Razz's fool proof Xbox softmod guide Page 20

• Page

of 20 First / Last

Next
  • figgis 4 Apr 2011 15:49:08 7,376 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Think so, the Xbox hard drive has some security file on it that only works with that specific mother board, hence why changing the drives used to be such ball ache (They've actually made it much easier these days).

Changing hard drive
  • Retroid Moderator 4 Apr 2011 15:52:31 44,732 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I know with the swapping, I did that myself.

Ack.

Obviously, with XBL not being a concern I don't have to bother with the whole "has to be recognisable from the clean BIOS" stuff I had to before. Bah. Might just have to read up on specific chip firmwares and see what's been done since.
  • figgis 4 Apr 2011 16:25:15 7,376 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You could just buy a cheap Acer Revo and put XBMC on it.
  • Deleted user 4 April 2011 16:25:54
    Or an Apple TV2
  • AceGrace 22 Nov 2011 18:35:03 1,106 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anyone know how to reinstate the softmod?

I have a 320gb HDD in it with about 50 games installed plus emulators etc..

Today I loaded Tron 2.0 and it did an xbox live update.

Now when I boot the xbox is goes back to the MSDash not my soft modded one.

I tried reloading splinter cell and running the exploit but nothing happens.

I can rip out the hdd, plug it into the PC and restore the image backup I have of it but I would rather not do that if possible. Its a load of hassle.

Edited by AceGrace at 18:35:47 22-11-2011
  • AceGrace 28 Nov 2011 11:46:18 1,106 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ** bump ** :-)
  • mAc6 14 Mar 2012 01:32:15 683 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thank you Razz and everybody involved in this softmod forum, i was able to softmod my XBOX 2 years ago with your indeed foolproof guide. Am very happy with progressive output on component on HD tele results.

Been on EG just a month, after lurking for years. Credit were credit is due: Razz the man, thx :)
  • AceGrace 14 Mar 2012 10:56:02 1,106 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Found out how to re soft mod the xbox after an xbox live update.

There is another softmod pack (nDure I think). The 2nd splinter cell save worked for me :-)
  • danathjo 16 Feb 2013 18:24:21 7,384 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    so I found a shop today that I can get a fully molded Xbox, controllers, leads and a few thousand games for about 60-70
    for hassle free pick up and have it all done for me is this a decent enough deal?
  • mal 16 Feb 2013 18:58:42 22,534 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    As an emu/xbmc box the original xbox is pretty underpowered these days, so I'd have thought you could get something more up-to-date that doesn't need modding for those purposes.

On the other hand, if a few of those thousands of games are xbox games, then that's not something you should be asking on here, and I'd have thought the answer would be obvious.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• danathjo 16 Feb 2013 19:12:30 7,384 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    no mostly arcade and home console games before its time....wouldn't mind playing both kotors for the first time though

but while on the subject what other (more recent) consoles could you do this with? I hear n64 games can't really be done on the Xbox 1
    kind of new with all this, just got myself a snes and super overdrive to start with for now
  • mal 16 Feb 2013 20:43:47 22,534 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've only really played CPS, Neo Geo and MD games on mine, which it plays flawlessly. Apparently there are N64 and PSX emulators for it, but I'd have thought it a little underpowered for that.

The Wii's been hacked almost as completely as the xbox, and it's likely to have more up-to-date emulators. But if you can get a Wii with a pro controller for the same money I'd be surprised. The other option is a PC-based set top box thing, probably something based on a netbook chipset. But again, getting that plus a USB joypad's likely to cost you a bit more.

So for 70 quid you've not got a bad deal there, just bear in mine development on the platform has ceased (even xbmc doesn't get built natively any more for it). Worth checking if the dvd drive still works (although you can still ftp stuff on to it if that goes).

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 16 February 2013 21:05:57
    Are original xboxes more than 20-30? The softmod itself is a piece of piss as is getting games for it.
  • coastal 16 Feb 2013 22:52:14 5,383 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    there's http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• coastal 16 Feb 2013 22:52:21 5,383 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• danathjo 16 Feb 2013 22:57:54 7,384 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    not sure myself myself, just found a great little retro game store in se London and got talking with the guy in there and it sounded like a cool thing to have but as I said my super overdrive should arrive in a couple if days hopefully which will run 90% of snes games/roms on its native hardware so I'll dig a bit deeper through Google/YouTube if I want to get any deeper...will look into the Wii side of things, would love to get some n64 Roms working.

btw is this still taboo on the forum? not looking to pirate games I'd be able to buy new any more plus I'd probably mostly try to play the same games I bought as a teen anyway.
  • danathjo 23 Mar 2013 21:40:13 7,384 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finally got myself one of these loaded with coinops5 and vision installed and wow! Absolutely loving it, got my arcade/nes/ms/md/snes/neogeo/n64/ps1 and more (almost 4000 games) all running component and looking lovely

And I know i'm late to the party but this really is the ultimate gaming machine, if you haven't done it already then get one now!!
  • Page

of 20 First / Last

Next