Who's your favourite vocalist

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Gambit 17 Mar 2005 15:22:19 357 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just would like to know your opinions It doesnt matter if their music is shite or if their complete knobs (like bono) just who your opionon sings the bestest in the whole widest world? :-)
  • sephy 17 Mar 2005 15:24:19 4,036 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    at first though, I would have to go with either Toshi (although I havent heard anything from 97 onwards), or Hyde
  • Decoded 17 Mar 2005 15:27:11 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've always liked Robert Smith's expressive, tortured wail (which still somehow sounds tortured even when he sings something upbeat).
  • GrandTheftApu 17 Mar 2005 15:27:54 6,119 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Aaron Neville
    Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

I don't like all their stuff but both have great voices.
  • RubyRed 17 Mar 2005 15:28:13 4,303 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Does it matter if they're solo or in a band? Solo it'd be Aretha Franklin. She has an incredible voice and always sings songs as if she means them.

Band it'd have to be Brett Anderson from Suede.
  • gamingdave 17 Mar 2005 15:28:59 4,216 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Johnny Cash is a favourite, as is Tom Jones.
  • kalel 17 Mar 2005 15:29:55 86,917 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Al Green.
  • MikeD 17 Mar 2005 15:30:11 10,063 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmm, I like Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau. Though he doesn't sing anymore (past his vocal age).
  • Gambit 17 Mar 2005 15:32:09 357 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RubyRed wrote:
    Does it matter if they're solo or in a band? Solo it'd be Aretha Franklin. She has an incredible voice and always sings songs as if she means them.

Band it'd have to be Brett Anderson from Suede.
    Nope doesn't matter at all could even be the fella who passes by your window, singing on a friday night, on his way home drunk from the local :-)
  • pjmaybe 17 Mar 2005 15:35:05 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Roy Orbison.

Don't like his music particularly but he's got a bloody cracking voice...

Peej
  • ssuellid 17 Mar 2005 15:35:46 19,141 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Martina Topley Bird. Gorgeous.

For vocals alone some of the female operatic stuff is very good. I have a copy of Greigs Peer Gynt that has some beautiful singing on it - no idea of who is singing tho.

Tatu's album had some unbeleivably good singing on it.
  • Gambit 17 Mar 2005 15:36:33 357 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    tengu wrote:
    Leave Bono alone!
    Bono is a prat IMO. He's the type of person that you just wanna smack up the side of the head his only redeeming quality is that he was on The Simpsons.
  • bunglebonce 17 Mar 2005 15:37:12 2,121 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Stuart Staples from Tindersticks, has that seedy club voice thing going at times, but really has some soul. He sounds like he's going to keel over and die with every line he sings.

Great orchestral band at times, who never quite manage it over an album. I've been looking for their Live At Bloomsbury album for a while though.

PSN ID: erniewhatbert

• Load_2.0 17 Mar 2005 15:38:09 19,135 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mike Patton.
  • ssuellid 17 Mar 2005 15:39:34 19,141 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Male vocalist has to be Mark E Smith.

Really hate fake sneering or quick inward breaths - the quick inward breaths is what puts me off Muse.
  • UncleLou Moderator 17 Mar 2005 15:41:23 35,506 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MikeD wrote:
    Hmm, I like Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau. Though he doesn't sing anymore (past his vocal age).

Har, I just wanted to give this as a "smug" answer, now you beat me to it. :D

I always liked the voice of Lou Reed a lot (of course I don't think he's a great singer).
  • eviltobz  17 Mar 2005 15:41:26 2,609 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    not an easy question to nail down that. if we mean from a frontman perspective then it's easily dave lee roth. if we mean from a who-sung-your-fave-song perspective then maybe sammy hagar. from a technical, sounding-nice-and-having-good-range perspective then maybe gary cherone or freddie mercury. hmmm, 4 singers listed, 3 van halen singers listed :) or from an everyman, see-how-that-could-be-me perspective then someone like eric clapton or mark knopfler. or the fun-bouncy-feelgood-rocker perspective of andrew wk.

then there's the whole blissful female vocal thingies to look at introducing such categories of fave-singer-songwriter-type with peoples like michelle branch, or feisty-pop-rock-strumpet with your avrils and hilary duffs, or the amazing-vocalist-in-a-tarty-package of someone like christina aguilera, not to forget the breathy-come-hither-and-bork-me-ragged vocals of stuff like the chick on robert miles' one and one or dj sammy's heaven cover. finally of course we have the raunchy-sexbomb-with-phenominal-vocal-ability category as filled by the delicious amy lee.

so, lots of potentialists there then. but if we are going to restrict it to say the person who's stuff i'd choose if that was all the music i ever got to listen to again, then i'll go with the sammy hagar option although that's very heavily inspired by eddie van halen's guitar work.
  • Decoded 17 Mar 2005 15:42:04 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    bunglebonce wrote:
    Stuart Staples from Tindersticks, has that seedy club voice thing going at times, but really has some soul. He sounds like he's going to keel over and die with every line he sings.

Heh, I remember listening to one of their albums and thinking "whatthefuckisthat?!" when the first low rumblings of vocal emerged. Wasn't sure if I liked it or not.

Carl McCoy of Fields of the Nephilim is another favourite. Both his clean and growled vocals have a certain power and conviction behind them.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2005 15:43:54
    Ben Ottewell from Gomez.

Best.Singing.Voice.Ever.

It sounds like he smokes 100 Marlboroughs a day and downs 5 bottle of Jack Daniels.
  • RubyRed 17 Mar 2005 15:44:39 4,303 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ssuellid wrote:

Really hate fake sneering or quick inward breaths - the quick inward breaths is what puts me off Muse.
    The little twat from Muse makes me want to kick his head in when I hear him sing. I'm sure he's trying to out-do Thom Yorke with that howling crap.
  • bunglebonce 17 Mar 2005 15:45:51 2,121 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I forgot about Ben. One of the best gigs I've ever been to was Gomez at Glasgow '99. I came out of there with a voice as gravelly as his, it was great.

PSN ID: erniewhatbert

• Gambit 17 Mar 2005 15:46:00 357 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    tengu wrote:
    Gambit wrote:
    tengu wrote:
    Leave Bono alone!
    Bono is a prat IMO. He's the type of person that you just wanna smack up the side of the head his only redeeming quality is that he was on The Simpsons.

AND that he's Irish!
    Your right sorry thats two redeeming qualities and I suppose it was pretty cool if not OTT of him and the reast to give Gaybo the Harley........but still can't stand him hes just one of those people that burrow under your skin and start laying eggs :-)
  • ChrisOTR 17 Mar 2005 15:47:39 798 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Simon/Garfunkel (together, not alone)...

And Ian Brown (not in tune, generally, but still amazing)
  • kalel 17 Mar 2005 15:48:21 86,917 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RubyRed wrote:
    ssuellid wrote:

The little twat from Muse makes me want to kick his head in when I hear him sing. I'm sure he's trying to out-do Thom Yorke with that howling crap.

I crewed for a Muse gig whn I was Uni. It's not my type of music at all, and I fully inteded to sit at the back with my walkman on as per usual, but I have to say he was bloody impressive live. Really. I was gobsmacked.

Now the Muse albums stand all on their own amongst all my hip hop albums.
  • Mr_Sleep 17 Mar 2005 15:48:49 16,930 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So many to chose from, good choice on Al Green Tengu, I'd probably chose that if you hadn't already. I was going to chose Nina Simone but on revision I'd say Beth Gibbons.

You are a factory of sadness.

• pjmaybe 17 Mar 2005 15:50:45 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mr Sleep wrote:
    Beth Gibbons.

F'kin good call right there. Her voice, christ - utterly amazing.

Oh and Alison Goldfrapp. NOT just because I'd like to pork her (felt Mountain Era obviously) either.

/dodges incoming Rubes/Spanky barrage

Peej
  • kalel 17 Mar 2005 15:51:01 86,917 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mr Sleep wrote:
    So many to chose from, good choice on Al Green Tengu, I'd probably chose that if you hadn't already. I was going to chose Nina Simone but on revision I'd say Beth Gibbons.

/whispers

That was me, not tengu.. :)
  • Gambit 17 Mar 2005 15:52:00 357 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mine would be Eddie vedder or Louie Armstrong
  • ssuellid 17 Mar 2005 15:54:09 19,141 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Beth Gibbons is quite good.

Some of the guest vocalists that Massive Attack have are very good.

Some of the woman that Basement Jaxx guested have are exceptionally good.
  • Precision-Auto 17 Mar 2005 15:56:18 345 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was thinking about this the other day actually, I came to the conculsion it was Bryan Ferry. Love his voice on Tokyo Joe.

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous