-Updated USB adaptor cable link

27/04/06
    Furbs Xbox Media Centre setup/customising guide

05/01/06
    - Link to a easy to follow new Hard Drive installation Guide;
    - Updated SoftMod Link.

14/01/06
    -Updated Softmod Link

IT WORKS!!! And has all the features of a chipped Xbox, with the added bonus of being able to still use xbox live. :) :) :)

Ok, finally got round to doing this over the weekend. But I used a quite different way to Pirotic.

What I used

Firstly, I bought a xbox to usb-female converter. I figured out that the Action Replay/Datel Max Drive et al are just xbox formatted memory keys so a traditional PC formatted memory key should work with the converter. And it did! Be sure to use a blank memory key as the xbox will format it, once formatted you can use this hacked action replay program to transfer the 'crafty' savegame to your xbox. If you have a Action Replay or Datel Max Drive already you will still have to use the hacked program as the savegame won't transfer with the bundled software.
    I used Splinter Cell, but you can use Agent under fire and Mechassault too.

Formatting the memory key

All you need to do is connect a blank PC memory key to the usb converter while the Xbox is on, access the memory management screen in the Xbox dashboard, & select the memory key. An error message will pop up when the xbox tries to access it, something along the lines of "unrecognised card, it has been formatted". Great! Now exit the menu and turn off your Xbox. Connect the Xbox formatted Memory Key to your PC. DO NOT access it via explorer as Windows will try to reformat it. Open the hacked Action replay program and it'll show up in it. All you need to do now is drag and drop the 'crafty' save game into the memory card window.

UPDATE: Not all memory keys are compatible, check here to see if yours will work. (Cheers Furbs)
    Don't Panic! This list isn't complete and is regulary updated. If your key isn't compatible, I recommend you buy a Datel Max Drive which ranges from around 15, gameplay has them for 17.99 + delivery. Have a look on Ebay, I'm told you can get them cheaper there.
    Alternatively you can follow this guide (cheers obscured) on "using A Usb Stick To Transfer Gamesave Exploits!".

To aquire the crafty savegame...

Download Softmod Installer (torrent) (NDure is reccomended), also here. All 'crafty' save games are included, and follow the FAQ included, or use this guide.

If you can't get a copy, email me.

FYI This is what i did:

- Transferred the 2 splinter cell crafty savegames to my memory key via the hacked action replay program

- Copied the files from the memory key to the hard drive using the memory management section in the xbox dashboard

- Loaded up splinter cell

- Loaded the crafty savegame
    - Xbox resets with the Softmod menu

- Backed up my current MS dashboard (option given Softmod menu, nothing diffucult)(This lets you reinstate the normal xbox dash so you can use xbox live)

- Installed Softmod

- Installed evoultion-X (which came with dvd2xbox and a dvd player preinstalled!)

- Reset xbox
    - w00ted! \o/

- Connected Xbox to PC via Cross over network cable

- Setup FTP (the xbox uses 192.168.0.2 un:xbox pswd:xbox by default you can change it via EvoX if you wish)
    - w00ted! \o/

- Transferred emulators, proggys etc... (e:/apps, e:/games)

The FAQ will explain how to do all the above in easy to understand language, it is impossible to fuck this up, anyone with basic PC knowledge can do it.

Where to aquire apps and emulators
    Priotic mentions an FTP access where he aquired his save games, they also have loads useful apps and emulators,
    Pirotic wrote: For any files you need, google 'xbins' - its an IRC channel which gives out an FTP address (and a username/passy) for all sorts of goodies and tools, nothing illegal mind so not to worry.
    If you need any emulators, i can email them to you. You will need Xbox Media Centre to play divx, mp3 etc... a torrent for it should be availble on most torrent sites or xbins.org. It's a brilliant program it's able to stream movies to your xbox via your home network!

Bundled Softmod programs

dvd2xbox
    This program come bundled with EvoX, it's lets you copy xbox games to your Harddrive, which can be tranferred to your PC for backup purposes. i've backed up all my games, and they work perfectly from the harddrive! \o/

Dongle Free DVD player
    DVD video player for the xbox without need to buy the extorionate DVD pack, cool stuff! :)

Edited by Razz at 19:55:24 27-04-2006

Edited by Razz at 09:13:12 19-07-2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• sephy 14 Mar 2005 11:27:07 4,036 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nice, and I agree that its relatively fool proof....

BUT its still possible to kill your box (but you'd have to be really stupid and touch stuff not mentioned)

it doesn't quite have all the a features of a chip either - you can't shove in any old hd for a start (it still has to be locked into the system) which means loading games from hd is most likely out of the question

• Razz 14 Mar 2005 11:31:09 60,042 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    But you can run backed up games from a DVD-/+R/RW anyway, and possibly run games from the SMB Share (ftp). So tbh I don't see the need to the swap out the h/d for a larger one... well provided you have a DVD-Burner and a networkable pc.
    Also, most games range from 1-2.5Gig. but there are exceptions... Ninja Gaiden for instance is around 6Gig (impossible to copy to the xbox's bundled hard drive), but this is easily overcome as you cancopy games directly to your networked PC.

Edited by Razz at 11:34:19 14-03-2005

• unwashed 14 Mar 2005 11:32:08 1,857 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah, excellent work there Razzle, I just happened to pick up a converter for the xbox pad and a non-classic copy of Splinter Cell at the weekend... I shall be trying this soon-ish...
  • sephy 14 Mar 2005 11:35:58 4,036 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    But you can run backed up games from a DVD-/+R/RW anyway, and possibly run games from the SMB Share (ftp). So tbh I don't see the need to the swap out the h/d for a larger one... well provided you have a DVD-Burner and a networkable pc.
    Also, most games range from 1-2.5Gig. but there are exceptions... Ninja Gaiden for instance is around 6Gig (impossible to copy to the xbox's bundled hard drive), but this is easily overcome as you cancopy games directly to your networked PC.

Edited by Razz at 11:34:19 14-03-2005
    NG would fit actually - the drive is 8gb and only needs about 300mb to operate (including hacked dash and xbmc

It would just take some cleaning up

smb would take far too long I expect
  • Razz 14 Mar 2005 11:45:42 60,042 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yes, but the e:\ partition is only 4Gig... are you saying you can span the backup over 2 partitions?

• sephy 14 Mar 2005 11:49:59 4,036 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Yes, but the e:\ partition is only 4Gig... are you saying you can span the backup over 2 partitions?
    /bangs head againt wall

this just shows how little i look at the file structure of the xbox...

/almost only ever uses it for xbmc streaming
  • Razz 14 Mar 2005 11:56:26 60,042 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    /offers bandaid for sephys bruised forehead

np mate, don't get me wrong I'd swap out the hard drive of the xbox in a heartbeat if i could, but from what you've said only chipped xbox's are able to... :( just so i can do some research into what's your source mate? There must be a loophole somewhere...

• mouse Moderator 14 Mar 2005 12:20:49 10,312 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    possibly run games from the SMB Share (ftp)

I'm pretty sure that this is impossible - I gave it a quick go on my chipped box but without joy. If you think about it, I'd imagine that the network transfer speed wouldn't be high enough to get game content across quickly enough. Media playing works because it has the benefit of buffering.

I could be talking out of my arse here thought because I'm not much of a techie.
  • Deleted user 14 March 2005 12:22:08
    its surprisingly easy to add a new hd to a softmodded xbox.

xbox scene has a link to a special fatx enabled linux distro that includes special cloning tools and locking utilities for the drive. all you need is an eeprom and hd key dump of the xbox. which are easily obtainable using complex tools(also on xbins)
  • MikeD 14 Mar 2005 12:22:55 10,063 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    People run gamecube games from a shared network. I believe the gameplay itself works fine because it just gets loaded. But music and movies can stutter.

Not sure if they ever upped the network speed from 10 mb to 100 mb though.
  • Razz 14 Mar 2005 12:26:56 60,042 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DiscoStu wrote:
    its surprisingly easy to add a new hd to a softmodded xbox.

xbox scene has a link to a special fatx enabled linux distro that includes special cloning tools and locking utilities for the drive. all you need is an eeprom and hd key dump of the xbox. which are easily obtainable using complex tools(also on xbins)

w00t! Linkage please! :)

EvoX has an option to lock and unlock the HD, but didn't know what it meant so I didn't touch it.

• warlockuk 14 Mar 2005 12:29:21 19,103 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Did they ever work out exactly what gets targetted by the latest XBOX live banning system?

I'm not sure if they look for a changed hard drive or what; once I stopped using my box for live I didn't keep up with it. But if you change to many things (even by softmodding) surely you run the risk of the box getting banned on Live?

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Deleted user 14 March 2005 12:37:09
    Enjoy.

If there is anything of any worth saved on the xbox drive it can take hours for the cloning to finish but it does work.

/hugs big 160gb hdd in xbox
  • Whizzo 14 Mar 2005 12:39:19 42,772 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The USB connector on my Max Drive recently broke and I was about to order another one, I now realise I can get something much, much bigger if you can use a normal PC stick.

I just popped my half a gig in (there wasn't anything I needed on it) and it's got 31994 free blocks!

The Max Drive software doesn't recognise it by the looks of things but that's no problem as I hardly ever use it.

This space left intentionally blank.

• pjmaybe 14 Mar 2005 12:47:09 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hmmm doesn't work when I plug in my crappy old Dell USB memory stick...

Shame.

Peej
  • MikeD 14 Mar 2005 12:50:27 10,063 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you guys use a new HD you should look up unleashx bootcd (currently on version 3.2) made by exuser.

It has a choice of 4 dashboards (evox, avalaunch, unleashx ang hmm, something), all the tools you'll need, emulators, legale games (those homemade things) and even an xbox linux distro (gentoox).

I found it on usenet, but it's bound to be on bittorrent somehwere.

*cough*xbins*cough*
  • Deleted user 14 March 2005 12:58:22
    one more thing.

the live bannings of a couple of manths back were found to be ms linking the hard drive serial number with the eeprom of the xbox. change the hard drive and log into live after going on with a stock one any time after may 2004 will mean a ban.
  • MikeD 14 Mar 2005 13:04:49 10,063 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DiscoStu wrote:
    the live bannings of a couple of manths back were found to be ms linking the hard drive serial number with the eeprom of the xbox. change the hard drive and log into live after going on with a stock one any time after may 2004 will mean a ban.

That was just one of the rumours, right?
  • Razz 14 Mar 2005 14:09:36 60,042 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Peej & Whizzo: Hmmm.... that's strange. I had no problems using my memory key. It's not a big brand (TAGE), & the memory chip is made by samsung. Did you use the hacked Action Replay software to read the key?

• Whizzo 14 Mar 2005 14:45:37 42,772 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I said mine worked but the Max Drive software didn't, however there is a way to make it work as detailed here.

There also appears to be a bit of a problem using V1.6 Xboxes and a USB stick and as Peej has a newish Crystal that's probably why it doesn't.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Razz 14 Mar 2005 15:07:14 60,042 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    o_O Lego Starwars the video game? eh?! O_O

• sephy 14 Mar 2005 15:42:45 4,036 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    MikeD wrote:
    People run gamecube games from a shared network. I believe the gameplay itself works fine because it just gets loaded. But music and movies can stutter.

Not sure if they ever upped the network speed from 10 mb to 100 mb though.
    Gamecube games are also a lot smaller in size (max 800mb for GC disc, whereas most xbox games are much bigger then that)

As for swapping hd - I never meant to say it was impossible or difficult (although it is certainly a more advanced task), but it still isn't something that a softmod allows - it's a much more fundamental part of the xbox protection then the dashboard hacks deal with.

as for xboxlive bannings they WILL kill your account for using a non standard hard drive - it's not hard to detect it

Edited by sephy at 15:43:08 14-03-2005
  • Razz 14 Mar 2005 16:40:24 60,042 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thanks Furbs, I've updated the guide.

• HarryB 14 Mar 2005 17:01:55 6,054 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    you'd think all of this was new the way you guys talk about it :)
    /buffs veteran badge
  • Razz 14 Mar 2005 17:04:27 60,042 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    i've had a thought... perhaps you won't need to change the Xbox hard drive if you can find a usb hard drive that works with the xbox. A nice 100Gb Usb hard drive... hmm....

edit: I've had similar thoughts about all the DS threads floating about on the forum today ;)

Edited by Razz at 17:05:18 14-03-2005

• Mr_Dave 14 Mar 2005 17:16:14 496 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I softmodded a second xbox because I wanted to keep one for live. Has anyone tried using live from a softmodded box? The only reason I keep two is so that I can play Pro Evo on live, and I'm beginning to question whether that's enough to justify it.
  • sephy 14 Mar 2005 17:21:15 4,036 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    i've had a thought... perhaps you won't need to change the Xbox hard drive if you can find a usb hard drive that works with the xbox. A nice 100Gb Usb hard drive... hmm....
    The xbox doesn't make use of the mass storage device usb driver so it has no way to interface with a external drive. It's the same for using usb adapters to use snes/ps2/etc controllers

Dr Dave
    Has anyone tried using live from a softmodded box?
    I wouldn't advise it - they can probably detect the fonts mod easily
  • Slippy 14 Mar 2005 18:43:53 745 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Advice please!

I have a modded Xbox but have no idea what chip I have etc. At the time (about a year ago) it was a good one and I had it done by LondonConsole if that gives any indication. At the time I was told about all this stuff I could have put on but I said all I wanted to do was be able to play NTSC games and watch any region DVDs. No idea what flashing a bios involves so hopefully that will indicate my lack of game when it comes to this stuff.... Anyway, long story shorter than I could make it...

How easy is it to run XBMC? Is it a case of putting the files on a CD then booting the Xbox with the disc in the drive like when I wanna play DVD's from other regions than 2? Anything more technical than this and I reckon I'd screw my console up forever! A little help would be much appreciated :o)
  • MikeD 14 Mar 2005 18:57:40 10,063 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Slippy wrote:
    How easy is it to run XBMC? Is it a case of putting the files on a CD then booting the Xbox with the disc in the drive like when I wanna play DVD's from other regions than 2? Anything more technical than this and I reckon I'd screw my console up forever! A little help would be much appreciated :o)

If you find this unleashx bootcd I mentioned you can really easily install all kinds of nonsense. including xbmc.
  • Page

of 20 First / Last

Previous