Recently Completed Games Page 365

• Page

of 419 First / Last

• treegreen 11 Nov 2013 00:20:56 108 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Wind Waker HD

I never played the gamecube version so it all felt fresh to me. I preferred the fewer dungeons and greater emphasis on exploring. An absolute classic.

10/10
  • TheMayorOfJugs 11 Nov 2013 01:10:42 4,091 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @darkmorgado Good review, comprehensive, can tell you enjoyed it but it won't be for everyone :D
    Think you've covered everything. While the ship combat wasn't my favourite, reading that the overall slog-ness of 3, which I ended up finishing almost only out of spite (I can still hear the tomohawk noise from pressing square while running ridiculous distances between missions and not being engaged in combat) has been cut out, definitely has me leaning more towards a purchase.....
    In fact, I'd stride right out now and buy it (in theory, a 24/7 game shop is but a fleeting dream for now), only I'm wondering whether to wait for the ps4 version....
  • spamdangled 11 Nov 2013 01:19:06 27,415 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @TheMayorOfJugs

Cheers. It's definitely not likely to win any new converts to the series, but it certainly does a lot to rectify a lot of the ill will that the previous game generated. Edward is a large part of this, and I found myself enjoying the time spent in his company far more than the angsty Connor.

One final thing is that yes, like all previous games in the series, this one ends with something of a cliffhanger with plenty of new questions raised about where the overarching story will go from here on. But as all games in the series provide a very useful recap of the events in previous games, if you missed one or more of the previous entries then getting up to speed with the story is a pretty simple affair.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Phattso Moderator 11 Nov 2013 01:44:25 13,616 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Starcraft II: Wings of Blah Blah

Took a while, but finally worked my way through the campaign. I played through on Normal (sofa gamer, so quick reactions with the mouse are out) but even so it was a cakewalk and I think I sorta ruined the game for myself.

But still: schlocky scifi bollocks storyline: CHECK. Massive variety in missions: CHECK. Result.

Was excellent to be running it at 1080p with settings cranked to maximum and not seeing a single dropped frame despite sometimes having obscene amounts of units on screen.

Probably a 7/10 for me. Might've been more if I'd played it on Hard and at time of release rather than three years later.
  • spamdangled 11 Nov 2013 01:56:44 27,415 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Phattso

Heart of the Swarm is very good, with even more mission variety and a little more an RPG feel.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• bronzemedal 11 Nov 2013 11:11:20 36 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    After playing ICO HD thought I'd go for something lighthearted:

Rayman Legends (Wii U)

Saw the credits roll last night, but there still seems a whole other world to complete and a massive chunk of the Origins levels left. I actually want to play them, in fact I can't knock this game in anyway, it's almost the perfect 2D platformer. Glad I chose this over the Mario U game (decided to wait for 3D World to get my Mario fix). Really good, would recommend to everyone with even a passing interest in platformers.

10/10

Sonic: Lost World (Wii U)

I didn't actually complete this. I got within 2 levels of the final boss battle and decided to put it down. I have no idea why I stuck with it that long, it's pretty abysmal -- poor gameplay (sonic handles terribly), crap level design and 100s of cheap, frustrating deaths. As a fan of Generations, which I thought was a brilliant game, this is just disappointing. What they've tried to do just doesn't work. Graphics are lovely, but you can't polish a turd.

3/10
  • Stranded87 11 Nov 2013 11:56:09 924 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @neil74 Surely Tomb Raider is far more guilty of the criticisms you leveled at TLoU, I certainly thought it was anyway, it was full of enemies including sections with wave after wave and all in all had a totally unrealistic number, so seems strange that it was your GoTY.

Edited by Stranded87 at 11:56:47 11-11-2013
  • FuzzyDuck 11 Nov 2013 12:12:22 4,449 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    neil74 wrote:
    Seriously?

Throughout the game there was bad guy after bad guy and that last level how many armed men can fit in one building?

Still a great game but Just felt like padding
    I played through it 5 times and can nearly tell from memory when, where and how many baddies you'll encounter.

There's large chunks of the game where you don't see any bad guys for ages.
  • IJ 11 Nov 2013 12:31:19 841 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bioshock: Infinite

I loved the first two Bioshocks (the second has a slow start but matched the first after a few hours) so was really looking forward to playing this. For the opening few hours the game certainly delivers. I remember the first game stunning me with it's graphics, Infinite did the same throughout the game. It's probably the most visually sumptuous game I've ever played and a stunning achievement on the old consoles (I played on 360). To deliver those graphics in a much more open world (the origianl was stunning but the areas were small) is a great achievement.

The game does a great job of setting up the world, the posters, the inhabitants wandering around and having conversations, the fairly open areas you can wander around in at the start, all were excellent. Elisabeth is a triumph, excellent voice acting and potentially the best animation I've seen in a game. She looks after herself and quickly becomes the best thing in the game. So the story, settings, graphics are all fantastic.

But, the gameplay didn't quite match it. The skylines were a fantastic idea and when they worked provided a real blast. But there were relatively few combat areas where they were used and often it was pretty hard to really see what was going on when on them. I mostly used them to escape when I was losing and apart from the enemy that can stop you using them....you were basically invulnerable on them. The weapons were ok but there were too many, and the powers were ok but nothing really essential. I think there was two problems, one is that enemies are quite hard hitting. I played on medium and if you ducked out of cover to melee them or use some powers, you could very very quickly get taken down. I think this is one game where playing it on easy so you can stroll around the battlefields and have fun is a good idea.

The second I think is a real design error. Each battle was like a normal FPS, you entered from the left and fought your way to the right. This often meant I'd killed everything when I found that patch of oil or water, or this sniper point. The first Bioshock had the Big Daddies you had to take on, this meant me looking around the battlefield, planting traps, planning my assult. The second had the big sisters, again, allowing me to plan, use the trap version of the powers etc. Infinite really missed this planning part of the combat. I had to replay the final battle 4 or 5 times before I beat it, and I didn't really have fun fighting it, which says a lot.

I also do not get the looting of bins, people, etc etc. I don't see the design reason for it, it's just annoying. For 1999 mode fine, but for the normal game why? I guess it's to encourage players to explore the areas completely, but it's just a waste of the players time, double tapping X on everything they see.

Still, the story was excellent (and a good, satisfying ending without a boss battle) and the production was top notch. The combat was still largely enjoyable and it was about the right length.

9/10

I don't think this reads like a 9/10, but it's like A story of Two Brothers, where the story and experience raise it above just the pure gameplay mechanics.
  • RyanDS 11 Nov 2013 12:40:14 9,600 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    [b[Remember Me on PS3

A game I would never had played had it not been a PS+ freebie. And I would have been all the poorer for not doing so.

Wonderfull little game, full of character and ambition and Frenchness. (As in some games are just French with a capital F. Stylish, actual realistic woman protaganist and dystopic. Reminds me greatly of Beyond Good and Evil.)

I particularly liked that when I was bitching about difficulty spikes I realised that some rejigging of the combos made them easy, so it was my own fault.

8/10
  • neil74 12 Nov 2013 11:52:42 2,306 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I probably meant too much combat rather than never ending, I never got the sense they were constantly re-spawaning I just felt that there was too much combat. It is probably a naughty dog thing and I'd say the same thing about the uncharted games. It is a tough balance. That building in the final level for example contains an implausable number of bad guys IMO.

I'd also totally agree that Tombraider also suffers from this but other than the shanty town it never really annoyed me too much. I'd say I enjoyed Tombraider more than TLOU (but only just), both were great games though.

Currently playing Beyond 2 souls, 3/4 of the way through and I am still not sure what I think of it!

Edited by neil74 at 11:53:45 12-11-2013
  • PazJohnMitch 12 Nov 2013 12:15:09 8,410 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Agree that there was too much combat in TLoU but I still preferred it to TR. Both would possibly be better games with a few less enemies.

Started TR: Underworld a few days ago. Not played any of the previous TRs. I think I prefer the TR:U approach but the recent game is far more morish and pulled me through to the end. (Whereas I am likely to abandon TR:U, although that is also due to a hopeless camera and dodgy collision detection).
  • Kay 12 Nov 2013 12:24:48 17,936 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    neil74 wrote:
    I probably meant too much combat rather than never ending, I never got the sense they were constantly re-spawaning I just felt that there was too much combat. It is probably a naughty dog thing and I'd say the same thing about the uncharted games. It is a tough balance. That building in the final level for example contains an implausable number of bad guys IMO.
    What difficulty level did you play it on? I played it on hard and never found the combat to be a chore, and I'm usually the first to complain about that sort of thing. Unlike Uncharted it never felt like a shooting gallery, probably because the combat has a lot more depth with stealth playing a big part.

That last bit does have a lot of bad guys, but still perfectly plausible considering the scenario, and there were no stupid difficulty spikes or ultra-hard bosses to worry about either.
  • santashi 12 Nov 2013 12:30:38 5,167 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    (Finally!) finished Project Diva f. Along with Theatrhythm, which I got around the same time, it was my first rhythm game, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Very well designed so that you can definitely feel yourself improving the more you play. Controls are very precise. The songs are mostly pretty catchy, too, and the videos are generally engaging.

There's a good amount of content (I managed to spend nearly 60 hours playing on it) and only a few minor niggles like the strangely low res menu images and the initial load time for songs (made more bearable by the huge amount of loading artwork).

Really recommend it, unless you absolutely loathe Vocaloid music.

9/10

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• Deleted user 12 November 2013 12:44:33
    BEYOND TWO SOULS

I really enjoyed this but thats not too say I had huge problems with some of it.

Highlights
    Making Jodie drink everything she could get her hands on.
    Certain parts where you could just mess around with Aiden.
    Characters like Cole, Jodie, Saleem and the homeless were great.
    Looked mighty purty.

Lowlights
    Ryan, Professor Dafoe were kinda schmeh.
    The widescreen format ( though this is a minor niggle )
    The Stealth Sections.
    The Jumpy Narrative.
    Navajo.

Yeah I'd give it around 68% overall. Might play duo mode with a friend over christmas just to see if its any different.
  • Dombat 12 Nov 2013 12:45:28 301 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    neil74 wrote:
    I agree TBH, there were two or three moments in the game where I got frustrated with the amount of enemies being thrown at me and just darted for the next area whilst being shot at or chased. Especially with the first part of the final level. I felt like I cheated the game a bit afterwards because it seemed like simply making it through a door or passageway to a new cutscene is enough to shake them off.

One of those moments was that hotel cellar segment, where I was genuinely just running in fear. I think it worked well there.

Despite some minor frustrations it is still my GOTY though.
  • neil74 12 Nov 2013 13:08:00 2,306 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Agree that there was too much combat in TLoU but I still preferred it to TR. Both would possibly be better games with a few less enemies.

Started TR: Underworld a few days ago. Not played any of the previous TRs. I think I prefer the TR:U approach but the recent game is far more morish and pulled me through to the end. (Whereas I am likely to abandon TR:U, although that is also due to a hopeless camera and dodgy collision detection).
    Totally agree, I'd prefer if they knocked a couple of hours off and reduce the combat, ditto for uncharted.

Of the previous TRs I enjoyed TRU a solid 7 or 8/10 IMO my favourite though is anniversary, that is well worth a play.
  • PazJohnMitch 12 Nov 2013 14:06:29 8,410 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That is good to know as I also own Anniversary.
  • khaz 12 Nov 2013 14:25:49 2,819 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    WeakOrbit wrote:
    BEYOND TWO SOULS

I really enjoyed this but thats not too say I had huge problems with some of it.

Highlights
    Making Jodie drink everything she could get her hands on.
    Certain parts where you could just mess around with Aiden.
    Characters like Cole, Jodie, Saleem and the homeless were great.
    Looked mighty purty.

Lowlights
    Ryan, Professor Dafoe were kinda schmeh.
    The widescreen format ( though this is a minor niggle )
    The Stealth Sections.
    The Jumpy Narrative.
    Navajo.

Yeah I'd give it around 68% overall. Might play duo mode with a friend over christmas just to see if its any different.
    Many sections have no indication that you can make a different choice. Keep your eyes and ears open.
  • figaro7 13 Nov 2013 10:00:22 1,371 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Saints Row 4

+A better superhero game than most super hero games
    +Fantastic arcade gameplay with excellent controls
    +Grows on you over time
    +Dubstep Gun!
    +Does a decent job if movie ripping

-Saints row by name only, dont go in expecting otherwise
    -Game world is dull
    -Tries too hard to be funny and comes off looking silly
    -Side quests are repetitive

An interesting game that grows on you overtime, pretend its not a saints row game and youll enjoy it for what it is, it nails the super hero powers and the ease of controls to use them.

7/10
  • HarryPalmer 13 Nov 2013 10:59:20 3,427 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    [b[Remember Me on PS3

A game I would never had played had it not been a PS+ freebie. And I would have been all the poorer for not doing so.

Wonderfull little game, full of character and ambition and Frenchness. (As in some games are just French with a capital F. Stylish, actual realistic woman protaganist and dystopic. Reminds me greatly of Beyond Good and Evil.)

I particularly liked that when I was bitching about difficulty spikes I realised that some rejigging of the combos made them easy, so it was my own fault.

8/10
    Not completed this yet, but I concur. Fantastic game, so glad PS+ made it available. Really great art design, the locations are fantastic, with some great details. Wandering through peoples apartments reveals some lovely touches. The plot is very contrived, but based on an interesting concept. The memory remixes are a great change of pace (although the head of a memory manipulation corporation not realising her memory has been manipulated is a bit of a stretch).

I recommend playing it with the French voice actors, really adds to the immersion, plus the actors are better.
  • Rens11 13 Nov 2013 12:54:25 1,422 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    neil74 wrote:

I'd also totally agree that Tombraider also suffers from this but other than the shanty town it never really annoyed me too much. I'd say I enjoyed Tombraider more than TLOU (but only just), both were great games though.

Currently playing Beyond 2 souls, 3/4 of the way through and I am still not sure what I think of it!
    an implausible number of enemies!? How many would you use if you were guarding the most important thing for human life? There weren't even that many anyway!/spoiler]

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• Deleted user 13 November 2013 20:22:47
    Metal Gear Rising: Revengence.

+ Once mastered, or got the hang of, Combat is a lot of fun, physical, and weighty
    + Spectacular set pieces
    + Silly
    + Lovely graphics
    + Confident, fun, tounge in cheek
    + Fair, i felt the way to get health was good, whislt at the same time, you could get destroyed.

- Took a while to get the hang off
    - Even by the time i got to the last boss, i was struggling with some aspects of the combat
    - Pretty linear in terms of scope
    - Story is a weird one, it like carry on metal gear, has it waffling and pseudo politics, but it doesn;t pull it off in the same way as a kojima script
    - Camera
    -Desperatly needs a tutorial, combat, and little things ( it wasn't till about half way i found out i had health packs)

I enjoyed this immensly, it was a lot of fun. I enjoyed every moment of it, bar a couple of how do i play this fucking game moments. Firstly the combat, it wasn't till chapter 3 i got the hang of the parry technique, and the dodge move , i struggle in parts up till then, afterwards, the combat opens up, and battles are engaging, especially as you unlock more ways to cut things up. But even on the lass boss, i struggled with little things like the use of the blade mode when prompted, it works fine in dismantling enemies prior to that, but when used in a life and death situation, i had to relearn how to use it. So that side was frustrating. At the same time, in a way i appreciated it, the bosses you have to learn - even if they are pretty similar, i found myself working out the bosses in a good way, to have a good few rounds with each one.

I loved the OTT nature of it, from running up buildings , the enemies, too slicing people in half, or a million peices. It felt fresh, physical, and weighty. I never bored of it, despite the very linear nature of the game.

Its a great addition to the franchise, whilst standing up on its own.

8.5/10

Edited by joelstinton at 20:23:29 13-11-2013
  • Rhaegyr 15 Nov 2013 20:16:56 2,415 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Swapper (PC)

someofthehardestpuzzlesever/10

Great game - just wished it was a little longer.
  • neil74 15 Nov 2013 20:58:23 2,306 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Beyond two Souls....

No idea how to score this one. On a positive note the story was pretty engrossing but too many of the levels felt unrelated to the main thread other than flesh out Jodie's character.

The gameplay is another matter, I found the controls were frustrating, not in a heavy rain give up and eBay the game after a few hours kind of way but irritating nonetheless I felt like the controls got in the way and even when at the end the qtes and flashbacks were uniintuitive.. There is also as many a review have pointed out the fact that you often feel like a passenger rather than a participant .

Tricky. I'm going with 7/10 for the overall experience, if they'd wrapped the story in a better GAME this could have been a 10/10
  • Phattso Moderator 16 Nov 2013 10:35:53 13,616 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (PC)

Just posted in the thread: http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/post/252045/9982196

Fucking excellent. Best fiver I've spent all year, money better spent than even than pic 'n' mix. And I fucking love pic 'n' mix.

9/10
  • arsenalherd 16 Nov 2013 10:40:20 120 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    CoD Ghosts - first Duty game i had played and really enjoyed the campaign, few games online but i really am crud at the moment.
  • Rev0Knuckle 16 Nov 2013 11:58:11 9 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    GTAV

Single player
    Worthy of the hype, lost count of the amount of times I just stopped and stared at the scenery or got lost in the ambience. The level of detail is exquisite.

The controls are still typical rockstar though i.e. sluggish, and that's the only downside I had.

Couldve been so much better. It's still a riot with the right people on with you. But by and large it's just online races and the longest loading times ever, coupled with a lot of game freezing bugs it's a bit half baked. Plus the world loses a lot of the little details in online mode, as the visuals are scaled back.

It's still fun but would've worked a lot better on next gen I feel.

Overall it's still an awesome game but don't expect much from online. At least not any time soon as I get the feeling Rockstar have a lot to fix!
  • welshben23 16 Nov 2013 12:11:56 1,096 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rev0Knuckle wrote:
    GTAV

Single player
    Worthy of the hype, lost count of the amount of times I just stopped and stared at the scenery or got lost in the ambience. The level of detail is exquisite.

The controls are still typical rockstar though i.e. sluggish, and that's the only downside I had.

Couldve been so much better. It's still a riot with the right people on with you. But by and large it's just online races and the longest loading times ever, coupled with a lot of game freezing bugs it's a bit half baked. Plus the world loses a lot of the little details in online mode, as the visuals are scaled back.

It's still fun but would've worked a lot better on next gen I feel.

Overall it's still an awesome game but don't expect much from online. At least not any time soon as I get the feeling Rockstar have a lot to fix!
    :lol::lol: When did you start playing the Online part of the game?
  • Rev0Knuckle 16 Nov 2013 14:49:11 9 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    welshben23 wrote:

:lol::lol: When did you start playing the Online part of the game?
    Well I started playing it at launch but I'm still playing it now, although I feel I shall be retiring from it soon. But considering I'm at rank 91 I think I've given it a fair chance!
  • Page

of 419 First / Last