Razz's fool proof Xbox softmod guide Page 2

• Page

of 20 First / Last

• Slippy 14 Mar 2005 19:03:05 745 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just remembered that when the chip is enabled and I boot the ol' 'box, Under the Xbox logo it says EXECUTER. Other than that it all looks the same to me. I'm guessing I have revealed what was needed?!

Edited by Slippy at 19:04:03 14-03-2005
  • MikeD 14 Mar 2005 19:06:18 10,063 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nah, that's just a bootscreen, and I think that means it is running an executer bios. (it also has that on my bootscreen)
  • Slippy 14 Mar 2005 19:12:58 745 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DAMMIT! Cheers anyway Mike D

I reckon I'd do more harm than good if I try and piss about with it. If anyone suddenly has a epiphany about how I can simply run XBMC from a CD, do tell...
  • MikeD 14 Mar 2005 19:16:36 10,063 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    bootcd

This bootcd should be foolproof. Only getting it might be tricky as it involves IRC and bittorrent.

Unless you have binary usenet services, it should eb still on there.
  • Razz 15 Mar 2005 09:30:01 60,801 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cheers Furbs. I think i used a similar program, if not the same, to make ISO's of my backed-up games so i could burn them up. oooh! Got XBMC centre working on the network last night, tres cool! And it seems to play everything and anything from anywhere! I love it! I wonder if it could pick up other xboxes on the network?? o_O

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Precision-Auto 20 Mar 2005 13:03:23 345 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I did the softmod thing, worked great, then I got an Xbox Live starter kit. So I selected uninstall UDE, set up live, played it for a bit. Now I want my emulators back on, so I go to the exploit in Splinter Cell, select the game. The MXM matrix style thing loads up, then I'm presented with the ltools menu for about half a second which then fades out (beyond my control). I think it automatically has selected run mini linux, but anyway, it goes to error 21 screen!

Can't seem to find anything on this problem anywhere. :(
  • sephy 20 Mar 2005 13:07:15 4,036 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Precision Auto wrote:
    I did the softmod thing, worked great, then I got an Xbox Live starter kit. So I selected uninstall UDE, set up live, played it for a bit. Now I want my emulators back on, so I go to the exploit in Splinter Cell, select the game. The MXM matrix style thing loads up, then I'm presented with the ltools menu for about half a second which then fades out (beyond my control). I think it automatically has selected run mini linux, but anyway, it goes to error 21 screen!

Can't seem to find anything on this problem anywhere. :(

error 21 is a dashboard error IIRC

I dont think you needed to uninstall ude - that reverses the entire process - which I assume you didn't really want. You may have to reinstall the softmod again (or reload from the backup you should have made of your xbod hd)
  • Precision-Auto 20 Mar 2005 13:09:55 345 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    thanks for your reply,

the problem is, that I have uninstalled itools, so when I go to run the savegame exploit to install it again i dont get the option of choosing anything from the menu. It just fades away like I have selected something from the menu.

It worked fine the first time I installed it, I dont know whats different now that I am installing it again.
  • Precision-Auto 20 Mar 2005 17:15:28 345 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    I'm not much help with softmods as I gave them up a while back (because I love to tweak and tinker too much without knowing what I'm doing - recipe for disaster with a softmod!).

I can only suggest you look around the forums on xbox-scene.com. The people there are really helpful if you post something if you show you've made an effort to search for the answer yourself before hand.
    Edited by Furbs at 15:22:01 20-03-2005

Yeah its a really helpful site that one, i've asked on there too but to no avail so far. At least I have got Xbox Live working, I guess if I dont get a softmod installed again it wont be the end of the world.
  • sephy 20 Mar 2005 19:46:55 4,036 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Perhaps if you delete the softmod save on your xbox, then copy it back over, then run it again
  • Precision-Auto 20 Mar 2005 20:16:42 345 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    yeah cheers sephy, been racking my brains as to what it could be too and thats the only thing I can think to do. Its so much hassle though! thanks anyway.
  • sephy 20 Mar 2005 20:40:08 4,036 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    As long as you can get ftp active at some stage, it should be easy to fix, as you can manually place the files

if reinstalling the save doesn't work, and you can get ftp running, I'll see if my customised mod will work. The only natter of concern is that I nuked the c: and e: paritions to do mine, and so it might take a little fiddling to work with yours
  • Slippy 21 Mar 2005 20:13:54 745 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hello again.

Need a definitive answer to the following.

Is it possible to do the following...

1) Softmod a new Xbox
    2) Switch it from Pal to NTSC output
    3) Completely remove any trace of the modding software whilst retaining the NTSC output
    4) Run games in Hi-Def, now NTSC is enabled, on LIVE
  • sephy 22 Mar 2005 07:17:52 4,036 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Slippy wrote:
    Hello again.

1) Softmod a new Xbox
    3) Completely remove any trace of the modding software whilst retaining the NTSC output

switching to ntsc doesnt actually rewquire installing the softmod.

I sent the details to Kristan, but I'm not sure if he plans to use it on the site
  • Ed_209uk 22 Mar 2005 12:44:20 93 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd like to find out how to switch to NTSC without a softmod so I can enable the progressive scan on my PAL xbox. Any chance you could let me know how?

Ed :)
  • Slippy 22 Mar 2005 17:57:08 745 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    sephy wrote:
    Slippy wrote:
    Hello again.

1) Softmod a new Xbox

I sent the details to Kristan, but I'm not sure if he plans to use it on the site

Dude, if you send me the info (post here or email me), and live anywhere near London, a pint or two is at your mercy :o)
  • Slippy 23 Mar 2005 13:53:23 745 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /bumps shamelessly
  • Slippy 23 Mar 2005 19:01:38 745 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    sephy wrote:
    Slippy wrote:
    Hello again.

1) Softmod a new Xbox

Hmmm..

What's going on then? Surely this kind of info can't be hinted at without a follow up?!? I REALLY wanna know how to do this :o(

C'mon Kristian! If it's not feasable to put the info on the site, maybe Sephy can offer an alternative?
  • Slippy 24 Mar 2005 13:52:36 745 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    One last go before I lose all faith in the forum and Eurogamer as a whole... well, that would be a lie. But a response, even to say its all been a lie, would suffice :o)
  • green-alien 28 Mar 2005 17:14:37 2 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    thx for the tutorial razz but got a problem.

just made myself a usb to xbox cable to use with a 128mb flash pen, the xbox formats the pen and i can use it to save games through the xbox no problem at all but when i try to copy ANY saved games either the ones with the software or the spilnter cell hacked saved game via the hacked action replay software on the pc it doesn't recognize the flash pen, any idea's where to go from here :-s

cheers in advance for any replies :)

• green-alien 28 Mar 2005 18:27:38 2 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    d'oh it's was me 7 in 1 card reader/usb port that was the trouble,used a different pc and everythings sorted :)

thx again razz and this forums useful users :) :)
  • demke 7 Apr 2005 05:57:10 1 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    Okay i am new to this and don't know what to do, i have read so many threads on the internet i am finally going to ask for some help,

i had some one soft mod my xbox with unleashX, and i wantto use xbox live and can't figure it out, can any one give me a good detail description on what to do. please

wes
  • Razz 7 Apr 2005 12:40:54 60,801 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    green-alien wrote:
    d'oh it's was me 7 in 1 card reader/usb port that was the trouble,used a different pc and everythings sorted :)

thx again razz and this forums useful users :) :)

\o/ :}

• Razz 7 Apr 2005 12:44:37 60,801 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    demke wrote:
    Okay i am new to this and don't know what to do, i have read so many threads on the internet i am finally going to ask for some help,

i had some one soft mod my xbox with unleashX, and i wantto use xbox live and can't figure it out, can any one give me a good detail description on what to do. please

wes

Unfortunately you cannot use Xbox Live with the softmod still installed. You will have to remove the softmod and restore your original MS Dashboard to use Live. Ask the person that softmodded your xbox if he/she backed up your original dashboard, if not you may have a serious problem. Or not if it's possible to copy an original dasshboard from someone else.... :/

• JaysonG 8 Apr 2005 01:23:35 825 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Slippy wrote:
    Hello again.

1) Softmod a new Xbox

If you want that and only that I recommend you take a look at this thread here I've been using my Xbox following this method for months now so I can play on my LCD monitor, and it does EXACTLY what you want.
  • JaysonG 8 Apr 2005 02:39:26 825 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh and Razz in your Guide did you backup your eeprom?
  • LaundroMat 10 Jun 2005 08:50:30 1,442 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    By the way, about Live & softmodding.

Using Krayzie's UXE installer, I am able to:
    - boot up into modded status immediately (as long as there's no original game disc in the drive)
    - and then boot up immediately into XBMC (and autoplay a delicate selection of music);
    - (by coldbooting with the original game disc in the drive) boot up a game and play on Live, without any repercussions whatsoever!

I find the latter both astonishing and great.

One thing to watch out for though. If there's a Live update to be done, and you haven't uninstalled the softmod[*], you'll get an error 21 screen. Simply switch off the mod, try again and everything's dandy again.

I'll add this to the softmod guide too btw.

[*] Done by re-running the hacked savegame and choosing "switch off softmod". Switching it back on is done in the same way.
  • kentmonkey 11 Jun 2005 15:06:09 20,456 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Okay, couple of questions before I go down this route:

1. Once soft-modded, can I back-up my save games on to my PC so I can transfer them back to a new XBOX (presumably would have to be soft-modded as well) if my XBOX gives up the ghost?

2. I don't have Splinter Cell anymore but I have got a savegame of it on my hard drive from when I had it, would that suffice?

3. My mate has a chipped XBOX with all the dashboard etc. etc. can we transfer the software across from his XBOX to mine?

4. How easy is this really to do & is there much chance of me cocking it up? I don't really understand it reading through the instructions but presume that when I'm doing it, it'll become clearer.

Any help greatly appreciated as I really want to back up the saves & don't want to lose everything, especially as my old XBOX is starting to make weird noises!
  • kentmonkey 11 Jun 2005 15:51:25 20,456 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks Furbs, appreciate that. My mate bought Splinter Cell off of me (different mate) so I can get that back easy enough.

Reference the recovery route you touched on, what would that be just in case?

All this trouble just to do something Microsoft should allow people to do out of the box in my opinion, back up their save game data! I don't want to play copied games or anything, just not lose all the hours I've put into the games I own.
  • kentmonkey 11 Jun 2005 17:27:39 20,456 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks mate, appreciate that.
  • Page

of 20 First / Last