• simpleexplodingmaybe 22 May 2017 11:03:07 4,242 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Seriously though, no filler quests and a proper ending this time plz
  • Ror 22 May 2017 11:45:44 16,260 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    \o/

Wonder when we'll hear about it. BioWare typically doesn't like to market more than one game at a time, and Dylan is their next thing. Something tells me it's a fair way away.
  • GoodForm 22 May 2017 12:48:26 1,722 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Recently picked up the GotY edition to catch up with all the included DLC. First tried to start a new game, but I dreaded all the filler too much to be excited for the prospect of it, and dropped it. I just can't help myself, I'd end up doing lots of filler, even if I set out with the intention not to.

Then I tried getting into the DLC from my clear state savefile. I just didn't care about any of it. Three years after the fact, I simply didn't have enough of a connection to anyone or anything, and I didn't care for anything in Inquisition all too much to begin with.

I think I might well be over Bioware's schtick at this point. The talky bits are no longer the impressive showcase they once were. The gameplay is neither fish nor fowl. Not tactical enough to make the whole group-angle worthwhile. Bioware does action quite well these days, but it's a far cry from great action RPG combat as seen in the Soulsborne games or Dragon's Dogma.

For now, Bioware is off my day 1 purchases list. After three somewhat disappointing games, that should not come as a surprise to anyone. The question remains though. What do I actually want from Bioware? Not more of the same, for starters.

Edited by GoodForm at 12:55:00 22-05-2017
  • ubergine 22 May 2017 15:46:11 7,431 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I enjoyed the first playthrough and took a fair stab at a second run for the content I skipped, but it really isn't a game that can inspire two playthroughs, especially with what's come out since then.
  • Mr_Sleep 22 May 2017 16:17:50 21,263 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I managed two and I don't even like it very much. Probably says more about me than the game.
  • Skirlasvoud 22 May 2017 17:34:42 2,799 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DanB24 wrote:
    Exciting!
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-05-19-writing-the-next-dragon-age
    My interest is peaked.

The Sunless Sea guys wrote Inquisition's "Last Court" spin off and I genuinely thought their little text-based adventure/management jaunt was better written and more interesting than the whole of Inquisition. Interesting new take on the Materials too. You could tell they were outsiders having their own perspective on the source material and it was less clichéd and predictable for it.
  • RelaxedMikki 22 May 2017 17:44:13 2,149 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I am on my third stint on Inquisition now. Still not got as far as the dlc.

About 40 hours in, having owned the game for a couple of years now.

I do enjoy it in chunks. And one day I will get it completed...

Having played a bunch of (really great) Japanese games this year, it is actually quite pleasant to be back on a game where the combat is slow-paced and the talky bits are short...
  • MrFlay 5 Oct 2017 00:20:45 3,496 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I finally finished this earlier today. The main game and all the DLC.
    Trespasser was a boring slog just like the rest of the game. Small snippets of mildly interesting story with lots of boring combat and huge empty areas.

I enjoyed it somewhat while playing but I'm profoundly sick of games where if you remove the story, you have shit, boring gameplay. You could stick to the main quest and do the companion quests and there's virtually nothing else worthwhile in the whole game. The first two DLCs are pointless, uninteresting bloat.

Serious question, are Bioware any good at making games?

Edited by MrFlay at 00:23:16 05-10-2017
  • Mola_Ram 5 Oct 2017 00:37:00 16,147 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think they used to be. The first 2 Mass Effects (give or take 1) were great, as was the first Dragon Age.

I'm not sure what's gone wrong. Is EA somehow to blame?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 5 Oct 2017 00:45:29 4,242 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Whoever it is in gaming (gamers and industry) who thinks time spent = value for money

DA:I could have been a killer 30+ hours based around the main and companion quests instead of nearly 90 hours of mostly empty filler because "content"
  • RelaxedMikki 5 Oct 2017 00:50:15 2,149 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yup. Mass Effect was ace.

But it was 50% filler and 50% race towards intense climax. That's a good ratio. Too many games now are more like 95% filler, 5% climax...
  • MrFlay 5 Oct 2017 00:51:43 3,496 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They spent so much time on those massive areas and many have only a handful of filler quests. It's like they made the areas but didn't have time to fill them with meaningful activities. It seems like bad project management as much as anything. Just like with Andromeda.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 5 Oct 2017 01:14:28 4,242 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    And fall all their size they were so bland and empty. There were no moments like Skyrim had where you could discover a magic view or a cool hidden location. There was nothing worth exploring for reasons beyond finding another 10 pointless things for no reward.
  • RelaxedMikki 5 Oct 2017 01:23:43 2,149 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There are good things about DA:I though.

The mantra like repetition of the gameplay can be quite meditative. It's a relaxing play.

And Iron Bull is GOAT romance option.
  • Ror 5 Oct 2017 03:19:00 16,260 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They were empty at least partially because they were hamstrung by last-gen consoles. They showed some interesting stuff in a PAX panel, I think it was - you had to push an enemy faction out of Crestwood, and could do things like setting their fleet ablaze to stop them escaping.

They couldn't make it work on PS3/360, so we got fetch quests instead.

That's not to say they couldn't have done something more interesting than fetch quests, but iirc the implication was that they ran out of time trying to get the new systems working on the last-gen machines and just had to fill those huge zones with something.

I still loved the game anyway, but I just adore the setting.
  • ubergine 5 Oct 2017 04:25:43 7,431 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They felt empty because there was not enough compelling written content and inadequately-developed gameplay loops to fill them.

You can easily never set foot in 65% of the zones and it has no impact on the outcome. It's odd because at first the game seems like it's going to have you free / recruit from different zones but it just makes zero difference after the most basic effort.
  • Dombat 5 Oct 2017 06:26:50 1,137 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Whoever it is in gaming (gamers and industry) who thinks time spent = value for money

DA:I could have been a killer 30+ hours based around the main and companion quests instead of nearly 90 hours of mostly empty filler because "content"
    This.

I think gamers take a large portion of the blame. There's a vocal contingent on the internet that seem to value a game almost entirely on how many hours it takes to complete and unfortunately the sales seem to back it up (although there can be other contributing factors like marketing, brand awareness and reputation of the IP/dev studio etc as it's inherently a AAA problem).

I think we're increasingly seeing a critical and public backlash to this sort of game design though.
  • Mola_Ram 5 Oct 2017 06:31:04 16,147 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    But you can have massive worlds and amounts of content while making most of it meaningful or interesting. I know that I go on about The Witcher 3 too much, but it really is great in that regard.
  • Dombat 5 Oct 2017 06:39:44 1,137 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Full disclosure, I haven't completed DAI and I'm not even that far in. I've cleared much of the Hinterlands filler and I know it's time for me to move on. The problem is, I don't care. The game's pacing is so off that I've lost touch with the main story, which I didn't find that engaging to begin with.

I knew what I was getting in to before I started playing as I got the game cheap. I won't trade it in because it's essentially binge gaming I can switch off to, which has its place, and maybe the story will suck me in more. Thing is, I know it's mostly more of the same ahead. It wouldn't be such a problem if the combat at least was good, but I find it passive and shallow for an RPG.
  • technotica 5 Oct 2017 07:24:26 557 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There are great cinematic moments and (in my opinion) really touching events later in the game. If you ignore the mmo aspects it's a well told story.
  • DanB24 5 Oct 2017 10:40:16 5,346 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Imo it's one of the best rpgs I've ever played. I never any problems whatsoever with any fetch quests or whatever. Brilliant game. Especially the Trespasser DLC.

A terrible shame some of you just didn't get it or into it. I loved every minute of the 90 plus hours I put into it. I say no to a rushed brain dead action drivel game that lasts only 5 minutes relatively.
    DA4 more of the same please.
  • Stranded87 5 Oct 2017 12:38:46 1,629 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @DanB24 I don't think there's much chance anyone didn't get it. The game is filled with filler. Fortunately most if can be ignored, so I still enjoyed the game quite a lot.

I certainly don't want a 'brain dead action' game for the next one, quite the opposite (DA:I is already 'dumbed down' compared to a lot of Bioware's earlier, better stuff) But it could have been a lot tighter (like the original) or still jam packed full of stuff without resorting to filler (like Divinity OS 2 or to some extent The Witcher 3).

The writing could have used some work too for such a story-heavy game.
  • DanB24 5 Oct 2017 13:14:53 5,346 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Stranded87 fair enough but some of the story does have more weight and meaning in places if you've played the other games and read the tie in novels too.
    And as was mentioned further up it probably was a cross gen thing that meant some of the areas were more empty than they should have been.
    Onwards and upwards to Dragon Age 4!
  • Ror 5 Oct 2017 13:32:22 16,260 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The issue, such as it was, with Inquisition's story is that you kind of have to care about the world as a whole to get the most out of it. As Dan says above, there are a fair few tie-ins to novels, etc (most people won't know who Fiona is for instance, so there's a scene in Castle Redcliffe that would have added weight for someone that's read them).

That's before we even get to the fact that its story takes off from the last bit of DA2 DLC, so if you didn't play that, you'd have no idea who Corypheus even is when he first turns up. He must seem to just appear from nothing for those that haven't played Legacy.

There's a balancing act, I think, to making something that satisfies both those that absorb the extended universe stuff and those that don't, but the story does also go into far more detail than anything else about the two biggest mysteries the series has - the beginnings of the Darkspawn and the history of the elves. If you care about the world, even just as seen in the games, that stuff should be of interest to you.

It probably also doesn't help that each game switches both protagonist and location each time. For me, this puts at least as much emphasis on the world as it does the people that inhabit it, but others might prefer to focus on a core cast, and feel this makes the games and their individual stories somewhat disjointed..?

I don't know. I'm sure I had some points in there that got jumbled as I spent too long waffling :)

EDIT Also, I do realise that most people's complaints are about the gameplay rather than the storytelling, though! I think I just read Dan's post and went off on a massive tangent.

Edited by Ror at 13:48:06 05-10-2017
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 6 Oct 2017 01:49:03 4,242 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    If I wasn't so tired I'd launch into my semi-regular DA2 is the best (or at least most interesting) one and could have been the masterpiece this series had lacked
  • Stranded87 6 Oct 2017 09:00:10 1,629 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DanB24 wrote:
    @Stranded87 fair enough but some of the story does have more weight and meaning in places if you've played the other games and read the tie in novels too.
    And as was mentioned further up it probably was a cross gen thing that meant some of the areas were more empty than they should have been.
    Onwards and upwards to Dragon Age 4!
    I played the other games and most of the DLC. I didn't read the novels, so I'm sure I did miss some stuff/have things go over my head. My writing complaints are as much about characters and moment to moment dialogue as the overarching story though. It's still above average by game standards but well below the best out there imo and well below where I'd like to see it for such a story/dialogue heavy game.
  • MrFlay 6 Oct 2017 10:36:11 3,496 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They have two choices. They can make it a proper action game with Souls-esque combat or they can focus on the story and cut out the filler content which isn't fun simply because the basic gameplay is just dreadful. The Witcher 3 is the same actually but the story is better and there's much less filler content. The basic combat is still fairly shit though.

Edited by MrFlay at 10:36:38 06-10-2017
  • DanB24 6 Oct 2017 18:09:51 5,346 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Story ftw.

"Enchantment!"
  • Ror 6 Oct 2017 18:40:05 16,260 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    If I wasn't so tired I'd launch into my semi-regular DA2 is the best (or at least most interesting) one and could have been the masterpiece this series had lacked
    I can certainly get behind 'most interesting'. It's a frustrating game because it has a lot of interesting ideas, but the execution isn't quite there.

DanB24 wrote:
    Story ftw.

"Enchantment!"
  • Page

of 138 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.