The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth Page 2

• Page

of 33 First / Last

• wobbly_Bob 6 Nov 2014 16:36:59 3,991 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I played this for around an hour and a half trying and failing to see why it's so well regarded but I can't see it. I normally love rouge likes. Different tastes and all but personally it's shit.
  • Rhaegyr 6 Nov 2014 16:39:58 3,812 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The first few hours I played the original I disliked it - thought it was simple, cheap and just not fun to play. Stuck with it and it's probably my favourite rogue-like along with FTL - the depth is insane.

Oh, play it with a pad too.
  • Scimarad 6 Nov 2014 18:06:50 9,205 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Wasn't expecting to like this at all but I really enjoyed my brief go. The music helped:)
  • Deleted user 6 November 2014 18:19:39
    What's the main aim. Just get as Far as you can before you die? Downloaded it on plus last night buy not had a proper look yet.
  • waggy79 6 Nov 2014 18:37:30 1,778 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shame I can't sync saves yet, wanted to continue my ps4 save on Vita later but only get errors.
  • Gojiratron 6 Nov 2014 18:45:01 227 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A word of warning if you intend on using cross-play.

I played on Vita and managed to beat mom after 11 or so goes. I decide to sync it thinking it would upload the save. Nope. Downloaded the online save and it put me back to 2 deaths. :/

Now I often turn off wifi when playing as if you lose the connection that dammed popup appears without the game pausing behind it. Spelunky runs have been ruined by this. I'm guessing it auto-uploaded when the wifi was still on.

Well later I boot up the PS4 version for the first time and sync it. All's good there. Manage to beat mom then mom's heart in the next run. So tonight I get the Vita and sync it but it isn't including the last game I played on PS4. I've tried starting the PS4 version up again, backing up the save and syncing it but now it's giving "unknown error." I played another game on the PS4 hoping it might compel it to upload but nope. Still "unknown error" on PS4 and the Vita. Backed up then deleted the Vita save and synced it again and it did re-download the file putting me back to square one.

So in short "sync" seems to just download whatever has been uploaded. What actually compels the game to upload the save file though is a mystery to me.

If it was just stats it wouldn't bother me, but considering the way the game continually unlocks stuff as you play this is irritating. I'll just stick with the Vita version for now. :/

EDIT:

So I went to play it and saw "Continue" was available and it started me at Utero 1. Fairly straightforward to finish the run off from there and get back to where I was expecting to be, so less lost progress than I thought. :) Still odd it would have an uploaded save from midway through a game, even though I played another game and spent another 20 or so minutes playing until I died and this didn't encourage it to update the save. Certainly I'm not going to rely on cross-saving until I know more about what's going on.

Edited by Gojiratron at 19:19:32 06-11-2014
  • martlev 6 Nov 2014 18:45:07 19 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Malek86 Only 170 ? try 1392 hours. I am loving Rebirth but think some of the balance changes are making it easier to become a killing machine. (I have lost track of the times I get Left Hand and Guppys Tail, making it easier to become Guppy)
  • Malek86 6 Nov 2014 20:09:59 5,888 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @martlev well, I greatly diminished my play rate once I got the Platinum God achievement, after about 140 hours. But keep in mind I rarely get past 50 hours in games, abs I don't usually like stuff that requires high time investments (like Disgaea), so that's still quite the accomplishment. For comparison, I "only" played Skyrim for 80 hours.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the game will get patched a lot for balancing, like the original was.

Edited by Malek86 at 20:12:21 06-11-2014
  • DrStrangelove 6 Nov 2014 21:03:51 10,857 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    addyb wrote:
    What's the main aim. Just get as Far as you can before you die?
    Beat it. Unlock stuff. Power up a lot. Beat it with different characters. With different last stage. Beat challenges. Unlock an insane lot of stuff. Play again and again to have fun.
  • DrStrangelove 6 Nov 2014 21:05:39 10,857 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    While we're at this "what's the fuss" thing, I guess everyone can tell a story or two about that. I for example think Hotline Miami, Blood Dragon and Demon's Souls are crap. So I guess I'm not in the position to tell anyone to love Isaac.
  • Duffking 6 Nov 2014 22:24:03 14,604 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just got my first Mom kill. Looked pretty gnarly by the end!

Monstro's Lung is pretty great - you have to charge up to shoot but it shoots about 20 shots at once.

Also Dark Bum is amazingly OP. He drops a Soul Heart for like, every single half heart he collects.

Edited by Duffking at 22:24:52 06-11-2014
  • Malek86 6 Nov 2014 22:33:28 5,888 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How's the new soundtrack? The samples I've listened to didn't sound very exciting. Especially compared to the original, which has one of my favorite OSTs ever.

Edited by Malek86 at 22:34:00 06-11-2014
  • IronGiant 6 Nov 2014 22:45:16 5,568 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Liked the music but not keen on the game.
  • DrStrangelove 7 Nov 2014 01:38:23 10,857 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    How's the new soundtrack? The samples I've listened to didn't sound very exciting. Especially compared to the original, which has one of my favorite OSTs ever.
    If you want it to be like the original, you'll be disappointed. It's a different style, rather minimalistic VGM. I think it's nice and fits, but not everyone may like it.
  • Moot_Point 7 Nov 2014 01:49:57 5,530 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    No-one tried the seed I posted? :(
  • SomaticSense 7 Nov 2014 10:44:52 15,041 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    SomaticSense wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    @ChiefGB

It's an indie darling, there's the fuss.

good job I got it for free on PS+... absolute rubbish.
    So, are those that like it kidding themselves? Do we need to wake up and play some 'proper' games? Because that seems to be what you're implying.

You don't 'get' these kinds of small games. Fine, everyone has different tastes. But you don't have be so dickishly dissmissive about those that do and the devs that make them.
    Yeah that was a bit of a cuntish post on my part, one of those days and belly rumbling before lunch too.

Sorry :|
    Np :)

For the record, I absolutely hated Braid, so I get where the frustration comes from.
  • Gojiratron 7 Nov 2014 11:06:48 227 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    Yeah, gave it a go. What a load of shit. ;)
  • Moot_Point 7 Nov 2014 11:16:23 5,530 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gojiratron wrote:
    Moot_Point wrote:
    Yeah, gave it a go. What a load of shit. ;)
    Shit is OP! :D
  • SomaticSense 7 Nov 2014 11:48:43 15,041 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Gojiratron It seems different devs see the 'sync' option in different ways. Some see it as 'upload', others see it as 'download'.

Rogue Legacy is still best at utilising it, yet I can't get my completed Hotline Miami PS3 save onto my Vita or PS4 versions for shit.

Sony needs to send a memo to every dev giving them one unified way of implementing it, preferably the RL method.
  • Moot_Point 7 Nov 2014 11:51:10 5,530 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @SomaticSense Yeah, was very impressed with that feature on RL. But it's not standard on all games? Shame.
  • Rhaegyr 7 Nov 2014 13:39:09 3,812 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    They changed the soundtrack?

:|
  • DrStrangelove 7 Nov 2014 13:44:35 10,857 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    What is a seed?

edit: yes I know what a seed is, but what is it in BoI?

Edited by drip at 13:45:26 07-11-2014
  • aros 7 Nov 2014 13:55:42 4,260 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Beaten by Caves 2 boss when he had ONE hits worth of life remaining. Came close to throwing my Vita. Definitely going to be playing this game for a long time to come!
  • DrStrangelove 7 Nov 2014 13:57:18 10,857 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @aros

At least as long as your Vita is still in one piece
  • DrStrangelove 7 Nov 2014 14:06:16 10,857 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What I dislike a lot is the super challenge room change. In WotL, you risked going into a two-boss room with only one heart because you wanted to have that item. I always risked it. Now usually there's just an ordinary chest in there, your reward often being just a bomb or a few coins or something, and now I increasingly don't bother. McMillen once said about the agme that he loved risk-reward systems. I like them too, but I don't like risk-without-reward systems.
  • Malek86 7 Nov 2014 14:08:06 5,888 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I always risked super-challenge rooms, simply because after so many hours, bosses like Monstro or Larry and the chubby worm had become too mechanically simple to beat. Maybe they should have had more variety to them, then I might have not wanted to risk it.
  • aros 7 Nov 2014 14:08:18 4,260 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Even after 2 hours or so playing this on Vita I'm still really impressed how smooth it is. The time taken for this to cook was definitely worth it.

I haven't noticed any unlocks though - is that like getting a new item for the first time or?
  • Razz 7 Nov 2014 14:09:54 63,199 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You need to make donations
  • aros 7 Nov 2014 14:09:58 4,260 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What is the donation machine for in the shop? I am guessing it's to save coins for later, I've been putting all mine in but can't seem to find a way to get them back out? I have only donated 7 or 8 though.

Edited by aros at 14:10:23 07-11-2014
  • Razz 7 Nov 2014 14:11:59 63,199 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Donations unlock new items
  • Page

of 33 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.