The Mars Volta

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 4 March 2005 23:31:14
    I've started listening to De-Loused in the Comatorium again today, and it's amazing. Why does no one else like them?

If you haven't heard of them they're, as Realplayer says, Art Rock. Basically, a bit experimental but really good, guitar solos (If slightly pretentious if you know what I mean), and the singing's a bit high-pitched, but apart from that, they're fantastic.

They also have a new album out, Frances the Mute, if anyone's interested.

But, as I said earlier, why does no one else like them?
  • StixxUK 4 Mar 2005 23:52:10 7,293 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Other people do like them. Just not as much as At The Drive In.

Or is that just me? ;)
  • mal 5 Mar 2005 00:02:38 22,843 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've heard stuff by them on the radio recently, and I must've liked it enough for the name to register with me, but otherwise they haven't exactly blown me away. What songs might I have heard? Maybe the names will remind me.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• mwtb 5 Mar 2005 03:43:01 2,381 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago

Err... it's indie prog rock. Zappa/Yes/E,L & P and in foreign too! I'm amazed anyone has even heard of it, although I'm expecting to find some sort of lesser proto-Radiohead first student-friendly album type beginning behind it all.

Personally, I happened upon it in the newsgroups. I was somewhat taken by at least a third of it. This is a remarkable ratio... I like it.
  • Orange 5 Mar 2005 10:43:33 4,900 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Other people do like them. Just not as much as At The Drive In.

Or is that just me? ;)
    Hehe me as well :)

At The Drive In were perfect for me, experimental but still with a bit of structure, Mars Volta are a bit too far over the edge. I've still got both their albums though and the EP they did.
  • victor 5 Mar 2005 11:02:39 205 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    I heard their new album and my first reaction was : these guys take way too much drugs. Then i listened to it again and now i have the feeling it might click...

I always thought it funny that ATDI was supposed to be straight edge while the band did their gigs shot full of heroin. heh.

And i do believe they are quite popular, they get some airplay on the radio over here at least.
  • StixxUK 5 Mar 2005 12:52:30 7,293 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yep, those guys certainly used to take a lot of drugs. I read a funny interview once where they were going on about asking fans if they knew where they could buy crack after gigs and the fans being shocked. Not sure if they're still that bad; I know "Deloused" was largely written about their mate that died of an overdose not long ago.

Yet another example of how massive amounts of drugs can lead to amazing music!
  • asha 5 Mar 2005 15:06:36 2,009 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Yep, those guys certainly used to take a lot of drugs. I read a funny interview once where they were going on about asking fans if they knew where they could buy crack after gigs and the fans being shocked. Not sure if they're still that bad; I know "Deloused" was largely written about their mate that died of an overdose not long ago.

[Im a huge Mars Volta fan] 'Slight' correction here Deloused in the comatoriam was mostly written about their old high school friend who over dosed on rat poison and many other substances and fell into a coma, the album is mostly about his experiences in the coma.
    He later woke up from the coma and jumped of an overpass into rush hour traffic.
    Now the "Mate" i think your referring to is Jeremy Ward a band member who died of an heroin over dose after they had finished recording Deloused, Jeremy partly influenced their new album Frances The Mute, In particular the song "The Widow" which i always think was written about the lead singer (Cedric Bixler Zavala) missing him yet always feeling like hes their, i always feel this when I hear these lyrics-
    "And I hear him every night
    In every pore
    And every time he just makes me warm".

Sorry about the essay, i hope people find it interesting.

You can find out more about the band here The Comatorium.com

Edited by asha at 15:07:18 05-03-2005

Edited by asha at 15:11:52 05-03-2005
  • Deleted user 6 March 2005 16:22:55
    asha wrote:
    StixxUK wrote:

[Im a huge Mars Volta fan] 'Slight' correction here Deloused in the comatoriam was mostly written about their old high school friend who over dosed on rat poison and many other substances and fell into a coma, the album is mostly about his experiences in the coma.
    He later woke up from the coma and jumped of an overpass into rush hour traffic.
    Now the "Mate" i think your referring to is Jeremy Ward a band member who died of an heroin over dose after they had finished recording Deloused, Jeremy partly influenced their new album Frances The Mute, In particular the song "The Widow" which i always think was written about the lead singer (Cedric Bixler Zavala) missing him yet always feeling like hes their, i always feel this when I hear these lyrics-
    "And I hear him every night
    In every pore
    And every time he just makes me warm".

Sorry about the essay, i hope people find it interesting.

You can find out more about the band here The Comatorium.com

Edited by asha at 15:07:18 05-03-2005

Edited by asha at 15:11:52 05-03-2005

So the traffic wasn't moving? ;P

Yeah, I'd figured out that it was about a guy in a coma (Televators gave it away), but wasn't too sure about the rest.

cubby, I'm only pointing out faults with them. I like them, but I know they're not perfect.

They're playing at the Barrowlands on the 11th, would've liked to have gone but it's sold out. I had to laugh when the age limit was 14+ though. "Anyone got any crack?". I beg to differ.
  • Precision-Auto 6 Mar 2005 17:15:45 345 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gotta love this band, but there's definitely a time and a place for them. People complain that they are pretentious and do everything they can to combat the 3 minute pop song, but they wouldnt be the same band if they werent like that and thats why I love em.

Dont suppose anyone's got a spare ticket for the show in Manchester on the 12th? I'm really crap at ordering tickets these days, everything seems to sell out before I've even got my wallet out. Oh and plus I dont have the assets or the lack of morals to support them ebay terrorists!

Edited by Precision Auto at 17:16:36 06-03-2005
  • mal 9 Mar 2005 01:37:11 22,843 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mal wrote:
    I've heard stuff by them on the radio recently, and I must've liked it enough for the name to register with me, but otherwise they haven't exactly blown me away. What songs might I have heard? Maybe the names will remind me.
    To answer my own question, turns out I've been listening to 'The Widow'. 'Tis pretty good, but it seems to me far more mainstream than radiohead stuff. Decent soul-ish vocal over a good tune.

Still, I did just pick up a Dot Allison CD today, so maybe by judgement of mainstream is a bit off.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• ssuellid 28 Feb 2006 13:30:48 19,141 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've not got to bothering to google yet but Sister Ray have Scab Dates CD in their price list as a CD album. Never heard of it - new album?
  • mouse 28 Feb 2006 13:34:15 10,310 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They played like a 3 hour set at ATP last year. I walked in to see what they were like and I thought they were okay but I started to get a bit bored as they meandered a lot. So I trotted off to get a drink, then grab a burger, then chatted to some mates, then about 90 minutes later I walked back into the room and they were playing the same song.
  • cubbymoore 28 Feb 2006 13:36:46 36,507 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Hunam85 28 Feb 2006 14:12:47 4,114 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sparta > Mars Volta
  • ssuellid 28 Feb 2006 14:15:49 19,141 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You don't seem to like much music, Mouse. From recent comments.
  • mouse 28 Feb 2006 14:21:31 10,310 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ssuellid wrote:

Here we go again...

/steps away from the music thread

All I did was relay my experience for goodness sake. They actually did play a 3 hour set. I didn't even say I didn't like them, I said "I thought they were ok".

Edited by mouse at 14:24:09 28-02-2006
  • Teeth 28 Feb 2006 14:23:09 7,987 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nearly fell asleep when I went to their concert. And I like all sorts of slow, dull, landscaped music. I like Televators though. They didn't play it.
  • ssuellid 28 Feb 2006 14:36:27 19,141 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mouse wrote:
    ssuellid wrote:

All I did was relay my experience for goodness sake.

Likewise. Just an impression I've got - not noticed anything positive said in a music thread recently.

Yes they do waffle on live like a less hippy Gong.
  • mouse 28 Feb 2006 14:43:04 10,310 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well I can't help that. I'm not going to make up positive opinions to make myself more palatable :)

I have expounded the virtues of many bands on these forums over the years, but sadly people only ever seem to remember me getting a bee in my bonnet.
  • Huntcjna 28 Feb 2006 14:52:22 13,877 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ssuellid wrote:
    I've not got to bothering to google yet but Sister Ray have Scab Dates CD in their price list as a CD album. Never heard of it - new album?

Scab Dates is just a live album.
  • Huntcjna 28 Feb 2006 14:52:31 13,877 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hunam85 wrote:
    Sparta > Mars Volta

True
  • Hunam85 28 Feb 2006 14:58:33 4,114 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JC2 wrote:
    One of my all time favourite songs is Inertiatic Esp but I haven't heard much else they have done. I've been meaning to get their album for a while now.

Only song of theirs i can stomach, the rest is mindless prentece, they wanna be arty prog rock, they fail so bad, and fracis the mute was utter toss.

Want prog art rock? listien to tool.
  • Ares 19 Feb 2008 11:36:23 1,822 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Bedlam in Goliath! Arrived in the post today! :D

/scampers off
  • PazJohnMitch 19 Feb 2008 11:48:30 8,743 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bring back AT THE DRIVE IN!
  • Ares 19 Feb 2008 19:29:17 1,822 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ja_Long wrote:
    Shame they sound like a shitty garage band tuning up.

Sir, I disagree.

You have made an objective assertion of such flagrant inaccuracy it hardly merits a rebuttal. Nonetheless ... U R GHEY!

:)
  • Deleted user 19 February 2008 19:31:46
    Going to see them in under a month. Finally, after 5 years. :)
  • TakeTheVeil 19 Feb 2008 19:31:54 5,058 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I kinda like Goliath... thought i wouldnt but they surprised me. Doubt anything will sound as fresh and fantastic as Deloused though..

..still.. Theyre a great band to choose for Audiosurf...
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous