Laptop suddenly can't run any game decently Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • Ziz0u 23 Jun 2014 13:36:39 11,006 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok guys, it runs flawlessly on my Intel on-board.
  • Ziz0u 23 Jun 2014 13:37:39 11,006 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @PearOfAnguish

Cool, thanks. Having a look.

Definitely something throttling my AMD GPU.
  • Deleted user 23 June 2014 13:47:10
    n/m!

Edited by Bremenacht at 13:47:38 23-06-2014
  • Ziz0u 23 Jun 2014 13:57:50 11,006 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    Could be a temperature thing? If there is a load of dust inside the GPU might be throttling back to keep things cool.

Found this discussion of the same problem on the same series of GPU: http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-17-m17x/635006-fixed-radeon-6990m-core-clock-stuck-100mhz.html

Few things to try in there, that guy fixed it by fiddling with the clock settings using AMD Overdrive.
    Well this does seem to be my problem.

In the meantime, I continued to do some research. I read about AMD Overdrive, which lets you set the clock of your card. However, AMD Overdrive wasn't present when I brought up Catalyst Control Center. I read how to cause Overdrive to show up: http://forum.notebookreview.com/alie...ml#post7975117. Overdrive showed that the max clock was indeed set to 715MHz. For some reason, that setting wasn't taking effect. I then read about a person with a 6970 in a Sagar that appeared to have a similar problem: http://forum.notebookreview.com/sage...ml#post8183454 . He changed the clocks to slightly different values, and that fixed the problem. I set my clocks to slightly different values as well, and that fixed the problem for me as well. I then set the clocks back to their original settings, and the problem did not return. I started skyrim up, it automatically selected Ultra settings, and now I'm getting great framerates.
    Hmm.. unfortunately AMD Overdrive isn't there. I assume it has been removed. I'm going to try a different overclocking software, but I did overclock with TriXX earlier and that didn't "unlock" the defaults.

Still good to know what the issue is though! :)
  • Dirtbox 23 Jun 2014 14:12:59 89,390 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Post deleted
  • PearOfAnguish 23 Jun 2014 14:14:07 7,573 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4645-amd-overdrive.html

Download for it there, though not sure if it's just a generic thing or whether it's hardware specific.
  • Ziz0u 23 Jun 2014 15:09:21 11,006 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Uninstalled the custom drivers and installing the ones from AMD.

Once that's done I'll check if Overdrive is there, otherwise I'll try the possibly generic one.

@Dirtbox

Yes... I see now that cleaning the registry does more harm than good.
  • Ziz0u 23 Jun 2014 15:43:04 11,006 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AMD Overdrive requires an AMD CPU so that's a no go.

I have tried adjusting the speeds with TriXX again but it isn't unlocking the speed like it did for those in the thread you linked. Not sure what to do. Bit frustrating seeing as the problem is now obvious.

Thanks to all replies so far.
  • Ziz0u 23 Jun 2014 16:02:22 11,006 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is it still possible that this was caused by dust or is it now more likely a software issue?
  • Dirtbox 23 Jun 2014 16:10:27 89,390 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Ziz0u 23 Jun 2014 16:24:03 11,006 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sorted! Well sort of.

I tried fiddling with MSI Afterburner and the settings saved. It didn't reset it to have a higher default all the time, but while MSI Afterburner is open it stays to what I have it set to. I can live with that. Thanks for the help everyone.

I have one last question though please. On MSI Afterburner it has MAX for the sliders. I assume I need to stay well away from the maximum? I don't really know what value to set the sliders to. MAX being 600 for the core speed and 800 for the memory.

I was under the impression that 600 and 800 were the defaults and anything over that is overclocking?
  • Ziz0u 23 Jun 2014 16:26:20 11,006 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also what temperature represents a danger zone generally?
  • Ziz0u 23 Jun 2014 16:38:48 11,006 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gone Home & State of Decay both running beautifully :)
  • PearOfAnguish 23 Jun 2014 16:40:36 7,573 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The zone of danger for GPUs is typically 90-95c. You shouldn't be hitting that unless something is wrong with your cooling or you're trying to overclock it and mine bitcoins or something.
  • Duffking 23 Jun 2014 16:42:39 14,920 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Zizoo wrote:
    Sorted! Well sort of.

I tried fiddling with MSI Afterburner and the settings saved. It didn't reset it to have a higher default all the time, but while MSI Afterburner is open it stays to what I have it set to. I can live with that. Thanks for the help everyone.

I have one last question though please. On MSI Afterburner it has MAX for the sliders. I assume I need to stay well away from the maximum? I don't really know what value to set the sliders to. MAX being 600 for the core speed and 800 for the memory.

I was under the impression that 600 and 800 were the defaults and anything over that is overclocking?
    Yeah if you want to OC something don't go anywhere near the max, you should just take small steps to make sure things stay stable.
  • Ziz0u 23 Jun 2014 16:49:19 11,006 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm hitting 75 degrees, but seemed stable. This was with it set near the max (+/- 550 and 750).

I just find it off that when I open MSI it has the speeds set to 600 and 800 by default but they also happen to be the max.

I really have no idea what they should be since MIN is 300 but that isn't the default?

I'll have to do some research concerning this specific GPU.

Very happy, thanks again!

Edited by Zizoo at 16:50:04 23-06-2014
  • Ziz0u 23 Jun 2014 16:55:44 11,006 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In this thread people seem to be setting it way beyond my 600/800 on their 6770M which I assume would be similar to my card.

Only going say 20% above the minimum (300/500) assuming that is the default wouldn't leave me with very much.
  • Ziz0u 23 Jun 2014 17:22:41 11,006 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sorry guys. Last post.

Looking at this:

600MHz for the GPU clock and 800MHz for the memory clock seems to be what's it's capable of. Why I can't go over that (what I understand would be overclocking) and it's displayed as the maximum on MSI Afterburner is beyond me. But surely leaving it set to just under max is ok then?

This is confusing.
  • Duffking 23 Jun 2014 17:58:43 14,920 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sorry, misread your post. If the MAX is what the stock clock is, then there shouldn't be a problem setting your speed to that.

For example if I run GPUZ on my laptop each GPUs stock clock is listed as 980mhz and has default of 980mhz.

On the other hand on my desktop if I boot up Afterburner, my stock clock speed is only about 10% along the slider past Min, so it varies from GPU to GPU.

I'd assume your GPU just doesn't allow overclocking, hence why the MAX is simply your stock clock speed.

Hopefully someone will confirm or correct me but you should be fine to just set the default clock so it matches your clock speed.

Edited by DUFFKING at 18:00:51 23-06-2014
  • Deleted user 23 June 2014 18:04:36
    You'd really not want to overclock on a laptop anyway. Very much so if it's one of those plasticy Acers. You're going from fixing an underclocking issue to wanting an overclock in a fairly short time!
  • Deleted user 23 June 2014 18:12:12
    I think the basic rules of overclocking are the same in laptops as desktops, heat heat and well heat. You may need to play with voltages to get a decent overclock the problem is the heat that comes from that and instablity.

The problem thourgh is that the threashold of fiddling to hit that heat wall are so much lower in laptops. Personally i wouldnt even bother with a laptop, the defaults should come from the drivers just stick with that. Overclocking is risky in laptops and can cause instablity issues anyway. In a well ventalitied desktop it is a different ball game and i reccommed anyone give a mild overclock with a desktop. Oh and another problem is that in laptops they often use OEM software and custom drivers, which can screw with other things as opposed to off the shelf drop in desktop gpus.

On unrelated point checking my MSi afterburner i see i have a couple of max sliders YAY! Despite the (correct) advice in this thread. It is a GTX770 in a full size case so totally unrelated, but pump that voltage you beast 770 you :) Althourgh sodding core clock is only +119.

Edited by Sharzam at 18:16:34 23-06-2014
  • Ziz0u 23 Jun 2014 18:40:37 11,006 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DUFFKING wrote:
    Sorry, misread your post. If the MAX is what the stock clock is, then there shouldn't be a problem setting your speed to that.

For example if I run GPUZ on my laptop each GPUs stock clock is listed as 980mhz and has default of 980mhz.

On the other hand on my desktop if I boot up Afterburner, my stock clock speed is only about 10% along the slider past Min, so it varies from GPU to GPU.

I'd assume your GPU just doesn't allow overclocking, hence why the MAX is simply your stock clock speed.

Hopefully someone will confirm or correct me but you should be fine to just set the default clock so it matches your clock speed.
    I have it set to just the below the supposed max and it's reaching temperatures of 75c maximum.

If that isn't a problem then I think I/we're correct.

Bremenacht wrote:
    You'd really not want to overclock on a laptop anyway. Very much so if it's one of those plasticy Acers. You're going from fixing an underclocking issue to wanting an overclock in a fairly short time!
    Heh, I don't actually want to overclock it, but without using an overclocking program I am stuck with the underclocking issue. So now it's just a matter of setting it to what it should be so I don't fix it but still set it lower than its normal level.

Sharzam wrote:
    I think the basic rules of overclocking are the same in laptops as desktops, heat heat and well heat. You may need to play with voltages to get a decent overclock the problem is the heat that comes from that and instablity.

The problem thourgh is that the threashold of fiddling to hit that heat wall are so much lower in laptops. Personally i wouldnt even bother with a laptop, the defaults should come from the drivers just stick with that. Overclocking is risky in laptops and can cause instablity issues anyway. In a well ventalitied desktop it is a different ball game and i reccommed anyone give a mild overclock with a desktop. Oh and another problem is that in laptops they often use OEM software and custom drivers, which can screw with other things as opposed to off the shelf drop in desktop gpus.

On unrelated point checking my MSi afterburner i see i have a couple of max sliders YAY! Despite the (correct) advice in this thread. It is a GTX770 in a full size case so totally unrelated, but pump that voltage you beast 770 you :) Althourgh sodding core clock is only +119.
    I'm trying to be as careful as possible, but with no information for my specific laptop/GPU it's difficult. I'm just using "below 90c" as the guideline. Once I determine that 600 / 800 are the defaults I'm happy to stick it there and never actually attempt to overclock (which I'm beginning to suspect i can't really do anyway).
  • Deleted user 23 June 2014 19:56:37
    Got ya. I guess whatever the published figures are for your laptop, stick with them.

I used notebookcheck for numbers.

What's handy is that it has a nice little DB of benchmarks per GPU, which you can try out and compare.
  • Ziz0u 23 Jun 2014 20:00:11 11,006 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Excellent, thanks!
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.