Recently Completed Games Page 364

• Page

of 414 First / Last

• Raiko101 7 Nov 2013 11:36:32 6,342 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SteamWorld Dig (3DS)

A great little game, this one. It feels almost like a cross-breed between Minecraft's Survival mode and the Metroid games. You're basically exploring open mines, looking for ore that you can sell to upgrade your equipment. Besides that, you can uncover caves that hide new abilites and items that make navigation and combat a little more interesting.

My first playthrough lasted 6 1/2 hours and that actually felt like the 'right' kind of length for a game like this. Much longer and the experience might have begun to drag a little. As it is, the game isn't meant to be a long one. Not only do the mines randomly generate each time you start over, but you're given ratings on how long it took you to complete, how much of the ore you found and how many times you died. Two features that'll add replay value when I do decide to return to it.

If you've got a 3DS, you should give this one a go.

4/5

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 7 Nov 2013 13:18:57 6,652 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Rage.

Great looking on the PC but it's pretty funny how it just ends once you flip a switch. Thoroughly enjoyed it tbh.

8/10
  • CharlieStCloud 7 Nov 2013 13:46:00 5,219 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @bitch_tits_zero_nine

Not overly sure what the gun is called in Rage, but it is the equivalent of the BFG in DOOM.

... I never fired a round. Why?

Because I wanted to save it for the enormously monsterously FILLS-THE-ENTIRE-SCREEN last final end boss.

*flips switch*

Oh.

Thanks (!)
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 7 Nov 2013 14:23:12 6,652 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @CharlieStCloud hah, yep, I did the same, shotgun all the way to the end! That massive mutant when you first get the rocket launcher?? Viewed in the wider context was weird, nothing like that fight before or after :D

Edited by bitch_tits_zero_nine at 14:23:41 07-11-2013
  • bladdard 7 Nov 2013 22:10:48 954 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Beyond Two Souls

Firstly is it a game or an interactive experience? Well if The Walking Dead is a game, if Monkey Island is a game then yes this has as much gameplay as any point and click or QTE driven gameplay.

Secondly story and plot, it's good by video game standards. It's like an average Dan Brown mixed with Steven King.

Gameplay wise it's simply follow the on screen prompts but experience wise it's sometimes dull but often incredible and emotional. Visually it's a tour de force, best looking game on the PS3 by a country mile.

So score - well I recommend it to anyone who has happily played other QTE driven games and I really enjoyed playing but I won't replay to follow every gameplay path like I did with heavy rain.

7/10
  • Rajin 7 Nov 2013 22:28:11 627 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Metal Gear Solid Rising:

It started off frustating to say the least, i almost gave up on it. I started out on Hard which might have contributed to a increased frustation in the beginning. I still think that Parrying is shit(parry attack that is, blocking is not difficult). It is to sensitive in large group battles, which often turn into a zaibatsu fest(which while fun is not as satisfying as ninja gaiden combo's). It is to much trial and error in regards to what can be and what cannot be blocked(later on yellow glow gives away unblockable moves but it is not always that simple, especially during bossfights)

Story was better then i expected, not great but had some good moments and interesting codecs on technology and plotpoints of the Metal Gear universum(Dog is also a good character). A bit too over the top for a metal gear fan but i could appreciate it for what it is.

Besides the first and second, bosses are generally the highlight of this game, really enjoyed them. Difficulty on hard is besides two moments, well balanced and i loved the sneak segments(although limited and assinate input was weird, and AI was really stupid, also no clear field of vision)

All in all a very good game coming short on some of its mechanics.

8/10

Edited by Rajin at 22:29:30 07-11-2013
  • ardamillo 8 Nov 2013 08:41:02 523 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dombat wrote:
    I think sometimes open world games with a collection of missions where you're funnelled into doing exactly what the game wants you to do are overvalued over linear games that give you actual choice.
    Exactly! I don't understand why people rave about "freedom" in GTA. Sure you can drive or fly wherever you want between missions, but then what are you going to do? Dishonored gives you something interesting to do, some cool toys to do it, and lets you run wild.
  • CharlieStCloud 8 Nov 2013 08:52:01 5,219 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ardamillo wrote:
    Sure you can drive or fly wherever you want between missions, but then what are you going to do?
    Perhaps use your imagination a little bit more?

... I spent an aimless hour on Grand Theft Auto V last Sunday doing essentially nothing yet making up things along the way, which was more fun than it should be. It's a vast sandbox game in which you do what you imagination entails.
  • ardamillo 8 Nov 2013 09:09:26 523 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I kind of envy people who can do that, it's just not for me. My imagination seems to respond to "solve this problem" kind of challenges rather than "make your own fun".
  • CharlieStCloud 8 Nov 2013 09:18:01 5,219 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ah, fair enough!

... I am the other way round to you though; had a blast making up my own little adventures in GTAV whereas I purely stuck to the story in Dishono(u)red whilst mixing up stealth and the necessary kills and not a lot else.

: )
  • jabberwoky 9 Nov 2013 11:19:48 525 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just finished tomb raider, the latest one.

First the bad. It isn't tomb raider, which isn't a problem unless you are fond of tomb raider. They should have done a new franchise but chose to piggy back it on this instead because they didn't have the guts to do a new franchise. QTE's. Everybody hates them, and here they are AGAIN. Gore, its everywhere, you can't move for it, its more survival horror than anything. I'm not going to critisize it for too much shooting in a TR game, because, as I said before, its NOT tomb raider, that franchise has just been hi-jacked.

Now the good. Its actually a very good game, hugely entertaining, and very well put together, 9/10.

One of the videos at the end showed how they re-booted the music with some expensive composer and entire orchestras. Guess what, - not a patch on the simple haunting original melody.

But then, its not tomb raider anymore they just killed it. Guess it doesn't matter then.
  • Bremenacht 9 Nov 2013 13:09:53 18,459 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    SteamWorld Dig (3DS)

A great little game, this one. It feels almost like a cross-breed between Minecraft's Survival mode and the Metroid games. You're basically exploring open mines, looking for ore that you can sell to upgrade your equipment. Besides that, you can uncover caves that hide new abilites and items that make navigation and combat a little more interesting.

My first playthrough lasted 6 1/2 hours and that actually felt like the 'right' kind of length for a game like this. Much longer and the experience might have begun to drag a little. As it is, the game isn't meant to be a long one. Not only do the mines randomly generate each time you start over, but you're given ratings on how long it took you to complete, how much of the ore you found and how many times you died. Two features that'll add replay value when I do decide to return to it.

If you've got a 3DS, you should give this one a go.

4/5
    I enjoyed this. F*cked it up so far in and dropped it for Etrian Odyssey IV, but I know I'm going to enjoy it again. I do like a good digging game.
  • Kostabi 10 Nov 2013 14:28:38 4,932 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gears of War 3

Nothing like being incredibly late to a party eh? I figured I better make some attempt to clear my 360 backlog before it edges closer to the retirement home.

I play these on Normal and it was pitched about right for me. Not a complete cakewalk but not game breakingly frustrating like the back end of Gears 1 was. It was still the easiest out of the 3 though but at least it wasn't unfair.

Plenty of shit goes boom and things get kicked in the head. Good times. The end.

8/10
  • BloodMountain88 10 Nov 2013 20:10:28 145 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Tomb Raider (2013)

Overall a great game. The environments and level design were the highlight - it was a joy to explore them using the various pieces of gear Lara gets access to all the way through the game. Enjoyed the combat for the most part as well - the automatic cover system works well, and the game encourages you to stay on the move as the enemies were quite aggressive and took any opportunity to flank you. There were a few annoying encounters near the end of the game though.

The story was OK, but I found the new voice actress for Lara Croft to be really irritating throughout the entire game. And the tombs were really disappointing. There were a few too many QTE sequences for my liking as well.

It does some things better than the Uncharted series IMO - the level design and combat, while the Uncharted games still have the better overall presentation - likeable characters, good script etc. Looking forward to seeing a sequel, but would like to see more time spent on the tomb-raiding parts of the game - it is the Tomb Raider series afterall...

8/10

Haven't touched the multiplayer, and I doubt that I will.
  • BloodMountain88 10 Nov 2013 20:10:28 145 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Double post FTL...

Edited by BloodMountain88 at 20:11:28 10-11-2013
  • neil74 10 Nov 2013 21:53:36 2,306 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The last of us 8/10

Really good game, my only criticism is like the uncharted games it suffers from too much 'combat' and an unrealistic never ending supply of bad guys.

Tomb Raider remains my game of the year.
  • King_Edward 10 Nov 2013 22:05:58 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TLoU didn't have enemy spawning did it?
  • FuzzyDuck 10 Nov 2013 22:23:54 4,208 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Was about to say the same - no never ending supply of bad guys in TLoU.
  • neil74 10 Nov 2013 23:05:26 2,306 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seriously?

Throughout the game there was bad guy after bad guy and that last level how many armed men can fit in one building?

Still a great game but Just felt like padding
  • PazJohnMitch 10 Nov 2013 23:16:38 8,144 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There is definitely a finite number of bad guys in TLoU.
  • King_Edward 10 Nov 2013 23:19:04 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That's not how I remember it. :/
  • dsmx 10 Nov 2013 23:21:48 7,622 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can confirm as well TloU definitely doesn't have infinitely spawning enemies at any point.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• PazJohnMitch 10 Nov 2013 23:21:49 8,144 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    That's not how I remember it. :/
    ?

When I said finite I meant there is a fixed number. (As in opposite of infinite).

I thought that is what you said yourself previously?
  • richardiox 10 Nov 2013 23:24:54 5,611 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It didn't have respawning enemies, but in places it did have far too many generic baddies, especially given the "post apocalyptic" setting. I loved the game but would have preferred slightly less action in places. The setting, atmosphere and story were so great, the streams of baddies sections could feel too "gamey".

Thought the same about Infinite and parts of the Uncharted series. Especially when the gamey /shooter bits don't have the tight control of less story driven third person shooters - Gears etc.
  • King_Edward 10 Nov 2013 23:39:06 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch

That was in response to Neil. Sorry.

Edited by King_Edward at 23:39:49 10-11-2013
  • spamdangled 10 Nov 2013 23:43:15 27,377 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Assassin's Creed IV - utterly brilliant and comes terribly close to overtaking Assassin's Creed II as the best in the series.

4/5 stars.

Edited by darkmorgado at 00:21:52 11-11-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• TheMayorOfJugs 10 Nov 2013 23:46:05 3,673 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @darkmorgado Really? Like really really? Is the ship combat heavily featured? I wasn't a mad fan in 3. Haven't bought 4, got all the rest day one, would you recommend it?
  • Bremenacht 11 Nov 2013 00:05:18 18,459 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't believe it. I'm off to AATG to see the review.
  • spamdangled 11 Nov 2013 00:11:15 27,377 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @TheMayorOfJugs

I did a review this afternoon that might answer some of your questions. Ship combat is certainly very heavily featured though, but then it wouldn't really be very piratey without it :)

I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish, and with plenty still for me to do in the game I don't see myself getting bored with it anytime soon. It's also one of the few games that I've picked up a Season Pass for.

Edited by darkmorgado at 00:17:01 11-11-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Page

of 414 First / Last