PS4 and Xbox One are massive power guzzlers

  • Page

    of 1

    Previous Next
  • Lamb 18 May 2014 20:34:22 474 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A new report reveals that the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One consume twice as much power as their predecessors, mostly waiting around in standby for something to do.

    http://www.t3.com/news/ps4-and-xbox-one-are-massive-power-guzzlers
  • Armoured_Bear 18 May 2014 20:38:29 11,280 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    "The report shows that the Nintendo Wii U is the most energy efficient console out of the three and the only one to reduce its energy consumption from the last generation. "

    \o/

    XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

  • midnight_walker 18 May 2014 20:40:26 1,994 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I call shennanigans. Maybe comparing the PS4 to a super slim PS3 will yield those results, but the launch PS3 was a beast, and I'm sure the PS4 is more efficient than it.

    Edited by midnight_walker at 20:40:50 18-05-2014
  • DFawkes 18 May 2014 20:54:53 22,983 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I do find it surprising that the Wii U uses less in standby than a 360. You'd have thought they'd be about the same given they do pretty much the same thing and just wait for you to switch them on.

    I rarely leave anything on standby unless I have a reason to though, like it's downloading something.

    Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

  • Furtive_Pygmy 18 May 2014 20:59:03 956 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    "The report shows that the Nintendo Wii U is the most energy efficient console out of the three and the only one to reduce its energy consumption from the last generation. "

    \o/
    That's because nobody turns it on.
  • yegon 18 May 2014 21:05:38 5,278 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Compared with the launch versions of last gen, not really. o_0 at the fat PS3!

    From the PS4 thread;

    oceanmotion wrote:
    Power consumption review



    More in depth at the link.
    Edited by yegon at 21:06:11 18-05-2014
  • mikew1985 18 May 2014 21:25:30 12,755 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    "The report shows that the Nintendo Wii U is the most energy efficient console out of the three and the only one to reduce its energy consumption from the last generation. "

    \o/
    It's also based on proper last gen technology which is way more energy efficient at this stage. Hardly  an unexpected statistic or even really something to pat them on the back about.

    Edited by mikew1985 at 21:26:52 18-05-2014
  • Armoured_Bear 18 May 2014 21:31:02 11,280 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    "The report shows that the Nintendo Wii U is the most energy efficient console out of the three and the only one to reduce its energy consumption from the last generation. "

    \o/
    It's also based on proper last gen technology which is way more energy efficient at this stage. Hardly  an unexpected statistic or even really something to pat them on the back about.
    Stop talking shite.

    XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

  • mikew1985 18 May 2014 21:36:35 12,755 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Feck that. I replied but the forum ate my post. Suffice to say I disagree with you and I really don't see where your counter argument could possibly lie.
  • yegon 18 May 2014 21:39:27 5,278 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    "The report shows that the Nintendo Wii U is the most energy efficient console out of the three and the only one to reduce its energy consumption from the last generation. "

    \o/
    It's also based on proper last gen technology which is way more energy efficient at this stage. Hardly  an unexpected statistic or even really something to pat them on the back about.
    Stop talking shite.
    Dunno, seem to remember reading how the Wii U is very much a souped up Wii, much like the Wii was a souped up GameCube. Yeah yeah, you could argue a lot of hardware is iterative, but in the case of GC->Wii->Wii U, seem to recall a startlingly linear upgrade of hardware, unlike the move from PowerPC->x86 and Cell->x86 in the case of Xbox and PS.

    /has a Wii U, isn't on the hate train
  • Pinky_Floyd 18 May 2014 21:44:45 7,907 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I know the ps4 gets hot hot hot.  Even just sitting on the dash.  The bone and wii u are much cooler in comparison.
  • dunts 18 May 2014 21:50:30 4,211 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It gets hot because the PSU is internal.
  • H1ggyLTD 18 May 2014 21:59:35 1,729 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Arsed.
  • Kichijoten 18 May 2014 22:41:13 1,373 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    I just read the report, shocking how much power they both use. If you stream a movie of either it uses about ten timed the electricity of a dvd player.

    Playing a game uses over four times the electricity.
  • PenguinJim 19 May 2014 03:18:02 5,865 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They all beat a moderate PC, though. GTX 770 power consumption, around 200-210W ingame. Doesn't even include CPU, HDD, etc.

    Very low idle consumption, though. Looks like an idling PC will beat out a PS4. That's so incredibly useful. I'm going to leave my PC idle all the time just to jeer at PS4 owners.

    Edited by PenguinJim at 03:18:59 19-05-2014
  • ubergine 19 May 2014 05:53:39 2,401 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's only so high because of Standby Mode, which has always been a total wank in every device ever, but Kinect takes it to a new level of wastefulness.

    http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

  • Fake_Blood 19 May 2014 07:14:27 4,215 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Imo xbox is worst because it needs to be on to watch tv. Should have a low power mode just for the hdmi passtrough. But then they can't overlay menu's to sell you stuff.
  • Page

    of 1

    Previous Next
Log in or register to reply