Recently Completed Games Page 363

• Page

of 414 First / Last

• Deleted user 2 November 2013 02:03:54
    I love brawlers, but for some reason never took to the GOW series. Really not sure why, whether it's the style or gameplay.

That's one thing I didn't like about the ones I have played though, the camera was too panned out. Didn't feel as involved or intense as a closer camera.
  • Phattso Moderator 2 Nov 2013 03:29:35 13,351 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Clocked in at just over 3 hours on my first (and probably only) play through. Thought I'd discovered all the things to do but 11 remaining achievements suggest I wasn't as observant as I thought. :)

I enjoyed it. It has almost no challenge, but it's pretty to look at (playing on PC at 1080p) and is memorable enough.

I'm not one of these length=value people, but I'm content that I bought the game half price in the steam sale for six quid given that there's nothing compelling enough in the to make me want to go back again.

I've played through Dear Esther six or seven times across its two incarnations, and this game isn't really in that league despite a fairly effective final 15 minutes.

6/10
  • CharlieStCloud 2 Nov 2013 08:15:02 5,219 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Brothers was thee most overrated game this year.

... I know people tend to give up on games easily nowadays if a puzzle stumbles them, but the puzzles in this is achingly simplistic to the point of making the game feel pedestrian.

It is also pretty and the fantasy setting is unusual enough to make it unique however, like you said so yourself, it is a short game therefore the developers probably had a hefty amount of time to make the environments look nice.

The twist is so blatantly obvious the moment you first start playing the game although the after-effect, for the first few minutes, made you think. A clever moment indeed!

Without drawing too many comparisons, I would imagine Xbox 360 owners may appreciate the game a lot more than those with a PlayStation 3, seeing as the likes of Flower, Journey, Papa & Yo and The Unfinished Swan does it all differently and arguably better.

Going by the theme of death.

I too would give Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons a 6/10.
  • FuzzyDuck 2 Nov 2013 11:18:37 4,201 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @rumblesushi GoW 2 is hands down the best in the series for me.

They're good games (not as good as Bayonetta or DMC 3, but better than a lot of other similar games), but Ascension just felt like a completely unnecessary entry in the series. The camera is really bad in this, as Kratos can be come obscured by enemies and you end up not know what way he's facing and fluff attacks as a result.

Probably doesn't help that I played through GoW 1 went it came out, then in 2007, GoW in 2008 just before I bout the PS3, and then went on to Platinum the HD versions, as well as 3.

Think I've had enough of the series for now!
  • Rhaegyr 2 Nov 2013 13:55:15 1,835 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Personally, I thought Brothers hit the mark in a way that Journey, Gone Home etc. never did for me.

Maybe it's due to having an older brother...
  • Mr_Sleep 2 Nov 2013 13:58:50 17,097 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Personally, I thought Brothers hit the mark in a way that Journey, Gone Home etc. never did for me.

Maybe it's due to having an older brother...
    If it featured constant bickering, brinkmanship, one-up-man-ship and reminiscing about fights of the past then I can see your point.

You are a factory of sadness.

• King_Edward 2 Nov 2013 14:06:57 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Brothers, more than anything, showed how hard it is to make up a language and not have it sound completely stupid.

Blab blabber plum nom bingo ib towarry?
  • kentmonkey 2 Nov 2013 15:32:16 20,719 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ixnay umlay inan illuminating way ENSLAY ENSLAY (Rayman Origins) says you're very, very wrong.
  • Deleted user 2 November 2013 16:52:47
    The Walking Dead (Telltale)

Argh! Flatmate walked into the room when the closing moments were happening, which distracted me from the ending, i was gripped but i couldn't give it my full attention. Doh!

But overall - a really compelling story, great voice work, and i loved some of the decisions thrown at you. The story, and dialouge work because of the different layers to each decision and thought process. I was impressed with that.

Gameplay was frustrating in places, in that the game worked in just a certain way when tackling tasks, ok you could pick up different inventory items , but it was a case of just picking up something and going through the dialouge until you could proceed. Only a few scenes went beyond basic gameplay ideas, for example starting the train.

But the lee, clemantine story, with kenny and other lives - yes they felt like real people, was excellent. I felt bad, because i was so honest with clementine all the way up to the end scene in episode 4, when i wasn't. I was actually quite angry with myself.

The replay possibilities are interesting, despite the decisons you can make, it does seems that in the end they won't affect their outcome, but instead they are peices in the story to reflect certain themes in other peoples stories, which considering way the game plays, is a little dissapointing. But it can't detract from a very involving story and set of characters

8.5/10
  • Telepathic.Geometry 3 Nov 2013 09:51:02 11,366 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Diablo III complete. Might come back to it one day and build a super human battle mage, but for now my monk is gonna hang up his Inna's gear and retire.

Overall, I'd give it an 8.5/10. I would have preferred it if they'd built it into being an awesome 100+ hour game, instead of a play it forever game. I'm not a fan of grinding when the odds of seeing a new level, finding new loot, or meeting a new character is so low. I'm not a fan of Vegas either mind, so I guess I'm in the minority.

Still, value for money that game. I imagine I'll go at it again in a year or two and enjoy the shit out of it all over again. d-(^_^)

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Short-Round 3 Nov 2013 14:44:34 1,181 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Star Wars The Force Unleashed (360) 5/10

There's fun to be had in this game (mainly using force grip to fling stuff about), but it's fundamentally broken - chronic screen tear, geometry disappearing (as in entire structures), wonky collision and lock-on detection, falling through the scenery. It's a mess.
  • Mr_Sleep 3 Nov 2013 14:49:58 17,097 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dear Esther

This has been sitting in my Steam pile for quite a while but I figured I should have a crack at it to see what it's all about. What a strange experience it is too. It's not really a game in a traditional sense, more of an interactive film. The story is sad and quite affecting in its way, I straight away went to find a synopsis and it pretty much confirms my thoughts on the purpose and plot. Kind of an interesting experience and certainly makes a change, took me a while to stop trying to interact with everything. I really should have turned the subtitles off, they kind of ruined the immersion.

• Telepathic.Geometry 3 Nov 2013 15:04:25 11,366 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just finished Beyond :Two Souls there. Thoroughly fucking enjoyed it. If the controls had been better, I'd be giving it10/10, because a) it's one of the few games I can remember playing in recent history where I didn't know what was gonna happen next, and b) it's so different to other games, it's a perfect palette cleanser.

But yeah, the controls. I'd say it deserves an 8 or a 9 outta 10.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Gunzberg 3 Nov 2013 16:04:17 1,733 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Last Of Us - a phenomenal 10/10

Honestly, after playing the demo I thought what is this overrated tosh ?

Then after being the only game left that I wanted on PS3, I went out and got it. IMO Naughty Dog have even surpassed the brilliance that was Uncharted 2 for using the interactive medium to tell a great story. They might just be the world's best developer.

Everything fits. The story, the settings, the little interactions between the protagonists that builds character and depth, the gameplay (which covers so many aspects of what post-apocalyptic survival is all about), the scenarios - whether it be Sniper Town, Winter Hunting, The Cannibals, the utilitarian mindset of the Fireflies. It all works perfectly together. Ellie really grows on you as a character and Joel demonstrates that male leads can be more than "generic soldier nr 234".

The music and sound effects are top notch too. Frankly, this is a game to buy a PS3 for.

Only little negative I have is that in the hotel I wanted to backtrack a little bit to the lobby but the area access got immediately replaced by a closed window meaning I missed out on some goodies

I haven't tried the MP but I don't care. The score stays the same.

This is a masterpiece.

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• Bremenacht 3 Nov 2013 17:29:14 18,459 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apparently you can improve the Last of Us experience by watching someone else play it on Youtube.
  • CharlieStCloud 3 Nov 2013 18:50:21 5,219 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Apparently you can improve The Last of Us experience by watching someone else play it on YouTube.
    Zing!

: )

This year has given us BioShock Infinite, The Last of Us, Pikmin 3 and Grand Theft Auto V; four top, top quality games.

... and my personal favourites - Guacamelee!, Hotline Miami, Spelunky and Thomas Was Alone.
  • DUFFMAN5 3 Nov 2013 19:08:50 14,784 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gunzberg wrote:
    The Last Of Us - a phenomenal 10/10
    The music and sound effects are top notch too. Frankly, this is a game to buy a PS3 for.
    This is a masterpiece.
    Brilliant and I agree:)

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• hypoBla5t 3 Nov 2013 19:28:57 1,428 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Skyrim: Dragonborn 7/10

Short, small, decent quality. I thought the new campaign was entertaining but brief.

What made Solstheim ace in Morrowind was that the snowy wastes thing was all-new, whereas here it's a bit old hat. Not enough to be essential for me, even with that nostalgia, unless you were a huge Skyrim fan and had done absolutely everything to death.

Sir, You Are Being Hunted - too early to say / 10.

It's got plenty of potential and I'm very pleased I'm on board at the alpha stage. Not a big stealth fan personally but it is good stuff, love the Britishness of it and the thrilling scavenger / being hunted dynamic. Gonna take a step back and keep my eye on it for a few months.
  • lordofdeadside 3 Nov 2013 19:54:17 1,117 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Remember Me

An enjoyable adventure through the interesting setting of neo-Paris. The story and characters could so easily of been poorly handled, but manage to stay be believable and human, helped in part by the excellent memory remix scenes.

The game looks stunning (for current gen), well animated main character and some great lighting and reflective surfaces. The levels do feel quite static though there is usually a single highlighted path which does make you feel like more of a spectator than part of the world.

The main problem is the combat, it feels wooden and cheap and is often a chore, bit of a shame.

Overall, a decent game that has unique moments and setting, worth checking out.

75%
  • TheMayorOfJugs 4 Nov 2013 00:46:28 3,660 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Metal Gear Rising Revengeance

Kak story, but some genuinely funny moments, intentional and unintentional. Really cool to see Sunny again, caught me off guard entirely. Gameplay is so enjoyable and fluid and it all just oozes style presentation, I don't think I'd ever tire of making literal mince of the enemies. The music suits the futuristic destructive vibe perfectly. Occassionally dodgy camera but never anything too annoying, even on the higher difficulties. The kick ass slice everything in two ott cutscenes and QTEs are never cringey either, and look gorgeous, along with the rest of the game. Fighting what was essentially Senator Goku at the end was hilarious and fun too.

Overall a polished, fun, stylish hack and slashfest, a gane that knows it's a game, which is great really. Anyone that enjoyed Ninja Theory's DMC will love this, loads of replayability to max combos, try new weapons, beat scores, buy upgrades and just for sheer fun and insanity. I'd give it a 10 (as I would DMC) just for being a blast to play, but people would slate me for sure. So a 9 it is.
  • HarryPalmer 5 Nov 2013 09:33:49 3,334 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GTA V - 9/10

Completed the main story and most of the side missions. Managed to buy all the property, but still a ways off 100%. It's testament to the game world that, if anything, I'm enjoying it more now that the missions are out of the way, and will definitely 100%.

I do not appreciate the way online was so fucked on release. In fact it managed to corrupt my offline game, forcing me to restart from the beginning when I was already 50% through.

It also suffers from the same problem I have with all Rock Star sandbox games: the missions are a bit shit. If Trevor had been the main character, it would have been better, as his actions during missions don't feel out of context. The other characters are trying for a better live, or salvation or whatever, and yet the game has you slaughtering thousands of people. With Trevor, that's fine. There are still a few corkers in there though.

Heists feel rushed and underdeveloped. Your decisions affect the type of mission, and to a degree, the rewards, but they're still just missions, where you're told what to do.

That said, the world is astonishing, and capable of creating breathtaking ambient gameplay moments around every corner. Hence why I feel no compulsion to stop playing.
  • Ultrasoundwave 5 Nov 2013 10:54:08 3,319 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Batman Arkham Origins (360)

I'll start my mini-review in the most logical place : the end. After somewhere between 8-10 hours of gameplay, i got to the end of the game, the final cutscene played out and the credits rolled. "whats weird about that?" you ask. Nothing really, apart from the fact that this game has the least obvious final mission since Rage - without spoiling anything, the ending (for me) came out of absolutely nowhere.

Anyway, moving onto the rest of the game. Upon completion, i personally think that the overly negative reviews are way off the mark.

Yes, the game isn't quite as good as the previous two. Yes, it has a few technical glitches that the previous two didnt have. However, the game successfully offers a new slice of Arkham pie that, if you're a fan of the series, you would be a fool to miss out on.

This time around, there is no Arkham City. Basically, a small portion of Gotham is left completely open to you from the word go.
    If you're a fan of Batman at all, wether its through the previous Arkham games, the movies, the comic books or even because of Adam West, the ping of excitement you feel when you first open the Gotham map is glorious.

Graphically, the game is excellent : Batman himself looks great, as do all the other major characters. Gotham itself is stunning, with the moody christmas eve atmosphere of moonlit snowfall adding a fitting tone to the game.
    I noticed there was a bit of hubbub about lip-syncing and facial animation but, for me, the Arkham games have always been poor in this particular area and, personally, its never bothered me one bit.

The refined gameplay is still there, the hand-to-hand combat is as good as it always was and the predator gameplay continues to thrill.

The story is very good, however, i was a little disappointed by some of the twists and turns the game took. The basic concept is Black Mask putting a $50 million bounty on Batmans head and assembling a team of assassins to hunt him down.

For me, WB Montreal missed an opportunity here, not just narratively but also from a gameplay perspective : having Batman be the hunted, instead of the hunter, could have made for a fascinating fresh approach to the formula. However, the game offers you the opportunity to take down the assassins whenever you please - in fact, i dont think i even took them all down before the credits rolled!.

The final word goes to the acting - there was some concern about there being a new Batman and Joker but the new guys come through with flying colours. Roger Craig Smith manages to put across Batmans inner-rage quite nicely, whilst also adding a youthful arrogance to the Bat.

Special praise goes to Troy Baker though - this guy is, officially, top of the gaming 'A' list for me. For him to switch from Joel's stoic southern drawl in The Last of Us to a manic, devious, terrifying Joker is remarkable, to the point where you genuinely question how it could possibly be the same voice actor. Amazing work.

All in all, Origins doesnt deserve the harsh criticism it has received, but it wont win any Game of the Year awards either. Yes, it may be slightly inferior to the previos Arkham games, but a slightly inferior Arkham game is still better than most of the other games out there.

A rock solid 8/10

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Mr_Sleep 5 Nov 2013 10:55:49 17,097 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    GTA V - 9/10

It also suffers from the same problem I have with all Rock Star sandbox games: the missions are a bit shit. If Trevor had been the main character, it would have been better, as his actions during missions don't feel out of context. The other characters are trying for a better live, or salvation or whatever, and yet the game has you slaughtering thousands of people. With Trevor, that's fine. There are still a few corkers in there though.
    This broke RDR for me, once I was mowing down Mexican's with a mounted gun I pretty much gave up on Marsten as a character. There's a massive dissonance between the lone gunman trying to solve his problem in an interesting setting with some unfortunate shoot outs and what becomes a mass murderer on an epic scale.

• Ziz0u 5 Nov 2013 11:03:16 8,394 posts
    Seen 53 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Trevor is the true GTA protagonist.
  • StrikeForce 6 Nov 2013 14:11:08 100 posts
    Seen 25 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Need for Speed: Most Wanted

Got mixed feelings about this game. After being a bit underwhelmed by other racing games this year (Forza Horizon especially) I really enjoyed the arcade-y action of Most Wanted initially - reminded me of one of my faves, Split Second, at first. The cars feel really powerful, power slides are fun and easy to pull off, graphics are top draw and I like the full-contact aggression of the cops and other racers.

However, the game suffers from a lack of progression and the open world is not very absorbing and lacks content. I found that after I'd done a few races and unlocked upgrades for some of the cars I'd pretty much seen everything the game had to offer. After polishing off all the Most Wanted cars last night the whole thing couldn't have taken me more than 7-8 hours. And the online didn't really suck me in - played for an hour but didn't really understand what was going on most of the time.

6/10
  • Rens11 7 Nov 2013 00:47:06 1,405 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Brothers a tale of two sons PC

felt like an adventure loved the art and the setting; possibly could have done with a bit more challenge and is pretty short at less than 3 hours

8/10

Edited by Rens11 at 00:50:55 07-11-2013

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• ardamillo 7 Nov 2013 08:03:37 523 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dishonored

Playing this right after GTA V made me realise a few things:
    - silent protagonists are best (or maybe just protagonists that aren't jerks)
    - fantasy beats reality
    - you don't need a huge open world to have a sense of place
    - FREEDOM!! (to do missions as I choose)

9/10
  • Gunzberg 7 Nov 2013 10:23:08 1,733 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Guacamelee 8/10

Well worth the 7 Euros I got it for on Steam. Difficulty throughout the game is just right until 2nd form of the final boss who was impossible for me to complete without a trainer

For the 5-6 hours this lasts it comes well recommended. I love all the little innuendos and easter eggs in the posters all over the map, e.g. StrongBad

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• Mr_Sleep 7 Nov 2013 10:41:09 17,097 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ardamillo wrote:
    It depends on the game, in some RPGs it just feels weird, you wander around as a mute but somehow communicate everything. Skyrim and Dragon's Dogma have this problem. Half Life etc it seems fine, for some reason.

• Dombat 7 Nov 2013 10:47:36 266 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ardamillo wrote:
    Dishonored

Playing this right after GTA V made me realise a few things:
    - fantasy beats reality
    - you don't need a huge open world to have a sense of place
    - FREEDOM!! (to do missions as I choose)

9/10
    I'm playing both games now and I agree, especially with the last two points. Despite the excellent world building and sandbox gameplay on the whole, the story missions in GTA V are about as bad a case of hand-holding as I've seen in modern gaming.

I think sometimes open world games with a collection of missions where you're funnelled into doing exactly what the game wants you to do are overvalued over linear games that give you actual choice.
  • Page

of 414 First / Last