Recently Completed Games Page 389

• Page

of 422 First / Last

• PazJohnMitch 15 Mar 2014 22:27:00 8,612 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    lavalant wrote:
    superbob85 wrote:
    Finished Stranglehold on 360 yesterday. Really enjoyed it the fast paced action really worked well with the control system. 7/10.
    Fantastic game and it really shits all over Max Payne 3.
    Completely agree. I thought it was far more fun than MP3.
  • Sir_Brightington_III 15 Mar 2014 22:44:18 4 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Lollipop Chainsaw

I bought it back in 2012 and gave up shortly after finding the controls really clunky, and the level design uninspired. Came back to it last week, and after buying a bunch of new combos and upgrades, the combat is actually brilliant. To really maximise your points and rewards, you need to activate "Sparkle Hunting" - i.e. slaying several zombies (3 or more) in one fell swoop.

It takes some getting used to, but it's immensely satisfying to tear through a whole pack of zombies and get literally showered with medals, while the zombies crumple in a burst of pink sparkles and rainbows.

Genuinely funny throughout, great soundtrack ("HEY MICKEY YOU'RE SO FINE YOU'RE SO FINE YOU BLOW MY MIND HEY MICKEY") with some really inventive zombies and bosses. It is on the short side, with 6 levels clocking in at around 30-40 minutes each, but there are multiple difficulties (which do more than just make the enemies more aggressive damage sponges), with tonnes of music, art and costumes to unlock. There's a startling amount of replay value for a modern console game.

Edited by Sir_Brightington_III at 22:44:55 15-03-2014
  • Nitrous 16 Mar 2014 21:55:18 467 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Limbo (360)

I've had this for a few years and recently went back to complete it. Simple design but a great platform game that at times forces you to think about what your doing.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 17 Mar 2014 06:24:40 11,472 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, it's a fucking lovely game. I still haven't completed my run without dying more than 5 times...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Stranded87 17 Mar 2014 19:29:12 935 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    South Park: The Stick of Truth

The first few hours didn't really do it for me but this just got better and better. It really is like playing an episode of South Park, one of the best episodes in fact. I don't love the combat mechanics but even that becomes quite fun just because of the sheer variety of stupid abilities you gain access to. Everything else is great and it's possibly the funniest game I've ever played.

My only major complaint is the censored content, there really is a lot of it and some of it sounds like it would have been hilarious. It's extra annoying since the whole of Europe was lumped together when I'm pretty sure the UK and various other places actually wouldn't have required it to be censored. I'm almost tempted to dock a point based on that, but I won't.

9/10
  • Deckard1 17 Mar 2014 19:40:34 29,160 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You can watch it on youtube you know

Fish fingers and chips pretty straight forward.

• Stranded87 17 Mar 2014 19:48:13 935 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    You can watch it on youtube you know
    Yep and when I can be bothered I will, but it's the principle of the thing as much as anything, plus pausing the game and going to YouTube is kind of an immersion breaker.
  • Deckard1 17 Mar 2014 19:54:56 29,160 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh yeah I'm not defending the censorship at all. Just making you aware that you can watch them on youtube. I just watched them on my phone as I was playing it. And yes, they're pretty much the funniest parts of the game.

Fish fingers and chips pretty straight forward.

• Gunzberg 17 Mar 2014 20:44:14 1,744 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Super Mario 3D Land (3DS) 10/10

Rip-roaring bite sized levels with none of the frustration of Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Lots of levels, never a pain, great pacing. Perfect handheld game and played like that as well.

For what it aims to achieve - it delivers, therefore the score.

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• Stranded87 17 Mar 2014 20:56:05 935 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Oh yeah I'm not defending the censorship at all. Just making you aware that you can watch them on youtube. I just watched them on my phone as I was playing it. And yes, they're pretty much the funniest parts of the game.
    Ah fair play, hard to tell tone on forums. I just watched them and now I'm even more shocked that they were censored, for the most part they're so tame! And in some cases very funny.
  • Raiko101 18 Mar 2014 13:10:08 6,581 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Last of Us

A very, very good game with a genuinely gripping story. It almost feels like you're participating in a TV series, with frequent climactic endings to every other chapter. It keeps you pushing on the for ending. Unfortunately, I found the ending to be rather disappointing, given the rather lengthy and thrilling journey, but it doesn't bring the game down all that much.

Mechanically the game is sound. It plays like a cross-breed between the more recent Splinter Cell games and the Gears of War games, with a little bit of ZombiU thrown in for good measure. For the most part it works really well, but I never really got on with the aiming, for whatever reason. That and the supporting AI does sometimes go a bit mental, for no explainable reason.

I enjoyed seeking out the artifacts (which give the environments a bit of a back-story), but the game also throws in far too many collectables. I'm fine with looking around for ammo, guns and ingredients for equipment, but when there are comic books and pendants to find as well, it's just too much.

It's enough to distract you from the game itself, if you intend to collect them all, and there are a lot of nooks and cranny to inspect. You'll likely find your spend a long time seeking them out and your efforts can go unrewarded for a long time.

All in all, a great game. The best of its kind, by some margin. I can't remember the last time a game's story really grabbed my attention. There are a few small balancing issues, and perhaps the game borrows a little too heavily from others, but it's still an massively enjoyable experience.

Not quite my game of the generation, but it's most definitely up there.

10/10

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• JiveHound 18 Mar 2014 14:08:15 2,668 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ground Zeroes.

Would have been shorter if I didnít suck so bad.

Now to see what the side missions are like.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• drip 18 Mar 2014 14:25:11 4,596 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Turtles in Time (SNES)

I knew I loved it as a kid, but going back after all the years, it still earns my respect. It's not particularly hard, but I think it's so much better than all the other brawlers. Animations are brilliant, music and sound FX are great, there's some nice use of Mode7, it's humorous and just plain good fun. Another great example of Konami's SNES mastery.

Not sure what score to give it, I mean it can't compare to good games of recent just for technical reasons, on the other hand, it's simply the best old-school brawler, dwarfing anything Battletoads, Double Dragon, Final Fight etc.

Judging by its time, a clear 10/10.
  • superbob85 18 Mar 2014 19:47:46 2,653 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Just finished Kane and Lynch 2 quite suprised turned out to be a decent cover based shooter.
  • Ziz0u 18 Mar 2014 19:56:46 8,581 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @JiveHound

What was your time for the main mission?
  • JiveHound 18 Mar 2014 21:28:57 2,668 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Couldn't have been more than a couple of hours.

At the moment I'm a little conflicted. It plays really well but is obviously piece meal. I donít think this sort of thing should be encouraged so the 9/10 from EG was an eyebrow raiser.

I'm not going to judge the game fully until I've exhausted the missions, the second did actually feel very different.

It still should have been a 400pt equivalent a la the Dead Rising prequels but then everything seems to be a premium on next gen. Titanfall is light on content for £50 game.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• sirtacos 18 Mar 2014 23:46:46 7,348 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dishonored - Knife of Dunwall

Certainly on par with the original campaign in terms of quality.
    Level design is great as usual, skulking about is great fun and the world is just as compelling... actually more so: with the 'Save the Princess' contrivance of the main plot cast aside, we get to focus on Dunwall itself, as well as the peripheral characters that inhabit it, and the game is much more interesting as a result.
    Ending is abrupt and shit.

8/10

Edited by sirtacos at 00:48:03 19-03-2014
  • Telepathic.Geometry 19 Mar 2014 08:01:49 11,472 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Contrast - 7/10. Finished this last night. I'd've scored it lower if I hadn't gotten it for free, but it was quite a disappointment. I loved the premise, the story was kinda okay, some of the puzzles were okay, but if anything playing this game made me realise how much potential the idea had.

Thief - 7/10. I feel like this is a game that would have benefited a lot from another 3 to 6 months of dev time. There were a lot of weird sound bugs, enemies suiciding a lot, strange AI problems, and no real motivation for collecting collectibles.

I'm playing through it now on Easy, to try and find all of the collectibles and explore the city, and I'm having way more fun. On Hard difficulty, there's fuck all you can do if you get rumbled. Except wait. A lot of waiting in this game. In fact, I think that one of the most frustrating things about this game is the waiting. Even stealing things off a table, or hopping into a closet to escape the filth is ponderously slow and frustrating.

What a shame.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Gambit1977 19 Mar 2014 08:05:53 10,382 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    Couldn't have been more than a couple of hours.

At the moment I'm a little conflicted. It plays really well but is obviously piece meal. I donít think this sort of thing should be encouraged so the 9/10 from EG was an eyebrow raiser.

I'm not going to judge the game fully until I've exhausted the missions, the second did actually feel very different.

It still should have been a 400pt equivalent a la the Dead Rising prequels but then everything seems to be a premium on next gen. Titanfall is light on content for £50 game.
    anyone who spends £50 on titanfall deserves everything they get!
  • Exceptional_leg 19 Mar 2014 08:59:48 135 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag (PC) - 7/10

I thought the game looked absolutely stunning throughout and for the most part I really enjoyed the sailing and exploration that was on offer. However, I found the combat to be quite atrocious and the story very disjointed, so I found it difficult to remain interested all the way to the end.

Miasmata - 8/10

An oddly compelling game. I thoroughly enjoyed the story and exploration of the island. The cartography was excellent and I would love for more games to implement a similar style of map discovery via means of triangulation. The physics engine can be a little frustrating at times, although I really quite liked how you had to move around the terrain safely, making it as much an enemy as the beast that stalks you.
  • HarryPalmer 19 Mar 2014 11:16:10 3,544 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Outlast - 7/10

FINALLY completed this. It's not that long, but it took me in excess of 4 hours, mainly cos I spent a lot of time hiding in lockers, and repeating a couple of sections.

I'd have preferred a more subtle kind of horror, and certainly a longer build up before the protagonists are revealed. It's pretty silly, and the scares come from being surprised and chased through the dark, rather than any kind of psychological torment. But it's definitely tense and stressful.

The viewfinder mechanic works really well, and it feels like you're playing a found footage horror film at times.

I also enjoyed the final section, it was a welcome change of pace and nice to have some light!

Not sure I'll bother with the DLC, as the story wasn't worth the stress in my opinion.

Edited by HarryPalmer at 11:17:03 19-03-2014
  • imamazed 19 Mar 2014 11:18:52 5,900 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    Outlast - 7/10

Not sure I'll bother with the DLC, as the story wasn't worth the stress in my opinion.
    That's very much the vibe I'm getting after 45 minutes or so. Not sure I'll stick with it tbh.
  • HarryPalmer 19 Mar 2014 11:27:46 3,544 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, I felt like that throughout really. You get used to it, but it's still panic inducing when you're running around like a headless chicken.

There are definitely cool moments throughout, but the story is bobbins, and it's very frustrating. The check-pointing isn't too good, and there are numerous occasions where you are about to complete an objective only for the game to deliberately send you back through the maze, similar to Dead Space, but without the compelling story.
  • PazJohnMitch 20 Mar 2014 23:27:11 8,612 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CoD: Ghosts PS4 Veteran

Enjoyable jaunt as usual but a fairly weak campaign compared to previous games. AI seemed even worse than usual with enemies running around aimlessly on occasions and allies that seem to purposefully act as shields for the enemy. Underwater and space were nice new additions but far fewer great set pieces this time around.

My favourite level was the tank one which was the penultimate missions. Worst was the final as the game suddenly realised Veteran had been fairly easy up to that point and decidedly to go down the flat out unfair approach.

7/10
  • Gunzberg 22 Mar 2014 13:22:42 1,744 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thief 3 Deadly Shadows 85%

Great fun, some annoyances, namely:

- Terrible load times regardless of hardware, probably a result of being developed for consoles too
    - Having to traverse the city ant its load times and guards after every single mission to visit multiple fences to sell your items and then again to buy your items as each has different stuff. This really gets irritating fast
    - Towards the end there are so many factions including monsters running about the city but no one seems surprised by this, e.g. peasant NPC and City Guard walk past massive monsters without a care in their world. Really breaks the immersion
    - Garrett's face looks completely different depending on whether it's an in-engine cutscene or not. Again, breaks the immersion a lot.

Finally, all the hype about the Shalebridge Cradle as the scariest level ever. I beg to differ. I think the Ocean Motel in Vampire Bloodlines or the Asylum in Thief 4 seemed tenser. (without talking about pure horror games such as Outlast)

Anyhow, I really enjoyed it (with some unofficial pathches to bring it up to scratch)

• FatSternKikwi 22 Mar 2014 17:00:43 609 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @sirtacos

You should definitely play the second part.
  • Gunzberg 23 Mar 2014 14:55:23 1,744 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Last of Us: Left Behind DLC

No rating as still not sure what to make of it. It's only about 2 hours long and feels inessential until the last 10-15 min as it provides some insights into what Ellie did during the winter time and her early years.

But it doesn't have the impact as the main game, which of course is longer, but is still produced to a high quality.

The price of £11.99 is also obscene but Sony/ND know they can get away with it because everyone wants more SP DLC.

In short: You're not missing out if you don't play it and you might not feel you got your money's worth once it's over. It is nice though to return to the world of the TLOU and the writing still puts 99.99% of video games out there to shame

• PazJohnMitch 23 Mar 2014 16:32:42 8,612 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Second Son

Very pretty but somewhat repetative. Uses the whole take of an area and unlock new sidequest world structure. That approach is ok by me but would have preferred more variety / depth in side missions.

No idea how people can play through these games good and evil. I 100% evil but the game had become fairly tiresome long before the end. Also since when can a superhero not swim?

7/10 (Possibly generous bu... Ooh shiny).
  • Monsieur_Blade 23 Mar 2014 18:00:29 357 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    Outlast - 7/10

FINALLY completed this. It's not that long, but it took me in excess of 4 hours, mainly cos I spent a lot of time hiding in lockers, and repeating a couple of sections.

I'd have preferred a more subtle kind of horror, and certainly a longer build up before the protagonists are revealed. It's pretty silly, and the scares come from being surprised and chased through the dark, rather than any kind of psychological torment. But it's definitely tense and stressful.

The viewfinder mechanic works really well, and it feels like you're playing a found footage horror film at times.

I also enjoyed the final section, it was a welcome change of pace and nice to have some light!

Finished Outlast today too and overall I really enjoyed it. There were some really spooky moments and shocks but (like many people have said) it does get a bit repetitive towards the end.

Maybe I've been swayed cos I got the game for free but I thought it was really well done and it was nice to play a game that didn't have a lot of padding and side quests just to stretch it out.

I did find the ending a little annoying though after putting all that work in and being scared shitless at times I was really looking forward to getting out of the asylum and driving away and then... bang a couple of bullets to the chest! Really frustrating!!

8/10
  • Page

of 422 First / Last