The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth Page 26

• Page

of 33 First / Last

• Deleted user 19 March 2017 12:00:52
    Duffking wrote:
    I like to get the D6 unlocked ASAP then work on the post its.
    Could you translate that for me mate. I'm sure I'll be upto speed sure enough but I'm very much the Isaac noob still.
  • Duffking 19 Mar 2017 12:08:59 14,617 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So most characters have a active item or something that makes them a bit less vanilla. Isaac has one too but it has to be unlocked. The D6 is an active item which when you use it re-rolls pedastal items into a different one from the same pool. So if you see an item in an item room you don't like, you can use the D6 to swap it into something else. Still don't like it? Find a battery, clear some rooms, come back and roll again.

The steps iirc are:

1. Beat Mom's heart 10 times to unlock ???
    2. Beat Mom's heart an 11th time to ensure the cathedral is permanently open
    3. Go to the Cathedral and beat the boss while playing as ???
  • Deleted user 19 March 2017 12:14:50
    Cheers dude. Is that something you discovered whilst playing or googled it as i would never have a clue how to get some of these unlocks.
  • Duffking 19 Mar 2017 13:02:48 14,617 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think in the original Isaac I just got it by chance, you generally just keep beating Mom's Heart because you'd notice each time you did it something new would unlock. At some point you'd play with other characters and hey presto, you've unlocked it.

On Rebirth on PC I just made a straight line for it.
  • INSOMANiAC 19 Mar 2017 13:25:18 4,453 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago

First time ive ever had Isaac this size
  • Duffking 19 Mar 2017 13:26:34 14,617 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I played rebirth on 3ds and PC for a combined total of at least 120 hours and never, ever got Sacred Heart in any run.

Got it last night on like my 6th run of the Switch version. Shit's powerful, yo. I was getting worried as it was Depths I and I hadn't had any damage upgrades yet.
  • Deleted user 19 March 2017 13:29:00
    That extra hud info. Is that a setting?

Edited by addyb at 13:29:12 19-03-2017
  • Deleted user 19 March 2017 13:31:28
    @Duffking

Cheers. I'll just keep playing and see what happens :)
  • Duffking 19 Mar 2017 13:34:44 14,617 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @addyb yeah it's in the options, look for "found HUD". Lets you see exact stat values and helps you see exactly what items you pick up do. And shows the chance of devil/angel rooms so you can see what affects it.
  • Deleted user 19 March 2017 13:51:04
    @Duffking

Handy to know cheers :)
  • Deleted user 19 March 2017 16:05:24
    Totally forgot this game was done by Edmund Mcmillen of Team Meat. Please tell me meatboy is an unlock in this. Love me some meatboy :)
  • INSOMANiAC 19 Mar 2017 16:58:02 4,453 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @addyb he's not but there's something close
  • Rivuzu 19 Mar 2017 17:00:19 16,249 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Does Play Asia take a while with USD codes? Wanted to grab BoI and it's been a bout half an hour
  • Deleted user 19 March 2017 17:04:14
    @Rivuzu

Never used them. I know from pcgamesupply it takes just a few mins.
  • Rivuzu 19 Mar 2017 17:09:18 16,249 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shame that's a completely different supplier than the one i was specifically asking about.
  • Deleted user 19 March 2017 17:12:52
    Offgamers are pretty much instant as well. Let me think of some others that aren't PlayAsia.
  • Duffking 19 Mar 2017 17:29:13 14,617 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Rivuzu I bought 2 off them, first one was instant, second took a few minutes. Wait it out I guess. If you look in your order history it should say security check or something, as long as it says that it'll show up eventually.
  • INSOMANiAC 19 Mar 2017 19:00:42 4,453 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Rivuzu My Playasia code was instant although I had to verify my email
  • yegon 19 Mar 2017 21:23:00 6,057 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Experienced some CHRONIC slowdown earlier (Switch).

Switch docked, had the item where every time you enter a room there's a poison mist (forget the name). It was single digit frame rates a a few times, most notably in a room full of Vis until the mist dropped.

Tried it in handheld mode, slowdown not nearly as bad but still there.

Should have noted down the seed, good run otherwise, beat Satan for the first time in this version, unlocked Samson, Cain and bunged about 50 pennies into the donation machine :-)

Clocked hundreds of hours into the game already, amazing I still enjoy it so much. That it's a perfect podcast game probably helps.

Edited by yegon at 21:41:54 19-03-2017
  • INSOMANiAC 19 Mar 2017 23:40:56 4,453 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    Experienced some CHRONIC slowdown earlier (Switch).

Switch docked, had the item where every time you enter a room there's a poison mist (forget the name). It was single digit frame rates a a few times, most notably in a room full of Vis until the mist dropped.

Tried it in handheld mode, slowdown not nearly as bad but still there.

Should have noted down the seed, good run otherwise, beat Satan for the first time in this version, unlocked Samson, Cain and bunged about 50 pennies into the donation machine :-)

Clocked hundreds of hours into the game already, amazing I still enjoy it so much. That it's a perfect podcast game probably helps.
    Ive yet to have any slowdown whatsoever on the switch, but I've not really had any crazy runs, I've got a lot of versions of this game (all of them I think) but I think this may be the best version,if only for the fact you can have it as a handheld AND console version in one. I did love it on vits but sadly it never got the updates. The sound seems a bit shitty though, especially the voices
  • Duffking 20 Mar 2017 00:15:27 14,617 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I slowed it to an absolute crawl when I had Tech X and the Wiz and No.2 plus a few other things on an earlier run. Especially in the boss rush. Made things easier, in a few places actually.
  • GarlVinland 20 Mar 2017 15:16:46 1,969 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wow.

So the missus and I lost the entire weekend to this cooping on Switch. Zelda was sitting right there and never got a look in. It's a really spectacular game.

I've logged maybe 10hrs so far, but I'm wondering​ if the depth of the game is a hindrance, or I'm still too early on to see clearly. I was looking at the number of items you can acquire and it's...intimidating. Half of them didn't even seem to have useful descriptions.

The furthest I got was when I got a lucky combination of items, other times I got complete crap and it seemed insurmountable. The times when I did see an item that looked good, there weren't enough coins to buy it. Also, I got to 54 coins at level 2, got no more until I died on level 4, and the chance to unlock Cain passed me by. Dammit.

Is each run always at the mercy of RNG or are there​ ways to keep the monster item pool manageable?
  • Duffking 20 Mar 2017 15:31:56 14,617 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As far as beating the depths goes you can do it with more or less anything once you've practiced. Past that point you need to hope for some good items. But in time you'll work out some ways of guaranteeing that to some extent.

I wouldn't worry about the shops, either you have stuff for them or your don't. Your main source of stuff is item rooms and bosses. Plus devil rooms.

That said if you learn how to spot secret rooms that'll help on money usually.

You'll learn a lot of the items in time and practice. But turning on the found hud will help immediacy work out some of them.

If you watch some northernlion YouTube videos you'll see how he's able to get a long way into every run irrespective of rng.

Edited by Duffking at 15:32:54 20-03-2017
  • L0cky 20 Mar 2017 17:05:33 1,984 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's more like a robust rogue like in that you're rewarded for learning. Every death is a lesson - in the short term about particular enemies, in the long term about strategies (yeah giving those two hearts in the devil room was/wasn't worth it).

On top is the RNG which keeps the game constantly fresh. The way the hundreds of items can combine is amazing; but it rarely detracts from the above.

I'd say beat every big boss at least 5 times; stay off the wikis unless you still don't know what to do, or until you only have the details left.

Also, never ever quit a run just because you think you have bad items.

Pretty soon you'll rank it in your top 10 games.
  • Rivuzu 20 Mar 2017 17:13:36 16,249 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So I'm new to BoI (I know right? What a cunt) and only playing it because I've heard it's fantastic, plus Switch.

Well, it's fantastic. But I have no idea what I should be aiming for with items. I'm just grabbing everything I can because of the lols. Is there a grander strategy I should be looking at?
  • Duffking 20 Mar 2017 17:14:36 14,617 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Other stuff to look out for is tinted/marked rocks. They're easy to spot on the first 2 floors and a little harder thereafter, but they'll drop all kinds of useful stuff if you drop a bomb by them. Hearts, soul hearts, occasionally items...

Also you don't need to go in every room, do every thing. Sacrifice rooms for example I rarely use, arenas I only use occasionally. If I've found the shop, boss and item room on a floor I'll often just do the boss and move on unless I've got a lot of health and am really powerful, etc etc. No need to risk your health if it's unlikely you're going to find anything.
  • Duffking 20 Mar 2017 17:19:19 14,617 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Rivuzu initially you want to just take everything to get a feel for what stuff does. There are a few items that are absolute gash and are best left on the pedestal most of the time like fucking soy milk or cursed eye, but in general you just want to pick stuff up and make the best of what you find.

There are strategies you can use to game the system, but they're pretty in depth endgame stuff which rely on late game unlocks.

For most characters, you just want to get as far as you can with what you find, there are some unlockable items that let you reroll/duplicate stuff but you'll find those in due time.

So early on just focus on getting good at recognising enemies/bosses and doging their attacks, working out what common items do, then on top of that try and learn:

- What causes devil/angel rooms to appear
    - How to find secret rooms
    - Spotting tinted rocks
    - When to use and when not to use sacrifice rooms and the like
    - When to save your keys
    - How the pills and cards work

Some of the challenges might be worth doing as well because challenges don't have item rooms so they force you to learn how to deal with odd item combinations.

Edited by Duffking at 17:19:36 20-03-2017
  • Deleted user 20 March 2017 17:19:48
    Game is amazing. Not touched Zelda since. I've completed 1 run and last night did the computer savvy challenge which was pretty cool.
  • Duffking 20 Mar 2017 17:20:38 14,617 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You should give Waka Waka a go, it's tough but you get a great item from it that you'll see fairly often because it's in the devil room item pool.
  • Deleted user 20 March 2017 18:33:54
    I'll take a look later.
  • Page

of 33 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.