Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Nier Automata - PS4 - 5/5
    Disgaea 5 - Switch - 5/5
    Blue Reflection - PS4 - 4/5
    Tokyo Xanadu ex+ - PS4 - 4/5
    Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap - Switch - 5/5

Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 1/5

Holy shit, what a mess. Chapter 13 is what brought it down to a 1 for me - and apparently that was after improvement! Genuinely irritating to play with a floaty, unclear battle system and an awful camera. Fails to work either as an open world game or as a linear one. I didn't really like any of the characters, half of the story's emotional beats didn't feel earned and there were occasions where I genuinely felt like information had been kept from me so I'd need to watch the film thing or other cross-media stuff. The ending video was shocking quality too, just macroblock city. I'm sure the PS3 games had better quality CG. Watching the credits shudder along against a blank screen, I don't think it was worth waiting for the promised performance patches on PS4 Pro either.

I might actually be angrier after finishing this than I was after finishing Ryu ga Gotoku 6, and that game ruined characters I'd known for over a decade.
  • FrostPan 1 May 2017 22:05:42 1,236 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @uiruki

Is Ryu ga Gotoku 6 better than 5 at least?

What score would you give to 6?
  • uiruki 1 May 2017 22:15:25 4,270 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @FrostPan In terms of the game itself, it's the best yet without a doubt. The new battle system's a bit muddled sometimes and they removed so much stuff (don't expect to walk around with weapons or use any of the classic Komaki skills for a start) but they added a real nice weight to everything which I got a kick out of. The new engine makes for a properly seamless Kamurocho too - at least about 60% of it as Champion-gai and the entire northern street are closed. Having a fight spill into a shop and then the shop refusing to serve Kiryu was genuinely funny - and you can finally go to Wild Jackson!!!

The story was a disaster though. I'd have given it a 2 overall as I just didn't want to play it anymore after clearing it, though I did have to finish the New Japan wrestling minigame as it was too funny. To get into why I disliked the story would be real spoiler territory but I'm definitely hoping their next attempt is a remake of 2 rather than something new while they work things out. 5 was a messy story in a different way but I at least appreciated the ambition and scale, and I thought they really did a great job with Zero. Ishin was good fun too because of all the callbacks and classic characters - it felt like a game made for the fans.
  • FrostPan 2 May 2017 13:57:39 1,236 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @uiruki

Shame the story is not up to standard, but I'm glad the game itself is an improvement.

I actually still have 4 and 5 to play, but was interested to hear thoughts on the latest one, especially since 5 had a divided audience on it being apparently a bit too bloated.
  • Fourfoldroot 2 May 2017 14:10:38 2,181 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Yakuza Zero - 6/10

Never liked the combat much which oscillated between at best servicable, unremarkable and annoying, but the story, atmosphere, characters, sidequests are brilliant.

Would have given it an 8/10 if it wouldn't suffer from 1990's game design bullshit like savepoints, but no checkpoints, in a game that has sequences up to two or 3 hours before you can save again. Ridiculous, and only worked for me at all because I've played absolutely nothing else on the PS4 for several weeks, and always went to standby mode.
    2-3 hours? I can't remember making a save further than 20 minutes apart. The only long-ish story sections were at the end of chapters and that auto saved. Granted I only died twice in the whole game, but both times I did it let me restart the fight rather than play through the sequence (checkpoint); apparently if I had died again it would have let me lower the difficulty setting had I wished.

I'm with you in hating games with too long before savepoints - haven't got the time or patience anymore - but I don't remember Yakuza 0 suffering from that problem.

9/10 for me. Slightly higher production values and larger environments and it would have been perfect.
  • Graxlar_v2 2 May 2017 14:13:44 6,087 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    uiruki wrote:
    Disgaea 5 - Switch - 5/5

Holy shit, what a mess. Chapter 13 is what brought it down to a 1 for me - and apparently that was after improvement! Genuinely irritating to play with a floaty, unclear battle system and an awful camera. Fails to work either as an open world game or as a linear one. I didn't really like any of the characters, half of the story's emotional beats didn't feel earned and there were occasions where I genuinely felt like information had been kept from me so I'd need to watch the film thing or other cross-media stuff. The ending video was shocking quality too, just macroblock city. I'm sure the PS3 games had better quality CG. Watching the credits shudder along against a blank screen, I don't think it was worth waiting for the promised performance patches on PS4 Pro either.

I might actually be angrier after finishing this than I was after finishing Ryu ga Gotoku 6, and that game ruined characters I'd known for over a decade.
    I am really excited about disgaea 5 on switch and the 5/5 score adds to it but 1/5 for FF15 is a little harsh isnt it? chapter 13 is a massive blot on the page but is only 2 hrs of an 80 hour game. I would put it at a 7/10 personally.

Having said that, WoFF is the better final fantasy game... you should try that out.
  • Fourfoldroot 2 May 2017 14:18:46 2,181 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Graxlar_v2 wrote:
    uiruki wrote:
    Disgaea 5 - Switch - 5/5

I am really excited about disgaea 5 on switch and the 5/5 score adds to it but 1/5 for FF15 is a little harsh isnt it? chapter 13 is a massive blot on the page but is only 2 hrs of an 80 hour game. I would put it at a 7/10 personally.

Having said that, WoFF is the better final fantasy game... you should try that out.
    Seconded. WoFF is the best in the series since 9/10 by a country mile.
  • uiruki 2 May 2017 14:47:29 4,270 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Graxlar_v2 for me it was 3 in a 28 hour game - with large chunks of the rest of it waiting either for a car to putter across the map or for a loading bar to very slowly fill up. I really think that it was a bad open world game which falls into the "big level with invisible walls" problems that a lot of the genre does, and the battle system completely broke down later on in the game, just relying on spamming potions on your teammates as they inevitably get themselves knocked down. That isn't even starting to get into the problems I have with the story - and I think I am really easy to please in terms of game stories!

I don't have any details but I've certainly finished some other 1/5 games this year. Job Simulator PS4 was one, mostly due to it barely working. The Sanada-based Samurai Warriors was the same because of some of the shit they ended up pulling was awful. Musou Stars will be the same if I even finish it because they seem to have deliberately taken the worst parts of Warriors games and stuck them all together with a 20fps refresh on PS4 Pro. Hopefully as I go on the numbers will start to make a bit more sense. The 1s are the ones where I've had to really push myself to finish them.

WoFF kind of fell into a hole for me as it was released while I was on holiday. I'll keep an eye out as the battles in the demo were a bit too slow to grab me.

As for Disgaea, if you like that series then I can't recommend it highly enough. Portable is already the best way to experience it because of the way you can choose how long you play through map/mode choice, and it still loads super fast whether you're in or out of the dock so grinding lv99 maps is super fast and easy. You should get 6 hours out of the Switch battery while playing and there's no fiddling with save files to go back onto the TV - I think that's worth a little bit of stutter and some 720p blurriness. For me it's been the first sign that the Switch can potentially replace the Vita and I hope companies can keep going with it.
  • Graxlar_v2 2 May 2017 14:57:28 6,087 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Yeah I loved Disgaea 3 & 4 on Vita and bought 5 on PS4 but never loaded it up as the thought of playing it on a home console after the vita ports was a bit of a downer. The switch version seems the best of both worlds.

Cancelled my bummed for an art book edition though as i couldn't justify 75 vs 40.
  • uiruki 2 May 2017 15:02:05 4,270 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Graxlar_v2 wrote:
    Yeah I loved Disgaea 3 & 4 on Vita and bought 5 on PS4 but never loaded it up as the thought of playing it on a home console after the vita ports was a bit of a downer. The switch version seems the best of both worlds.

Cancelled my bummed for an art book edition though as i couldn't justify 75 vs 40.
    Here's a justification - that difference is the money you saved by not having to buy the DLC!!!
  • Fourfoldroot 2 May 2017 17:23:26 2,181 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @uiruki

The battles were slow in the demo only because they didn't tell you about the fast forward button! After that the fights were super swift.
  • The_Goon 4 May 2017 00:30:43 330 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sleeping Dogs - solid 7/10

Never played it before so grabbed it for cheap for the PS4 when it was on sale. It had the makings of what could have been an amazing game. If it had given the player a bit more choice in how to play things out, it would have been really interesting. As it is, the story is fun and intriguing and the game play had some cool mechanics. Fairly predictable story which is a shame but it's a better story than I remember there being in GTA 4 (not played 5 yet). Side quests were repetitive and felt shoehorned in though. I'm a little sorry it's over because I genuinely enjoyed playing it (and I don't want to have to go back to Last Guardian...) but it was fun while it lasted. Have the DLC and a few remaining side quests to do but I'll take my time and finish them off.
  • Doomspoon 4 May 2017 11:04:46 2,807 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Uncharted - PS4

I picked up the Nathan Drake collection in a recent sale as I never played the second one on PS3 despite having played the others in reverse order. I wanted to play them in order this time around.

I seemed to prefer playing through the second time around, it didn't seem to drag as much. It's Uncharted, even with a Remaster its age but it can still look nice in places. Not much else to say really, I had fun with it.

I've just started the second game and only got to the third chapter but I felt the first two chapters really dragged.
  • THFourteen 5 May 2017 22:55:21 43,855 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Zelda A Link Between Worlds (3DS) - 10/10 Essential

Can't believe I only started playing this two weeks ago, literally whizzed through it. Fantastic game and thoroughly enjoyed the puzzles and gameplay, the very few places where I had to repeat things were not as annoying as I expected, nor were the platformy parts either.

Feel like my Zelda journey may have unfortunately started on a high. It can only be downhill from here!

Thanks @Phattso for the game!
  • Nitrous 6 May 2017 05:45:43 1,402 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gears of war 4. 7/10

Certainly not the best campaign having played all previous gears but still more enjoyable than I thought it was going to be.

Not touched the online side of things due to my XBL sub running out but I've got a code waiting to be punched in for the next GWG offerings or sale.

Edited by Nitrous at 05:46:45 06-05-2017
  • uiruki 6 May 2017 18:12:49 4,270 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Disgaea 5 - Switch - 5/5

Spaceplan - PC - 4/5

Now, let me preface this by saying that if you don't really 'get' clickers then you might have issues with this. This one's a good one, though, and one with an actual story/ending and some good audio. The description calls it 'an experimental piece of interaction' which is a bit wanky but don't hold that against it too much. I enjoyed the prototype on the web and 2 is probably about right for it.
  • Trowel 7 May 2017 12:08:45 21,137 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Finally finished Fez this morning (64 cubes and all secrets), five years after I first started it :)
  • DangerousDave_87 7 May 2017 17:21:47 1,592 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Nice one. I think i've completed it just the two times, but would snap it up again if it came to the Switch.
  • Cadence 7 May 2017 20:34:38 1,989 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It would be a great match for the switch. Has it ever been on a portable? Vita maybe..
  • H1ggyLTD 7 May 2017 20:40:40 6,040 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah i have it on Vita.

Never played it though.
  • Baihu1983 7 May 2017 20:41:27 8,137 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Telltales Batman.

Technical mess at times but the story was ok. They need to start adding actual gameplay now.
  • Nades 7 May 2017 21:38:42 2,867 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Doomspoon wrote:
    Uncharted - PS4

I picked up the Nathan Drake collection in a recent sale as I never played the second one on PS3 despite having played the others in reverse order. I wanted to play them in order this time around.

I seemed to prefer playing through the second time around, it didn't seem to drag as much. It's Uncharted, even with a Remaster its age but it can still look nice in places. Not much else to say really, I had fun with it.

I've just started the second game and only got to the third chapter but I felt the first two chapters really dragged.
    Currently playing through the Uncharted series now. About half way through Uncharted 4, gotta say the second is still my favourite.
  • caligari 8 May 2017 16:04:07 17,524 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Gunzberg wrote:
    Night in the Woods

95%

Brilliantly, brilliantly written
    Oooh - that's great to hear. I was holding out for a boxed copy (not sure if that'll ever be a thing) BUT I don't think that I can wait for that long. The only thing putting me off a little is the price (which sounds very mean, I know) - 20 for an indie game that'll probably be in a sale next week seems a little steep to me. Worth the moolah, though?

I've been polishing off lots from my backlog of shame - Tearaway Unfolded, The Flame and the Flood, EGTT Rapture, Soma, Attack on Titan: WOF, the newer King's Quest series, Little Nightmares, Resi 7, Her Story, Inside, Yakuza 0 - I actually feel like I can breath again.

I'm still hopelessly addicted to the criminally underrated and underappreciated Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 - sure, it's an online shooter (so I'll never exactly 'complete' it), but the characters and environments are just fantastic; I can't get enough of the blinkin' thing. I spend far too much time on it which leads to me ignoring gems such as Stardew Valley and Sexy Brutale.

The only two games I'm struggling to polish off are Shovel Knight (I love so much about it, and would happily listen to the soundtrack on a loop) as I'm finding myself getting increasingly frustrated with the boss fights. Oh, and Gravity Rush HD - again, adore everything about it APART from the whole, err, 'Gravity' thing (which is, admittedly, quite a big part of the game). Flipping and falling about the screen just makes me nauseous after a few minutes of play. Is it wrong to say that I still really want to try the sequel?
  • superbob85 8 May 2017 18:20:05 7,147 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Killzone 2 solid FPS enjoyed it not much more to say about it. 7/10.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 8 May 2017 18:23:51 7,827 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Would you say it was closer to a fishfinger sandwich or beans on toast?

Edited by Decks at 18:23:59 08-05-2017
  • wuntyphyve 8 May 2017 22:30:35 8,621 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @superbob85 what difficulty did you play it on out of interest? I had to seriously drop it down towards the end. Thought it was brutal.
  • superbob85 8 May 2017 22:52:06 7,147 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The normal setting that boss fight at the end was indeed brutal.
  • wuntyphyve 8 May 2017 23:07:46 8,621 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah its mental. What a feeling once you're through it though.

Reminds me. Still have the third game waiting to be played. Although Sony have probably blocked me from my ps3 as well the wankers.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 May 2017 01:32:02 2,833 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    Telltales Batman.

Technical mess at times but the story was ok. They need to start adding actual gameplay now.
    I usually find that the 'gameplay' segments tend to be the worst sections of Telltale games. Dull filler that brings the pace of the storytelling to a juddering halt. Feels like it really takes me out of the interactive story experience by forcing me to slowly wander about pointlessly clicking things until the story is ready to start up again.

If anything I'd say outside of the QTEs I'd probably find most of the previous games improved by having fewer gameplay segments.
  • Page

of 506 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.