Recently Completed Games Page 388

• Page

of 405 First / Last

• robc84 5 Mar 2014 08:23:01 5,325 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Bioshock Infinite

Decent game. Frustrating last fight aside, I really enjoyed it. Shooting mechanics were solid, but I found the switching between vigors and using combos to be a bit too fiddly.

Still, great story (although not as good as the first one) and an emotional ending. Was good to get a quick glimpse of rapture again at the end :)

Overall, 8/10
  • Kichijoten 5 Mar 2014 11:36:54 887 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Just completed Tomb Raider, what a fantastic game. From start to finish it is an epic adventure with drama, tension and it oozed atmosphere. Superb characters and story and possibly the best cinematic game I've played if that is such a thing.
    The visuals to were amazing, I kept stopping to look around the scenery.

Lara was nearly perfect in everything, look, acting, animations. Her transformation between innocent explorer to tough fighter was too quick but I think for the game it moved it along nicely, after all it isn't real.

I think it is a near flawless example of how to reboot a franchise. Bring gripping, satisfying and strangely dark, I can't see how this origin story could have been told much better.

Only negatives are bit too much combat and it should of had more mini tombs.

95/100.

Edited by Kichijoten at 11:37:50 05-03-2014
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Mar 2014 11:40:08 10,288 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Kichijoten wrote:
    Just completed Tomb Raider, what a fantastic game. From start to finish it is an epic adventure with drama, tension and it oozed atmosphere. Superb characters and story and possibly the best cinematic game I've played if that is such a thing.

Lara was nearly perfect in everything, look, acting, animations. Her transformation between innocent explorer to tough fighter was too quick but I think for the game it moved it along nicely, after all it isn't real.

I think it is a near flawless example of how to reboot a franchise. Bring gripping, satisfying and strangely dark, I can't see how this origin story could have been told much better.

95/100.
    Who were the superb characters?
    I thought they were terrible, the gulf between it and the Naughty Dog stuff in terms of characters, dialogue and quality of voice acting is enormous IMO.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• xXJippedXx 5 Mar 2014 12:03:11 287 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Kichijoten wrote:

95/100.
    Who were the superb characters?
    I thought they were terrible, the gulf between it and the Naughty Dog stuff in terms of characters, dialogue and quality of voice acting is enormous IMO.
    Was just thinking the same thing, the cast were very, very generic and forgettable especially when compared with Uncharted.

xXJippedXx... on EVERYTHING!

• Kichijoten 5 Mar 2014 12:28:04 887 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Can't put my finger on why but I found the characters and story more interesting than UC and I cared about what happened and who died.
  • Rens11 5 Mar 2014 19:15:38 1,388 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Shelter

for some reason I thought this was a horror game beforehand had no idea it was about badgers! for me the game was style over substance, the gameplay lacked any depth and I found the loading screens between scenes jarring. It would have been better having a short scene with the badgers bedding down for the night or a simple fading screen. The ending was superb though wasn't expecting that.

6/10

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• Megapocalypse 6 Mar 2014 18:02:38 5,321 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ni No Kuni: Curse of the White Witch - 9/10

Proper tidy that was. Absolutely loved it and is by far the best JRPG I've played this generation. Only real criticism I guess would be the constant hand holding by Drippy 'Lord High Lord of stating the bleedin' obvious' and maybe the simplistic combat which. Ultimately though I guess those can be put down to the fact the it feels like a game designed with younger gamers in mind. Nothing wrong with that at all though.

Was a bit disappointed that the superb voice acting and animated scenes dried up from the mid point onwards and were absent almost entirely towards the end.

Edited by Megapocalypse at 18:34:47 06-03-2014
  • wobbly_Bob 6 Mar 2014 18:59:20 1,627 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Spelunky!!! I BLOODY DID IT! :-D Finished it yesterday.
  • Raiko101 6 Mar 2014 19:25:41 6,078 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Little Big Planet

This is technically the second time i've completed it, having done so when it first came out. It remains one of the most charming platformers i've ever played. Maybe even the most charming. However, the controls dampen the experience too much. They're floaty and fiddly, and as such lead to frustration when trying to perform the most basic of platforming.

Not only that, but the game can be confused by it's own 3-lane platforming system, which only adds to the frustration.

What it has going for it, however, is a decent online community packed with a ton of cleverly made levels that are often more enjoyable than the main game.

3/5

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Gunzberg 7 Mar 2014 16:47:23 1,730 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thief (4) on PC 8/10

29 hours to complete all main and side missions of this enjoyable game.

Highlights include:

+ Garrett, I like the personality and the immersion offered by having your hands on screen at all times
    + Every main mission area is utterly unique and exciting to explore
    + Feel like a thief without the pedantic punishments of the earlier games, it really is Dishonored lite
    + Play however you want, aggressive, full stealth or a mix and get rewarded for it
    + Story, lore and voice-acting quite decent
    + Looks quite lovely on my PC
    + Quite a long game actually

Now to address some of the stuff from the critics:

+ Loading times between city sections of 1-3 seconds on my PC so no impact on immersion or atmosphere. Maybe the reviewers played the game on a Spectrum ?
    + It doesn't feel like the earlier games. Can't really comment on this apart from the fact that I tried the earlier games and I found them quite pedantic, frustrating and full of issues from controls to items. So not being like those and more like Dishonored is a big reason I bothered with and enjoyed this game
    + I like looting everything, Dishonored was the same where you found extra gold coins by exploring. Why the critics get so pissed off at this only they know

Issues:

- Audio pretty fucked. Sometimes totally quiet, from one sentence to the next. Other times won't play and worst of all chain looping. I heard some NPCs say the same thing 40-50 times whilst I was moving around the city because they would start their script again as soon as it finished. When you are trying to figure out how to reach certain areas and need some peace and quiet an NPC keeps shouting about "another NPC" on and on.
    - Some design decisions regarding resources really suck. E.g. You can hold 15 rope arrows but can you buy 15 from the merchant when you have gold for them ? NO, the game says, here are 3 and now the merchant is out of stock. Fine, you find a few during missions but towards the last few chapters you use so many of those arrows and when you need the last collectible for the bonus gold and it is only reachable by rope arrows (which the mission forced you to use all of) then you get very pissed. Worst of all. There was a merchant near this area but does he sell more rope arrows ? No, cause you bought some from the merchant 35min ago in a different area. Even worse mission 8 follows directly form mission 7 with no chance to restock. So another mission where you can't get full completion because of said issue.
    - Finally, the game has the occasional frame rate disaster where things just go treacle slow till the game finishes loading the new area which it sometimes does in the background.

Overall, one positive thing about the critics disliking the game was that one can now pick it up quite cheap (at least on PC). I would recommend this game to anyone who liked Dishonored. Dishonored is still superior but Thief is still a good game.

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• PazJohnMitch 7 Mar 2014 16:52:00 7,816 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Brothers (PS3)

Charming and inventive puzzle adventure.

Highly recommended. (Particularly for those on PS+)

8/10
  • andytheadequate 7 Mar 2014 17:20:42 8,080 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch - I completed Brothers yesterday too, a great game. The sense of adventure and the setting were brilliant, although it was a bit short.

It reminded me an awful lot of limbo
  • Kanjin 7 Mar 2014 19:16:44 1,055 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Divinity 2

Well this was a weird one and all over the place. For example: the combat is pretty fun sometimes and other times it's frustrating and boring. The Voice overs can be excellent or terrible and so on.

The second bad element is the pixel-hunting: too much hunting for small wall switches.

Thirdly would be the lack of direction. Sounds weird but sometimes it's not clear where you're meant to be going or what you need to do. You can figure it out but it feels like you're meant to bump around 'til you bump into the next plot thread.

But... it does work over all and it's a good length, especially with the expansion. Some great bits including the final sequence, so 7/10 overall.
  • coomber 7 Mar 2014 23:30:22 323 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Batman: Arkham Origins

OK, it's not as good as the previous games, but it's still a good game - just lacking that Rocksteady polish. Graphics were glitchy and there was the occasional bug that forced a reboot of my PS3 while playing, but the biggest issue was the all-too-often lack of direction. Half the time I was wandering around wondering how to get back on the streets...if I was supposed to get back on the streets at all.

The boss fights were good and varied, and there is plenty of content for those who can be bothered to run around after collectibles. A decent game overall...just not a great one.

7/10
  • bladdard 8 Mar 2014 15:19:41 900 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    Bioshock Infinite

Decent game. Frustrating last fight aside, I really enjoyed it. Shooting mechanics were solid, but I found the switching between vigors and using combos to be a bit too fiddly.

Still, great story (although not as good as the first one) and an emotional ending. Was good to get a quick glimpse of rapture again at the end :)

Overall, 8/10
    I've just completed this too and your sentiments and appraisal match mine exactly as does your score. 8/10
  • damagedinc 8 Mar 2014 17:10:58 691 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Resident evil 4 HD - xbox 360

Clunky controls aside and it being a somewhat under-whelming paint job. This game is as awesome as ever!

A real joy in gaming and its such a shame the series has lost its way. Perfect filler untill dark souls 2 arrives.
    Played dark souls, this, link between worlds and ocarina 3ds in recent months. Pah....who cares about next gen when there are still so many classics to play.
  • SolidSCB 10 Mar 2014 13:41:07 6,404 posts
    Seen 9 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Beyond Good & Evil HD

Paid 2 quid odd for this on the PS3 the other day. Wow. I'm not usually a fan of these games that have a cult following, more often than not I find them to be just as overrated as the massively hyped titles, but this is by far the best game I've played so far this year. Oozes with charm, isn't too taxing and doesn't outstay it's welcome. This was the perfect game at the perfect time for me. Minus 1 point only for the shitty third person camera.

9/10
  • TheMayorOfJugs 10 Mar 2014 14:14:28 3,073 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    South Park The Stick of Truth.
    Forgot to write a review. If you're a fan you need this. I don't really laugh on my own when playing a game but, this was too funny at times. The references in the collectibles and bosses and sidequests brought plenty of grins and chuckles.
    The special moves and companions and summons are hilarious. Just a fun fun game. Hope theres DLC.

Wow so nice Mongorian Beef/10
  • Kichijoten 10 Mar 2014 14:23:16 887 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    @Gunzberg Interesting review, will pick it up when I bit cheaper as I loved dishonoured.
  • Gunzberg 10 Mar 2014 14:32:21 1,730 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Kichijoten glad it was useful :)

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• imamazed 12 Mar 2014 00:13:55 5,522 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Batman: Arkham City

Still got DLC to mop up, not sure about on whether I will or not.

Anyway, it's excellent obviously. I do agree with others that it's less tightly focused than Arkham Asylum, but the quality is still sky high throughout, and traversing the city is actually pretty fun once you upgrade your bathook. Seriously brilliant voice acting, writing and pacing. Can't wait for the new one.

9/10

Oh, and as an aside, might I compliment the game on how bloody well optomised it is on PC? My modest setup ran it all the way through at very high settings at 1080p with only the occasional spot of lag.
  • Deleted user 12 March 2014 20:55:22
    Brothers

A charming little game. Just randomly decided to play, and i sat it through to completion, I had no idea how long the game would be, or what not, i was just hooked.

The sense of adventure in this is sublime, it kind of reminded me of a cross between dark souls and ico in a way. Around every corner, there was something that surprised me. The world was filled in with lore, and interesting little tidbits and some wonderful settings.

An inventive little game. Controls are a bit awkward, and i felt the last bit of the story (prior it's conclusion, the bit where you hide from the invisible giant, and then get betrayed is a little bit clunky, but other than that, i really recommend it.

I really hope it gets a next gen tidy up as well, the graphics are great anyway, but it could be just that bit spectacular!

7.5/10
  • superbob85 12 Mar 2014 21:56:00 1,730 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Finished Stranglehold on 360 yesterday. Really enjoyed it the fast paced action really worked well with the control system. 7/10.
  • Singularity 13 Mar 2014 22:42:19 2,434 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Another Brothers completion here, and I've just finished The Last Of Us. Both great. Took my brain a while to get the dual stick controls worked put on Brothers. TLOU was typical Naughty Dog, and I loved every moment.
  • kentmonkey 13 Mar 2014 23:01:10 20,448 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Brothers finished here as well.

Loved the 'style' of the game, and the fallen giants level was really well done, the highlight of the game. However some of it just didn't click.

I wanted more from the story than was delivered. It certainly promised a lot more at the start than I felt was eventually delivered, and arguably the best elements of the story were the 'side missions' rather than the main event.

That said, enjoyable and I'm glad I've experienced it. Just perhaps not as memorable or as defining as I had been led to believe it would be.

7/10
  • Vortex808 15 Mar 2014 00:54:17 6,967 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tomb Raider (PS4)

A n enjoyable enough romp. Fun, but not quite what I was expecting. Too many collectibles, not enough tombs. The tombs were also basically one room affairs with minimal puzzles. Having lived through TR1 on, that was a major disappointment.

Graphics were nice enough, but some didn't quite hit my next-gen expectations. The tress stuff needs some work yet.

A solid 7/10. Maybe an 8 on a good day.
  • DUFFMAN5 15 Mar 2014 07:50:12 14,419 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    South Park TSoT
    Time: 20 hours.
    fav buddy: Cartman for ass on fire attacks. Butters for soundbites
    fav "super-friend attack" Mr Hanky "shit-storm"

Loved it, even thought the combat was good with some great spells/effects. The world and characters were full of charm, everybody did such a great job. The story, voice acting and nods to the series were first class. Very short for a RPG and beforehand I was upset at the reported 14-16 completion times. To be fair I think that the length (Jesus Christtt) was perfect

10/10

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• RyanDS 15 Mar 2014 17:16:46 9,062 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thief on ps4

Hmmm... This game was fantastic, with amazing stealth action and some incredibly tense and brilliant moments. I loved the side jobs and finding out how to sneak into some places. One level is also some of the best tension I have seen in a game, where they know they key to horror is less is more.

It is just a shame that between these fun bits there is so much shit.

The hub world... Fucking awful, having to sneak past the same guards every fucking time. Audio was terrible, with the worst voice acting I have seen since 1996. Sometimes when you each a ledge you cannot jump off, sometimes he will jump and sometimes he will fall to his death. It seems to be random with no reason for anything. It is fun running up walls, until suddenly Garrett refuses until you find the right pixel. Load times are long. Did I mention the voice acting? Most characters look good, apart from the main one who just looks weird.

And the map. My god that is the worst map I have ever seen. It doesn't show walls, it leads you in the wrong direction and generally makes navigating a misery,

Despite all this there wee moments of brilliance, but they were swamped by the shit far too often.

6/10. However a sequel, with some polishing could easily be a 9/10 because when it does click it is brilliant. For 10 minutes and then it gets rubbish again.
  • PazJohnMitch 15 Mar 2014 18:14:11 7,816 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Puppeteer

Hugely inventive game and well worth playing regardless of age. There are a few harsh checkpoints but that does not stop it being a thoroughly enjoyable game.

8/10
  • lavalant 15 Mar 2014 20:32:47 1,266 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    superbob85 wrote:
    Finished Stranglehold on 360 yesterday. Really enjoyed it the fast paced action really worked well with the control system. 7/10.
    Fantastic game and it really shits all over Max Payne 3.
  • Page

of 405 First / Last