Recently Completed Games Page 518

• Page

of 521 First / Last

• Billy-Daniels 31 Aug 2017 12:40:58 51 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    You've sold it to me, been considering picking this up for a while.

I mainly play open world games so I'm used to ignoring pointless collectibles and stupidly long load times. Plot/stories do nothing for me, I'm more interested in gameplay and this sounds right up my street. Thanks for the write-up.
  • FrostPan 2 Sep 2017 20:40:49 1,362 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Red Dead Redemption

I didn't bother with it back then as I had the ending (not the very end) spoiled for me, but 7 years on I decided to finally play it.

Great game overall.
    Decent story, with generally superb dialogue. I thought the majority of the side characters were unlikeable (apart from Harold MacDougal). I'm sure some of them were intentional though.

Gameplay was great fun. Did a lot of the bounty hunts, but not much of the gambling games, apart from Liar's Dice. I did all the strangers missions too.
    While I did enjoy doing the stranger missions, I wished that the majority of them didn't have such depressing outcomes.

I also unfortunately didn't get that wow moment when arriving at Mexico, as the song didn't play for me]. I didn't even know that was meant to happen until I did some research after finishing it, as I was sure I missed something. Disappointing.

I'll get to Undead Nightmare eventually.

8/10
  • JoelStinty 2 Sep 2017 20:44:31 5,681 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Final Fantasy 12.

Its good. Probably not great though.

It is a weird game. One with plenty of ambition, but one that probably creaks underneath it. It is actually pretty concise in terms of gameplay - and compared to the modern age there is actually little bloat, which is actually quite weird - it is something i praised I am sestsuna for, but for a game of Final fantasy calibre i think i would have liked the game to be broken up a bit more - there are hunts but they are pretty basic. The game does fall into the go here , story, go there trap and i don't think there is enough charm in the game to paper over that. The cast are good, the story starts of pretty promising, but it never quites capitalises on that promise. It goes a bit..well final fantasy. Which i guess is the point, but it never quite as interesting as the politicking early on (Even if it is hard to keep up with it).

Enjoyable, is slightly boring at times.

3/5

P.s I am also now re-considering the whole franchise as a whole. I was a massive FF fanboy back in the day, but 13, 15 (even though it is weirdly shit and amazing at the same time) have tarnished the series reputation quite badly. I loved 7 and 9. 8 left me a little cold. Replayed 7 last year and it hasn't aged well, which i guess is unfair , but i understand its criticism a lot more now, it's pacing is all over the place for example. 6 i never quite got - though want to replay. I have 3 and 4 on the ds, but never finished them. I don't quite know what i feel about the series anymore. oh yeah 10!, which i really liked at the time. Haven't replayed it though.

But because it is a series that is continuing to try and stay relevant - and constant changing what it is trying to be and do in the face of a modern market it feels at the moment some of its games are lost in time. perhaps.

Edited by JoelStinty at 20:48:42 02-09-2017
  • monsieur-Cosmo 3 Sep 2017 13:27:40 337 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    RAGE (PC) : only 6 years late, but I don't mind. I usually play older games...
    I enjoyed it, but in the end it kinda got old. Same missions, shooting same enemies over and over and over. Once I found out the side missions did not provide any bonuses, I stopped doing them. I see why the ending was kinda rage-inducing (sorry) for people, but I couldn't care less. I'm not too fond of super hard bosses and just wanted the game to end.
    Overall a solid 7/10

Fun fact: In-game clock says I played above 10 hours, Steam says I played 20 hours. Which one should I believe?

Edited by monsieur-Cosmo at 09:31:13 04-09-2017
  • kentmonkey 3 Sep 2017 14:37:08 22,314 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @monsieur-Cosmo steam.

In-game clocks rarely take account of cut scenes, time spent in menus or paused sessions.
  • killersrquiet 3 Sep 2017 14:37:53 3,138 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tomb Raider: Rise of the tomb raider

Very similar to be reboot with better tombs and gorgeous visuals on Ps4 Pro. More of the same with improvement suits me fine since I loved the reboot as well.

9 / 10
  • killersrquiet 3 Sep 2017 14:39:29 3,138 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dishonored 2.

My first introduction to Dishonored and also Arkane. The art direction and level design were easily the best I've encountered in a single player game. General gameplay was fantastic and the story wasn't too shabby either.

9/10
  • killersrquiet 3 Sep 2017 14:46:13 3,138 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Prey.

Held off picking this up until Arkane fixed the frame pacing problems on the Pro.

What did I end up with? Quite simpmy my game of the year. Art direction and level design so good I spend about 30+ hours soaking it all in (pretty sure I could have completed the story in 12 hours)

Prey has several nods to BioShock and System Shock 2. It's also a game that happy for you figure things out for yourself whilst giving the player multiple ways to complete an objective.

It's such a shame to me that Dishonored 2 and Prey haven't exactly sold that well. Arkane really are a talented studio.

10/10
  • eshy76 3 Sep 2017 15:14:28 83 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gravity Rush 2 (PS4 Pro)

I really loved the first one and this is definitely more of the same. Same quirky, whimsical world, same great central gravity manipulation mechanic. Traversal remains this series' standout strength. Kat remains a great main character and the offbeat humour is thankfully intact. On the negative side, it is a bit too similar to the first - the enemies you face especially which can be a bit repetitive. The side missions were not strong or varied enough for me to go for 100% completion. Finally the cel shaded graphic style looked a little washed out to me.

But all in all I really enjoyed my 30 hour play through, even if the next game will have to innovate more to hold interest.

8/10
  • eshy76 3 Sep 2017 15:22:32 83 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4 Pro)

Really enjoyable extension to U4. The lack of Drake was not an issue at all - Chloe is a great lead character and the relationship between her and Nadine was brilliantly done. It is a drop dead gorgeous game and India is a lush setting. Gameplay wise, this is Uncharted 4, except for one open world level, which was nice in terms of choosing which order to do objectives in. The action gameplay is aging though, it can get fiddly when a gunfight breaks out - I think Tomb Raider has better gunplay. Some of the set piece sequences were breathtaking, but were like a best hits of the series...suggesting the developers are running out of mileage on this franchise?

Great fun - nice bite sized 10 hours with fair price to match, only marred by slight lack of new ideas.

8/10
  • Syrette 3 Sep 2017 15:26:51 49,091 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Nathan Drake not being in it is one of the best things about it, never mind it being an issue.
  • Carlo 3 Sep 2017 19:27:29 19,838 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    killersrquiet wrote:
    Prey.
    Quite simpmy my game of the year. Art direction and level design so good I spend about 30+ hours soaking it all in (pretty sure I could have completed the story in 12 hours)

10/10
    I'm with you on this sentiment. I finished it today today, and can't understand why people aren't raving about this. It's excellent.

I can only imagine it had some issues at launch, and people have already moved on even though the performance issues have been eliminated.
  • H1ggyLTD 3 Sep 2017 19:30:04 7,477 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was watching HatchetJob play it earlier, and it perhaps looked a little too similar to Bioshock...?
  • Stranded87 3 Sep 2017 19:36:28 1,626 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mimics lose their novelty, the other enemies are largely crap, the nightmare is awful, it gets weaker towards the endgame and the story is decent but hardly brilliant. Also yeah, not overly original.

I really liked it, but those are some obvious issues with it I think that would have put people off. It's in my top 5 of the year. Just.
  • the_dudefather 3 Sep 2017 20:08:57 10,416 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    StarCraft 2: Legacy of the Void

Not as good as the previous 2 I think (played Zerg campaign last year and some of WOL recently), but a decent classic RTS. 6 years into the Starcraft 2 series, and it was starting to look a bit aged

Think I had a more fun going back to the Terran campaign briefly as I prefer how they play, and the Zerg campaign had a more interesting story and characters.

This one has Q from Star Trek in it though, so that's a nice bonus!

6/10 (would give the others a 8)
  • monsieur-Cosmo 3 Sep 2017 20:24:32 337 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Deadlight: Director's Cut (PC). An interesting side-scroller/platformer/puzzler/zombie shooter. Part Limbo/Inside, part Resident Evil, part Metal Gear Solid. Liked the art direction. Some rooms were really annoying to complete, in a "do it exactly this way or you die" manner. Also some running sections were tough. The ending was kind of meh, but overall an enjoyable if a bit too short experience. 7/10.

Edited by monsieur-Cosmo at 20:25:52 03-09-2017
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 Sep 2017 21:56:45 1,610 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @the_dudefather Yeah, I don't think Legacy of the Void is quite as good as the other two. It's by no means bad, but the story gets a bit bogged down. I actually liked Heart of the Swarm most, which is odd, as in story terms I found the Zerg missions a bit dull in the original Starcraft.

I think the "wise old space elves" thing that the Protoss basically conform to has been done a few too many times now. My heart sank when I saw that with only three factions in Dawn of War 3, they were wasting one on the Eldar.
  • Bichii 4 Sep 2017 01:45:18 97 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Stranded87 wrote:
    Mimics lose their novelty, the other enemies are largely crap, the nightmare is awful, it gets weaker towards the endgame and the story is decent but hardly brilliant. Also yeah, not overly original.st.
    Yeah I quit it about 2/3 in. Just got so bored after loving it at first. Enemies are so poor and combat mostly very dull.
  • coomber 4 Sep 2017 11:09:02 407 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Walking Dead Season 3

Another great game in the series. But it definitely needs to come up with some new ideas for the next season. The pointless QTEs are way past their sell by date.
  • Bichii 4 Sep 2017 21:17:51 97 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    DOOM (2016)

OMG what a game.

10/10
  • sirtacos 5 Sep 2017 03:03:17 8,002 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Telltale's Guardians of The Galaxy

At this point they're just taking the piss.

3/10

Tacoma

It's good if you enjoy linear, narrative-driven exploration games. It's not really my thing, but I still liked it.

7/10
  • FuzzyDucky 5 Sep 2017 07:38:13 2,394 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    FrostPan wrote:
    Red Dead Redemption

I didn't bother with it back then as I had the ending (not the very end) spoiled for me, but 7 years on I decided to finally play it.

Great game overall.
    Decent story, with generally superb dialogue. I thought the majority of the side characters were unlikeable (apart from Harold MacDougal). I'm sure some of them were intentional though.

Gameplay was great fun. Did a lot of the bounty hunts, but not much of the gambling games, apart from Liar's Dice. I did all the strangers missions too.
    While I did enjoy doing the stranger missions, I wished that the majority of them didn't have such depressing outcomes.

I also unfortunately didn't get that wow moment when arriving at Mexico, as the song didn't play for me]. I didn't even know that was meant to happen until I did some research after finishing it, as I was sure I missed something. Disappointing.

I'll get to Undead Nightmare eventually.

8/10
    Yeah the "wow" moment never triggered for me either.

Never finished it as I found the gameplay to be utterly one dimensional and some of the characters were such poor stereotypes to the point where I cringed at them.

Awful, turgid game and one of the most overhyped entries in the entire medium. World is wonderfully realised and that's about it.
  • Bionic_Pixel 5 Sep 2017 08:24:13 68 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

If you liked Uncharted 4, then The Lost Legacy amounts to an Essential purchase. No game is perfect, The Lost Legacy comes close. I found roughly 20% of the treasures, not that I made it my main aim. Definitely worth a second play through, if only to explore more, and locate more treasures.

9/10

If Naughty Dog had dropped the fight sequences, of which there are only a few, that require the player to respond to pressing on screen prompts ‘O’ ‘Square’ etc, then I would have awarded a 10/10

10/10 - Graphics
    10/10 - Animation
    10/10 - Audio
    10/10 - Programmers
    9/10 - Design

Uncharted 2 is the best in the series so far when it comes to the climbing. The grapple hook needs to work less like a Spider-man web.
  • dominalien 5 Sep 2017 08:34:10 8,252 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rise of the Tomb Raider on PS4 Pro.

I actually liked the story in this one, how it interwove her personal stuff with the save the world stuff. Lara herself is really annoying in her gushing empathy and unblemished character, but the other characters are OK, especially (is this really a spoiler) Jonah. Apart from that, it was much worse than the previous one. Locations are bland, the divide between the wildly empathic humanist and brutal, cold blooded killer even wider and padding ever-present.

Oh, and the figurine from the super fantastic collector's edition is tacky.

I did the final part on the Vita in remote play, which either speaks for the game's lack of difficulty or the strength of remote play, depending on where you stand. It looks nice in 4K, even more impressive on the Vita's screen.

meh/10

Edited by dominalien at 08:35:22 05-09-2017
  • Deleted user 5 September 2017 09:51:14
    Arms 8/10

I say completed as I have seen the credits but am still playing (and enjoying this. The grand prix's are brutal but I have managed to unlock ranked mode now and have been able to play a few games there. The lead time betweeen fights is ridiculous though :(.

Ff14 the realm reborn 9/10

First proper mmo and I have completed the main scenario and second year stuff. Absolutely loving the game (helped by some improvements made to make it easier to reach the newest expansion). Have put 150 hours in so far and can't see myself slowing down anytime soon.

Dark souls (again) - still one of the best games ever
  • Rhaegyr 5 Sep 2017 10:02:06 3,831 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Persona V

Finally.

The first 20-30 hours are great, the next 20-30 hours are good, the last 10-20 hours are an absolute slog. The ending drags on for way too long (and isn't really a satisfying conclusion) and the last two palaces outstay their welcome. None of the palace 'villains' compare to the first one (Kamoshida) and seem a little arbitrary - I never wanted to take them down like I did Kamoshida - half the time the Phantom Thieves were more annoying than the actual antagonists.

The good? Combat is fantastic, the art style and music are brilliant, the systems contained within the game work really well (who would've thought time management would be so fun?) and parts of the story are really interesting, particularly the more personal stories.

At times a 5/10, at others it was a 9/10.

7/10
  • Vortex808 10 Sep 2017 12:05:33 11,612 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dishonored 2.
    Took ages, mostly because I couldn't be bothered playing games much since about march, not because I didn't enjoy it. The return of darker nights seems to be helping my gaming inertia though.

I also like to explore *everywhere* if i can, so each level took a few nights with my limited time to play stuff.

However, it was most enjoyable and I can now try Mass Effect Andromeda. I hope that has been improved since release!
  • H1ggyLTD 10 Sep 2017 12:12:35 7,477 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Should have that finished by 2019.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Sep 2017 12:30:40 1,610 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

First time I've done an end-to-end playthrough of both the base game (including ToSC) and Dragonspear. When the EE first came out, I had several attempts at playing it through but was thwarted by bugs. Those have mostly been stomped now. I also did a standalone playthrough of Dragonspear, but just re-did it with the party I brought in from the base game.

Was also my first time doing BG1 with the "canonical" party (Protagonist, Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc, Dynaheir). Goddamit but Jaheira sucks.

Even with the Enhanced Edition, BG1 remains, as it always was, a fascinating but flawed prototype. The seeds of the brilliance that would become apparent in BG2 are there, but are buried under a number of dodgy design decisions. The early-game's wilderness crawling can be dull in places and the massive dump of quests once you reach the city of Baldur's Gate itself in Chapter 5 is badly paced. The xp cap is far too parsimonious (I hit shortly after finishing the expansion content, while still in Chapter 5 of the main game). Battles involving enemy mages become an exercise in frustration due to the completely overpowered nature of confuse/fear/stun spells. This isn't a criticism of the Enhanced Edition per se; rather, it's another reminder of how games often need more than one iteration to achieve greatness.

Dragonspear addresses some of the gameplay rough-edges of the main game, but its story and dialogue sadly remain badly written wanky fanfiction.

Scores... 7/10 for BG1:EE, dropping to 5/10 for Siege of Dragonspear.

Next up... BG2 (carrying over my party).
  • Mola_Ram 10 Sep 2017 13:17:45 16,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Jaheira indeed sucks in BG1. Good that she gets an upgrade for the second game.

I never really liked Dynaheir either. I always wanted to find some way of having both Minsc and Edwin in the party, but never managed to because of her. I had to save Edwin for my recent evil playthrough of the Enhanced Edition.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 13:23:17 10-09-2017
  • Page

of 521 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.