Recently Completed Games Page 381

• Page

of 426 First / Last

• mrpon 31 Jan 2014 16:59:34 29,587 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think the key to balancing was holding the Vita on a horizontal plain looking down at it. I echo that review though, really loved it. Hope there is some sort of sequel planned or certainly something else of that ilk...Tomb Raider, Uncharted, Last of Us etc..

I'm a third person linear kinda guy.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• oceanmotion 31 Jan 2014 17:15:15 16,129 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Battlefield Bad Company

Guns great as ever. The AI is god awful, god like aiming and vision makes encounters rather one note and not BF online fun. Copy and pasting in campaign wasn't the best but there was a few different bits. I could actually fly a helicopter well in this one. Just single player.

5/10
  • Gunzberg 31 Jan 2014 18:20:46 1,754 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dombat wrote:
    I found the beam balancing bits extremely frustrating, and some of the combat heavy sections dragged on also. I do like the Uncharted games but all of them have a couple of frustrating gun fights in them.

Otherwise it was a fairly enjoyable game. I had no problems with the final boss, but then I only played on normal difficulty. By that point I was bored of all the shooting so I actually didn't mind the QTE fight much.
    The first beam balancing bit was a pain, then I figured it out and they all became a breeze. I was even using the Vita's tilt sensor for 95% of all my headshots. IMO, it's a bit difficult until you figure out you just need to tilt Vita a bit harder left or right

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• dsmx 31 Jan 2014 19:22:58 7,734 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Battlefield Bad Company

Guns great as ever. The AI is god awful, god like aiming and vision makes encounters rather one note and not BF online fun. Copy and pasting in campaign wasn't the best but there was a few different bits. I could actually fly a helicopter well in this one. Just single player.

5/10
    I never get why DICE insist on doing a single player part of the game every single one has been a by the numbers, generic corridor shooting yawn fest. The only reason to play the single player in BF4 is to get the weapon unlocks and even then it's debatable if it's worth the effort.

I always question how much money have they spent making the single player part of the game and thinking they could of spent that same money making all those DLC map packs free instead.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Dombat 31 Jan 2014 19:36:22 359 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It's probably pressure by EA as they think single and multiplayer are both needed to maximise sales.

Although that doesn't explain Titanfall.
  • Raiko101 31 Jan 2014 19:36:30 6,720 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @dsmx That wont be Dice's decision. It'll have been EA's.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Paulie_P 1 Feb 2014 10:35:08 416 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Killzone: Shadowfall
    Dunno about this game, it started off brilliant but is shockingly terrible around the middle levels only for the final couple of levels get better again.

The plot is ridiculous, the Helgen pretty much lost the war but are given half the victor's planet? And a wall is made to separate the two sides, what could possibly go wrong?

Controls are tight, no auto-aiming and it's been a while since I played a FPS without those so it took some getting used to. The OWL was a great addition to the game, I often used it to distract guards while I shot them in the back.

I couldn't be arsed with the collectible a in this game. There are a lot if detours in the levels that lead nowhere and have no purpose so it's a real grind to explore. Compare this to Mario games, each detour gives some sort of reward be it coins, extra lives, Stars, Stamps or secret levels and with the flexibility of Mario's movement, these are a joy to explore. FPS games simply don't offer the same incentives (not since the Doom era).

7/10
  • Progguitarist 1 Feb 2014 20:07:12 10,537 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dice should just release the multiplayer component for 30 quid separately. I'd buy it but I'm fucked if I'm paying 65 euros for a game with a shit single player campaign I'll never bother with.
  • whatthefu 1 Feb 2014 21:18:58 878 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Saints Row IV

7/10
    Fun but essentially repetitive with little attempt to hide it :)
    I liked the super powers and this game was better than prototype which it seemed similar to (the only other super power game I've played).
  • IJ 1 Feb 2014 22:31:03 850 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Killzone: Shadowfall

Just finished the campaign two minutes ago.

It's pretty average isn't it. I got it as part of my PS4 bundle and it's probably just about worth playing for the graphics, which is the only real next-gen graphics game out there. But there are some really basic design errors. Checkpoint BEFORE you press the button to go down on the lift....great. Checkpoint BEFORE an in game cut-scene which you can't skip, lovely, I heard her say the same thing four times. The post-credit mission was a lovely idea, but it was just an exercise in frustration. The stealth mechanics just aren't strong enough. The game didn't seem to make sense half the time, I wasn't really sure why we were doing what we were doing sometimes. The OWL was a nice idea and did sometimes work, but was mostly perfunctory.

Still, probably worth the few hours of your time it takes to complete. Multiplayer isn't my thing but if its as good as you all say, this isn't a bad campaign to stick onto a good multiplayer.

6.5/10
  • Zomoniac 1 Feb 2014 23:13:52 7,997 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Assassin's Creed IV PS4

First AC I've played since 2, which I loved and got 100% on.

This retains the flaws from that one, the erratic camera, unreliable free run mechanic and clunky controls, but without the fun game and rooftop scenery that made it bearable.

As is often a gripe of mine with modern games, it is far too long and far too big. The vast oceans, spontaneous storms and shanty singalongs add some novel atmosphere at first but become very tedious very quickly.

AC2 took me 13 hours to finish the story and another 8 to do the rest. It felt about right. This took 21 hours just doing the story, mostly one painful tail and eavesdrop mission after another, and looking at it I reckon it would take me at least that again to do the rest. 30 assassination side-missions? The whole game feels like a perfect example of quality over quantity.

The outside the Animus stuff is still utterly bollocks, unnecessary and adds nothing. Why do they persist with it? Is there anyone who would prefer they kept it?

I think the most frustrating moments came during big sea battles, trying to get some distance from my enemies to get a long range mortar shot in whilst avoiding cannon fire, only to suddenly be prompted with a red screen and the message "Desynchronised. This area is not available in this memory."

There's definitely the potential for a good game hiding in here somewhere, but this definitely isn't it.

• andytheadequate 1 Feb 2014 23:19:38 8,372 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Deleted

Edited by andytheadequate at 23:20:17 01-02-2014
  • Dombat 1 Feb 2014 23:28:05 359 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Zomoniac I've also not played the series since 2, and your opinions are basically my fears about this one, although I would still like to play it at some point as the setting really appeals to me. I just think my review might turn out similar to yours.
  • whatthefu 1 Feb 2014 23:44:17 878 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I liked AC2 and also played brotherhood, I'm not playing another one til I hear that it has been upgraded and improved some of the problems. Being too long also doesn't interest me.
    The whole animus/sci fi thing is complete bollocks too.

Edited by whatthefu at 23:44:44 01-02-2014
  • Bremenacht 1 Feb 2014 23:48:34 19,665 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's interesting how after all the next-gen launch hoop-la has died down somewhat, familiar reviews like this are creeping out for ACIV, detailing familiar complaints. It seems that for all the next-gen shinies and ship-stuff, there's still a tired game underneath.

What about the story? Anything interesting there? How about the lead characters? Any depth to them or just a veneer of characterisation? Sound and music? All these things, AC2 did very well.
  • PazJohnMitch 2 Feb 2014 00:02:43 8,739 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ACIV's story is ok but nothing to celebrate. The lead character: Kenway however is very good. A number of other characters are also decent.

Essentially the pirating is good but the main missions are weak:
    Go into it to explore the world and pillage boats and you think it is ace.
    Go into it and only play the campaign and you will think it is shite.

I was draw in by the pirating and endured the Assassin Creedness. Overall I felt the whole was very good but would have been better if it was just a pirating adventure and not an Assassin's Creed game.

Edit: Myself and a few others said as much very early after the games release on PS4.

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 00:03:59 02-02-2014
  • Raiko101 2 Feb 2014 02:02:08 6,720 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm not sure what's so interesting about Kenway, to be honest. You watch him slowly become a more considerate being, but he's only ever after one thing and ends up running errands for others just to get it. Much like a GTA plotline.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• ardamillo 2 Feb 2014 10:59:08 525 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bayonetta (360)

Good times from start to finish, looking forward to playing it on Hard next! By the way I picked it up because I enjoyed DmC so much, so good job Capcom/NT

9/10

The World Ends With You (iPad)

A lot to like but in the end its combat brought it down. Swiping and tapping and scratching the screen is just not precise enough on the iPad, and trying to move at the same time almost never works. I think they compensated by making most encounters easy except for a couple of difficulty spikes at bosses.

Great soundtrack though, and good on SE for trying something different

7/10
  • PazJohnMitch 2 Feb 2014 21:17:09 8,739 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Need For Speed: Rivals (PS4)

When it works with multiple people in the same world it is brilliant. Unfortunately the game has so many niggling problems and bugs it just becomes frustrating. I continued playing hoping to relive the joy I got in a few hours near the beginning but it never materialised.

6/10
  • chrisno21 3 Feb 2014 09:06:40 1,548 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Killzone Shadow Fall

Saw the credits roll over the weekend. Visually it's stunning and scratches that next-gen visual itch very well. I only played on normal but it was easy, except for about 3/4 difficulty spikes that were nearly all 'defend' missions where it just broke down into shoot, regen, owl, shoot, die repeat.

The free fall stuff was abysmal, beautiful but abysmal. 7

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• Ultrasoundwave 3 Feb 2014 13:35:15 3,417 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Walking Dead (PS Vita)

Late to the party with this one, been distracted by the PS4/Xbox One though.

From start to finish, i thought it was excellent. What it lacks in gameplay mechanics it makes up for with an excellent story, a stunning setting and superb voice acting. It had me gripped from start to finish in a way that the TV show has only managed on the odd occasion.

Really looking forward to season 2 now, although i think ill wait until it finishes before i play it instead of playing it episodically, i just hope that its also coming to the Vita because its the perfect system for this type of game.

Well done Telltale, superb work.

10/10

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• HelloNo 3 Feb 2014 13:53:57 1,285 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hate Plus

Man that was depressing. Definitely a good experience if you like your visual novels. Must try the route where you have to make a cake at some point.

8/10
  • DrStrangelove 3 Feb 2014 16:23:52 4,669 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Saints Row: The Third (PC)

Got it on a Steam sale once, and was then early on put off by the flimsy-feeling shooting and the horrible handling model. Replayed recently after I got my Dualshock 4 and tried different games with it, and played through two times in a row now, and continue playing.

Not with the DS4, since due to a game bug left stick up/down is inverted, resulting in pushing forward to go backwards and vice versa. But it works very well with key+mouse.

I initially disliked it because it seemed inferior to GTA, due to aforementioned reasons. I learned however to not play it as a GTA clone, but as what it is. Much faster action, and just a lot of frenzy. I loved games like Q3A which were about a lot of fast frenzy, and I still love those games, but somehow I first disliked SR3 for not being as slow as GTA.

I mean, the humour is great. It's a bit like a Jackass mod for GTA. Not much to talk about it, but I love it. GTA feels insecure about if it should be serious or stupid fun, Saints Row is very decided about this. Priority is always stupid fun, don't care about realism or anything, just make it fun. For that alone, it deserves an award, because this focus on fun has become rare among modern "AAA" games.

What's really satisfying is how much it mocks more serious games by being better in most regards. The character creation system mocks RPG's with its ludicrously detailled options, yet it is so good that it dwarfs any other character creation system. You can even choose among different voices, and doing so it humiliates Mass Effect. It runs very smoothly, and camera and controls work properly, in contrast to GTA 4. Not to mention that GTA4 has no character creation at all, only a very limited choice of clothing.

You can disable single radio stations you dislike, again a very welcome improvement over GTA. In GTA, customising a car was pointless because as soon as it exploded, you lost it. Not so in SR3, because you can spawn another one whenever you like at one of your cribs. Plastic surgeons that allow you to start your character creation from scratch aren't exactly realistic, but they are good because they make the game better. Unrealistically, in other games you usually can't even change your hairdo.

In GTA, you lose everything when you die, all weapons and armour, forcing you to buy it all again at one of the few weapon shops. In SR3, the only thing you have to refill is ammo. Fuck realism, it makes the game less annoying, and thus, better. Also, you can save the game whenever you want and don't have to go to your bed in some of your homes. Another design choice of simplicity over annoyance, and all for the better.

There's still the one problem, the car handling. It would be a stretch to say SR3 had any handling model at all. Cornering speeds are so ludicrous that it feels like an RC car. Turning around can be a problem when your car floats sideways instead of, well, behaving like a car. Driving was one thing that made GTA so much fun, but aside from the driving, Saints Row The Third is vastly superior.

It has numerous bugs, and it's not perfect, so I'm not sure about giving it a ten. Then, it's one of the very best games I played in recent years, and so deserves it.

10/10.

Can't wait to play GTA 5 and SR4. From my current experience, I don't expect GTA 5 to be remotely as good as SR4.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 16:27:57 03-02-2014
  • whatthefu 3 Feb 2014 17:16:07 878 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SRIV is the same but with super powers and aliens :)
    Same dodgy car handling mind.
  • DrStrangelove 3 Feb 2014 18:07:36 4,669 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @whatthefu

Yeah I tried it on a frienf's PC, at least the beginning, looked good. Didn't play GTA5 so far, but it has a long way to go to even match SR3.
  • SomaticSense 3 Feb 2014 20:29:36 9,181 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's completely unfair to both games to compare them though. They are so different from each other now that it would like comparing Mario Kart to Forza. Or Apocalypse Now to Rambo 3.

Both are amazing games, but for polar opposite reasons.
  • MadCaddy13 3 Feb 2014 20:40:53 2,064 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just completed lego marvel on ps4. Lovely looking game indeed. Quite funny.
    Is this game properly aimed at kids? It was brain dead easy. Not really played any of the lego series so I'm a bit of a noob to it all.

still had some fun but I don't think ill be 100%ing it. 17% at the mo!
  • SomaticSense 3 Feb 2014 21:34:48 9,181 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Crysis 3 (PS3)

Stunning looking graphics, great gunplay, nanosuit as fun to use and abuse as ever, and the bow was immense fun.

But what a surprise, they add aliens to the mix again a couple of hours in, and guess what? The game becomes much less fun. Which was a huge surprise... *ahem*. Lessons learnt? Seems not. Three for three.

That predictable traditional downturn and an atrocious final boss aside (which was a perfect example of the lazy kind of unfun, vague, and frustrating boss design so many modern shooters are guilty of, most notably Crysis 1), I really enjoyed it overall. Even if the majority of that enjoyment came within the first few empowering hours.

8/10
  • docrob 3 Feb 2014 23:32:34 326 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Grand Theft Auto 5

Finished the story missions today, though I'm still at about 75%.

Had more fun with this than with any GTA since Vice City. They took number 4, put in proper checkpointing, took out the whiny friends mechanic and introduced the 3-character idea, which cuts down massively on wasted time.

Only had a couple of minor gripes. The auto-aim makes some of the shooting sections a bit on the easy side (though not having it only really works if you have mouse and keyboard). Also, although the story was good, it got annoying listening to Michael and Trevor have the same argument over and over again.

I don't often play a lot of DLC, but I really hope there's some coming out for this soon.

10/10
  • Punctum 3 Feb 2014 23:35:04 1,045 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    It's completely unfair to both games to compare them though. They are so different from each other now that it would like comparing Mario Kart to Forza. Or Apocalypse Now to Rambo 3.

Both are amazing games, but for polar opposite reasons.
    No they're not. They're films.
  • Page

of 426 First / Last