Death

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Defecationqueen 7 May 2014 00:39:10 559 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    No, I'm not giving a forecast for the Xbone's immediate future. I mean death, in the "Fuck - who turned out all the lghts?" sense.

It's something I regularly think about; thoughts of how fleeting life is, how ultimately pointless it all is. Or is it? Is there a point to it all? If there isn't, then what's the point in trying to achieve goals when death will simply wipe clean the slate of your existence?

The accumulation of wealth is prized above all in most parts of the world. Yet we slave away most of our life in pursuit of the dream of fortune only for it to ultimately count for nothing upon our death.

The hermit who lives in a cave, never having experienced the wider world, dies with just as much personal achievement as the person who lived life to the full. Both lives are blotted out in the eternity of oblivion. Does it matter either way?

I always find it strange seeing old photographs/films, knowing that the people in them no longer exist. To think, in time the same can be said for us, for everyone we know and love - it will be like we never existed. It's strange. It doesn't fill me with depression.....just a sense of aimlessness.

What about you folks? Do you ever think of death? Does the thought of dying bother you?

I'm not trying to be morbid, I just genuinely find the whole thing fascinating.

It's like being on a train journey knowing that the only way the train is going to stop is with a fatal collision.
  • Kami 7 May 2014 01:21:48 2,459 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Death is a natural occurrence when the human body runs out of time.

It is not my death that bothers me. The act of dying is a relatively simple thing - you just expire. It's living knowing the chaos and pain that follows inside the people you love that hurts me most. Knowing that my siblings will have to put up with our family circling like the vile, nasty little vultures they are. Knowing that they'll have to listen to endless religious nagging, about "How to do it right".

Knowing that they'll be hurting through all of this, and having to make arrangements - hopefully, I can help there by saving something for my cremation (no matter if Jo jokingly remarks about burying me so I can come back for the zombie uprising - I keep trying to tell her that the zombie uprising won't make dead people come back to life, it'll affect those dying during it... and fuck necromancy in the eye socket! Eternal enslavement is NOT my idea of a good time...).

It's not death that bothers me. It's life, and making the preparations for death, that pisses on my chips.

Death is the easy bit. I show up and die. Easiest event of my existence.

Although the amount of near-misses I've had, I'm sure the Reaper himself will be there to say, "Do you have ANY FUCKING IDEA how late you are, you selfish piece of shit? Some of us have WORK to be doing!"

Master of Tekisuto No Kabe. *bows*
    And you're reading this why?!

• b0rk 7 May 2014 01:37:11 2,866 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    's a bit morbid, init? I come here to stop thinking about death.

• twelveways 7 May 2014 05:08:01 4,061 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Probably best not to click on threads titled 'Death' then...
  • b0rk 7 May 2014 06:12:06 2,866 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
  • LeoliansBro 7 May 2014 06:34:04 44,502 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Your life may be brief from the perspective of the universe, but who cares about that? The important thing is to see it from your perspective, and from there it is quite literally all there is.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Sharzam 7 May 2014 06:58:45 2,987 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Or you can take comfort in knowing it is the one thing guaranteed. Many things separate people and we decide to segregate our selves further. But you can be sure of dieing one day.

What happens next is up for debate, personally I think it is just lights out and that's it. Totally out of your control, one day it just happens. All you can do is have fun while you can. What you see as fun of course is up to you, some might think money some may not. And yes humans are insignificant in the wider scheme of things but why does that matter to the individual. When I die, no one will remember me, I wouldn't of changed anything and the world will keep on turning. But why does that matter?

In short, don't worry about it just enjoy what you can.

Edited by Sharzam at 07:00:52 07-05-2014

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• captbirdseye 7 May 2014 07:05:20 5,082 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fucking midi-chlorians.
  • Khanivor 7 May 2014 07:14:25 40,935 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I find that, somewhat paradoxically, the older I get the less I worry about death.
  • skuzzbag 7 May 2014 07:57:27 5,650 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah same here couldn't care less about it. My wife and I have agreed that if we could our dead useless bodies would be thrown in the dump.

(Actually I have got a donor card)
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 7 May 2014 08:03:14 38,617 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Having kids kinda "broke" me as far as thinking about death is concerned. I'm a little bit better now, but for a while there it got to the point where I couldn't sit alone at night as I'd think about it.

I mean, I won't give a shit once I'm dead but I don't want my life to end. I want to see everything my kids ever achieve and do, and to think I won't see all of their potential made me very... sad.

But still, my mind works against me. I'll literally be sat reading, or driving or lying in bed etc and my mind will say to me "You'll die and you don't know when", that familiar anxious feeling hits and it'll be all I can think about for a while. I'm actually able to tell myself to stop it which seems to make it go away a lot quicker now though, so my outlook is brightening for the first time in about 4 years. Which is nice.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• LeoliansBro 7 May 2014 08:14:32 44,502 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm slowly coming to realise that all the cliches about ageing (that I scoffed at as a young man) are basically true.

They say when you're old you are prepared for death. I hope so, because I really am not at the moment.

• DamoVotf 7 May 2014 08:22:09 573 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I plan to live forever or die trying.

(Bonus points if you can name the book).
  • JiveHound 7 May 2014 08:22:49 2,533 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    As long as my death is akin to me falling asleep I can deal with it. It's the suffering I'm scared of and also of being old with my body giving up on me gradually.

Death does make me ultimately fatalistic. I do often what actually is the point to anything I do. Death bed mentality can free you from a lot of your worries too. Nothing truly matters in the end.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• LeoliansBro 7 May 2014 08:25:47 44,502 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DamoVotf wrote:

'Live forever or die in the attempt.'

Catch 22.

• DamoVotf 7 May 2014 08:28:10 573 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    DamoVotf wrote:

'Live forever or die in the attempt.'

Catch 22.
    Great book and I think it helped me put perspective on a lot of this stuff.

I think if you can get your head round that mentality it can help.
  • Aargh, 7 May 2014 08:34:46 292 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I don't ever think about it. Live for today not for your legacy.

Operating systems complete me

• thedaveeyres 7 May 2014 08:35:55 11,232 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The salmon mousse.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• MrTomFTW Moderator 7 May 2014 08:39:59 38,617 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    The salmon mousse.
    "It's a Mr Death or something. He's come about the reaping."

• chopsen 7 May 2014 08:48:57 16,125 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Think about it all time. Funny old thing isn't it?

Have to say I'd find the iea of being sentient for ever sounds terrifying, so in a way I'm kind of glad it'll happen eventually. Not too keen for it to be too soon, too much stuff to do.

I am more worried about getting old and ill/demented/infirm than actually dying.
  • Deckard1 7 May 2014 08:56:04 28,675 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think about it quite a bit. One way of looking at it, is that all the shit you're made out of has been here since the start of time one way or another, so once you die you may just start that cycle of being slowly evolving into something sentient again and your consciousnesses may exist again someday. Kind of a (crazy) scientific view of reincarnation. I think I was incredible high when I went down that particular rabbit hole.
  • Deleted user 7 May 2014 08:57:41
    Gone through some angst and worry about death during my life. It started when I was young and heard "Seasons in the Sun" (yeah that dates me) and first realised that my parents would die.

These days, I realise that at any moment I could die through a heart attack or a blood clot or a dodgy driver and that all that worrying I did the day before was utterly pointless. I try and live in the moment more and more and to help do this, I try and do mindful meditation. That way, I worry less about what I screwed up in the past (and cant change) and what may or may not happen in a future I may or may not live to see.

I recall watching Dead Poet's Society and seeing the old pictures of the people who are long since dead and saying "Carpe Diem", which is something I try (and usually fail) to live by and have on my phone screen.

I "thought" about trying to get immortality through publishing a book or doing something "famous", but figured "what's the point"? Dickens is still dead no matter how many people read his words. Besides, despite my best efforts, there are traces of me throughout the internet no doubt. So now, I try and live each day as best I can and to try not to worry about what the future holds.

We're alive for what is in comparison to recorded history a tiny amount of time and chances are we will make no more difference than a ripple on a pond. Some may cure disease or create a masterpiece that resonates through the ages, but we'll all die one day (medical science aside).

Oh and I've reached an age where things are starting to go wrong in my body due to age (arthritis / dodgy knee / long sightedness / hearing loss / aches and pains) and I can understand better my parent's when they say they are sick of the aches and pains and they are ready to go. Life is wonderful when you're in your prime, but I think the ageing process prepares you for the eventual result.

Until then... carpe diem. God alone knows what is around the corner and if its a juggernaut, it would be quite apt my last words were all about not worrying about the future too much :)

Edited by LegacySystem at 09:06:31 07-05-2014
  • quadfather 7 May 2014 09:27:35 12,851 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I definitely think about it in a different way now that I suppose I'm classed as 'middle aged' (42, though I still think I'll act like I'm 30 forever). Sometimes, I think what MrTomFTW thinks (though I don't have kids, but you can still relate it to family/friends etc), and other times I think what LegacySystem said.

I find the more I think about space/universe/what's it all about etc, the more it triggers the spiraling thought process.

Sometimes I relate it to achievements in life too. I'm often found thinking, "Ok, so if you died tomorrow, what have you actually achieved?". I don't mean money, I mean personal achievement and/or learning.

That can be a double edged sword though, as it can make you take the viewpoint that others are just wasting their time / are unaware of all of these thoughts, or just haven't started thinking about them or simply don't care. But at the end of the day, there's no rulebook, and what has their lifestyle got to do with me, apart from bugger all?

/spirals again

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• quadfather 7 May 2014 09:31:52 12,851 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There's a good interview somewhere where the interviewer is talking to Jack Nicholson about life in general, and Jack starts talking about death as well. I'll try and dig it out.

And I also try and live life like this as much as I can (without harming others) -

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• robc84 7 May 2014 10:02:08 5,794 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Having kids kinda "broke" me as far as thinking about death is concerned. I'm a little bit better now, but for a while there it got to the point where I couldn't sit alone at night as I'd think about it.

I mean, I won't give a shit once I'm dead but I don't want my life to end. I want to see everything my kids ever achieve and do, and to think I won't see all of their potential made me very... sad.

But still, my mind works against me. I'll literally be sat reading, or driving or lying in bed etc and my mind will say to me "You'll die and you don't know when", that familiar anxious feeling hits and it'll be all I can think about for a while. I'm actually able to tell myself to stop it which seems to make it go away a lot quicker now though, so my outlook is brightening for the first time in about 4 years. Which is nice.
    This.

I've always worried about death to a certain extent. My dad passed away when I was 12, after a long illness, and it's only as you get older that you think about how horrible that must have been for him. Knowing you will not see your kids grow up. At the time you just think of it from your own perspective (I've lost my dad etc...).

Since I had my son though I'm now terrified I'll miss him growing up and tend to get quite anxious about it. I try not to think about it but it's hard.

The human mind is a both a great and horrible thing :-(
  • beastmaster 7 May 2014 10:12:36 11,580 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ...or Um Bongo?

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 7 May 2014 10:21:14 38,617 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    On the plus side, I no longer sit around and fret over my stupid mistakes and embarrassing moments from the past - it's all about the future now :D

• SamNunn92 7 May 2014 10:23:49 262 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Due to quite a serious illness I've had quite a lot of time to think about this and reached 2 conclusions:

1) I'm more frightened of dying than being dead. That knowledge that you're finally going and panic setting in etc is not something I'm particularly looking forward to, but once I'm actually gone I don't expect I'll mind much, being dead and all.

2) I'm more frightened of not being remembered than being dead. My legacy is something I've thought a lot about, and initially it was the whole write a book, record an album etc thing (things I still intend to try and do) but I think actually your legacy can be in the people you leave behind. Children is an obvious one, but also the people that knew you thoughout your life and their memories of you are also a part of it. I think there are only a few remarkable people who have lasted in the common consciousness further than about 100 years post-death, and a tiny amount 1000 years post, so even if you did achieve something incredible ultimately you will be forgotten by the public at large. But you will last a lot longer in your family's and friends' collective memory.

Therefore, I have decided to make the most of the years I'm here and spend the time I have doing the things I like with the people I love. Far better that than wasting my life worrying about the one thing which is absolutely guaranteed to happen to everyone :)
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 7 May 2014 10:25:46 38,617 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago

• Deckard1 7 May 2014 10:30:43 28,675 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Statistically speaking, one of the regs is going to die early. Probably in a horrible accident. I'm going with Mr Tom.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous