Recently Completed Games Page 345

• Page

of 404 First / Last

• imamazed 1 Aug 2013 09:22:23 5,520 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sly Cooper 1

My kind of platformer. A good challenege without being ridiculous. You never lose that much progress. Lots of variety too. Looking forward to 2 and 3 now.

8/10
  • King_Edward 1 Aug 2013 09:44:59 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @imamazed

Sly 2&3 are quite different from the first game. 2 has some teething problems with added playable characters, but Sly 3 is excellent.

Edited by King_Edward at 09:45:28 01-08-2013
  • FuzzyDuck 1 Aug 2013 10:10:56 3,890 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Sly games are indeed excellent, 3 was my own personal highlight.

Although if you like to play with an inverted Y-axis, watch out for 2, as it either inverts both X and Y, or neither of them.
  • imamazed 1 Aug 2013 10:16:06 5,520 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    The Sly games are indeed excellent, 3 was my own personal highlight.

Although if you like to play with an inverted Y-axis, watch out for 2, as it either inverts both X and Y, or neither of them.
    Nah, I'm not special; I play without inverting either axis.
  • CitizenGeek 1 Aug 2013 11:24:55 3,527 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Grand Theft Auto IV
    However fun the big, multi-stage missions in GTA IV are, they stop being fun when you have to repeat the mission 4 or 5 times from the very, very beginning because some unclear time limit was not kept to, your car spins out of control from hitting a pole, etc. Lack of checkpoints on missions basically spoiled the game for me, I'm afraid. Hard to enjoy a game when "winning" just feels like attrition because you've had to repeat a mission from the start so many times and only complete it through luck and trial and error. Also, friend dates are such an inane mechanic - what was Rockstar thinking? Adds nothing to the game except frequent irritation. I really don't like internal time and day/night cycles in games if it means having to waste time waiting around to do something until Day X, Time Y comes. That said, I liked the humour and the satire, the story was pretty good (Niko is a great anti-hero) and many of the missions were fine. 7/10

Edited by CitizenGeek at 11:34:03 01-08-2013
  • Rens11 1 Aug 2013 15:36:34 1,385 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Witcher 2 PC

Obviously very pretty but poor LOD with things like grass appearing in front of your eyes and Geralts hair constantly clipping through his armor take the sheen off. The potion system is idiotic, requiring psychic ability to know when to use them and your forced to sit through the same tedious meditation clip everytime. Combat is pretty basic and easy unless you get surrounded. It was nice to play a more adult themed story, that doesn't shy away from sex and violence nor difficult decisions. The game contains quite a few glitches and I had to reload to a much earlier save to get an animation to load and continue the game. Looking forward to the witcher 3

6/10

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• DFawkes 1 Aug 2013 15:52:53 22,584 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Absolutely loved it. Does everything I loved from Deus Ex, and fixed almost everything I didn't. Can't believe it took me until the Steam Sale to buy it! I'm sure everyone has been over what they liked about it years ago so I won't go on, but I just really enjoyed it, and all the augmentation stuff. I even enjoyed it more than the first.

The only things I didn't like were the fact it steers you a bit much towards stealth where I wanted to be Rambo, though Rambo is still a viable way to play once you've made yourself a bit bulletproof and expanded your inventory to carry loads of bullets. That, plus the bosses, which I didn't have trouble with because the Typhoon is awesome, but were still unwelcome and felt unnecessary.

9/10

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• TheMightyRose 1 Aug 2013 15:57:47 174 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time on the Vita.

This was pretty much like all the other Sly games in the series so far, so in other words it was excellent. I think my favourite is still part 2 although this comes close in places. Some of the Cooper clan relatives are great and the Rocky IV inspired montage complete with music was brilliant. This is a game just about anyone can enjoy and games like these should always be around. Getting the platinum is tricky but not too hard as well. All in all another great title in the series.
    Roll on Sly 5 on the Vita again!

Mr.O Investigated this game and gave it a 9/10.

Edited by TheMightyRose at 15:58:05 01-08-2013
  • sanctusmortis 1 Aug 2013 18:28:17 9,627 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Advertures of TinTin, 360

It's not a bad little platformer, this. Combat's neat, there's a lot of collectibles to get along the way, and the co-op campaign's arguably better than the single player. It's very short, though, and some of the achievements and collectibles are silly.

7/10
  • superdelphinus 1 Aug 2013 19:12:52 8,016 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Walking Dead season 1 (PC)

Bit of a mixed bag for me. Some amazingly cheesy dialogue early on but it gets stronger later on. I liked the episode with the diary but it was a bit too obvious what was going on within about 5 seconds of it starting (and usually i'm completely shit at guessing storylines).

The 'finale' was good and the sidekick, whom I had found arse clenchingly irritating for the whole game, suddenly found a place in my heart and I really wanted to protect them. Also, there isn't really a lot of 'gaming'.

7.5/10

400 days DLC

A piss take at 4 but fine for what it was. Would have been kinder to have this as a sort of free season 2 trailer I think. 5/10

Edited by superdelphinus at 19:14:43 01-08-2013
  • ronuds 1 Aug 2013 19:16:15 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rens11 wrote:
    Witcher 2 PC

Looking forward to the witcher 3

6/10
    After such a damning review, I have to wonder why?!?
  • Rens11 1 Aug 2013 23:54:25 1,385 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    6/10 isn't damning! although the text is pretty negative its mainly nitpicking and from what I've seen of seen of the witcher 3 so far looks rather promising, fixing the small interconnected levels and frequent loading screens.

Edited by Rens11 at 08:45:52 02-08-2013

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• DFawkes 2 Aug 2013 14:11:39 22,584 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Another one off the backlog! That I created thanks to the Steam Sale, but still at least I got to the end of both games I bought.

Star Trek

I knew I'd probably get some enjoyment out of it, but it's a lot better than I expected in some places, and a lot worse in other. What I did love was the core shooting and scanning stuff, which felt fairly solid. It can be hard to make phaser games feel like they have any punch, but they did their best.

I found the combat quite satisfying, but a bit easy - lots of cover suggests they wanted it to be Gears of Trek, but I rarely used cover. Once you've upgraded the default gun of your chosen character, it's so powerful you can usually take out a roomful of enemies before going down.

I also loved the Spock/Kirk dynamic. They banter was quite amusing and the slight differences to their default weapons was nice. I'll probably try the game in co-op sometime, but even in single player it was cool. I gave my AI Kirk the weak-point expose ability and shield overcharge, so he'd give me extra shield to pop out and do extra damage :)

However, there are secondary objectives a few times that require stealth, and the stealth is rubbish and barely functional. It doesn't help that I played this and Deus Ex at the same time, as at times the level design almost tries to copy Deus Ex (hidden extra paths to consoles to hack and other stuff like that) but it doesn't really work.

Also, the bits where you're avoiding stuff in space are broken so sometimes you die without hitting anything. One of these near the end was right after a 30 sec unskippable conversation, which can piss right off.

But overall I quite enjoyed it. Maybe a bit overlong too, even at the 11 hours it took me. A few interesting set-pieces and some cool levels mean I might even revisit it. Definitely happy at a fiver.

7/10 (Only just though, probably a 6 if I was in a bad mood)

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Zomoniac 2 Aug 2013 14:15:54 7,788 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @CitizenGeek Get the Ballad Of Gay Tony DLC. About 10 hours long, mid-mission checkpointing, no friend dates, ridiculous humour and some incredible missions.
  • TheHammerite 2 Aug 2013 14:29:15 1,512 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Resident Evil 4 PC

I'd already completed this on the PS2 more times than I can rememeber. The PC version feels a little more stingy with ammo, but it might be that my aiming has gotten worse. Finished with 82% shot accuracy.

Great game though! And very big, usually takes 12 hours to get through and there are other modes to unlock.

9/10
  • unicorn69 2 Aug 2013 15:53:21 81 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Red Dead Redemption
    This game is just what games should be the. Gameplay is excellent the story is just amazing and world itself is huge and well made. There are some few hiccups but nothing major. The ending is fucking awesome and a little bit sad, very sad 9/10

Far cry 3
    The game is well made and the gameplay is solid. The story is fine and there are some fine moments but most of the time its just plain boring. but still i enjoyed it 8/10

ps Imho both endings were just not satisfying.

Notice: If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.

• PazJohnMitch 2 Aug 2013 16:32:27 7,779 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @unicorn69

If you did not find the RDR ending satisfying there is a very good chance you have not actually done the final mission.

Have a stroll into town...
  • unicorn69 2 Aug 2013 16:53:26 81 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @PazJohnMitch

ummm you might wanna read my post again ;-)

Edit: To clarify i meant the two endings you can have in far cry 3

Edited by unicorn69 at 16:55:45 02-08-2013

Notice: If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.

• King_Edward 3 Aug 2013 19:44:51 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dear Esther

Beautiful and moving. Not really a game as much as an interactive story, told through music and narration.

8/10
  • jimlufc 4 Aug 2013 14:01:40 117 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Super Mario 3d Land

Bought this months ago, played it a bit, then gave up for some reason. Went back to it after the announcement of 3d World and am really glad I did.

I found the game offered that old fashioned frustration of having to restart and replay a level again and again in order to finally overcome it. This seems to have been lost in a world of instant restarts which don't provide me with the same level of satisfaction as finally overcoming something.

The Special worlds at the end were particularly good and I personally found them pretty difficult, especially trying to collect all the big gold coins.

The mix between a more traditional linear platform game and the 3d exploration based games worked perfectly for a handheld game.

Really looking forward to 3d world now.

9/10
  • Stranded87 4 Aug 2013 17:26:20 849 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Shadowrun Returns

I had a lot of fun with this, a mix of Xcom like combat, RPG mechanics and good writing. Loved the setting too. It could have done with being more open/giving you more choice in how to approach things and desperately needed a manual save system but that didn't stop it being a good tactical RPG. I'm now looking forward to the Berlin campaign and user generated content.

8/10
  • senso-ji 5 Aug 2013 00:16:54 5,789 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DmC - Devil May cry

After being impressed with the demo, I was kind of let down by this. The gameplay promises more than it actually delivers. The problem is that the game design is unimaginative; navigate a series of platforms in order to fight enemies in an arena. This got tedious a bout half way through and unbearable towards the end.

For a game that has so many secrets, it does have an annoying tendency to block paths you've just visited, removing the ability to explore. Exploration and a few more puzzles (more than a solitary one, anyway) would have broken up the monotonous gameplay.

I didn't mind Team Ninja's aesthetics, but some areas, which mixed neon colours with death metal soundtrack, were overwhelming.

All in all, it was probably worth the 8 I paid for it, but not a great action game and certainly not a great DMC game.

6/10
  • JBlokeUK 5 Aug 2013 00:57:02 2,309 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    God of War: Ascension

Enjoyed this more than I thought I would. Typically fantastic graphics and scale from Sony Santa Monica and the story wasn't too bad I thought. Loved the weapon upgrades and the single player was just the right length. Combat was as expected from a God of War game but feel like the series has probably runs its course. Haven't touched the online yet.

8/10

I like it when he's angry.

• oconnomiyaki 5 Aug 2013 02:22:33 245 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Shadow of the Colossus

Dat atmosphere! The world in this game is truly something else. The sense of scale is only enhanced by the bleakness of it all. I haven't felt this way about a world since Shadow of the Beast. Indeed, every time I saw that bridge I was reminded of this Roger Dean painting.

I'd tried to get into this on the PS2, but the framerate was so bad I just couldn't stand it. So nice to finally get to experience it.

However, my God did that camera suck? Combined with the stiff controls, it really made the game aggravating at times. The constant shaking of the colossi was bad enough, but when you chuck in a camera that spastic, there were a couple of times I was close to throwing my controller.

Still, a great experience at the end of the day, and unlike Journey at least there was some bloody gameplay to it. It was rewarding to figure out how to beat each colossus, and I never felt the need to look at a FAQ.

That last colossus, though. Damn...

8/10
  • Rodney 5 Aug 2013 05:45:12 1,838 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sleeping dogs

loved it. At first I nearly abandoned it because the vehicle handling was so poor but I'm glad I stuck with it. Once you get used to it it's actually good fun - bizarrely you have to use the hand break and nit lift off the accelerator.

The hand to hand combat was solid and very fluid and it was fun chaining together head shots in slow motion while jumping over objects with guns.

its definitely a game that is greater than the sum of its parts because many of the individual game play mechanics are a bit ropey but there's so much variety it keeps your interest.

I had a lot more fun with it than GTA IV

9/10
  • Rodney 5 Aug 2013 05:49:46 1,838 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Max Payne 3

bit of a one trick pony and far too cut scene heavy although admittedly some of the cut scenes were pretty well done. I think the storyline was good but to be honest I lost track of what was going on.

I missed the New York noire setting and comic book cut scenes from the originals.

I think it would have worked much better as a more focused and shorter shooter and dropped its dramatic pretensions.

6/10
  • imamazed 5 Aug 2013 09:27:11 5,520 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Halo 4

I wasn't expecting to like this at all. But I did. It lacked the sense of scale and awe from, say, Halo 3, but I actually enjoyed the storyline a lot more than many of the bungie iterations. There was perhaps a little too much reptition in design but it was still varied enough to keep things fresh enough. I haven't played a Halo game for ages so it felt great to be back in John's feet. It was noticely different to bungie's efforts, but not necessarily for the worse! Don't think I shall be trying the multiplayer though; Halo 3 is still perfect.

9/10
  • gelf 5 Aug 2013 11:03:47 188 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hotline Miami (PC)
    I hated it at first but once the controls clicked a few levels in I felt pretty good at it and enjoyed it a lot more. The very quick level restart pretty much removes the frustration from dying a lot and it feels great when you run through a level in a efficient way. The soundtrack is decent but didn't really set the world alight for me. I prefer Blood Dragon which I'm also playing right now for that retro 80s sound.

In the way of negatives, I hated that stealth level, the quick restarts did not alleviate the annoyance of failing those. Also although the game is pretty short I was getting tired of it towards the end and just wanted to get it over with.

8/10

Thomas was Alone
    I really liked this at the start. I was skeptical because of the minimalist look but really I don't think the game would have worked if the characters where highly detailed. The whole point was that the narrator filled in the gaps and made me care about these different coloured blocks and it succeeded in that initially. Unfortunately by the part of the game with the grey blocks I wanted it to end. I didn't think it worked well when there where too many characters in a level especially when they where all the same colour in those later levels.

Gameplay wise it is a pretty standard puzzle platformer and without the narration I would have got bored much quicker then I did but eventually I did find it tiresome.
    7/10
  • StrikeForce 5 Aug 2013 13:20:40 69 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Beyond Good & Evil HD

I think perhaps all the talk of this being a classic put a huge weight of expectation on this.

The setting of Hillys was interesting, the characters were entertaining and memorable - Jade is clearly a step above the usual portrayal of women in games.

But the gameplay is simplistic, the puzzles fairly shallow, the storyline was hardly enthralling and, even disregarding the awful inverted control problem, the camera was poor.

I can imagine I would have enjoyed it a lot more when it was originally released, but by today's standards I found it a bit disappointing.

6/10
  • sanctusmortis 5 Aug 2013 17:13:31 9,627 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Scraped through the last of TinTin's co-op collecting last night. 6/10 for the sheer silliness of every level needing at least 2 playthroughs, and the awfulness of sidecar missions.
  • Page

of 404 First / Last