Recently Completed Games Page 367

• Page

of 405 First / Last

• Rhaegyr 20 Nov 2013 22:52:57 1,407 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Syphon* guys!

Agreed about the PSP version - far and away the best one. I always thought it had a certain charm, and I'll never forget that sideways run.
  • Deleted user 20 November 2013 23:06:44
    (WiiU) Windwaker HD on (Hero Difficulty) 94% (GC version at the time 100%)

This is my fourth time completing Wind Waker since it first released on the Gamecube and probably the time when I've completed the most side quests , except the Forest Haven tree watering quest and getting “all” the pictographs to the sculptor for the Nintendo gallery.

All in all, the HD make over is great with off-screen play and adds some nice UI touches using the tablet(but don't quite better the cube pad), but it still really misses fixing any of the significant design issues or issues from the upscale (clipping bugs, camera issues, iffy z targeting or letting you return to the finished game world, to mop up all the side quests like an AC game does, without having to do them before the ending).

I still had a great time playing it (again) and would still rate it as one of the best games ever on any system for its stunning immersion from the game art and great story, puzzles and world you play in.

I've completed Skyward sword quite recently and would think it is fair to say that the motion controls of skyward sword are the definitive zelda game control method so far, and a huge shame that this re-release didn't result in two versions on one disc; an original HD(like this) and another version being completely reworked to add motion controls with improved z-targeting.
  • Matt36 21 Nov 2013 01:00:39 1,313 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The way the Wii & WiiU uses their controls now, has killed all love for Zelda etc. Such a shame :(

Can you use GC pad on the Wii U by any chance?
  • Deleted user 21 November 2013 01:11:47
    Sadly no.

I've got a Wii U pro-controller, and you can use that with WW HD. But the game was so well crafted around the design and positioning of the asymmetric layout of the cube pad, that I found myself pressing the wrong buttons when playing WWHD with it.

The WiiU tablet is by far the nicest way to play the HD remake imo, and it works really well. But know how perfection driven Nintendo are in delivering games, they would have done much more with the WW HD version had they been able to release it six or twelve months later.
  • Matt36 21 Nov 2013 01:20:46 1,313 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I bet. I hope a friend picks this up. I don't want to buy a WiiU unless a proper 3D Pokemon comes out. A HD remake isn't enough to make me want it.
  • Deleted user 21 November 2013 09:09:42
    Quake 4
    (360)

Despite the abysmal framerate I had a good time with this. If I hadn't played it a couple of times on pc in the past I don't think I would have bothered to do much past the first level. Playing as it did like a slideshow sometimes. Putting my rose tinted glasses firmly on however I still very much enjoyed it. Still holds up visually with some brilliant design and lighting effects and I love the strogg as bad guys.

A solid 8 with rose tinted specs
    Probably a 4 without.

Now... To try and finish prey... Which I am not getting on well with. It's alright but... Crap weapons and crap bad guys make it a chore.
  • Megapocalypse 21 Nov 2013 09:25:22 5,309 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I preferred Prey to Quake 4.
  • Matt36 21 Nov 2013 09:25:30 1,313 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You're a brave man playing these. I went back to Kameo the other day. Horrendous.
  • BeardedGamerUK 21 Nov 2013 12:08:31 1,303 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Megapocalypse wrote:
    I preferred Prey to Quake 4.
    So did I.
  • dominalien 21 Nov 2013 12:12:56 6,829 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Prey was surprisingly competent. That said, I only played it because there is a Linux version.

PSN: DonOsito

• DUFFMAN5 21 Nov 2013 12:13:33 14,392 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    I didn't think much of the Siphon Filter games back in the day. I don't think they've aged all too well now, either. The rest of them have, though.
    How topical. I was only this morning looking yo see if Logan's Shadow plays on the vita, according to the net it does, download to PS3 first though.

Loved the Syphon Filter games to death apart from Omega Strain? The PS2 one. Dark Mirror was and is the only game I bothered to complete on the PSP!

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Deleted user 21 November 2013 12:22:43
    Maybe I've not given prey enough attention. I'm about half way through only playing it in fits and starts. I will finish it, I'm stubborn. Perhaps a solid sesh on it will grip me more.

I do like the music though.

Considering the age of these games I don't think they've aged too badly. Whatever happened to Human Head? I loved Rune back in the day...

Edited by BillCityfingers at 12:23:37 21-11-2013
  • CitizenGeek 21 Nov 2013 23:07:43 3,527 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Heavy Rain
    Didn't really feel like a game, but I enjoyed it a lot. Excellent story, pacing, characters, atmosphere, graphics and soundtrack. I had spoiled the biggest twist in the game's plot for myself through carelessness, so I guess some of the tension and mystery was just not there for me, though.
    7/10

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
    More of the same, really, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. Good, because it's gorgeous and polished with great story-telling and some cool mechanics, but bad because the combat is frequently frustrating and overly difficult. For me at least, the regular and enormous difficult spikes in this Uncharted and the previous one have honestly marred what should be unequivocally excellent games. I think the first game is probably my favourite in the series because the combat was always fun and challenging without becoming frustrating. Still, a very impressive game.
    8/10

Bioshock Infinite
    Truly excellent in many ways. I love the presentation and aesthetics of the Bioshock series, and the story and characters were, overall, pretty great. I didn't like the sort of phony equivalency drawn between the exploitative industrialists and white supremacists that make up the ruling class on Columbia and the impoverished Vox Populi who rebel against them. The politics of the game are actually really, really fucked up (or, at least, really naive and simplistic which grates because Infinite obviously takes itself somewhat seriously) in that sense. I really liked the combat but Elizabeth's ability to draw in supporting objects like extra ammo or turrets seemed underused and a bit gimmicky. Loved it in general, my biggest problem with it was that it was too short!
    8/10

Edited by CitizenGeek at 15:22:38 07-05-2014
  • Deleted user 22 November 2013 09:52:34
    @Matt36 For the love of God whatever you do, do not feel obliged to play the second just to see where the story goes. Even in the star wars universe, it's fucking ridiculous and doesn't go anywhere. It's over in 4 and a half hours but it feels like a lifetime due to killing the same things (with QTE's) over and over.
  • TheHammerite 22 Nov 2013 15:18:37 1,512 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Quake 4 was absolute shite. The A.I. was beyond a joke. Doom 3 at least had some scares.

I did enjoy Quake 1 and 2 though.
  • Deleted user 22 November 2013 15:30:44
    Didn't notice the AI being worse than any other game released about the same time.
  • nickthegun 22 Nov 2013 15:35:49 58,782 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Its a video game. I dont mean that flippantly, but its a video game. It allows you to play as a cyborg who can hold a sword in his feet, while skipping across a cloud of missiles to throw a giant robot into a building.

Its *exactly* the kind of game I want to play. It doesnt bore you with an hour of tutorials, it has stealth sections that it actively encourages you to ignore, its insane and its brilliant.

More of this please, games industry.

9/10

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Short-Round 22 Nov 2013 16:01:45 1,181 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Completed that myself last night. Really good combat system (once I'd worked out the slow-mo attacks), but Raiden is one of the most 'festive' characters I've ever seen, who signed off on that haircut?!
  • neil74 23 Nov 2013 16:06:10 2,306 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kill zone 3. Really enjoyed it, Better than KZ2 and just felt generally tighter. Also the first game I have played in 3D

8/10
  • Gunzberg 24 Nov 2013 17:18:41 1,730 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Contrast X360 65%

+Art direction
    +Music

-Short (under 3 hours)
    -Expensive at £11.99 given its length
    - Gameplay fairly repetetive
    - Gameplay so buggy with characters and objects constantly getting permanently stuck requiring a restart of 1/3 of the game
    - Yes, that's right. If your character gets stuck which happens a lot then u have to restart an entire ACT not a level not a checkpoint, the entire ACT
    - The theatre princess scene so raved about by reviewers is actually one of the shittest parts of the game with some seriously crap hitboxing on enemies requiring a zillion restarts
    -Your protagonist is a nobody, no character, no voice, no interaction. The girl who guides you has quite a grating voice in the English dub
    - The story promises intrigue in the first 30min but fizzles out completely

In summary, if you like something different in terms of art style and are prepared to spend an evening cursing the game over and over again then buy this. Everyone else, avoid.

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• Rajin 24 Nov 2013 19:24:15 614 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Metal Gear Solid 2: 9/10

Nearly perfect game that has only become slightly dated due to the controlls, but once you get back into the flow of how games worked back then it is brilliant. Although it has some of the best bossfights of MGS, it has less of them(i don't include the harrier because it reminds me to much of the Hind). The HD version also looks great if you can ignore the lyp syncing and some of the animations. Story is for most part on par with MGS(Liquid Ocelot is just well... i just pretended that he was 100% ocelot). Besides some minor controll gripes i do think that some of the shells could have been a bit bigger in size allowing more freedom of aproach. It is rather straightforward and a cluster of small rooms. While i understand that it is a clean-up facility i would have liked some more variation(although this could all have been because of technical difficulties, it was a launch game for the ps2 after all and looked brilliant when it came out).

Next is 3 or peacewalker, not sure yet which i should play perhaps anyone here can recommend me one above the other?(i have played 3 before)

Perhaps this is where MGS should have ended story wise(the ending clearly shows signs of closure but is at the same time open-ended). I had great memories of MGS IV because i had actually forgotten about some of the plotlines of the previous games. After playing 1 and 2 in a row i suddenly see IV in a different less positive light. I found a interesting analysis about MGS IV that says that it represents Kojima's state of mind and generally his fatique over the MGS serie that he is ''forced'' to produce both by Konami(otherwise they find a different studio to continue the serie as they did before) and his fans. I am still hopefull that MGS V will perfect the gameplay found in chapter 1 and 2 but with a emphasis on sneaking.

Edited by Rajin at 19:24:31 24-11-2013

Edited by Rajin at 20:20:47 24-11-2013
  • hypoBla5t 24 Nov 2013 19:37:33 1,359 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yakuza 4

Delicious slice of Japanese culture served with vicious brawling and a side of involving but convoluted plot.

9/10
  • neil74 24 Nov 2013 19:46:50 2,306 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rajin wrote:
    Metal Gear Solid 2: 9/10

Nearly perfect game that has only become slightly dated with some of its controlls, .
    I have started mgs2 several times but have never been able to get last the controls or the cheese. I have the HD collection on my vita so maybe one day......
  • TheRum 24 Nov 2013 19:47:33 12 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Red Faction Armageddon

Fruity third person fun where you can pretend you're a priest of Sigmar on Mars wielding a mighty hammer smiting bugs. Pretty average but the vehicle bits made me feel powerful and like a real man.

Bought on a humble bundle so joyously cheap but I would of cried if paid full price for this average shooter.

6/10
  • FuzzyDuck 24 Nov 2013 20:04:32 3,892 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Its a video game. I dont mean that flippantly, but its a video game. It allows you to play as a cyborg who can hold a sword in his feet, while skipping across a cloud of missiles to throw a giant robot into a building.

Its *exactly* the kind of game I want to play. It doesnt bore you with an hour of tutorials, it has stealth sections that it actively encourages you to ignore, its insane and its brilliant.

9/10
    Quoted for troof.
  • TechnoHippy 24 Nov 2013 20:07:58 14,698 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Diablo III

I enjoyed playing through the first two games back in the day and this latest incarnation proved no exception. It follows the same path as the previous games, the world of Sanctuary is threatened by evil and it's up to a hero to save the day. The story follows a familiar path and while it has a few twists along the way it's nothing special.

However the cutscenes used to tell the story are fantastic, they are lovingly rendered and the animation is superb. Like the story the game itself treads old ground and that works for me as the previous games were such fun to play.

It's an action RPG, which means you fight monsters and complete quests earning experience as you go. Experience means you level up and your character gets stronger. Collecting loot is also important, providing new weapons and equipment, or goods to sell to buy the same.

Level design isn't anything new, you enter a variety of lands and dungeons and kill pretty much everything you find. So the game isn't anything new, so why is it so much fun? It does a great job of making your character feel powerful. At the start of a new act you tread carefully, you're barely stronger than the monsters and if you get surrounded then it's respawn time.

But once you've levelled up and gained new weapons and armour you start to wade through the enemies and it feels satisfying. The process is repeated with each area, but with new monsters, it doesn't require much thought, but that doesn't matter.

the game is highly polished resulting in a solid experience, it's good fun all the way. If you enjoy running around and hitting things (in a game naturally!) then this is highly recommended.

8/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Rajin 24 Nov 2013 20:27:36 614 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @neil74

I actually thought that the tanker level more or less avoids the issue of its controll scheme(Olga does introduce the issue of a detached 1st person view), it becomes apparent after and during the Fatman. My advice: Use the Radar Type 2 to avoid some of these problems.

But i think it is something you could get past by, there are games which controlls are way worse and i thought that MGS3 controlls worse because of the lack of a real radar.
  • Derblington 24 Nov 2013 20:36:56 21,268 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ryse: Son of Rome

Beautiful. Probably the best looking game I've played. Gameplay is shallow and repetitive but entertaining enough to run through.
  • Matt36 24 Nov 2013 21:02:24 1,313 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:

9/10
    2nd this again!!
  • SolidSCB 24 Nov 2013 21:37:21 6,387 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Metal Gear Solid (PS1)

Thought it'd be fitting with the PS4 arriving on Friday that I play through my favourite series on the PS consoles. It'll be all downhill from here though, because this is the best game that will probably ever be made.

140.15/10
  • Page

of 405 First / Last