Halo 5: Guardians Page 3

• Page

of 228 First / Last

• Deleted user 16 May 2014 14:52:03
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Let's not get into this again, it's really dull. And moot, seeing as the proper order (as complete packages, in terms of 'feel' as much as features):

Halo 3 > Halo > Halo 2 > Halo: ODST > Reach > 4

I do very much like a lot about 4, but not as much as the rest. Reach was terrific, but MP messed ever so slightly too much with the 'feel' of play.
    That is not what I was asking though. I was just saying name me 1 console FPS that is better than the whole Halo 3 package. Campaign, MP + Forge + Theatre etc.

There isn't one. Even Bungie haven't managed this.
  • Ror 16 May 2014 14:55:24 16,900 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @RedSparrows Yeah, this is basically what I'm getting at.

Anyway, IMO Halo 3's greatest level is clearly The Covenant. Quite possibly the best level in the series, in fact.
  • MatMan562 16 May 2014 14:55:44 3,412 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is the most stupid criticism of the new game, but I don't like that it's Halo 5: Guardians. I'd much rather it was either Halo 5 or Halo: Guardians. So far the main numbered titles have been continuing Master Chief's adventures and the subtitles have been the spin-offs. I don't like change!

Is Halo 2's campaign really that bad? It's the only one I've not played and, stupid enough as it is, the main reason I'm planning on getting an Xbox One sooner rather than later is because I want to play it.
  • Rhaegyr 16 May 2014 14:56:47 4,019 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @mcmonkeyplc

Actually, you said Halo 3 was the pinnacle of console FPS' and someone disagreed, so you asked them to better it. Only now have you mentioned this 'complete package'.
  • Dizzy 16 May 2014 14:58:51 3,546 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That female Spartan has a blue visor glow.

Maybe it is Cortana? How? Don't ask me, it is SF after all. I guess you can do anything with Forerunner tech.
  • HelloNo 16 May 2014 15:00:18 1,997 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The campaign was alright, but the end had a great buildup into a weak conclusion. The story went that Halo 2 and 3 were meant to be one game but it wasn't looking feasible so they split it. Either was it was a bit of a let down at the time.

...You know I might just go and fire it up again.
  • Dizzy 16 May 2014 15:00:34 3,546 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Ror1984 Best level in the series is still The Silent Cartographer.Quite possibly the best level in a console FPS ever IMHO.

Edited by Dizzy at 15:00:52 16-05-2014
  • HelloNo 16 May 2014 15:01:12 1,997 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Ror 16 May 2014 15:01:29 16,900 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @MatMan562 Well, techinically the very first game in the series had a subtitle ;) Though that was pushed on Bungie by Microsoft, and obviously didn't really have any storyline/lore relevance.

Halo 2 isn't bad at all. In fact it's very good. I think it's the weakest SP in the series but that's no bad thing in a series that's as consistently high quality as Halo.
  • MatMan562 16 May 2014 15:04:10 3,412 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Ror1984 That's true actually! I always forget though and think people are talking about a special edition when they say Halo CE.

Fair enough, I'd want to play through it even if it was terrible just to complete the story anyway but worst Halo game sounds a bit like a back-handed compliment.
  • Deleted user 16 May 2014 15:04:43
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    @mcmonkeyplc

Actually, you said Halo 3 was the pinnacle of console FPS' and someone disagreed, so you asked them to better it. Only now have you mentioned this 'complete package'.
    What's the difference?
  • Widge Moderator 16 May 2014 15:06:07 13,858 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Widge wrote:
    I'd say Halo 3 has been bettered repeatedly in FPS terms. I came to it late in the day and have been spoilt by the titles I've played inbetween.
    Name me 1 console FPS that has bettered it?
    Perfect Dark and TimeSplitters 2, years before.

Edit - there's an argument for COD4 too.
    COD4 certainly has some merit, even though it's not my game really. Certainly had impact.

I came to Halo 3 having been exposed to things like Bioshock, Portal. Since then I've been on stuff like Left 4 Dead, Planetside, Dishonored, Deus Ex HR. All games which I would put higher up the list than Halo 3. I'll also clarify that I was really keen on it as I'd destroyed Halo 2, had no qualms with its campaign and was keen to check out how things panned out in the story. And it left me cold. Can't say I tried Forge but had no incentive to.

It's old now and has been bettered, this is why the newer iterations are not looked favourably on. It is trying to keep up with the market but can't do so as it still needs to be Halo. The best thing that could have happened to Halo would have been for Bungie to have said "DONE", draw a line under it and start on something fresh with the shackles off. Which they've done.

Halo has been trading on its title of "the console FPS" for a long time now, there is a lot of competition out there, all pushing things back.
  • Deleted user 16 May 2014 15:07:48
    Ok, again you're just talking about campaign.

Nevermind. We don't agree. :)

Edited by mcmonkeyplc at 15:08:02 16-05-2014
  • Deleted user 16 May 2014 15:09:04
    There is absolutely no way CoD4 did anything better than Halo 3. Not one single pixel was better, even by 0.1%. And PD/TS2? lol.

Christ, it's 2008 again!

/flees

I wouldn't say Dishonoured, Deux Ex or even Bioshock are really in the same genre.

Edited by RedSparrows at 15:09:53 16-05-2014
  • Ror 16 May 2014 15:10:21 16,900 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @MatMan562 Heh, well everyone pretty much just refers to it as 'Halo' or 'Halo 1' anyway, so I'm sure Bungie are pleased with that. It's a shame there never was a collectors edition actually, as it's the only game in the series I don't have one for.

Halo 2 is still a really good game, with some excellent sections, but it's a bit more linear than the first; it feels a bit more constrained than the first game. 'Narrow' might be a decent word if that didn't make it sound like a corridor shooter. Which is definitely isn't.

Either way, it's absolutely worth a playthrough, and I'm hoping an Anniversary edition is announced at E3. Actually, I'm hoping that War Collection that was rumoured is announced.
  • Rhaegyr 16 May 2014 15:16:37 4,019 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    @mcmonkeyplc

What's the difference?
    A lot I'd say - the amount of features/modes isn't a sure-fire way of judging a titles' quality.
  • Rhaegyr 16 May 2014 15:18:43 4,019 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Back OT - I'm quite torn on Halo 5 (and the series in general). Loved CE and Reach, thought the rest were pretty dull. I'm sure it'll be better than 4 though :-)
  • altitude2k 16 May 2014 15:34:24 5,238 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dizzy wrote:
    @Ror1984 Best level in the series is still The Silent Cartographer.Quite possibly the best level in a console FPS ever IMHO.
    This. Not many people remember it was a proper sandbox level in a console FPS.
  • Ror 16 May 2014 15:47:52 16,900 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    altitude2k wrote:
    Dizzy wrote:
    Huh. I missed that comment the first time around. Didn't get a notification either.

I think TSC is a very, very close second. I love that you can drive around the entire island, but I think The Covenant in Halo 3 has a bit more variety - it's basically everything that makes Halo Halo.

Start off with a beach assault, jump into a vehicle, drive through forested areas before diving into a Forerunner installation. Come back out, jump in a hornet, engage in aerial dogfighting and take out anti-air as you head to the second installation, before jumping in a tank, moving through a mountain and down the snow-covered slopes on the other side before battling TWO scarabs in the air or on the ground. It's got everything.

You can even board a scarab by driving a mongoose up a ramp.
  • Dizzy 16 May 2014 15:49:47 3,546 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Left 4 Dead, Planetside, Dishonored, Deus Ex HR. All games which I would put higher up the list than Halo 3
    L4D maybe yes... the rest... meh.
  • Dizzy 16 May 2014 15:53:21 3,546 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ror1984 wrote:
    altitude2k wrote:
    Dizzy wrote:
    Huh. I missed that comment the first time around. Didn't get a notification either.

I think TSC is a very, very close second. I love that you can drive around the entire island, but I think The Covenant in Halo 3 has a bit more variety - it's basically everything that makes Halo Halo.

Start off with a beach assault, jump into a vehicle, drive through forested areas before diving into a Forerunner installation. Come back out, jump in a hornet, engage in aerial dogfighting and take out anti-air as you head to the second installation, before jumping in a tank, moving through a mountain and down the snow-covered slopes on the other side before battling TWO scarabs in the air or on the ground. It's got everything.

You can even board a scarab by driving a mongoose up a ramp.
    It IS a great level... but in many ways it is a remake of The Silent Cartographer.
  • Ror 16 May 2014 15:54:25 16,900 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If I had to compare it to an earlier level, I'd probably say it's closer to Assault on the Control Room, personally.
  • morriss 16 May 2014 15:57:53 71,290 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Xbox One incoming autumn 2015.
  • morriss 16 May 2014 15:58:57 71,290 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Assault on the Control Room for me, TSC close second. AotCR has everything.
  • Ror 16 May 2014 15:59:12 16,900 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apparently, the second character in the art is male.
  • morriss 16 May 2014 16:02:46 71,290 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Depends on who replied saying it isn't.
  • Ror 16 May 2014 16:03:59 16,900 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Supposedly that's Frankie.
  • MatMan562 16 May 2014 16:15:21 3,412 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think I'm in the minority where Halo 4 is my favourite Halo game and my favourite competitive fps mp. Having said that, I'd welcome a return to a more Arena shooter style mp with no load-outs and the like. It's just more interesting and better suiting for Halo imo. I think completing Halo4's campaign on Legendary solo is my greatest video game achievement (in both senses) to date so I'm looking forward to trying that again in Halo 5!
  • Page

of 228 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.