots of good character moments and an overall great battle system but a weak main story, an initially unlikable protagonist and some problems still not fixed from the previous version bring it down.
  • GeezaTap 26 Sep 2017 08:35:16 335 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Steamworld Dig 2 - Switch

Non-100% finished this last night, or hit 'Any % completion' as the cool kids say. The game said my playthrough was just under 6 hours, although it felt a lot longer (in a good way).

As I read in one the reviews, despite having seen the credits, I'm itching to explore further to try and mop up the secrets. It's a great game, although I could have down without the gaslight being so weak at the start of the game as it kills the momentum for the first hour or so.

Strong 4/5 for me.
  • mrpon 26 Sep 2017 08:53:39 33,620 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Geez, is it just more of the same?
  • GeezaTap 26 Sep 2017 10:39:03 335 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @mrpon couldn't tell you. I only noticed the other day I have the first one that has went unplayed in my PS+ library.

The first one was procedurally generated levels while this one hasn't (to help with the Metroidvania qualities) if that helps at all.

Already had my £15 quid worth of fun as well.
  • Nitrous 26 Sep 2017 15:41:17 1,506 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)

Visually stunning even on a base PS4. I've done most of the side quests and then stuck to the main missions. 50 hours and I'm done. The DLC will have to be good for me to consider a return as the combat became repetitive towards the end.

8/10
  • Page

of 522 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.