Recently Completed Games Page 350

• Page

of 408 First / Last

• dominalien 21 Aug 2013 16:13:25 6,848 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I need to play TLJ again, then. I thought it was distinctly average back when, with silly and ill-fitting puzzles. I loved Dreamfall, though.

PSN: DonOsito

• Rhaegyr 21 Aug 2013 16:18:04 1,524 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @imamazed

April was an amazing protagonist - it's been so refreshing to control someone you actively root for and want to succeed instead of the same husks devoid of personality. In fact, I find it hard to recall a game that had a better set of characters across the board; Burns Flipper, Cortez, Crow, The Gribbler(!), Holloway (that voice), McAllen, Roper Klacks, Westhouse, Zack etc.

I've just finished it roughly half an hour ago and the epilogue was perfect (nearly brought a tear to my eye when Crow walks in). Feeling withdrawal symptoms now, ha!
  • Stranded87 21 Aug 2013 16:19:46 882 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I loved TLJ. If anything I think Dreamfall probably had a slightly better story though I'm not a fan of how April ended up. But the gameplay in TLJ is way better and as a complete package it's a better game imo.
  • whatthefu 21 Aug 2013 17:14:48 861 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GRID 2.

Enjoyed it a lot, seemed to strike realism/fun really well. Looked lovely and unlike NFS: Most Wanted, it took a while to complete.

9/10
  • djronz. 21 Aug 2013 17:27:54 266 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Double dragon neon 8/10

Growing up in the 80's and early 90's I was a massive fan of the double dragon arcade machines so was a little unsure about this 'reimaging' at first but after playing the demo I decided to get the full game.

It's quite clever really as rather than simply do a remake they have done a sort of parody, not just of DD but of the era too and as a result it does more to take you back to those times than any other retro revisit I can think of.
    As a game it's fairly simple stuff, there is some depth to the combat but nothing major but the art style is fantastic and it has such a great sense of humour I couldn't help but have fun playing it though I appreciate that to many younger gamers the point will be lost.

Special mention to the soundtrack too, re arranged versions of some of the originals awesome tunes mixed with 80's parody music, all of with is exceptional. Well worth the 6.50 on psn.
  • Syrette 22 Aug 2013 08:39:14 43,232 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just got done with Guacamelee (Vita).

Won't go into detail as I'm about to head off to work, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Think I might even prefer it to Shadow Complex (another metroidvania, albeit one more focused on shooting).

Good puzzles, gorgeous to look at, never too frustrating but a decent enough challenge. Combat never gets tiring, in fact it's a pleasure to go back to places you've already been just because there are some random enemies there.

9/10.

• kinky_mong 22 Aug 2013 10:23:01 10,098 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Crysis (360 version)

Started out hating it, felt like a really generic FPS with eagle-eyed enemies that spot you from miles away making stealth all but useless. I warmed to it though, especially at the tank section and heading towards the alien craft thing. There were still some annoying sections (like inside the alien craft and the final boss but overall it was an enjoyable game.

Obviously this version isn't the graphical spectacle it was 5 years ago on PC, but there's still a reasonably solid game to carry it.

7/10

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• Doomspoon 22 Aug 2013 12:00:25 2,461 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Uncharted 3
    This PS3 stuff's all new to me but got to play it thanks to PS+. As such I've not played any of the previous ones and had no real expectations other than "it's a bit like Tomb Raider isn't it?".

I found it visually stunning and am really impressed with the funky stuff that their engine can do, the tripping out sections and sea levels were particularly impressive with the moving water and objects sliding and rolling across the decks. Also the lighting and animation were great. I've since seen The Last Of Us and am further impressed.

I loved the nods to Elizabethan history and use of John Dee's work.

I really enjoyed the majority of the game, taken up until around the 18th chapter it was solid 9/10 stuff but the latter levels were incredibly frustrating for a variety of reasons. Lengthy, dull events such as the convoy chase and the stupidly drawn out final punch up. Wonky cameras causing iffy jumping in the collapse sequence. Horrible firefights marred by x-ray vision enemies (I get that it's a sandstorm and I can't see them clearly enough to take the shot, surely that should work both ways?). Cheap enemy tactics, snipers and grenade and RPG spam coupled with bullet resistant brutes or the guys in full armour. The last chapters I just wanted to be finished and was no longer enjoying playing. What had been a 9/10 was dragged down to a very pretty 6/10 by this point.

The overall package, for the enjoyment I garnered from the first 7-8 hours but a painful final 2 hours means yet another 8/10
  • Deleted user 22 August 2013 12:13:55
    Assassins creed 3

Decent, enjoyed it more and more as it went on. Interesting story. Open world is well crafted, plenty to do.

Modern day stuff is absolute gubbins. Don't have a clue what is going on and can't remember what happened in previous games.

Naval missions were the biggest highlight, superbely done. Some issues in main game still, running up walls and quite a lot of glitches. and its not till later in the game there some mission highlights - storming the fort - which is a side mission!. Like some of the the new stealth elements - peeping round walls and eaves dropping, but time and time again the game would do something that you never asked you do which just drags you out of the immersion. Also many of the side stuff just exists, never explained - crafting etc. Though the assassin recruitment was well played.

7/10
  • wobbly_Bob 22 Aug 2013 15:31:05 1,700 posts
    Seen 41 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Explodemon - an old one, but really good. Homage to 8-bit action platform games such as Megaman. I loved the fake engrish and humour overall. The game was really fun and not really difficult though there are a few tricky bits in the later levels. The one small annoyance is that the devs decided later level checkpoints would be far apart to give greater challenge. No! It's not more challenging, just annoying.

I would definitely recommend 8/10
  • Kostabi 22 Aug 2013 18:15:53 4,903 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Assassin's Creed 3

Playing this straight after AC2 and Brotherhood was probably a mistake as I just didn't find it as interesting as either.

I also thought the notoriety system was broken, especially in New York where guards would just start chasing me for no apparent reason which just got more and more annoying.

The storyline wasn't the usual subtle political manoeuvring and string pulling, it's just Connor The Last Action Hero with every bad guy in America seemingly knowing who he was. Just found the whole thing a bit meh and silly even in an AC title.

It's a 7/10, but only because the naval stuff is ace and some of the big set pieces were suitably epic.
  • Dombat 22 Aug 2013 18:34:55 249 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    whatthefu wrote:
    GRID 2.

Enjoyed it a lot, seemed to strike realism/fun really well. Looked lovely and unlike NFS: Most Wanted, it took a while to complete.

9/10
    I'm really enjoying it too, it seems to have the exact balance between arcade and sim that I look for in a racing game, with car handling that is varied enough and fun.

Learning curve is smooth - I'm on season 4 currently and starting to find it more challenging now.

There seemed to be a lot of negativity surrounding the game from people that don't even appear to have given it a chance. The lack of cockpit cam isn't a big deal for me though.
  • famous_roy 22 Aug 2013 21:49:18 4,100 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gone Home

Totally engrossing and possesses an incredible sense of atmosphere. You're basically playing this for the story, it's a walk around and read-em-up. If you're in the right frame of mind for an absorbing, slow-burn, you'll enjoy it..

For me the story wasn't quite as touching as some have described, and it hasn't left me feeling like I wanted more or that I'll be thinking about it incessantly, which I'm guessing the developers were trying to invoke.

Compared to it's closest peer, Dear Esther, it didn't quite hold it together for me as a consistent whole, but definitely worth a try if you're craving something along those lines.

7/10

I'm papercaves on the Twitter. This is mah Tumblr and I'm ulysseys31 on PSN :D

• Mola_Ram 23 Aug 2013 15:20:10 7,142 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dishonored - 7.7/10

What a lovely time that was. A great world, great sneaking, great powers. It was basically another Thief, which I very much approve of.

Lost a couple of points for the last bit of the game. The last couple of missions were a bit shite, as was the ending. And the story has the most obvious twist I've seen in some time. Much eye-rolling was had.

Still, I really liked it. On to the DLC!
  • drhcnip 23 Aug 2013 15:25:40 2,477 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    operation raccoon city on ps3

better than i expected and a few nice touches relating to the early resi games but nothing alarmingly original or adventurous...

6/10
  • Commander-Keen 23 Aug 2013 15:29:26 806 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Skyrim with Heathfire / Dawnguard / DragonBorn DLCs - Despite all the buggyness and grinding, Skyrim blew me away the first time around and was even better with all this extra content.

It's not perfect, and there are a few things which are a touch vexing but all the new stuff definitely helps further that immersive experience in which you can lose yourself for days and weeks, if you're that way inclined.

Awesome 9/10
  • dunny 23 Aug 2013 15:40:48 433 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Dishonored - 7.7/10

What a lovely time that was. A great world, great sneaking, great powers. It was basically another Thief, which I very much approve of.

Lost a couple of points for the last bit of the game. The last couple of missions were a bit shite, as was the ending. And the story has the most obvious twist I've seen in some time. Much eye-rolling was had.

Still, I really liked it. On to the DLC!
    The DLC is awesomecakes. Just finished the knife of dunwall and I thought that was superb. I just love the setting.
  • Mola_Ram 23 Aug 2013 15:45:29 7,142 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah, the setting is great. Reminds me of Thief, which is not a bad thing at all!

I look forward to going through some missions again in slaughter-everything mode. This playthrough was a no-killing-no-getting-spotted one.
  • glaeken 23 Aug 2013 16:52:03 11,131 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Forza Horizon - 9/10 - Rather superb. Might be my fav racer this generation. I love the car handling in particular. You know they have it right when it's actually fun to just drive around in the open world. I barely used fast travel as I just found it fun to drive everywhere.

Only faults really for me were I wish the run offs on the road were bigger. I would rather lose time by going really wide that hitting some indestructible fence. It also made it a little too easy to ride the fences in some instances.

Overall though it's really well polished game that I thoroughly enjoyed. I never actually got on with any of the traditional Forza games either so if that is the case for anyone and it has put them off Horizon I would say it's worth trying.

Edited by glaeken at 16:54:08 23-08-2013
  • wobbly_Bob 23 Aug 2013 17:59:19 1,700 posts
    Seen 41 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Stealth Inc - this is coming free in next month's psn+ games, you're in for a treat. The game us a stealth based platform puzzler. The puzzles and platforming can be really tricky but never frustrating. The game constantly projects sarcastic comments on to the wall as you make your way.

I loved the imagination an ingenious level design. The game constantly comes up in new things. One set of levels might involve beams of light, another sound sensitive drones, another teleporters.

Great stuff 9/10
  • Zomoniac 23 Aug 2013 20:37:22 7,821 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bioshock Infinite

I think the original Bioshock is the most overrated game of the generation (discounting games in genres I hate; I would struggle to give most RPGs more than a 3 but I can generally appreciate a good FPS), a sub-par FPS with tedious combat and too much backtracking. The setting and atmosphere were nice for a while, but the competely empty world soon left it feeling flat.

I never bothered playing 2, but for reasons unknown I felt compelled to try this, albeit many months after it came out. And what it is is everything I had hoped Bioshock would be. The world is so perfectly created, so vibrant and alive. I spent the opening hour with no weapons, not really doing anything, just wandering the streets, eavesdropping on conversations, looking out at the distant things on the horizon, taking it all in. All the feel and atmosphere the first game promised in its opening minutes, but soon lost when it became quickly apparent it was a series of empty corridors.

The art style is lovely, some sort of strange halfway between realistic and all-out cartoon, but it works. The combat is much improved, the bulk of the enemies no longer run straight at you on sight, and the bigger enemies can no longer be despatched in three seconds as soon as you unlock a grenade launcher like the big daddies. Some of the battles in the big open spaces were great fun, actually requiring some thought and planning, and incorporating the sky-rails into the fights makes it feel very different. Aside from a couple of ludicrous difficulty spikes, notably the one right at the end, the combat was all enjoyable.

It might also be the first game ever with a fixed companion that I didn't wish dead. She's not intrusive, never gets in the way, the ammo and health supplies she gives are a handy touch, and she's an interesting character, the conversations between the two of them keep the pace flowing and stop the game dragging during those stretches when the streets are a bit empty.

The spectacle of the whole thing just needs to be witnessed. The looking out onto the distance and seeing huge things towering over the world, things you later get to go to, watching as things start to blow up and fall over in something you'd more expect to see in a Battlefield tech demo.

It's one of those games that does everything it sets out to do very well, but manages to be so much more than the sum of its parts, it just feels right, everything clicks together and creates, without wishing to sound like an MS exec, a mesmerising experience.

• CharlieStCloud 23 Aug 2013 20:45:04 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Zomoniac

As much as I liked The Last of Us, and do believe it is one of the top, top game of this generation, I do look back at BioShock Infinite more fondly purely because of the style, the world and the characters.

... surprised you didn't mention nary a thing about the ending! You liked the way the story came to a close?
  • Zomoniac 23 Aug 2013 20:56:39 7,821 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Didn't want to spoil anything!

It all got very trippy towards the end. I was genuinely moved by it but I'm not entirely sure what to make of it, given the whole infinite realities thing although the ending happened presumably through another tear that didn't happen. I was struggling to follow at some points!
  • CharlieStCloud 23 Aug 2013 21:04:58 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Zomoniac

Maybe you would like to have a thorough glance in here?

... BioShock Infinite SPOILERS thread!
  • Megapocalypse 24 Aug 2013 10:51:45 5,370 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Uncharted 3 - 7/10

Still a very good have but didn't seem to be as much fun as the previous ones. Controlling Drake seemed more sluggish compared to the previous games and the combat was still frustrating at times.

Storywise it starts off well but loses it the further into the game you get. The final third ( pirates onward) almost felt like a different game with very little that had come before it being explained:

Drake's true name
    The spiders
    English bad guy's ability to appear and disappear

To name a few.

Also, I liked Charlie and it was a shame he wasn't in the second half of the game. Script list a lot of its humour once he left.

Edited by Megapocalypse at 10:52:28 24-08-2013
  • ardamillo 24 Aug 2013 14:42:29 521 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hitman Absolution (360)

Looking back at Tom Bramwell's review I think he got it pretty spot on.

I respect the game for having so many ways to carry out hits, but most of them require Splinter Cell trial and error stealth which is just tedious. It's kind of a shame that they've gone to such great lengths to make it replayable, but I can't face going through all those stealthy parts again just to try out some other options.

Story is the usual cobblers, but the villain is great and some of the environments are gorgeous. I do quite like the overblown seediness of it all.

7/10
  • Deleted user 24 August 2013 16:24:59
    Crimson Shroud - 3DS

Picked this up on a whim after Rab Florence namechecked it in his RPS review of Space Hulk. It's an interesting concept: JRPG/Adventure using miniatures as character models and plays out rather well with simple and understandable mechanics but does tend to get bogged down too much in sticking to JPG cliche mechanics with some fights outstaying their welcome simply as a means of increasing longevity than any other good reason

The world building and story is engaging and well written, but still feels rather trite and generic at times, latterly becoming too interested in exposition to solve the 'mystery' rather than building all the way through.

Oh and there's a fucking awful 'puzzle' at one point relying on grinding one of four possible spawn sets for a rare drop. Out of six hours of playthrough, I can estimate 60-90 mins was wasted on that.

6/10
  • Deleted user 24 August 2013 17:28:09
    @ardamillo You don't have to replay all the stealthy parts though. You can select sub-levels of missions and go straight to the assassination bits.
  • Deleted user 24 August 2013 20:36:43
    Sleeping Dogs - Playstation 3

Completed the story, after which the Player is placed in an apartment and is free to roam to complete any uncompleted side missions etc. The game is hugely entertaining, featuring great music, animation, acting, while the graphics are a mixed bag of impressive, good, sometimes over blurred.
  • Page

of 408 First / Last