• FuzzyDuck 16 Aug 2013 07:46:02 4,714 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thread fix!
  • FuzzyDuck 16 Aug 2013 07:48:31 4,714 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Telepathic.Geometry

I'm inclined to agree with you there, AC lost the tight focus and story telling. A lot of the new gadgets felt shoehorned into it.

Still a very good game, but it just lost that little something that made AA so special.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 16 Aug 2013 07:57:33 11,472 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @FuzzyDuck Yeah man, they're both good games, but Asylum was virtually flawless from start to finish, whereas City really felt like a patchwork job, with some nice things here and there, but lacking that cohesion and sense of purpose that made AA a timeless (too early to call?) classic, and the best superhero game I have ever played...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• dominalien 16 Aug 2013 08:16:20 7,029 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Telepathic.Geometry

This goes with the territory (figuratively and literally). A single, coherent space will be more meaningful to players, and more likely to be tightly designed, than a sprawling, open space, or a linear progression of areas where you always visit a given place once.

Cf. Dead Space and Dead Space 2, Prince of Persia WW and PoP TTT or, to use a very old (but brilliant) example, Ultima Underworld and UW2.

Note, these are mostly sequels, where the emphasis seems to be on making "bigger" and "more impressive" experiences.

PSN: DonOsito

• Telepathic.Geometry 16 Aug 2013 08:38:41 11,472 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm not generally fond of open world games, unless they're either full on (like Skyrim was for me), or it's fun to get around the city (like in Infamous). In Arkham City it was relatively easy to get around the city, but how much fun was it?

I think that that game would have been better if every single building were accessible and populated, and the city were half or a third the size, maybe make it more 3D than sprawling?

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• coomber 16 Aug 2013 15:02:26 342 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sleeping Dogs

Best game I have played in a long while. Taking the best bits from GTA, Saints Row and Yakuza was an inspired idea. Unfortunately, Sleeping Dogs doesn't quite match up with any of those games when they are at their best. There are too many bugs requiring you to reload, the odd graphical glitch, and, for this type of game, it's a little on the short side unless you make full use of all the side quests that are there to pad it out a bit.

But there is a great story and the hand-to-hand combat is better than even Batman: Arkham Asylum's.

8/10
  • gelf 16 Aug 2013 19:01:10 188 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd say the only area City improves over Asylum was the boss fights. Asylum was mostly boring Bane clone variations while City had stuff like that far more inventive Mr Freeze fight.
  • Raiko101 16 Aug 2013 19:38:23 6,608 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Kid Icarus

Considering it's age, it's really not a bad game. The only two complaints I have with it are that the controlls are both slippery and sluggish at the same time (making vertical platforming particularly tricky), and the difficulty curve is upside down (making it hard to get into).

If you've got a 3DS then i'd recommend the 3DS Classics version any day. It tightens up the controls a lot, which in turn brings the difficulty down a notch, allowing you to enjoy the game a lot more.

Original Version 3/5
    3DS Version 4/5

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• TechnoHippy 17 Aug 2013 20:22:52 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gears of War: Judgement

The first game I've completed in ages. I've always enjoyed the Gears games, good solid (and macho!) fun.

7/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• MrTomFTW Moderator 18 Aug 2013 13:32:11 39,362 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    coomber wrote:
    Sleeping Dogs

Best game I have played in a long while.

8/10
    You should write for Eurogamer ;)

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Matt36 18 Aug 2013 18:08:14 1,432 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Windows Solitaire

I play solitaire on my laptop anyway, usually when watching TV. So for Windows 8 to include XBOX achievements, was pretty cool.

5/10
  • IJ 18 Aug 2013 21:22:46 843 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Halo Wars

Meh. Just finished the final mission. If you're a Halo nut then it's probably worth checking out, it does do Halo well. But aside from that, it just doesn't get RTS on a console right. Each unit has a special ability, but it's too fiddly on a pad to use them. Yes you can get a spartan to take over a vehicle but in the midst of battle with a controller it's too tricky to do. Mostly it came down to just building a load of units and sending them off to battle. It had some nice ideas, but a lot of those ideas would have worked better with a mouse. They should have gone more macro, not more micro.

Some missions were quite good fun and it's only about 10-12 hours of game, so not too long. The graphics and music are of course good but generally, I felt pretty underwhelmed. It also bugged on a mission which I had to restart which was annoying.

6/10
  • munki83 18 Aug 2013 21:47:58 1,447 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shadowrun Returns 7/10

This was the first of the kickstarter games I backed that got released. I will admit that I backed it without playing any of the other games in the series, not knowing much about the universe and ...I kinda got drawn in by all the hype of Kickstarter at the time.

The game they released is great, limited but great. The game is a cyberpunk conspiracy story with turn based combat and some rpg elements. I wish I could say its an RPG XCOM but the game is too limited and only having essentially a party of one character really brings the game donwn and makes it feel limited in scope. You can hire other NPCs to join you on a mission so its not you vs the world.

Hmmm what else can I say...the environments for the most part are varied and well detailed but the character models are a bit on the basic side but can be customized which is always a + point for me.

The game can feel a bit sterile at time with interactions being limited to key objects and characters you rarely get to just take in this interesting world of cyberpunk and fantasy.
  • FatsoJetson 19 Aug 2013 00:20:17 307 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thomas Was Alone

Enjoyable little puzzler that was ideal for the morning commute - not too taxing, nice short levels. Danny Wallace's narration worked as intended - helping imbue the little squares with some character and purpose.

Definitely worthy of the praise others have showered on it. Looking forward to Mike Bithell's next one now.

8/10

Edited by FatsoJetson at 00:20:36 19-08-2013
  • Nitrous 19 Aug 2013 07:27:23 467 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mafia 2: (ps3 ps+)

Completed it last week. Not be the best game in the world but was enjoyable enough to complete.

The shooting felt solid and the cover system worked well enough but it did crash two or three times during missions.
  • coomber 19 Aug 2013 22:19:57 342 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    coomber wrote:
    Sleeping Dogs

Best game I have played in a long while.

8/10
    You should write for Eurogamer ;)
    lol

8/10 has become beyond parody now!
  • drip 19 Aug 2013 22:56:36 4,607 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ducktales and Ducktales 2 on NES... 9/10

Really surprised there. I'm used to being disappointed from replaying even my favourite childhood games, but Ducktales is quality. It's actual fun, even today. Ace.
  • drip 19 Aug 2013 22:59:30 4,607 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh, and Skyrim. Again. 10/10, obviously. Thrash me all you want, but I think this is among my few favourite games of all time, together with Doom, Quake, Mass Effect and Binding of Isaac.
  • Doomspoon 19 Aug 2013 23:51:28 2,504 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sleeping Dogs PC

I went off GTA style games about half way through San Andreas when it released on PS2. I was so taken with the demo of this that I hunted down a 5 code on ebay.

Sure there's a lot it gets wrong, others have commented about the vehicle handling and combat is somewhat hit and miss, I did like the Max Payne style bullet time in the gunplay though. I thought it did a reasonable job of replicating the Hong Kong cinema it draws its influence from. I thought as far as storytelling in games goes it did fairly well, given that on the whole storytelling in games is dire and for the most part it's pointless pretending otherwise. The voice acting for the main characters was well executed and the scripting was largely painless, again taken in context of the material its influence is drawn from. It mostly looked quite pretty too. That said the NPC chatter was often dubious and there were some weird bugs with NPC interaction.

At times it reminded me of Shenmue, both good and bad in equal measure.

I couldn't be arsed to try and finish everything in the game but deviated from the main missions a little bit and mostly enjoyed doing so. Steam says I've put in around 20 hours but the game has it down as around 17. I did leave it paused for a long while a few times, by the end of it all it was starting to outstay its welcome, more because of a huge backlog of excellent games that I've barely touched across various formats and guilt was getting the better of me.

I certainly got my money's worth and wouldn't have been disappointed if I'd have paid around 15 for it. I too would give it an 8/10
  • sanctusmortis 20 Aug 2013 00:07:10 9,707 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gone Home (PC)

Such an amazing game. Well, I say game. It's more an interactive wander around a family home, alone and in the dark, piecing together where the heck everybody is. It's beautifully done, with excellent little touches throughout (the flavour text for certain objects is brilliant). Ridiculously priced, though; I took maybe 2 hours, and at 15 that is kinda crazy. Still, it's an experience, and I've played through 3 times now trying to find the hidden gems. Still missed some bits, it seems.

It's like an interactive 90s coming of age film, but you control the camera and the pace, and even to an extent the tone. Get it in the sale/whatever Humble Bundle it ends up in, and if you loved the old adventures like Myst you will feel truly at home. Groan.

10/10
  • StrikeForce 20 Aug 2013 15:28:52 114 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    From Dust
    There were moments when it was almost magical, a beautiful living, breathing sandbox world to tinker with. At other times, usually when there was some kind of countdown to impending cataclysm that needed to be attended to, it could be quite annoying e.g. fiddling around with the finicky cursor trying to get rid of some invisible water around a totem so that your little tribesmen could settle there.

Nevertheless, the good certainly outweighed the bad, and it was definitely one of the more unique experiences I've had on the xbox this generation.

8/10
  • HarryPalmer 20 Aug 2013 15:34:57 3,549 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @sanctusmortis - SHIT I didnt even know this was out! Been looking forward to this for ages. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Reacher 20 Aug 2013 22:39:52 888 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Spec Ops - The Line.

8/10.

I rather enjoyed that. Bit of a generic cover shooter, but the story was really really good, great ending and the graphics were pretty tidy on the PC.
  • Doomspoon 20 Aug 2013 23:02:49 2,504 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Max Payne 3 360

The first one I've played in the series, quite enjoyed it. I thought the bullet time gimmick would get old but it was great fun using it. One of the earlier levels quite reminded be of Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, no bad thing as I quite liked that game. Most of the levels were pretty cool, the Favela was a favourite of mine. I had a weird bug there though, a cutscene failed to trigger and I was able to access an area I shouldn't have and ended up doing the endless fall through a fake floor. This couldn't be fixed without a reboot.

It was quite cheesy at times in terms of dialogue but well acted. The story itself I found quite interesting.

I didn't like some set pieces, a couple were particularly frustrating. One had a checkpoint before immediate death unless I moved slightly to the right but even moving often resulted in death too. 10 minutes spent on the same 10 or so seconds of gameplay, or lack thereof nearly resulted in me ditching it but I was on the penultimate levelor so and it seemed a shame to quit at that point.

I got it in one of the Xbox sales at a reasonable price, not sure I've had paid more than a tenner for it but on the whole it was enjoyable with some odd difficulty spikes. It mostly looked and sounded nice if occasionally the cutscenes dragged on a little too long.

Another 8/10
  • PazJohnMitch 21 Aug 2013 04:25:17 8,617 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Virtue's Last Reward

Took me a little while to get into it but once it clicked I thought it was ace. Really enjoyed seeing the different timelines based on the different choices. Also liked the way the lead comments on the occasional paradox.

Slightly annoying that some scenes are very, very similar in some timelines as others but cannot be skipped due to the slight differences.

Ending was somewhat long winded.

8/10
  • Stranded87 21 Aug 2013 14:31:20 937 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gone Home

A sublime story beautifully told. It's actually quite refreshing to play a game with such a grounded story and while the themes may not be original the writing and presentation are strong enough to lift it up.

The gameplay itself is little more than rifling through boxes and cupboards in a house, but it's all in service of the story, makes narrative sense and doesn't overstay its welcome. It's so rare to find games where the gameplay and story mesh this well.

I won't say more about it than that but I think it's going to stay with me and I may well revisit it.

10/10

Incidentally this is the third 10/10 I've given this year (the other two were for Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us), when I normally give at most one a year. Not sure if I'm going soft or if this is just a really good year for games.
  • whatfruit 21 Aug 2013 14:46:52 1,638 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rouge Legacy 7/10

Finished this in about a week I would have given it an 8 but there is so little enemy variation and after the second boss I was finding it a hard slog to maintain interest.

This was mainly due to the lack of variation in the environments, the lack of any narrative drive which made me want to progress and the high cost of upgrades late in the game which make the required gold farming a chore.

On the plus side though I had a lot of fun playing it in the short bursts that I did, the puzzles were inventive and the enemies were stunning and the class and family traits added to enjoyment of each run through the castle.

Wonderful little game though a well deserving of the 6 i paid for it and will be looking forward to any future releases by Cellar Door Games.

bobomb wrote:
    so it's not really on her terms, it's on his terms, because she isn't real.

• PazJohnMitch 21 Aug 2013 15:11:41 8,617 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wow 2 people giving gone home 10s
  • Rhaegyr 21 Aug 2013 16:09:18 2,669 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Longest Journey

Wow. Up there with Grim Fandango and Monkey Island 2 as one of the very best adventure games I've ever played. Easily one of the most interesting worlds I've come across in my years of playing. The only downside is the CGI looks naff (which is understandable as I'm playing it roughly 10 years too late).

The story was bloody fantastic and I can't wait to hear more of it - unfortunately the sequel doesn't seem to be as well received as its predecessor.
  • imamazed 21 Aug 2013 16:11:28 5,902 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    The Longest Journey

Wow. Up there with Grim Fandango and Monkey Island 2 as one of the very best adventure games I've ever played. Easily one of the most interesting worlds I've come across in my years of playing. The only downside is the CGI looks naff (which is understandable as I'm playing it roughly 10 years too late).

The story was bloody fantastic and I can't wait to hear more of it - unfortunately the sequel doesn't seem to be as well received as its predecessor.
    Best game of all time.

The sequel has several gameplay misteps (though thankfully a lot of them are avoidable) but the story is still excellent. I really reccomend it. If you like April Ryan as a protagonist, just wait till you meet Zoe Castillo!
  • Page

of 422 First / Last