Recently Completed Games Page 515

• Page

of 517 First / Last

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 4 Aug 2017 13:11:14 1,423 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @coomber Bully is still the only 3d Rockstar game I've actually beaten, rather than getting bored of and drifting away from. I think the smaller, less impersonal setting really worked for me, compared to the GTA games and RDR. As with all Rockstar games, it has some pretty serious flaws around mission design, combat and checkpointing, but I still really enjoyed it.

But yes, not played it for years and suspect it hasn't aged all that gracefully.
  • Doomspoon 4 Aug 2017 14:45:33 2,825 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - Xbox One

I found it to be improved over the previous game in the series, there were still some odd weird bugs but it was more robust than Human Revolution. I've not really played the originals properly so can't compare it to those.

I enjoyed playing a stealthy, non-lethal build but this meant it took me a lot longer to play through than expected as doing so made things harder for me at times.

I like the story, it's very fitting with recent political events across the world. Some of the side missions were rather interesting and it was fun playing a more traditional detective role for a couple of them.

I didn't bother with anything that wasn't the main game so can't comment on the other modes and I didn't invest any time or effort into the external website/mobile app stuff (I'm still using a Windows phone so I didn't get much say in that anyway but I can't say it appealed).

Overall I enjoyed it a lot and would readily play a sequel.
  • JiveHound 4 Aug 2017 14:49:12 8,221 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    docrob wrote:
    SomaticSense wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:
    Yeah, more tombs, and hire someone who can write. Now *there's* a game with a terrible story, and no excuse for it. :)
    Personally speaking, I'd rather they get rid of everything but the tombs tbh. The rest of the game was ok, but the high points were definitely where it felt like the old games.

I always felt the 'not enough tombs' criticism levelled at the first reboot kind of missed the point.
    For me, they have removed everything that made the original series great. At heart they were puzzle games. Remember the 'Cistern' level in the original TR? Hardly any enemies and one of the most memorable I've ever played. TR2 was my favourite - there were enough human enemies to allow for satisfying combat, but not endless streams of them.

TR tried to ape Uncharted, which was successful in terms of sales, but cost the franchise its soul.
    I'm surprised a spiritual successor to the original hasn't taken to kickstarter yet.

I would definitely love a modern take on actual tombs.
  • Dgzter 4 Aug 2017 15:07:32 1,374 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    docrob wrote:
    SomaticSense wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:
    Yeah, more tombs, and hire someone who can write. Now *there's* a game with a terrible story, and no excuse for it. :)
    Personally speaking, I'd rather they get rid of everything but the tombs tbh. The rest of the game was ok, but the high points were definitely where it felt like the old games.

I always felt the 'not enough tombs' criticism levelled at the first reboot kind of missed the point.
    For me, they have removed everything that made the original series great. At heart they were puzzle games. Remember the 'Cistern' level in the original TR? Hardly any enemies and one of the most memorable I've ever played. TR2 was my favourite - there were enough human enemies to allow for satisfying combat, but not endless streams of them.

TR tried to ape Uncharted, which was successful in terms of sales, but cost the franchise its soul.
    I'm surprised a spiritual successor to the original hasn't taken to kickstarter yet.

The level that has always stuck in my mind from the original Tomb Raider is St Francis Folly, particularly the Atlas and Sword of Damocles rooms :)

To be fair, I have enjoyed the recent reboots of TR, but they don't hold a candle to the earlier entries, really. The sense of quiet isolation in the first game in particular, mixed with mildly interesting puzzle-solving (within a mythological or ancient history context) and fairly large and complex level design, really was quite a marvel.

I'd back a kickstarter focusing on those elements, with an explicit toning down of the combat, in a heart beat tbh
  • Switch024 4 Aug 2017 15:18:23 1,848 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dgzter wrote:
    The sense of quiet isolation in the first game in particular, mixed with mildly interesting puzzle-solving (within a mythological or ancient history context) and fairly large and complex level design, really was quite a marvel.
    Completely agree with you on this, it's what made Tomb Raider so great.
  • quadfather 4 Aug 2017 16:51:49 27,812 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So it's decided then. We need more tombs.
  • Fourfoldroot 4 Aug 2017 18:10:48 2,344 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @coomber Bully is still the only 3d Rockstar game I've actually beaten, rather than getting bored of and drifting away from. I think the smaller, less impersonal setting really worked for me, compared to the GTA games and RDR. As with all Rockstar games, it has some pretty serious flaws around mission design, combat and checkpointing, but I still really enjoyed it.

But yes, not played it for years and suspect it hasn't aged all that gracefully.
    I recently revisited the original through the PS4 emulation. Still a fantastic game and has actually aged very well due to it's art design and the fact GRA hasn't really added anything other than a larger freeform environment. Enjoyed it so much I got the plat. Still their best game for me.
  • docrob 4 Aug 2017 18:51:11 743 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dgzter wrote:
    JiveHound wrote:
    docrob wrote:
    SomaticSense wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:

The level that has always stuck in my mind from the original Tomb Raider is St Francis Folly, particularly the Atlas and Sword of Damocles rooms :)

To be fair, I have enjoyed the recent reboots of TR, but they don't hold a candle to the earlier entries, really. The sense of quiet isolation in the first game in particular, mixed with mildly interesting puzzle-solving (within a mythological or ancient history context) and fairly large and complex level design, really was quite a marvel.

I'd back a kickstarter focusing on those elements, with an explicit toning down of the combat, in a heart beat tbh
    Yes! I wanted to cite that level too, but I couldn't remember the name!
  • Bichii 4 Aug 2017 20:38:24 26 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    Hitman season one.

Still lots to do but I've finished the main missions maybe three times each. Brilliant game and I can't knock it too much except for a few bugs here and there and it's a bit too much trial and error. Great presentation through out and generally really solid A.i.

8/10
  • GoodForm 5 Aug 2017 17:16:15 1,562 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Pyre - lovely game, highly recommended.

Pyre reminds of The Banner Saga, my favorite RPGish visual novel type of game, paired with an arcade sports game like NBA Jam, rather than turnbased tactical fights.

If you can stand reading tomes worth of flowery and poetic language dripping with pathos and haughty attitude, and are willing to get past a slow start, then SuperGiant's latest game will be a treat.

Its hand-drawn graphics are beautiful to look at and fluidly animated. The original soundtrack is spectacular and stylish, drawing inspiration from countless genres. The vocals and instrumentations are top notch.

It's a visual novel about a band of heroes' quest to free themselves from exile, via competing in rites that resemble basketball, just with lots of flourishes, such as quite deep RPG leveling and itemization, and various classes/characters complete with unique skills and playstyles.

The narrative is full of charming and quirky characters that are well developed. Friend and foe, all with their own fleshed-out arcs. The cast grew on me, and I cared about all of them.

If you are willing to read, you aught to become The Reader.

Edited by GoodForm at 07:07:34 06-08-2017
  • SomaticSense 6 Aug 2017 10:44:29 15,041 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    So it's decided then. We need more tombs.
    Nope.

The same rote Uncharted formula with more tomb side quests is not what we need. That complaint was often directed at the first reboot, and they listened to that feedback and gave people exactly what they asked for: more tombs.

What I think people actually mean when they say that, is that they would prefer a modernised take actual Tomb Raider, where the whole game is about exploration, isolation, thick atmosphere, environmental puzzles, and maybe sometimes a bit of combat. 3% more of that in another by-the-numbers 'modern' third-person shooter is not filling that gap at all.

Edited by SomaticSense at 10:44:41 06-08-2017
  • quadfather 6 Aug 2017 10:52:14 27,812 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's in tombs tho innit?
  • JonFE 6 Aug 2017 11:16:56 1,728 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @SomaticSense I couldn't say it better myself.

While I have enjoyed the reboot -but yet to complete its sequel- I'd love to play a game
    about exploration, isolation, thick atmosphere, environmental puzzles, and maybe sometimes a bit of combat

Maybe they should port Tomb Raider 4 over their engine and see how it's done...
  • Darth_Flibble 6 Aug 2017 11:24:50 2,751 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Imo, The tombs need to the main levels like in the old games not some 5 minute side mission. Trouble is,publishers want to appeal the casual gamer who just wants to gun loads of enemies down in the first 5 minutes of game
  • TheMilkman 6 Aug 2017 12:42:23 549 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That game, Rime, sort of scratches that old Tomb Raider itch. Obviously the theme is completely different, but its the same in that its all about working out how to go forward.
  • killersrquiet 6 Aug 2017 18:55:03 3,126 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dishonored 2.

Fantastic game with a good mix of stealth and action. I just loved the art style it's easily one of the games high points.

9/10
  • killersrquiet 6 Aug 2017 18:58:31 3,126 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rise of the tomb Raider.

I really liked the reboot and this is pretty much what I would want from a follow up. I would agree the story when your approach to into lacked any real focus. That being said, the action was good and stealthy (I used the bow mainly), we had more tombs and I enjoyed exploring each area.

9/10
  • Bichii 6 Aug 2017 18:59:46 26 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    @killersrquiet corvo or the empress? High or low? Need to go back and finish off my second play through.
  • killersrquiet 6 Aug 2017 19:20:23 3,126 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    @killersrquiet corvo or the empress? High or low? Need to go back and finish off my second play through.
    Corvo with a large dose of high chaos :-)
  • Bichii 6 Aug 2017 19:29:53 26 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    Nice. So far I've done empress high choas and got half way through empress low chaos then I plan to try out corvo. Currently playing hitman and literally just purchased inside.
  • -HairyArse 6 Aug 2017 21:22:22 961 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Should probably play the first game properly at some point.
  • uiruki 6 Aug 2017 23:49:06 4,331 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Been a while since I finished something - the last month or so has been a funny one.

39) Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age - PS4 - 4/5

Falls away a bit at the end (what's going on with the last area?!) but overall really strong. Great audio. The speed setting really makes it work.
  • GarlVinland 7 Aug 2017 09:38:47 1,816 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    Been a while since I finished something - the last month or so has been a funny one.

39) Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age - PS4 - 4/5

Falls away a bit at the end (what's going on with the last area?!) but overall really strong. Great audio. The speed setting really makes it work.
    How's the cast? One look at Vaan turned me off playing the game, but then you hear how it's the best, or at least has the best combat, of the modern FF's...
  • GarlVinland 7 Aug 2017 09:43:02 1,816 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @GoodForm how deep does the roster in Pyre go and how well differentiated are they, playstyle-wise? From what I could tell from the starter 3, it was mainly speed and size of aura that differed, but obviously that's just the starter 3. Only played the first couple of matches so far but it's beautiful.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 7 Aug 2017 10:04:40 1,423 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @GarlVinland Balthier, Fran, Ashe and Basch are all good and entertaining characters and as good a main party as you will find anywhere in the Final Fantasy series. Vaan and Penelo were basically forced upon the design team by a Square-Enix executive team worried that the game needed more marketable leads. They are, therefore, boring, generic and irritatingly perky.

Fortunately, after the first few hours of the game (where you do get rather too much Vaan), they also largely fade into the background for most story scenes. In so far as FF12 has a real lead (and it's really more of an ensemble-cast affair like FF6 than something with a single protagonist like FF7, FF8 or FF9), said lead is either Ashe or Balthier.

Balthier is particularly fun, assisted by what's probably the best English-language voice acting that the series has seen. Think an upper-class English Han Solo.
  • GarlVinland 7 Aug 2017 11:36:58 1,816 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rogueywon Cool, no reason to hold back from playing it then. Wanna try out that Gambit system, sounds a gas.
  • SomaticSense 7 Aug 2017 11:54:58 15,041 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    Imo, The tombs need to the main levels like in the old games not some 5 minute side mission. Trouble is,publishers want to appeal the casual gamer who just wants to gun loads of enemies down in the first 5 minutes of game
    Exactly. That's a way more succinct and accurate way of putting it.
  • Malek86 7 Aug 2017 12:15:40 5,804 posts
    Seen 27 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Would a game like the old Tomb Raider even work today?

Consider for example TR1 (the only one I've actually finished). Part of the reason why it was so long, was because Lara moved relatively slowly, and each jump had to be carefully calculated lest you fell to your death and had to reload the last savedata. Not to mention Lara seemed to have a whole lot of trouble sidestepping for some reason.

If you put that kind of level design into the modern Tomb Raider, with auto-grabbing, jump correction, sprint, checkpoints, etc. you'd be able to breeze through those same levels a lot faster.

The puzzles weren't all that either. Mostly just, find the key, or find the switch, with some precise platforming and annoying gun combat in between. Again, with no need for precise platforming, and no slow gun combat either, what would be left exactly?

Edited by Malek86 at 12:17:55 07-08-2017
  • quadfather 7 Aug 2017 12:22:13 27,812 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Exploring tombs? :)

I suppose you can't just have tomb after tomb without something innovative happening as well.

You definitely need the isolation and exploring, but that's more to do with the atmosphere. You still need something to actually do, as a reason for doing it all in the first place. Otherwise, it's going to end up like the chalice dungeons in Bloodborne.

I'm playing Axiom verge at the moment, and while it's miles apart, story and setting wise, it does have the isolation, exploration and all those other things mentioned. It just doesn't do it in tombs.

In fact, that's what we need. We need an updated Axiom verge in a tomb raiding environment. Bingo!
  • SomaticSense 7 Aug 2017 12:24:37 15,041 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Why would it not?

Atmospheric exploration-focused games like Dark Souls and The Last Guardian feel a lot closer to old TR than new TR does, and they work well in the modern climate. There's plenty of potential for the old formula to be improved and modernised.

Hell RotTR's tombs themselves are proof of this. They were fantastic, and could easily be expanded to be the core of the game.

It's not the core TR formula that has aged badly, it's the shitty controls, the stiff physics, and the graphics.

Edited by SomaticSense at 12:27:06 07-08-2017
  • Page

of 517 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.