Recently Completed Games Page 357

• Page

of 405 First / Last

• Dombat 23 Sep 2013 19:59:39 240 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just completed Uncharted: Golden Abyss.

It's not bad at all, although a little flat compared to the epic 2nd and 3rd games in the main series. It has several gameplay mechanics that utilise the Vita's hardware features, which are often quite fun but some extremely frustrating or dull (I hated the plank balancing).

A bit too combat heavy for my liking, and there aren't as many dramatic set pieces as there are in 2 and 3, but it makes good use of puzzles and cutscenes to change the pace.

Overall I enjoyed it but I'm glad I got it through PS+ as I don't think I'd replay it.

Typical 8/10 game.
  • RyanDS 23 Sep 2013 21:41:45 9,062 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Saints Row 3.

Buggy, all over the place, difficulty all over the place and a nonsensical storyline.

But just so much fun, this is what GTA used to be. I felt through out the game it was 8/10, but the ending was just so brilliant it deserved an extra point.

9/10
  • VideoGameAddict25 23 Sep 2013 23:01:16 272 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Assassin's Creed 3

+ Good gameplay and enjoyable missions
    + Good controls
    + Climbing up and down trees, cliffs and buildings is fun
    + Steering the ship is fun.
    + Side-quests are nice.

- The ending sucks.
    - The credits go on for FAR too long! They last a staggering 20 minutes! :eek:
    - Desmond's stupid missions can fuck off.
    - Unnecessary optional objectives

8/10 for the game
    1/10 for the ending
    -10000000/10 for the credits

Edited by VideoGameAddict25 at 23:03:25 23-09-2013
  • Mageme 25 Sep 2013 09:11:36 1,994 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Project X Zone

Finally finished this, got a bit long in the tooth towards the end especially the last battle where the previous bosses just kept respawning. TBH, I much preferred the SRT Endless Frontier and EXCEED games; at least they had coherent storylines.

Overall, not bad if you have lots of spare time and can get it in cheapo. Woo! I can finally start properly on EO IV and GTA V now!

6.5/10

3DS: 5086-1465-9252

• dancingrob 25 Sep 2013 10:44:49 1,154 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Magic 2013

'Games with Gold' freebie...

+ Magic makes a pretty good video game
    + solid choice of decks, I ended up particularly liking the peacekeepers
    + MP is still lively enough due to recent influx of freebie players
    + lack of irritating difficulty spikes

- probably better suited to mobiles / tablets than consoles
    - loading times seem far longer than they should be
    - not really much change since the first game (Magic 2011 effectively)

all in all, decent niche-y freebie, and an enjoyable few hours to complete the campaign, with MP potential of interest for longer.

3*

GTA IV: Gay Tony

Everyone else is on the new one, I'm just finishing the old one...

+ much better checkpointing than the base game
    + good length and pacing
    + Liberty City still feels very alive
    + soundtrack / nightlife feel very well done, rather different to the first two scuzzier games
    + lack of clash between the 'cutscene' character, and the Luis you play
    + some really good characters, Yusuf and Tony in particular
    + lack of friends calling you every 5 minutes to do stuff

- still not a fan of the helicopter driving, and you need to do rather more of it in this game than in the other two
    - a couple of missions I found a bit too tricky (the mission where you get the parachute in particular
    - I'd ideally like an easier way to buy new armour, particularly after you've failed a mission once.

Lost and Damned was perhaps my favourite of the three stories, but all had their moments, and I imagine I'll still return to Liberty City at some point to mop up bits and pieces.

4*
  • Rhaegyr 25 Sep 2013 18:26:18 1,430 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Binding of Isaac

Finally defeated Satan - one of my favourite gaming struggles up there with completing Dark Souls, unlocking IWBTG in Super Meat Boy etc.

The value in this game is so absurd it's almost silly.
  • TechnoHippy 28 Sep 2013 22:33:46 14,698 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Darksiders II

I enjoyed the first game, but I didn't complete it - too many boss battles. I hate boss battles, they always feel cheap making you jump through hoops to defeat a specific enemy. That being said I liked the premise and the bits between the boss battles were good fun.

Thankfully in this sequel the boss battles are far less annoying which meant I got to see the end, which was nice :-)

The game continues from the previous one, although this time it's Death as the main character. He's trying to save his brother War who is being condemned for his actions in the first game. To save his brother Death must save humanity who have been wiped out by the apocalypse. This leads Death on a quest to find a way to restore mankind.

The story isn't great, but it's well told with some stylish cutscenes and gravelly voices. The game itself is a standard hack and slash affair. Loot gains you more weapons and armour to improve your stats, you can earn experience to level up and gain new abilities. Fairly standard stuff, with some simple platforming thrown in.

In summary it's a solid, if not particularly inspired game, fun to play, but not especially memorable.

6/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• DrStrangelove 29 Sep 2013 01:21:58 3,372 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Darksiders 1.

Didn't complete it, only went short after the first boss battle.

But seriously, this game is a fucking piece of shit. It's graphics without any content/gameplay/fun whatsoever. Among the worst I've ever played. 1/10.

Not exactly completed, but very well finished.
  • Paulie_P 29 Sep 2013 01:31:58 411 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @DrStrangelove I gave up long before that. Don't get the love for that game.
  • Mola_Ram 29 Sep 2013 08:24:49 6,986 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Err, I didn't find darksiders to be particularly memorable, but "piece of shit" is going a bit far imo.
  • Kanjin 29 Sep 2013 18:14:15 1,055 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This is the internet; everything's either brilliant or shit with nothing in between.
  • kentmonkey 29 Sep 2013 19:30:30 20,448 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fez

Short and at times absolutely sublime and a joy to play. However the last hour turned into a slog, and I think that's because the game started to come across as being designed less to entertain the player and more designed to make sure the player understood that the developer had an extremely high intellect and wanted people to know about it.

Ended up with the '37' cube ending. Which is, of course, the 'this isn't really an ending, at all' ending.

At times a 9/10, the last hour dropped to about a six, so overall..

7/10

Edited by kentmonkey at 20:53:06 29-09-2013
  • Deleted user 29 September 2013 20:41:25
    I should probably put this in the abandon games thread, but I only played about 10 minutes of FEZ before deleting it. Clearly not a game for me. And I can't for the life of me find the appeal in these pixel art games, but that's just me.
  • Rens11 29 Sep 2013 22:55:22 1,388 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Catherine

Heard the game was really difficult so stuck it on easy which is something I rarely do but have a massive backlog to clear. Found the first 5 chapters a bit too easy however the last few were fairly challenging. The game is crazy (in a good way) not something I would usually have tried without ps plus but definitely one of the best puzzle games I've played over the past few years

8.5/10

Edited by Rens11 at 23:07:31 29-09-2013

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• Telepathic.Geometry 30 Sep 2013 03:09:47 11,274 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kanjin wrote: This is the internet; everything's either brilliant or shit with nothing in between.
    Yeah, this. Darksiders was a nice enough little game. I see it as an A game, well worth playing, especially as you can get it for $20 or less. Nice voice acting, fun gameplay, interesting art and an epic ending if you make it that far.

It has troubles of course, chief among which - for me - is that the enemies hang around too long. I'd rather they had double damage, half health so that I could just get the battles over with quicker. They were fun, but dragged on for too long.

Piece of shit though? I would reserve that word for games that deserve it. Like Jak II.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Mola_Ram 30 Sep 2013 03:15:36 6,986 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    For what it's worth, I can't remember the last game I played that was truly awful. Maybe Duke Nukem Forever?

For me, giving a game that low a score... well, it would need to inspire passionate hatred in me. Most average games, though, I can't get that worked up about.

But I suppose a "meh" game is worse in a way. At least true shite is memorable.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 30 Sep 2013 03:33:36 11,274 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apart from Jak II, I can't think of a game that made me truly hate its guts. Tales of Vesperia is a fantastic game with truly hateful trophies, but I can't blame them for exploiting my trophy whore weakness.

Assassin's Creed II was another game that I stopped playing within a couple of hours, desperately trying to like it, but again, that's on me. I don't think that the game is shite in an objective sense...

• DrStrangelove 1 Oct 2013 03:30:56 3,372 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Mola_Ram

I seriously don't understand why anyone is playing Darksiders for more than twenty seconds. It's just such an awful piece of stinking garbage.
  • Mola_Ram 1 Oct 2013 03:39:35 6,986 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I found it too ordinary to deserve being called that. But you have your opinion, so... yesh. Not much more to say. :)
  • FuzzyDuck 1 Oct 2013 05:40:24 3,905 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm also in the "Darksiders is garbage" camp, but it's more 5/10 garbage than 2/10.
  • CosmicFuzz 1 Oct 2013 06:25:43 23,281 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's really not garbage. It might not be to your taste, or you might think it's average, but it's not garbage. It's really not. There's a hundred other games that are, and Darksiders is far better than them. Even if you don't like it for personal reasons, that fact remains true.

Looking for a new gaming podcast to listen to? LOOK NO FURTHER!

• King_Edward 1 Oct 2013 08:00:51 11,454 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So it's garbage to him. There's nothing objectively not shit about it. Or any other game for that matter.
  • DUFFMAN5 1 Oct 2013 09:38:30 14,422 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Grand Theft Auto V
    Completion was at 74% at credits so still a fair amount of arsing about to do. Not interested in 100% it
    Brilliant and for me the best GTA behind Vice City (child of the eighties ;) )
    Looking forward to online now.

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 09:38:56 01-10-2013

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• FuzzyDuck 1 Oct 2013 09:57:59 3,905 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    It's really not garbage. It might not be to your taste, or you might think it's average, but it's not garbage. It's really not. There's a hundred other games that are, and Darksiders is far better than them. Even if you don't like it for personal reasons, that fact remains true.
    As said, objectively, it's complete muck to me - thought the gameplay was laughably poor, the graphics were piss poor too (particularly the "amazing" art design - I couldn't tell if I was looking at the guy's head, shoulder, fist, etc.

It's not fundamentally broken and plenty of people played through it, but it's still 5/10 rubbish for me.

Difference of opinion and all that! :D
  • mrpon 1 Oct 2013 10:35:03 28,474 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm playing it at the moment and loving it. It's the perfect mesh of God of War, Metroid and Zelda, for me.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• lordofdeadside 2 Oct 2013 07:27:10 1,100 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Brothers

Great little game, quite short but an enjoyable journey whilst it lasted. Having a control scheme that mirrored the narrative is a stroke of genius and it's used well, predictably at times but it often delights.

There's more than a touch of Team Ico about it too with sweeping landscapes, a made up language and even benches to rest on. The fantasy setting is well realised and often breathtaking, but I did feel that it just stayed too close to "traditional fantasy", it could have done with a little more originality in it's setting.

9/10
  • DrStrangelove 3 Oct 2013 00:31:35 3,372 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    I'm also in the "Darksiders is garbage" camp, but it's more 5/10 garbage than 2/10.
    But you're wrong. It's 2/10 garbage.
  • Deleted user 3 October 2013 00:45:00
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    Apart from Jak II, I can't think of a game that made me truly hate its guts. Tales of Vesperia is a fantastic game with truly hateful trophies, but I can't blame them for exploiting my trophy whore weakness.

Assassin's Creed II was another game that I stopped playing within a couple of hours, desperately trying to like it, but again, that's on me. I don't think that the game is shite in an objective sense...
    Why Jak 2?
  • Telepathic.Geometry 3 Oct 2013 04:30:25 11,274 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @rumblesushi: Well, I have a lot of reasons, so please allow me to list them.

1. Jak 1 was pure platformer, so that's what I was expecting. Instead I got guns and cars, neither of which was very well implemented until Jak 3.

2. It was extremely difficult (which is okay) and punishing (which isn't). Particularly the driving was a 'mare. I say this as someone who has no complaints about Demon's/Dark Souls, or Vanquish or the combat missions in Batman which are too difficult for me.

3. There was very little actual platforming in it. And the various ecos were conspicuously absent for the most part, instead making you rely on the guns, which had a dodgy auto-aim mechanic. Even the new dark eco powers were rarely (not never, mind) of any use to me.

4. Also, where Jak 1 had the incredibly useful list of collectibles, which actively encouraged you to go find them all and showed you which ones you had yet to snag, Jak II does not. Most of them were also a pain in the arse to track down too, whereas I thoroughly enjoyed every hidden precursor orb and power cell in Jak 1.

5. It's impossible to play Jak II without killing at least a few random civilians. Maybe I'm being too precious, but what the fuck is that all about?

6. See 1. again.

• FuzzyDuck 3 Oct 2013 06:24:02 3,905 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    But you're wrong. It's 2/10 garbage.
    2/10 to me is something that goes beyond derivative rubbish (which Darksiders is to me) and into the realms of downright broken, unplayable rubbish.

I'd rather watch paint dry than play the first Darksiders again, but that's not to say that it isn't playable.
  • Page

of 405 First / Last