Recently Completed Games Page 358

• Page

of 417 First / Last

• Stranded87 6 Oct 2013 13:03:02 924 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    GTA 5

The best in the series imo. Mid-mission checkpoints made the whole thing a lot less frustrating than previous games, the world was enormous and full of interesting things to see and do, the missions were (slightly) more varied than previous games and heists and being able to switch between characters mid battle were both great if underused.

I've also felt that while Rockstar can generally write interesting or at least fun stories they don't normally fit their respective games well. There's a disconnect between the characters in and out of cutscenes and it's often dragged out with unlikely busy work to make the game longer.

But GTA 5 mostly remedies both of these things. Splitting the story between three characters gives them a lot more they can do without dragging it out, while making a lot of the missions optional strangers and freaks content also helps.

Then there's Trevor, who's a rampaging psychopath both in game and during cut scenes, so there's no disconnect there but Rockstar give him just enough depth to make him likeable.

The game still feels a bit rough around the edges and a bit ugly, combat is still little more than functional and missions could still be a lot more varied. I was also slightly disappointed that Rockstar didn't take the opportunity with having three protagonists to make one of them female.

But in a game of this scale those are all just niggles really.

9/10
  • Raiko101 6 Oct 2013 16:54:24 6,423 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Splinter Cell: Blacklist (Wii U)

Not a bad game at all. Actually, it's rather good. My only real complaints are that the story isn't all that great, the loading times are poor, the controls still need to be simplified (a problem i've had with the series in general) and there's a few finales to missions that are just pointless. The final 'boss battle' in particular is both annoying and disappointing.

Other than that, I really enjoyed this one. I like how it tracks your playing style and has leaderboards for every mission. Better yet, the daytime missions are very enjoyable as you're completely dependant on cover. It's very similar to MGS in that respect. The side missions are also a highlight.

I'm feeling slightly generous, so it gets a 4/5 from me.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• mrpon 6 Oct 2013 17:25:12 29,190 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Darksiders (PC)

Really enjoyed this, especially as I picked it up for buttons off Steam. Doesn't really do anything new, but rather steals ideas from God of War, Zelda, Metroid etc.. Fabulous (albeit cheesy) voice work, super eerie and rousing soundtrack plus it worked with the wireless 360 pad a treat. Fuck knows what was going on though.

Bloody long, my finished playtime on Normal was around 24 hours. Nice cliffhanger on the ending, good job I've just picked up the sequel for 4 :)

+ lovely varied environments
    + great powerups I liked the hookshot followed by the baseball bat move :D
    + Vulgrim!
    + voice work and music in general was top notch
    + normal was a breeze and that was without any legendaries

- perhaps a tad long and the occasional glitch

9/10

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Reacher 6 Oct 2013 20:23:59 854 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Finally got around to finishing The Walking Dead

Truly surprising game. I had no idea what to make of it at the start, but really got in to in in Episodes 2-5, 3&4 were particularly enthralling. I'm not sure I have been that emotionally involved in a game sine the ME series.

Loved it.

10/10.

I'd like to assess the fact that it's a point and click and not really a game. but fuck it. it was excellent.
  • Humperfunk 6 Oct 2013 22:36:41 2,289 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rain

Great atmosphere and soundtrack which were the things I expected going into it.

Light on the story, much like Ico, Journey etc. Very simplistic game, and linear so quite focused.

Absolutely loved it. The soundtrack was so good that it's also caused me to buy Nier again for another playthrough (or four for the endings ;)) of that.

9/10

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• Syrette 6 Oct 2013 22:55:29 43,767 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Reacher wrote:
    Finally got around to finishing The Walking Dead

Truly surprising game. I had no idea what to make of it at the start, but really got in to in in Episodes 2-5, 3&4 were particularly enthralling. I'm not sure I have been that emotionally involved in a game sine the ME series.

Loved it.

10/10.

I'd like to assess the fact that it's a point and click and not really a game. but fuck it. it was excellent.
    Yup, it's sublime.

• Raiko101 7 Oct 2013 03:14:04 6,423 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've still to play through the Walking Dead game, but I have it all on Steam. I must get around to it. I've heard nothing but praise.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• ardamillo 7 Oct 2013 13:37:24 525 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga (360)

Picked this up for $5 in a sale, and I've had about 2 weeks of enjoyment out of it, so it's hard to complain.

It's an action RPG, reminds me most of Dragon's Dogma and Amalur: Reckoning in recent memory. Looks nice enough, has lovely music, and the usual dopey story that doesn't take itself too seriously. Actually it has a weird sense of humour that kept popping up unexpectedly.

Unfortunately the combat was a bit janky, so much so that I set it on easy after a while. I went the warrior route because I thought targeting was a bit wobbly but half way through I was wishing I was a mage. Anyway, after a while I was able to make a tank that could chew through anything pretty quickly.

You can also turn into a dragon, which sounded pretty cool, but turned out to be a bit dull. It's a separate game mode with different powers, enemies and gear to the ground game.

Oh and the jump is hilarious - it sends you flying up in the air or forwards at crazy speed. Great for getting up cliffs but not so great for platforming..

7/10
  • Rhaegyr 7 Oct 2013 16:33:41 2,275 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Guacamelee! (PC)

Really like this one - the setting was absolutely fantastic and the combat could be excellent with a little tweaking. A little on the short side (I was expecting something similar to Super Metroid) but I can't think of a wasted moment. The controls could've done with being a tad sharper, especially for some of the tough platform moments near the end.

Great characters, art style, music and mechanics - even the ending was something unexpected! Any fan of Metroid, Castlevania, Shadow Complex and the like should give it a go.

8/10
  • drip 7 Oct 2013 20:43:31 4,301 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    For what it's worth, I can't remember the last game I played that was truly awful. Maybe Duke Nukem Forever?
    I played a lot of awful games, and DNF wasn't actually among them. It was a huge disappointment, but in my opinion a 6/10 game, not a 3/10. It is better than any CoD or Battlefield I played.
  • Mola_Ram 8 Oct 2013 05:23:32 7,682 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    For what it's worth, I can't remember the last game I played that was truly awful. Maybe Duke Nukem Forever?
    I played a lot of awful games, and DNF wasn't actually among them. It was a huge disappointment, but in my opinion a 6/10 game, not a 3/10. It is better than any CoD or Battlefield I played.
    Well, I've never played CoD, and only played BF at a lan or two. So maybe I'd agree with you, if I had more experience with them.

Thing is, I don't really buy games that I'm likely to find awful. More common is me buying something that sounds good, and turns out to be just ok.

Except for something like deadly premonition, which is pretty awful, but charmingly awful.
  • CosmicFuzz 8 Oct 2013 06:36:32 24,870 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Woah Woah Woah. Easy on the Deadly Premonition there pal. It's SPECTACULAR, alright?

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• Mola_Ram 8 Oct 2013 06:39:12 7,682 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hey, I love the game. I can't wait until the pc release in a few weeks!

It'll be great. My coffee told me so.
  • CharlieStCloud 8 Oct 2013 07:28:04 5,285 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Mola_Ram

It is coming out on PC 'in a few weeks'?!

... I did not even know it was coming out on PC.

\^o^/
  • CosmicFuzz 8 Oct 2013 07:28:10 24,870 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You're damn right, Zack.

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• Mola_Ram 8 Oct 2013 07:34:17 7,682 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yup, it was greenlighted on Steam a couple of months ago. Very, very quickly. :)
  • Sjonsson 8 Oct 2013 15:14:46 5 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I recently finished Mark of The Ninja, it's a pretty good game I'd say, killed myself in the end. I had lots of fun playing the game but I never really felt like I had to sneak or unlock all my abilities to play the game, there wasn't much of an incentive except for just new abilities. Most players will get off the hook with just unlocking new abilities but I would have wanted something more, that the game actually required you to unlock stuff, that the game required you to be sneaky - I could just run through almost every level, even the last levels with robot ninjas.
  • Nitrous 8 Oct 2013 17:08:01 428 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GTA5 (Xbox360) 10/10

Brilliant game. Finished the main story yesterday and did the final assassination mission for Lester so I could sink all my money into Gold Coast Construction in the stock market. Now I have about 62mil with each character.

I'll try online when its working...
  • Esppiral 8 Oct 2013 17:14:18 76 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Beyond Two Souls.

I love Dave's work.
  • drip 9 Oct 2013 00:08:31 4,301 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:

Thing is, I don't really buy games that I'm likely to find awful. More common is me buying something that sounds good, and turns out to be just ok.
    I don't either. When I pre-ordered DNF, I just knew it would be the greatest 11/10 game ever...

Randy Pitchford told me so, and if you can't trust Randy, then who can you...?
  • dominalien 9 Oct 2013 10:58:35 7,019 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tomb Raider, the new one.

It took me an age to finish and seemed like a very long game (20 hours?). I have no idea, really, as I'm very short on time lately and played in very short bursts. Anyway, it was longer than I'd anticipated and that's a plus point.

The comparison to Uncharted is obvious and unfortunately not in a good way, at least with regards to combat. The arena fights were unnecessary and out of character, but I didn't find them too annoying. They were very chaotic and over quickly once enemy positions were learned, which probably doesn't speak too well of their design. The game would have benefited greatly from more obligatory puzzles and less enemies overall. I felt somewhat put off every time I had to put away the bow and use something else.

I rather liked the more sombre tone of the game, but I thought the story was pretty weak, in retrospect. And Lara remaining clueless about the true nature of succession up until the very last moment was rather silly. It was made so clearly obvious in all the documents and cutscenes I actually feel I need to take off a point just for this. I would expect the character to put the pieces together long before I did.

All in all, a fantastic return to form for the Tomb Raider franchise and highly recommended.

8/10

PSN: DonOsito

• Mr_Sleep 9 Oct 2013 11:41:23 17,184 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Resistance 3

Strange one this, I have had it sitting around for an age as I played it a year or so ago for about half an hour and gave up due to a toal lack of interest but because I don't have a great deal else I started playing this again.

It's a perfectly reasonable game with some good ideas and fun weapons. I think the biggest diversion from other contemporary FPS is the use of health packs instead of regenerating health. It makes me wonder if all this regeneration business isn't somewhat crap as there was a pleasing level of tension involved between staying in cover hoping to kill the enemy or pushing out to try and find some health. It did lead to moments of frustration but that has been part of gaming since I can remember.

The story and cut scenes are pretty average, there are one or two good bits but for the most part I didn't care very much and it all felt pretty wooden.

If I have some complaints it is that I got lost some times which for a game of this nature is pretty bad design. Also, walking around for ten minutes waiting for an enemy to turn up so that the scripted bit happens was very tedious. That happened on several occasions.

All in all I reckon a solid 7/10

You are a factory of sadness.

• CitizenGeek 10 Oct 2013 22:17:39 3,465 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Grand Theft Auto V
    An enormous improvement over GTAIV in almost every single way. Three playable characters was ingenious, even though it felt like that mechanic was massively underused. The heists were brilliant but there really wasn't enough of them. Finding new characters to use on crews and advance their skills seemed a bit redundant because there were so few opportunities to use them. Improved driving and the glorious world of San Andreas meant that it was a joy to get around. Whereas in GTAIV, I mostly used taxis to warp any distance, I rarely used that in GTAV because of the variety of cars, improved handling and the amazing radio stations (I must have listened to Bless Your Heart in full about 10 times; that segment really is one of the most brilliant, multi-layered, hilarious pieces of satire I've ever heard!). The satire does cross a line sometimes though, and there is a pervasive hostility to women and plenty of outright misogyny in there, too. As has already been pointed out, the combat is just barely above functional, but it's a big improvement over GTA IV in that the cover system actually makes some kind of sense. Liked all of the characters but Franklin was easily my favourite. Overall, though, the flaws only stand out because GTA V is a phenomenal game in general. 9/10

Final Fantasy XIII-2
    I'm a big fan of Final Fantasy but it's hard to forgive the series for going down this route rather than sticking with where the series was going with FFXII (probably my favorite game ever). That said, I liked FFXIII and as a sequel, this game isn't bad. The story and characters are the biggest let-down though - all of the interesting characters from the first game have been stripped away and replaced with mostly lame and one-dimensional ones. Story is fairly typical JRPG nonsense with shallow themes (friendship is not an interesting theme, Square Enix!) and misguided villains, although the start of the game and the last episode were somewhat exciting. Battle system is virtually identical to the original, although the addition of recruitable monsters was a nice touch. Like I said, I'm a fan of the series, so I did enjoy this game and I'll definitely be getting Lighting Returns when it comes out. 7/10

Edited by CitizenGeek at 22:19:47 10-10-2013
  • jabberwoky 11 Oct 2013 12:30:54 527 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dragons dogma dark arisen

A very magical and fun experience, the world is beautiful and wonderful to explore. Combat is better than most fantasy open world games and having 3 pawns helping you out was also cool. The story only really got going in the last 3rd of the game, before then it was more a pastiche of events. An easy 9 out of 10 for me. (BBI will have to wait although I explored it a bit).
  • UncleLou Moderator 11 Oct 2013 13:15:08 35,712 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    BBI?
  • HelloNo 11 Oct 2013 19:45:29 1,154 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bitter Black Isle

I wish there was a 'shut up pawns' button. They are really helpful in combat but they just won't stop repeating themselves.
  • Paulie_P 12 Oct 2013 01:27:20 416 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Persona 4 Golden
    Quite simply the best RPG I've ever played.

10/10
  • TheMayorOfJugs 12 Oct 2013 01:50:19 4,001 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Paulie_P wrote:
    Persona 4 Golden
    Quite simply the best RPG I've ever played.

10/10
    \o/
  • jonsaan 12 Oct 2013 10:07:00 25,360 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Vvvvvvv. Hmmm. Not sure. It wasn't much fun. But it drove me to complete it.

6/10

FCUTA!

• IJ 12 Oct 2013 13:23:06 841 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mass Effect 3

After 50 hours I've just finished the final game in the trilogy, having played the other two previously as well. Sadly my xbox got stolen last year so my save game was gone, which did dramatically affect my story and to some degree my involvement with it, which was a shame.

I love this series, but for the first 5-10 hours this was a bit of a struggle. It's very similar to Mass effect 2, but at the start the writing was poor and the voice acting seemed wooden and stilted with conversations not really flowing. Then it started kicking into gear, old faces came back and the moral choices started to come and it was back to it's best. I quite enjoy the combat but I can see why others don't. But it isn't the combat which makes this trilogy, for me, one of the best set of games ever made.

In almost no other game have I been so involved with the characters. Once they started turning up, I couldn't wait to get home after work and spend more time saving the galaxy with them. Playing with the same characters for five years obviously helps build that long term connection, but few games would I really care about what happens to a character or their species. There are some duds, James is a waste of time as is Ashley, and Garrus, one of my favourite from 1 and 2 was a lot less edgy and interesting this time. Infact the cast in general was definitely poorer than 2, where there were strong and interesting characters like Jack and Thane.

But meeting old faces and friends and seeing how my choices affected the world was an experience no other game this generation has. Maybe the combat isn't that good enough and there is too much focus on it. But the ability to take any combination of crews on a mission, and the difference in dialog, theme and feel is something no other game has really done.

The ending.......I actually really liked the ending. I picked the "merge" ending, without giving anything away, and while this may be seen as the "good" ending, I don't really agree. I had a long think about it and it was not an obvious choice, but I wanted to end the cycles of destruction. I agree synthetics vs organics fighting would continue and if i destroyed the reapers history would just repeat itself. Not everyone would agree, maybe others think lessons will be learnt and a reaper type event would never happen again. I wanted to embrace a new idea, a new start, try something new to break what i saw as an inevitable cycle. I wanted to enter the unknown and see what happened.

Not as good as Mass Effect 2, but still a strong end to the series. I've read a few articles on why some disliked the endings so much, but I do disagree. WHile not perfect, I'm surprised there was such an uproar.

Mass Effect 3 - 9/10
    Leviathan DLC - 9/10

Mass Effect trilogy - 10/10

I know there is going to be a Mass Effect 4 and that does concern me...for me it would need to retreat a bit more towards RPG and back from being an action third person shooter.

Good bye Mass Effect, I'll miss you, and all my crew.
  • Page

of 417 First / Last